hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Joel Sked on Hibs v Hearts rivalry

I’m all for a bit of derby rivalry. It’s one of the things that makes football so special. But this is just weird:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/joel-sked-how-it-felt-watching-hibs-beat-rangers-2016-scottish-cup-final-lift-their-114-year-hex-2504365

1. Feeling physically anxious at the thought of your rival winning a game against someone else? Severe pre-match nerves because they might win a trophy? That’s just weird.
    2. This guy works as a journalist for the EEN and regularly reports on Hibs.
    3. The EEN thought this would be fun to publish... which doesn’t bother me much but does make me question their innate bias, as I can’t think of an equivalent.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m all for a bit of derby rivalry. It’s one of the things that makes football so special. But this is just weird:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...ar-hex-2504365

1. Feeling physically anxious at the thought of your rival winning a game against someone else? Severe pre-match nerves because they might win a trophy? That’s just weird.
    2. This guy works as a journalist for the EEN and regularly reports on Hibs.
    3. The EEN thought this would be fun to publish... which doesn’t bother me much but does make me question their innate bias, as I can’t think of an equivalent.
    Yes complete lack of judgement publishing the article. Undermines their "journalism" even more. I remember supporting Gretna in the final against them. But feeling physically sick, they are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Yes complete lack of judgement publishing the article. Undermines their "journalism" even more. I remember supporting Gretna in the final against them. But feeling physically sick, they are weird.

Of course.

I can understand Jambos supporting other teams against us (especially as diet Huns) but to be that emotionally invested in the match?

Odd, to say the least.

@hibs.net private member Green Badger's Avatar
    Is he that jambo fud who is on A View From The Terrace on BBC? The other Jambos on there seem relatively balanced and sometimes say positive things about Hibs, but this boy comes over as a total raging Duncan. Article therefore does not surprise me in the slightest. (not that I’ve bothered to read it but get the gist of it from comments above)

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Just part of their usual deep unbiased football observations. And they wonder why no-one reads that rag anymore.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Tbf he totally acknowledges just how pathetic he is in the article.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I honestly thought the article was fine - it's what is like as a football fan when you're rivals are on the cusp of something.

When a Hearts went to St Mirren before the shut down, I was nervous for the game and desperate for Hearts to lose.

I'm sure a lot of us will be able to look back on phone messages with friends from that night and that nervousness will be reflected in the chats.

2016 ruined Hearts for a while. They never really recovered from it. It saw the resurgence in Hibs on and off the park and changed the while dynamic in the city.

Football writers who love football are better than neutrals, imho - especially if they can be balanced in their reporting.

This wasn't a reported article, it's a reflective, personal account of the game and I thought it was decent.

Mostly, of course, because there are few things better than bitter Jambo tears.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Spot on. And you can be sure Joel shed very many of those 😁

I quite enjoyed the article.

He doesn't try to defend his emotions, he's acutely aware he was and is being petty and bitter. There's an element of that in all of us

The part that rings true for me is when he said he was most definitely not happy for his Hibs supporting mate. I always cringe when I read football fans saying they are 'happy for their mate' when a rival wins something. **** that, when it comes to football I want any Hearts fans I am friends with to live perennially miserable lives
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Regular dalkeith stu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hibeestu07
    To be fair they are going to have to fill the pages with something as there wont be any sport to report on for the next few months. Unfortunately we are going to start seeing alot more of this sh*t!!!

@hibs.net private member
    I’m not that far off feeling the same about them tbf

First Team Regular
    Give the guy a break, its an honest account and frankly would anyone expect any different?

Its rivalry, its why fitba is brilliant and id much rather people acknowlesge it and have a laugh about the pettiness and stupidity we all feel, than be all fake chummy and po faced about it.

Nowt wrong with the article. We feel the same about wanting hearts to lose.
    Dont see it as any sort of EEN bias

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I thought it was quite a good read. At least he was honest to be fair. I think there were a few of us jumping about when Celtic beat them last May.

I honestly thought the article was fine - it's what is like as a football fan when you're rivals are on the cusp of something.

When a Hearts went to St Mirren before the shut down, I was nervous for the game and desperate for Hearts to lose.

