hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Talking Hibees singing Sunshine on Leith, the fame goes on......

I just bought a Special Edition of the German Football Magazine '11 Freunde' and was amazed to see a two page article on the Hibs support's rendition of Sunshine on Leith. There was an interview with Craig and Charlie where they spoke about how proud they were about having their song become the Hibs anthem.

I've scanned both pages of the article (below) and here's a link to the '11 Freunde' website where they show the 2007 LC Final rendition alongside the best fan displays from around the world. It's worth watching that video again right through to when they interview Steven Fletcher trackside to get a proper sense of just how loud and emotional it was.

Take a bow guys, you're world famous

(Sorry for the poor quality)

11FeundeArticle_Foto.jpg ------- 11FeundeArticle_Text.jpg

p.s. I'll see if I can get the missus to do a translation of the article and post it up here. My translation would just be cr*p

Now Done: Goosebumps.pdf
    Last edited by Keith_M; 20-11-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Translation Done

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just bought a Special Edition of the German Football Magazine '11 Freunde' and was amazed to see a two page article on the Hibs support's rendition of Sunshine on Leith. There was an interview with Craig and Charlie where they spoke about how proud they were about having their song become the Hibs anthem.

I've scanned both pages of the article (below) and here's a link to the '11 Freunde' website where they show the 2007 LC Final rendition alongside the best fan displays from around the world. It's worth watching that video again right through to when they interview Steven Fletcher trackside to get a proper sense of just how loud and emotional it was.

p.s. I'll see if I can get the missus to do a translation of the article and post it up here. My translation would just be cr*p

Good spot, translation would help though

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What's German for, "the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up".

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    What's German for, "the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up".

Auf der Rückseite meines Halses, die Haare standen nach oben

Not a "got un himmell" or "achtung" in sight!

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    One of the greatest moments of my life was belting out sunshine on leith at the 2007 final. That will never leave me, every time I watch the videos I am emotional to say the least.

Great to see it being acknowledged by other football folks.

I watch that on youtube at least every few weeks, and it still brings a wee tear to my eye

It may have been Tonys squad, but it was Johnnys team that day, and i will always have some manlove for him because of it

I honestly loved that 2007 team

Quote Originally Posted by Tinribs View Post
    I watch that on youtube at least every few weeks, and it still brings a wee tear to my eye

It may have been Tonys squad, but it was Johnnys team that day, and i will always have some manlove for him because of it
    A great bit of youtubery. Im not a big dougie donnelly fan but he did what a good broadcaster should in moments like that; shut up and let the pictures tell the story.

Im shocked the magazine in question didnt mention the worldfamous scarftwirling displays of our impoverished neighbours?

@hibs.net private member the_ginger_hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    A great bit of youtubery. Im not a big dougie donnelly fan but he did what a good broadcaster should in moments like that; shut up and let the pictures tell the story.

Im shocked the magazine in question didnt mention the worldfamous scarftwirling displays of our impoverished neighbours?
    Still bitter about losing the war to them.

Good find there! Nice to have some international recognition and finally some praise for the Hibees in the media (albeit the German media!)

Got to give the BBC credit for that day. The footage is excellent. I love the bit when the BBC pundit (I think its Gordon Smith) says "lets just sit back for a moment and watch the Hibs fans sing the Hibs anthem" or something along those lines.

Dougie Donnelly wasn't it,

@hibs.net private member wazoo1875's Avatar
    I heard colin murray on talksport a couple of months ago telling his listeners to google it and watch. Said it was one of the best fan moments ever!!
    Never one to laugh at others misfortune but today could only have been improved by rangers getting horsed and God pissing down a meteor shower of fifty pound notes on Edinburgh

Copyright BadMartini Wed 27th Jan 2010

Glory day.

There will be more!

My pal is a huge Celtic fan and thinks SOL blows any anthem his mob sing out the water!

Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    My pal is a huge Celtic fan and thinks SOL blows any anthem his mob sing out the water!
    Nice to hear about a Tic fan with insight, they do after all sing another clubs pop 'Anthem'

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    Got to give the BBC credit for that day. The footage is excellent. I love the bit when the BBC punfudit (I think its Gordon Smith) says "lets just sit back for a moment and watch the Hibs fans sing the Hibs anthem" or something along those lines.
    I can only imagine the emotions it stirs in JC as he lost his Dad in the lead up to the final.

Quote Originally Posted by bighairyfaeleith View Post
    One of the greatest moments of my life was belting out sunshine on leith at the 2007 final. That will never leave me, every time I watch the videos I am emotional to say the least.

Me 2

Me 3

Quote Originally Posted by wazoo1875 View Post
    I heard colin murray on talksport a couple of months ago telling his listeners to google it and watch. Said it was one of the best fan moments ever!!
    I heard that too

Nice to hear about a Tic fan with insight, they do after all sing another clubs pop 'Anthem'
    They do.

Quote Originally Posted by bighairyfaeleith View Post

there are some days in your life that are special and stay with you forever this is one of mineim not ashamed to say i cried while belting it out

Great post.

Does anyone know the very first time SoL was played and sung by the support at Easter Road?

Great find . Pat Nevin advised at one of the Dnipro dinners that it was he who said to the Producer to cut to the crowd and show SoL being sung as it was so magnificent

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

Only because Pat Nevin told him to!! If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have that footage for memory.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    What a team, what a day, what a performance. Imagine the scenes if we ever win the Scottish Cup Final again.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Clash View Post
    Great post.

Does anyone know the very first time SoL was played and sung by the support at Easter Road?
    I remember my dad (linlithgowhibee) had a record from the hands off hibs campaign and I'm sure it had glory glory on one side and sunshine on leith on the other, as well as another song on each side.

Im sure the record cover had a picture from the hoh rally on it. Does anyone else remember that?

I realise that doesn't actually answer the questions, but I would assume that's where the link comes from. First time I remember it is aek at home.

Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    Great find . Pat Nevin advised at one of the Dnipro dinners that it was he who said to the Producer to cut to the crowd and show SoL being sung as it was so magnificent

Great minds S

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Great minds S

I always suspected such a piece of good sense was beyond Dougie Donnelly

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    First game I ever heard it was Athens at Easter Road.

I didn't even know the words :(

First Team Breakthrough jamieross's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: JamieMth
    A quick google translate on the link throws up this little beauty.

"Who does not get goosebumps on this song is either dead or has held a fist-sized stone heart in the chest."

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Watching that again, it really hurts that we have so few of these sort of days