hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diego maradona

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Diego maradona

Fancy a football fix?

Diego Maradona the Movie Documentary on Channel 4 tonight at 9pm

A fascinating insight into the life and times of a complicated football genius

Well worth a watch or recording to watch later to ease the boredom of lockdown

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fancy a football fix?

Diego Maradona the Movie Documentary on Channel 4 tonight at 9pm

A fascinating insight into the life and times of a complicated football genius

Well worth a watch or recording to watch later to ease the boredom of lockdown
    Super stuff. Thanks for pointing out Billy. Looking forward to seeing this!

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Super stuff. Thanks for pointing out Billy. Looking forward to seeing this!
    Yeah saw it at the Cinema fascinating camera angles and interesting fly on the wall documentary starting off with his reception at Napoli his private life and the company he keeps the soundtrack was not too shabby IIRC

Well worth a catch up

Second best player I ever seen live just behind messi

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Would it be OK to say that I just couldn't stand the guy, despite how good a footballer he was?

Thanks for the reminder. Got it set to record.

You're in for a treat. Unbrlievable bit of filmmaking.

Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar
    The English game on Netflix just started watching it.. Nice wee mention for Hibernian 🇳🇬

Don’t get much more 80’s nostalgia than this:

https://youtu.be/Cdf6D19Etmc

Really fascinating watch, he's absolutely the best player I've ever seen.

First Team Breakthrough Hibby Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May21/05/16 View Post
    Second best player I ever seen live just behind messi

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
    2nd best? Messi is astounding but Maradona won Napoli’s first ever scudetto. Their first ever league championship. He not only did it at the world Cup, he did it in the toughest league in the World, against the best players in the world. With a team that had never won a scudetto or European cup, he took an ok team and made them world beaters. It's easier to be great in a team like Barca where you are surroundedby 10 other great players. That's what will always make Maradona different, and why he was and is still the best.

Not just that, he carried the world and every football fanatics expectations (except those of the st George brigade's) on his shoulders and performed for them every time. He was a 'super star' in the sense he performed both off the pitch as well as on it; something Messi has never been comfortablei doing,and possibly why the debate of Ronaldo vs Messi rages on.
    Last edited by Hibby Mike; 21-03-2020 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Don’t get much more 80’s nostalgia than this:

https://youtu.be/Cdf6D19Etmc
    Love it! 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Mike View Post
    2nd best? Messi is astounding but Maradona won Napoli’s first ever scudetto. Their first ever league championship. He not only did it at the world Cup, he did it in the toughest league in the World, against the best players in the world. With a team that had never won a scudetto or European cup, he took an ok team and made them world beaters. It's easier to be great in a team like Barca where you are surroundedby 10 other great players. That's what will always make Maradona different, and why he was and is still the best.

Not only that he carried the world and every football fanatics expectations (except those of the st George brigade's) on his shoulders and performed for them every time. He was a 'super star' in the sense he performed both off the pitch as well as on it; something Messi has never been comfortable doing.
    He said 'live'. I've never seen Maradona live but hands down he is best player I've ever seen, if that makes sense. I've seen Messi live a few times so there for is better than Maradona but he's really not. Ronaldo 'live' is/was better than either of them but that's another argument.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Just finished watching the documentary. Maradona was some player.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Brilliant player. Carried along by adulation

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Messi wins by every metric except international success and he's lost 4 finals, putting in a good shift to get his team to them all. If Higuain scores the 1v1 in 2014 there is no debate imo.

Diego is undoubtedly one of the greatest ever but he wouldn't get close to Messis level in this much more professional modern game.

Messi doubles his numbers in most areas.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Messi wins by every metric except international success and he's lost 4 finals, putting in a good shift to get his team to them all. If Higuain scores the 1v1 in 2014 there is no debate imo.

Diego is undoubtedly one of the greatest ever but he wouldn't get close to Messis level in this much more professional modern game.

You’d probably have more fun on a night out with Maradona than on a night out with Messi.

That argument is always nonsense. How would Messi get on in the 80s? He would probably be snapped in 2. Now put Maradona in today’s game with the referees protection, better pitches and training facilities. Maradona would still be the greatest player in the world today in my opinion.

I only watched about five minutes so need to watch it all. The thing that stood out to me was when he got hit he just got up again and carried on (might have coked out his tits right enough). Players now just seem to be taught to look for the free kick

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    That argument is always nonsense. How would Messi get on in the 80s? He would probably be snapped in 2. Now put Maradona in today’s game with the referees protection, better pitches and training facilities. Maradona would still be the greatest player in the world today in my opinion.
    So you think a few better pitches and referees has maradona scoring an extra 350 goals?

