hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Testimonial Due

Hibernian FC Finances

Can we start a new thread discussing the situation as it relates to our own club? There’s a lot about the comedy finances at our near neighbours but not so much relating to our own financial position. We need to be careful what we celebrate, considering our previous history of laughing at our closest rival’s relegation only to follow them down the rabbit hole a few weeks later.

One does assume that we are in a relatively heathy position at the moment, having not overspent on anything but until the 2020 season’s accounts are published we won’t really know how high our wage bill is.

In relation to HFC’s finances, various points for discussion would be:

1. Why haven’t our accounts for 2019 been filed yet?
    2. Is our wage bill high this year?
    3. What charges are held over the assets of the club?

Aside from Celtic I am assuming we are the second healthiest club (financially) in Scotland. Can anyone refute this?

Point 3 is the most worrying for me. Are we likely to get caught up in the financial turmoil in the USA and get taken down by a stray charge over the stadium/training centre?

2. Log in to remove the advert

We have not even had one home game missed yet. In total it’s likely to be about £1m lost if we start next season on time. Scottish cup income may only be delayed. We should be able to cope so long as next season starts on time. We won’t know that until summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have not even had one home game missed yet. In total it’s likely to be about £1m lost if we start next season on time. Scottish cup income may only be delayed. We should be able to cope so long as next season starts on time. We won’t know that until summer.

We were meant to play St Johnstone (I think) at home last Saturday.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Any club who immediately put it to cut 50pct of all staff costs or start offering redundancies was living on the edge

Other clubs might go the same way but I'm really surprised hearts have moved so quickly

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Pretty much how I see it but not easy to be clear based on accounts numbers that are just moment in time figures, we will definitely have less now in my view.

Unknown is financial support from the owner and how he might provide or raise those funds if needed. I think we're probably in as good a place as we can be compared to most others and given the sudden and dramatic change in events

Dig in and get on with it tends to be our way, hopefully that continues.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Budge stating they will lose £500,000 from the Scottish Cup semi not being played is being a tad misleading. Scottish Cup money is not budgeted for at the start of a financial year so is not lost income. Any money you receive from a cup run will be a bonus to the budget.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonHFC View Post
    Budge stating they will lose £500,000 from the Scottish Cup semi not being played is being a tad misleading. Scottish Cup money is not budgeted for at the start of a financial year so is not lost income. Any money you receive from a cup run will be a bonus to the budget.
    Depends what they budgeted for I guess.

Would be ambitious to have done that though, at the start of the year at least.

I think we used to (maybe still do) budget for the QF of each cup each year.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonHFC View Post
    Yep, they've been overspending and spending what they haven't got, we would hopefully seen the unbudgeted income here as a welcome bonus to invest in future plans that were already there. Not blowing it against existing and probably concealed overspending.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Testimonial Due
    Assuming this season is ended early - won't the club have a contractual liability to refund ST holders for the 4/5 games that they've paid for but were cancelled? (Not saying most would want a refund - but in accounting terms it would affect the bottom line).

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Any club who immediately put it to cut 50pct of all staff costs or start offering redundancies was living on the edge

Other clubs might go the same way but I'm really surprised hearts have moved so quickly

My immediate thought was where is the FOH money going?
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    I thought they would have millions in funds ready to plough in but apparently not, apparently they hand the funds over to Budge every month and are skint too. Crazy ****.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Hasnt FOH put in nearly 9 million quid?

Absolutely crazy sums

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by cocteautwin View Post
    Can we start a new thread discussing the situation as it relates to our own club? There’s a lot about the comedy finances at our near neighbours but not so much relating to our own financial position. We need to be careful what we celebrate, considering our previous history of laughing at our closest rival’s relegation only to follow them down the rabbit hole a few weeks later.

One does assume that we are in a relatively heathy position at the moment, having not overspent on anything but until the 2020 season’s accounts are published we won’t really know how high our wage bill is.

In relation to HFC’s finances, various points for discussion would be:

1. Why haven’t our accounts for 2019 been filed yet?
    2. Is our wage bill high this year?
    3. What charges are held over the assets of the club?

Aside from Celtic I am assuming we are the second healthiest club (financially) in Scotland. Can anyone refute this?

Point 3 is the most worrying for me. Are we likely to get caught up in the financial turmoil in the USA and get taken down by a stray charge over the stadium/training centre?
    From the AGM - the accounts have been filed, I think - certainly they've been issued to shareholders and widely reported (they're on the official site, for example - at least a summary is).

Our wage bill was within the 60% wages to turnover recommendation (think we were at 59%, from memory) - higher than previous years but within the healthy limit.

No charges are held over the club unless we borrow, which we haven't.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    From the AGM - the accounts have been filed, I think - certainly they've been issued to shareholders and widely reported (they're on the official site, for example - at least a summary is).

Our wage bill was within the 60% wages to turnover recommendation (think we were at 59%, from memory) - higher than previous years but within the healthy limit.

No charges are held over the club unless we borrow, which we haven't.
    And I presume the money for Villa getting promoted, will be in the next accounts?

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    Assuming this season is ended early - won't the club have a contractual liability to refund ST holders for the 4/5 games that they've paid for but were cancelled? (Not saying most would want a refund - but in accounting terms it would affect the bottom line).
    I'd imagine the club would want to avoid more cash going out as refunds, but appears a valid point re ST holders. Why not they give them free access to Scottish Cup games or pre-season friendlies next season as an acknowledgement or thank you re games missed? I'm not a ST holder, but think their contribution should be recognised/rewarded, if not in £££ terms.
    Last edited by Topographic Hibby; 19-03-2020 at 09:53 AM. Reason: crap wording...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Hasnt FOH put in nearly 9 million quid?

