hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 52 of 52
  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member brog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,313
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What always gets me from that video is just how exultant the Dee fans were in what was a meaningless game for them. Ach, I'm off to The Vault to reread sickback on 21/5/16!!

    I can't find the sickbag thread in The Vault. Can anyone please help direct me?


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    Coaching Staff NAE NOOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Galashiels
    Posts
    11,753
    Ach ... I watched the 2013 league cup final at my mums and remember dancing around her living room as St Mirren took the lead and even worse, hiding in her kitchen to avoid the last few minutes in case the Yams got back into the game

    But if Hertz had won I doubt it would have taken me longer than half an hour to get over it ... life goes on

  4. #33
    I don't really mind it. I think it's a good honest piece. I think we can have a place for journo's to show their allegiance in a bit more of a fun way especially in this era of the internet, as long as they are still honest about what they're reporting on and for me a lot of the Terrace guys are honest in their assessments of players and teams.

    It's when you get a few of the old school folk still hiding their allegiance's but clearly having digs through that prism that I think annoys me more.

  5. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I might be wrong but did Dundee not need to win to qualify for Europe? They deserved to after that.
    Think they missed out on Europe but the game certainly wasnít meaningless as they still had the possible chance to qualify.

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member brog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,313
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think they missed out on Europe but the game certainly wasnít meaningless as they still had the possible chance to qualify.
    Im not sure they did, they finished 6th & could have been 5th if Rangers had lost but by full time at Dens they would have known Rangers had won. I think they were just happy to stop Hearts winning the league on their ground. Still seems a bit OTT though but v enjoyable.

  7. #36
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,459
    Does Joel Sked have any background in football other than as an enthusiastic fan? His style seems to be more fanzine than red-top back page, and Iíve always enjoyed his work despite his Heartsness.
    Sums up a trait of close city rivalry which we all know is pathetic but will all be guilty of to perhaps varying degreees. Fans of clubs who donít enjoy a bitter rivalry are missing out really!

  8. #37
    First Team Regular The Captain....'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Close to The Holy Ground
    Age
    50
    Posts
    625
    A huge part of their identity was always the Cup hoodoo. Ruined many of their bitter, empty lives it certainly did..I'm sure theres a minority who are fine or tolerate it but I've personally never met one.

    I dont mind the article but I often think View From The Terrace would be improved if Sked wasnt on it. Theres just something about him other than his sleekit jambo slavering that I cant 'kin stand.

    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In dreams.
    Posts
    4,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I quite enjoyed the article.

    He doesn't try to defend his emotions, he's acutely aware he was and is being petty and bitter. There's an element of that in all of us

    The part that rings true for me is when he said he was most definitely not happy for his Hibs supporting mate. I always cringe when I read football fans saying they are 'happy for their mate' when a rival wins something. **** that, when it comes to football I want any Hearts fans I am friends with to live perennially miserable lives
    Funny because I sat and watched the 98 final with two Hibby pals. Bearing in mind my Leith background and several generations of Hibs support in my DNA, I found myself wanting them to win. I took pelters for it at the time and still get it tight to this day, but I thought about our social group and the one Jambo we all knew. He's one of the good guys in life and is now approaching 60. He'd followed them for years and we all love him dearly. Ah don't know why, but I just thought, I want them to win this.

    To be fair, that was probably the only time in my life I've ever felt that feeling and I wisnae exactly cheering them on, but I would say this. It's only a game and it's never happened since. Can I be forgiven?
    [SIGPIC]

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny because I sat and watched the 98 final with two Hibby pals. Bearing in mind my Leith background and several generations of Hibs support in my DNA, I found myself wanting them to win. I took pelters for it at the time and still get it tight to this day, but I thought about our social group and the one Jambo we all knew. He's one of the good guys in life and is now approaching 60. He'd followed them for years and we all love him dearly. Ah don't know why, but I just thought, I want them to win this.