Saw Maradona at Hampden in June 1979 versus Scotland in a 1-3 loss in front of 62000 on a hot sunny day

The 18 year old Maradona scored his first international goal and did not look out of place

He arrived in a blaze of publicity and he did not disappoint

It is fair to say that everyone in the Stadium wanted him to do well and wanted to be entertained

I remember him being very small having the body of a bull but the poise and balance of a ballerina a low centre of gravity just skipping past players with the ball stuck to his feet as if they weren’t there but most importantly for one so young he was very brave and had the heart of a lion

Everyone in the Stadium knew they had just seen something special and it was money well spent

There is a famous image from that game where a diminutive Maradona is surrounded by five Scotland players and still emerges with the ball

https://youtu.be/GxFuYut827g
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 26-03-2020 at 07:17 PM.

So you think a few better pitches and referees has maradona scoring an extra 350 goals?
    If Messi played for the best team in the world his whole career then yeah I imagine he would score a lot more. Maradona controlled games from deep in a way Messi doesn’t need to. More playmaker than goalscorer.

Do you think Messi could go to Bournemouth and almost single handedly win League Titles, FA Cups and European Trophies? As that’s pretty much what Maradona did at Napoli.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    If Messi played for the best team in the world his whole career then yeah I imagine he would score a lot more. Maradona controlled games from deep in a way Messi doesn’t need to. More playmaker than goalscorer.

Do you think Messi could go to Bournemouth and almost single handedly win League Titles, FA Cups and European Trophies? As that’s pretty much what Maradona did at Napoli.
    Messi undoubtedly has considerably more assists as well, a unbelievable playmaker.

I think Messi could do that surrounded by the quality players maradona was at Napoli. Utter myth he won anything single handedly.

Messi is a fantastic player and possibly the GOAT but a great deal of credit must go to Maradona for single handedly going to Napoli grabbing them by the scruff of the neck and dragging them to two Serie A titles one Italian Cup one UEFA Cup and one Italian Super Cup

In Argentina he is a legend winning one World Cup and scoring 34 times from 91 appearances from the old fashioned creative number 10 position running in from midfield

Maradona for me.Remember the tackling that was allowed in these days something as great as Messi is and he is great has not had to deal with.

Messi undoubtedly has considerably more assists as well, a unbelievable playmaker.

I think Messi could do that surrounded by the quality players maradona was at Napoli. Utter myth he won anything single handedly.
    They had some good players, like Bournemouth do. Napoli were fighting relegation when Maradona joined. Compare the Napoli team to Milan’s!

Hey I think Messi is an incredible player, best of the generation by miles. I just don’t buy that players are better now due to time. When you are born with a ball at your feet and have that natural ability then you would adapt and be able to play in any era.

Agree to disagree. In fairness I disagree with about 99% of your opinions so would be surprised if not :)

The Napoli team that won the UEFA Cup:
    Giuliano
    Ferrara
    Renica
    Corradini
    Alemao
    De Napoli
    Fusi
    Maradona
    Carnevale
    Carerca

All decent players no doubt but no where near the household names that helped Messi to win the Champions League the latest being 2015

Ter Stegen
    Alves
    Pique
    Mascherano
    Alba
    Rakitic
    Busquets
    Iniesta
    Messi
    Suarez
    Neymar

These arguments are always split on generation lines.

I watch footage of football from the 40s and 50s on YouTube and it's like a different sport. Even the highlights seems to consist primarily of scuffed shots and misplaced passes. Watch entire games, where you can find them, and it's almost reminiscent of rugby in that there seems to be a kick and chase, playing for territory element to the game. Even in the 70s which is probably what could be considered the advent of the recognisably modern game there is a noticeable lack of real tempo to games. There is extensive footage from the 1974 WC available online and some games look like walking football.

The 1990s was my era for football. I loved football then. I played every chance I got and I watched every game I could. Football Italia was observed religiously in my house and I adored the Milan team of that era. Watching it back now though, it looks very different to the modern game, recognisable but far less athletic.

We will never know if Messi or Ronaldo could have led a provincial club to success. The game is too commercial for it ever to happen now, had Maradona been born a quarter of a century later we would never have known it about him either. Criminal proceeds bringing the best players to smaller clubs still exists, they just bring in more of them now.

I'm no lover of modern football, take Hibs out of the equation and I have little interest. However the modern day greats are producing performance levels we have never seen before. With the advantages of sport science, improved diet and fitness, better equipment, better pitches, more protection etc would the natural talent of Pele, Maradona, Cryuff, Best et al be able to produce that level? Almost certainly. Likewise if you dropped Messi into the 70s and removed his modern advantages would he still be naturally gifted enough to be special? Again, it's almost certain. Those are all hypotheticals though. Players nowadays have both the talent and the other advantages and they are producing in a way we have never seen before. People won't like it because the names I have mentioned above along with a few others are almost sacred but Messi, and Ronaldo, have consistently produced the best football performances the world has ever seen. In 20 or 30 years time others will better them again, that's how things work.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Think the argument is that Messi wouldn't have scored anywhere near the amount of goals he has with the enormous difference in the physically of the challenges. Maradona had a number of serious injuries in his playing career due to appalling challenges.