Absolutely crazy sums

Yep. Every penny *****ed away and now they think Budge is ahead of the times with yesterday’s announcement.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    I'm not an accountant perhaps one of the lads that are can clarify but I would have thought cash at hand would be separate from the clubs working funds ie in addition to.
    I'm sure STF mentioned he was leaving g the club in a very very healthy cash state

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    There has been constant rumours around where exactly that money was been diverted to or part diverted to.

Budge brother in law (hibby) busineee is in better shape than its ever been given the stand work. Estimates like £1.5m to fit out the 4th floor seem high but what do I know 👀

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86

Hibernian FC Finances

Am I not right in saying that a large proportion of our players wages are bonus related?? Win bonus, clean sheet bonus, goal scoring bonus.. so we would be saving in this regard. Also with the training centre partially closed and the ground not in use surely bills will be getting saved here too??

Granted not enough to break even by any stretch of the imagination but a saving none the less.

I also could be spouting absolute bollox

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    And I presume the money for Villa getting promoted, will be in the next accounts?
    I could be wrong but I think it was included in the accounts just published.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I could be wrong but I think it was included in the accounts just published.
    I don't know for sure as I haven't seen the accounts but I would expect it to be included as it was known to be coming in and arose before the year end. If the cash hadn't been received it would be reflected in debtors.

BTW The accounts haven't been filed at Companies House yet, or at least aren't online. The filing deadline is the end of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    On the contrary I would happily pay a deposit of say £200 on my next season ticket. That could be deducted from the actual price when football restarts. Almost like becoming a member of Hibs. I do realise that there will be many who can't do this in the current climate but any funds raised can only help our club through extremely difficult times.

First Team Regular
    Is the financial effects of this really as bad as people think?

I dont think the financial position for us would be too bad unless season ticket holders suddenly wanted partial refunds, which i doubt.

I understand we will lose different streams of income, and of course any loss of revenue is always a concern but i would assume gate receipts would always be the big one. How many walk up fans do we actually have? With season tickets already being paid for, is the loss of this really that big when you consider the operating costs that we will save? Policing etc.

When you also consider a fair chunk of wages will be bonus related , the outgoings in terms of wages will likely already have decreased.

Assuming Hibs lose the income from the remaining four league games (I'm leaving out the Scottish Cup money, as that surely is a bonus), just how much would we actually lose?

----

The before the split home games would be (with estimated attendances based on last year's games + current form)

St Johnstone (16,500)
    Celtc (20,000)

In addition, we'd be due to play two home games after the split, Let's say:

The Rangers (19,500)
    Aberdeen (18,000)

----

If you take off the ~13k Season Tickets, that's four games with an average tickets sold of 5.5k per game.

A reasonably large number of those will be concession tickets, and St J and Aberdeen aren't Category A so, let's be generous and say the average cost is £20 per ticket.

That would be £110k per match, or roughly £450k in total.... minus VAT, policing, player bonuses and other costs.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 19-03-2020 at 10:46 AM.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    There is not a chance of ST numbers remaining the same. Many families will be facing financial hardship and budgeting will be prioritising food on the table/rents and mortgages and household bills. Many budgets won’t stretch to Season Tickets and match tickets and I’d expect a big drop for next season which will be a concern for the club going forward.
    While the clubs finances look to be in decent enough health to ride this out, the finances of those who contribute towards that might well not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurry Face View Post
    How much are you estimating we get for corporate hospitality and match day sponsorship?
    Or, won’t get.

I don't know but I don't think that's a major percentage of our match-day income.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    There is not a chance of ST numbers remaining the same. Many families will be facing financial hardship and budgeting will be prioritising food on the table/rents and mortgages and household bills. Many budgets won’t stretch to Season Tickets and match tickets and I’d expect a big drop for next season which will be a concern for the club going forward.
    While the clubs finances look to be in decent enough health to ride this out, the finances of those who contribute towards that might well not be.
    While that may be the case for many there will also be others who are stuck at home unable to spend their money. Civil servants spring to mind. As Next said, no one buys a new top to sit at home.

They may have surplus cash to put towards a season ticket. I know it's a minority but I am trying to find some positive.

I just hope all of us come through it OK.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    While that may be the case for many there will also be others who are stuck at home unable to spend their money. Civil servants spring to mind. As Next said, no one buys a new top to sit at home.

They may have surplus cash to put towards a season ticket. I know it's a minority but I am trying to find some positive.

I just hope all of us come through it OK.

I'm quite fortunate in my line of work, that we can continue working at home.

If there's still a club to support next season, I'd happily buy Season Tickets for other people, as it would help both my fellow Hibbies and the club.

I'm far from being rich but I don't mind trying to help out where I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I'm quite fortunate in my line of work, that we can continue working at home.

If there's still a club to support next season, I'd happily buy Season Tickets for other people, as it would help both my fellow Hibbies and the club.

I'm far from being rich but I don't mind trying to help out where I can.
    I was trying to get into the church hall to work otherwise I'm going to end up divorced or in jail by the time this is over🤣🤣

It was reported a few days ago only one club didn't have insurance.

I think it's now obvious which club that was.

Power has been on the Bounce assuring us Hibs have business interruption insurance.

It's not going to be easy but what I've seen coming from the club is calm and reassuring; the Leeann interview; the Nathan Ring interview; Hibees at home and others suggest we've had a disaster (recovery) plan and it's rolling out rather nicely at the moment.
    Space to let