I'm sure a lot of us will be able to look back on phone messages with friends from that night and that nervousness will be reflected in the chats.

2016 ruined Hearts for a while. They never really recovered from it. It saw the resurgence in Hibs on and off the park and changed the while dynamic in the city.

Football writers who love football are better than neutrals, imho - especially if they can be balanced in their reporting.

This wasn't a reported article, it's a reflective, personal account of the game and I thought it was decent.

Agree. I felt similar before they won it in 98. That was the first thing I’d ever seen Hearts win in 30plus years going to games.

I've not read it but, I wouldn't want them to win a toss of a coin unless it did us some good.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post
    Give the guy a break, its an honest account and frankly would anyone expect any different?

Its rivalry, its why fitba is brilliant and id much rather people acknowlesge it and have a laugh about the pettiness and stupidity we all feel, than be all fake chummy and po faced about it.
    Exactly. I locked myself in the shed after the 98 final when they beat the huns and I was 50 years old.

A lot of Hearts fans, more so than fans of any other team I've met, seem to define their support and identity more by a hatred for their main rivals than a love for their own club.

I know of one Jambo who even travelled through to Falkirk to support them against us in the play off game in 2016.

And my Jambo cousin, for every one post about Hearts on social media, three would be about Hibs.

Personally, I enjoy seeing Hearts lose, and would be delighted to see them get relegated, but I don't care that much about them. If they win a trophy, or European spot, it doesn't have any impact on my life.

It's very small time.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I thought it was quite a good read. At least he was honest to be fair. I think there were a few of us jumping about when Celtic beat them last May.

Tbf he’s a decent enough writer.

I would just expect anyone involved professionally in the game - including those paid to report on it - to show a little more, er, professionalism.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy watching Hearts fail. But - win or lose - their results don’t affect me at a profound level. I find investing that level of emotion in your rival a bit odd.

I think the issue for them was that we won it legitimately. In my experience it's older Jambos I know who accept that 2012, and to a lesser extent 2006, came at a cost with quality players they couldn't hope to afford long term and very nearly killed their club. A kind of humility that recognises that it was great to win but it wasn't really a level playing field.

I reckon deep down Joel knew this and the thought of us winning it fair and square would mean having to face up to it. Easier for us to lose it and enjoy a lifetime of 5 - 1.

It was an honest admission to be fair, but utterly weird. Physically sick at seeing us win a match ? He sounds more obsessed with Hibs than most Hibs fans

Weirdo.

My mate, who's a Jambo, father-in-law was apoplectic that we won. He was convinced that because of the post match celebrations we should be stripped of the win, fined and suspended from all competitions. My mate thought it was a cracking game and we deserved the victory

He was honest. Football rivalry is pathetic in the grand scheme of things, yet here we are, being petty about a rival fan being petty about his rivals.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

He said in view from the terrace last night if the season was voided would Hertz lose their two derby wins. I think their obsession with the derby makes loads feel like sked. Also Craig Fowler said without a hint of irony if d utd don't get promoted and if they get into financial difficulties due to huge spending to win the championship then it's their fault. Skeds piece and Fowlers comment sum up the jambos I'm afraid. Many are very strange folk with a few decent ones. They don't see the irony that with all the money they have wasted they are still by far the worst team in the spl and only an horrendous decision v Hamilton means they are not seven points adrift and staring at relegation. I hope we somehow finish the season and they get relegated. As tam McManus said they are using the crisis to bin players they overspent on. Disgraceful.

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Remember feeling physically sick when they finally won a trophy in 1998...

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Of course.

I can understand Jambos supporting other teams against us (especially as diet Huns) but to be that emotionally invested in the match?

Odd, to say the least.
    No emotions from Hibs fan in 1986.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjEsN4E85s

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post

Good to watch that again

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post

What always gets me from that video is just how exultant the Dee fans were in what was a meaningless game for them. Ach, I'm off to The Vault to reread sickback on 21/5/16!!

Pff, I was about boaking when they went one up in the final last year. That pettiness is more than mutual.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    What always gets me from that video is just how exultant the Dee fans were in what was a meaningless game for them. Ach, I'm off to The Vault to reread sickback on 21/5/16!!
    I might be wrong but did Dundee not need to win to qualify for Europe? They deserved to after that.