hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Bank Scam doing the rounds.

Admins please close thread if considered inappropriate. Just passing it on.

Extremely sophisticated scam going about this morning. Definitely Danske bank customers but possibly all banks. You get a message saying a payment hasn’t been taken eg O2 and to click here. As soon as you touch it the money is gone. They already have all your details and it’s the most advance scam the bank has ever seen. Pass this on to everyone. Please. This is from work this morning - they are being inundated with calls - thousands flying out of peoples accounts. (From cousin in a bank!!)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Text message Jim ?

Do those people who have been scammed get there money back from the bank..?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Text message Jim ?
    Yes. My daughter forwarded the text to me.

If you receive a phone call starting 0147 - 289 (and don't know anybody in the Grimsby area)... hang up immediately.

The Police are currently investigating scammers using this particular area code... though there's a strong possibility they've somehow hacked into the local telephone network and are actually based elsewhere.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Yes. My daughter forwarded the text to me.
    Cheers. I'll let my mother know.

I have my phone set to "do not disturb" then set permissions to allow contacts only to get through to me. At the end of each day there are several numbers who tried calling me. I block them but it is getting worse.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I only answer a call on my mobile from a number I have stored, and I never answer my house phone at all now

First Team Regular
    Actually got that text this morning, from an unknown number, luckily i didnt do anything with it - thanks for the heads up!

I forwarded the message on to O2 to investigate

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I only answer a call on my mobile from a number I have stored, and I never answer my house phone at all now
    Same here Billy 9 times out of 10 they are scammers.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    I have my phone set to "do not disturb" then set permissions to allow contacts only to get through to me. At the end of each day there are several numbers who tried calling me. I block them but it is getting worse.
    As do I, on the land line I let it ring through to the answer phone, real people leave a message. As an after thought I've stopped getting cold or scam calls over the last week.

Coaching Staff
    For those isolating and maybe want something productive to do, try and do the e learning package that Trading Standards set up on their national website - and pass on the advice / link to others who may be able to watch out for those that are sadly vulnerable to these despicable scammers !

https://www.friendsagainstscams.org....ends-elearning

Get safe online is also a fantastic resource for information....

https://www.getsafeonline.org/

Lastly, and this is a great site, sign up for Neighbourhood Watch 'Alerts' - you don't have to be in a group, you can sign up as an individual, and you can add content and warnings (such as this) for others in the area / city.........really good, and you can get alerts by text/email, etc. and see what is happening in your street, area, city, nationwide, etc.

https://www.neighbourhoodwatchscotla...up-for-alerts/

Thanks for the 'heads up' Jim

Extremely sophisticated scam going about this morning. Definitely Danske bank customers but possibly all banks. You get a message saying a payment hasn’t been taken eg O2 and to click here. As soon as you touch it the money is gone. They already have all your details and it’s the most advance scam the bank has ever seen. Pass this on to everyone. Please. This is from work this morning - they are being inundated with calls - thousands flying out of peoples accounts. (From cousin in a bank!!)
    Absolutely ****my behaviour, particularly at this time.

If they already have your details why do they need you to click a link in the message. Or am I missing something ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vahibbie View Post
    If they already have your details why do they need you to click a link in the message. Or am I missing something ?
    No idea, but the fact the bank is saying it’s a very sophisticated scam, suggests that there’s a method to their madness. I don’t think I would be too fussy about learning the nuts and bolts. I assume also that it is a genuine scam and not somebody playing games.

First Team Breakthrough tigerted's Avatar
    You cannot have money taken from any account, by just tapping on a text. You would need to have voluntarily logged in to your bank/account etc and completed personal questions and passwords that only you should know. Asking others to pass on this type of text or email on to others just perpetuates these type of myths or fake news!

Blog Entries
    Oops. I can’t seem to close the thread. Maybe an admin could do the necessary.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Was about to say it was probably fake, son works for a bank and pretty sure he would have heard about this today at work.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    My first thought was that it was a hoax, but in my line of work I usually do.

However, I searched all the usual sites and found no trace so thought maybe it was a real alert..

I agree though, just ignore these type of messages. I do.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Quote Originally Posted by tigerted View Post
    You cannot have money taken from any account, by just tapping on a text. You would need to have voluntarily logged in to your bank/account etc and completed personal questions and passwords that only you should know. Asking others to pass on this type of text or email on to others just perpetuates these type of myths or fake news!
    Absolutely. If people think about this, it’s impossible.
    Did it start on Facebook ???

Banks never txt you with this stuff. So just never ever click on a txt msg attchement. Same goes with any government body.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Completely different but my wife and I got emails saying that our Apple accounts needed to be reactivated. Everything about the email screamed Apple except the url which was fairly close

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    Do those people who have been scammed get there money back from the bank..?
    Some do yes. If the bank are signed up the Contingent Reimbursement Model and they have taken reasonable steps to try and protect themselves they might be refunded.

Danske bank aren’t signed up to it so their customers probably don’t get anything back unless they can recover it from the receiving bank

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’d like to see the ****ers try and get money out of my bank account, they’d probably be hit with a charge

United we stand here....

I suspect this is one of your typical social media scaremongering texts. Sounds like a load of nonsense to me.

I've just received a text saying I have 1 new alert from H.M which requires immediate action. Then a link to a dot com website called hnrnic. I obviously haven't clicked the link and googled the name of the website to see if it was a noted scam but nothing is coming up in the search. Anyone came across this?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    I've just received a text saying I have 1 new alert from H.M which requires immediate action. Then a link to a dot com website called hnrnic. I obviously haven't clicked the link and googled the name of the website to see if it was a noted scam but nothing is coming up in the search. Anyone came across this?
    I had something similar yesterday when I got a phone call from “HM RC” saying there was a tax fraud from my address and I was given the option to speak to an “ advisor” I think there’s quite a bit from HMRC at the moment and they always write if it’s real

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    I had something similar yesterday when I got a phone call from “HM RC” saying there was a tax fraud from my address and I was given the option to speak to an “ advisor” I think there’s quite a bit from HMRC at the moment and they always write if it’s real
    Got the same to my email and alias.