    To be fair, that was probably the only time in my life I've ever felt that feeling and I wisnae exactly cheering them on, but I would say this. It's only a game and it's never happened since. Can I be forgiven?
    Did you get thirty pieces of silver?

  11. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes complete lack of judgement publishing the article. Undermines their "journalism" even more. I remember supporting Gretna in the final against them. But feeling physically sick, they are weird.
    Quoting the article - 'When Alex Schalk scored that late, late winner I celebrated wildly. Not quite Alim Ozturk at Easter Road, or the 2012 final, but still in a manner which was frankly embarrassing, but one I’m still not and never will be ashamed of.'


    Imagine announcing that you should be embarassed and that you're shameless in the same sentence

  12. #41
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    72
    Posts
    17,739
    Blog Entries
    1
    Iím quite indifferent to Jambos spouting their nonsense, because I, like other Hibs supporters have similar sentiments about them. Itís just the privileged platform that folk like him have access to that grates a bit.

  13. #42
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    A thousand miles from nowhere
    Posts
    622
    Not brilliantly written but canít see why anyone would find it disturbing( Aidan Smith has written whole books dealing with these sorts of feelings.

    On another tack did anyone else watch that replay of the 2016 final and find themselves getting tense?

  14. #43
    The Evening News must have been desperate to fill column inches with this nonsense. I'm glad he was gutted about us winning the cup tho. listen, we hate them as much as they hate us. Keeps us all right and that's a good thing.

  15. #44
    @hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Haddington
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,685
    Blog Entries
    1
    Decent enough article. Iíve known Joel for years as we have a mutual best pal and Hearts leanings aside heís a good guy. Nonetheless I absolutely loved the bit in the article about his lifelong Hibs supporting mate being in tears and him being absolutely seething, as I was standing beside said mate watching us lift the cup

    However I must say itís absolutely beautiful to get an honest and first hand account of just how much our SC win hurt them. And they call us obsessed. Wait til we win it again.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

  16. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Decent enough article. Iíve known Joel for years as we have a mutual best pal and Hearts leanings aside heís a good guy. Nonetheless I absolutely loved the bit in the article about his lifelong Hibs supporting mate being in tears and him being absolutely seething, as I was standing beside said mate watching us lift the cup

    However I must say itís absolutely beautiful to get an honest and first hand account of just how much our SC win hurt them. And they call us obsessed. Wait til we win it again.
    He's given you a lot of banter ammunition with that article. It's there in black and white how much 2 up and they f***ed it up leading to us winning the cup hurt them.

    Sounds like it's still hurting him quite a lot. More than 5-1 hurts us now. In fact I think most of us just laugh it off when they come out with the 5-1 chat because we know it means they're suffering about something and reaching for the comfort blanket.

  17. #46
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,422
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Decent enough article. I’ve known Joel for years as we have a mutual best pal and Hearts leanings aside he’s a good guy. Nonetheless I absolutely loved the bit in the article about his lifelong Hibs supporting mate being in tears and him being absolutely seething, as I was standing beside said mate watching us lift the cup

    However I must say it’s absolutely beautiful to get an honest and first hand account of just how much our SC win hurt them. And they call us obsessed. Wait til we win it again.
    On the evening when Hibs beat Aberdeen to reach the 2012 Scottish Cup final I was in the company of several Hearts fans. To a man the didn't want Hearts to beat Celtic the following day as the were scared Hibs might beat them in the final. Remember this was at a time they were spending three times more than us on wages and we were poor to say the least.

    I reminded each and everyone of them of that after they beat us. The 5-1 jibes were pretty hollow given they had admitted their [email protected] that night.

    I hate Hearts on a sporting level. I have pals who are Jambos but have always found their fans a bit weird in general. The fact (fact) their songbook disappeared over night when we won the cup speaks volumes s to the obsession they have with Hibs.

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kato; 22-03-2020 at 12:41 AM.

  18. #47
    Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the evening when Hibs beat Aberdeen to reach the 2012 Scottish Cup final I was in the company of several Hearts fans. To a man the didn't want Hearts to beat Celtic the following day as the were scared Hibs might beat them in the final. Remember this was at a time they were spending three times more than us on wages and we were poor to say the least.

    I reminded each and everyone of them of that after they beat us. The 5-1 jibes were pretty hollow given they had admitted their [email protected] that night.

    I hate Hearts on a sporting level. I have pals who are Jambos but have always found there fans a bit weird in general. The fact (fact) their songbook disappeared over night when we won the cup speaks volumes s to the obsession they have with Hibs.

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Agree 100% with this and I don't think JS is different from the majority of jambos - they hate us more than they love their club.

    Hearts to me, being our local rivals, are a club you always want to better. I don't like when they win and love beating them but really all I care about is Hibs. They are a bit of an irrelevance to me. Hibs should always be aiming to be in the top 3 in the league and in the semis of cup competitions. The fact we've seldom achieved this in my lifetime is due to failure of leadership, lack of ambition at the club or poor management. Over recent decades we've occasionally realised our potential under Mowbray, Mcleish and Lennon but we need to set the bar higher than Hearts if we want to move on. Let them focus on and hate us all they want.

  19. #48
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In dreams.
    Posts
    4,281
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree 100% with this and I don't think JS is different from the majority of jambos - they hate us more than they love their club.

    Hearts to me, being our local rivals, are a club you always want to better. I don't like when they win and love beating them but really all I care about is Hibs. They are a bit of an irrelevance to me. Hibs should always be aiming to be in the top 3 in the league and in the semis of cup competitions. The fact we've seldom achieved this in my lifetime is due to failure of leadership, lack of ambition at the club or poor management. Over recent decades we've occasionally realised our potential under Mowbray, Mcleish and Lennon but we need to set the bar higher than Hearts if we want to move on. Let them focus on and hate us all they want.
    Surely we realised our potential with !Miller, Collins and Stubbs? Apart from that, agree with all you say
    [SIGPIC]

  20. #49
    Coaching Staff Waxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    50
    Posts
    5,466
    Nothing wrong with a rivalry. I want hearts to lose everything they have.
    Get relegated down to the eos league in successive seasons.Go into admin and get liquidated.Have to sell the pbs and move into saughton enclosure whilst watch their crowds dwindle to a couple of hundred
    And get largely forgotten about as the Big Hibs v Edinburgh city derby takes place.

    Well iíll settle for them having a year or three in the championship.

  21. #50
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,857
    I remember by Hibs pal and I's wives suggesting we go and see the Hearts cup parade in 1998. We said no, a pick nick up Arthur's Seat as we do for Royal weddings when we need to get away from hysteria.

  22. #51
    @hibs.net private member Up The Bracket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím all for a bit of derby rivalry. Itís one of the things that makes football so special. But this is just weird:

    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/joel-sked-how-it-felt-watching-hibs-beat-rangers-2016-scottish-cup-final-lift-their-114-year-hex-2504365

    1. Feeling physically anxious at the thought of your rival winning a game against someone else? Severe pre-match nerves because they might win a trophy? Thatís just weird.
    2. This guy works as a journalist for the EEN and regularly reports on Hibs.
    3. The EEN thought this would be fun to publish... which doesnít bother me much but does make me question their innate bias, as I canít think of an equivalent.
    Are any of us any different when watching Hearts? Any of us who didnít celebrate heavily when St Mirren beat them in the league cup?

    Football is a rivalry, not wanting success for your rivals is fine and normal, just because he supports someone other than your own team doesnít mean he canít offer his opinion on Hibs.

    Joel comes across as a good laugh, honest and a likeable guy despite being a Hearts fan, as does Craig Fowler, would rather have someone open about their allegiances that can laugh about things than your typical Alan Preston, Keith Jackson, Chick Young idiots weíve been subjected to for years.

  23. #52
    First result I look for is ours. Next one is theirs. The thought of them winning anything is horrific. The thought of them losing makes the world a brighter place. Nothing wrong with what he said in my opinion. I feel the same.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved