hibs.net Messageboard

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member

Scott Allan - diabetics to be isolated for up to 12 weeks

If or when ‘at-risk’ groups are asked to self isolate for up to 12 weeks, this would see the end to Scott’s season.

The health minister today stated that those with conditions that require/are recommended the flu vaccination would be asked to self isolate for a period of up to 12 weeks, under current guidelines.

I am also a diabetic, told today to stay home from work and work remotely... before these new measures came into play.

Unknown times ahead for many, stay safe everyone.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Very worrying times.

Stay healthy, BS.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Blog Entries
    Shame for Scott, but he’ll train and keep fit in the time he is isolated. I think the season is over for all players, fit, unfit or those in vulnerable groups. Scott will be back playing for Hibs as well as he is at present.
    I’m 73, widowed and type two diabetic and am resigned to a few months of isolation. I’ll make sure I get out and about during this time and will play plenty of golf and walk a lot. I’ll still meet friends and family at a very safe distance. The thing I’ll miss most is cuddles from the grandkids. Life will go on.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shame for Scott, but he’ll train and keep fit in the time he is isolated. I think the season is over for all players, fit, unfit or those in vulnerable groups. Scott will be back playing for Hibs as well as he is at present.
    I’m 73, widowed and type two diabetic and am resigned to a few months of isolation. I’ll make sure I get out and about during this time and will play plenty of golf and walk a lot. I’ll still meet friends and family at a very safe distance. The thing I’ll miss most is cuddles from the grandkids. Life will go on.
    💚💚💚

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    What a lovely post Jim, puts it all into perspective

Hope the sun shines, and you have a record score at the golf!

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Stay safe Jim.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the kind words, guys, but this post is not about me, it’s essentially about Scott and everybody facing challenges in the next couple of months. What we all hoped might be a wee inconvenience a month ago is now a major issue for us all so I think a big group hug is in order.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Good luck Jim.

My wife is in the same boat as she’s type 1 diabetic and I’m currently not sure how we are going to deal with it.

I wasn’t sure what the ‘rules’ were on going for walks in quiet places where there won’t be much human contact, I’m sure I heard that was still a bit of a no go but I can’t think why?

I’m also conscious that I’ll be going out to work and our boy is going to school and coming home to her, I’m not sure how that can be avoided though.

It’s a hell of a scary time, I just keep trying to remind her, and myself, that in the greater scheme of things it’s not a huge amount of time, the next three months will feel like an eternity though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Good luck Jim.

My wife is in the same boat as she’s type 1 diabetic and I’m currently not sure how we are going to deal with it.

I wasn’t sure what the ‘rules’ were on going for walks in quiet places where there won’t be much human contact, I’m sure I heard that was still a bit of a no go but I can’t think why?

I’m also conscious that I’ll be going out to work and our boy is going to school and coming home to her, I’m not sure how that can be avoided though.

It’s a hell of a scary time, I just keep trying to remind her, and myself, that in the greater scheme of things it’s not a huge amount of time, the next three months will feel like an eternity though.
    Thanks, b70. We’re all pretty much in the dark but I’m confident that fresh air and walking in quiet areas is fine and, in my opinion a good thing for physical and mental health and getting rid of cabin fever. Best wishes to you and your family.

Coaching Staff
    Not diabetic, but in every other aspect my life mirrors yours, today my daughter told my grand children they weren’t to give me cuddles, you do miss it.

I'm also 73, Jim. if you swap your diabetes for my COPD, we are in the same boat.
    I don't know if I'll be able to handle 3 or 4 months of isolation, with no football or other sports.
    Like you, Jim, I'll try to get out for a walk, but my lung disease means that won't be too far.
    I understand that I will be helping to ensure that the NHS is not overwhelmed, but my biggest problem is what exactly happens to the likes of us at the end of this 12 or 16 week period. The disease is still going to be around and it will still most likely kill me if I catch it.
    That's something to look forward to after a long isolation

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    I'm also 73, Jim. if you swap your diabetes for my COPD, we are in the same boat.
    I don't know if I'll be able to handle 3 or 4 months of isolation, with no football or other sports.
    Like you, Jim, I'll try to get out for a walk, but my lung disease means that won't be too far.
    I understand that I will be helping to ensure that the NHS is not overwhelmed, but my biggest problem is what exactly happens to the likes of us at the end of this 12 or 16 week period. The disease is still going to be around and it will still most likely kill me if I catch it.
    Sorry to hear about your illness mim. I’ll miss sport as well but, although I’m on my own, I think I will be able to fill my time. I like painting and reading and really enjoy cooking. I watch a fair bit of telly and listen to the radio a lot. I think looking after your mental health is as important as physical health so keep your mind active and keep a sense of humour. Of course there’s always Hibs.net for a good old moan and at least some interaction with other folk. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    The best of luck to you

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due
    Take care. Your positive view on life is uplifting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Take care. Your positive view on life is uplifting.
    Cheers, mate. It’s quite ironic and strange to read your words, because, as quite few on here can testify, I have been and, on a good day, can be one of the grumpiest and most negative barstewards on this board when it comes to chatting about Hibs, football and humdrum life in general . But, let’s face it, all that’s trivial in the bigger scheme of things. This crisis is a huge boot up the arse in terms of taking a serious look at the really important things in life and I am focussed on my and my family’s quality of life. Football might be in hibernation but we’ve all just got to get on with things as best we can.

Cheers, mate. It’s quite ironic and strange to read your words, because, as quite few on here can testify, I have been and, on a good day, can be one of the grumpiest and most negative barstewards on this board when it comes to chatting about Hibs, football and humdrum life in general . But, let’s face it, all that’s trivial in the bigger scheme of things. This crisis is a huge boot up the arse in terms of taking a serious look at the really important things in life and I am focussed on my and my family’s quality of life. Football might be in hibernation but we’ve all just got to get on with things as best we can.

I can vouch for that.

All the best Jim. I hope you're cuddling your Grandkids again soon.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 17-03-2020 at 08:08 AM.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    No doubt you'll still be around to take the cash frae your auld buddy in the golf challenges. 😁🏌️

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i better get 3 months worth of tinned food in

soon

and my daughter better do likewise

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    No one can get near him on the pitch anyway 😀

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    No one can get near him on the pitch anyway 😀
    Brilliant 🇳🇬

@hibs.net private member
    My gran and my mother in law also face this next hurdle alone, so I really feel for everyone faced with the next few months spent isolated, thankfully we do live in a world with caters phones and the like. I know it’s not the same but hopefully softens the blow. All the best to everyone out there, regardless of your point of view on current matters. Stay safe, be healthy and persevere.

Testimonial Due
    Communication from govt. is confusing as usual. Social isolation, for those with symptoms is different from social distancing

Testimonial Due
    What is social distancing?
    Social distancing measures are steps you can take to reduce the social interaction between people. This will help reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19).

They are:
    Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough;
    Avoid non-essential use of public transport, varying your travel times to avoid rush hour, when possible; 3.Work from home, where possible. Your employer should support you to do this. Please refer to employer guidance for more information;
    Avoid large gatherings, and gatherings in smaller public spaces such as pubs, cinemas, restaurants, theatres, bars, clubs
    Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media.
    Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services.
    Everyone should be trying to follow these measures as much as is pragmatic.

For those who are over 70, have an underlying health condition or are pregnant, we strongly advise you to follow the above measures as much as you can, and to significantly limit your face-to-face interaction with friends and family if possible.

This advice is likely to be in place for some weeks.

Handwashing and Respiratory Hygiene
    There are general principles you can follow to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
    washing your hands more often - with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use a hand sanitiser when you get home or into work, when you blow your nose, sneeze or cough, eat or handle food
    avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
    avoid close contact with people who have symptoms
    cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in a bin and wash your hands
    clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces in the home

Testimonial Due
    Here is a link to the official version of the updated guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.
    This group includes those who are:
    aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
    under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
    chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
    chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
    chronic kidney disease
    chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
    chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
    diabetes
    problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
    a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
    being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
    those who are pregnant
    Note: there are some clinical conditions which put people at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19. If you are in this category, next week the NHS in England will directly contact you with advice the more stringent measures you should take in order to keep yourself and others safe. For now, you should rigorously follow the social distancing advice in full, outlined below.

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:
    People who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
    People with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
    People with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
    People with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
    People with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    Here is a link to the official version of the updated guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.
    This group includes those who are:
    aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
    under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
    chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
    chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
    chronic kidney disease
    chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
    chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
    diabetes
    problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
    a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
    being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
    those who are pregnant
    Note: there are some clinical conditions which put people at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19. If you are in this category, next week the NHS in England will directly contact you with advice the more stringent measures you should take in order to keep yourself and others safe. For now, you should rigorously follow the social distancing advice in full, outlined below.

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:
    People who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
    People with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
    People with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
    People with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
    People with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)
    I fall into this bracket and it’s not quite sunk in yet. I’m more annoyed that my 8 a side football is cancelled. However, as with others on this thread I’ll still walk a lot, golf should be ok as I spend most of a round in the rough away from people, and get the garden done. Not such a sacrifice in the grand scale of things really
    Last edited by Scorrie; 18-03-2020 at 06:04 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    While not wanting to start a d*ck measuring contest, I do have to point out that while T1 and T2 are basically different ends of a similar spectrum, both conditions have negative effects in our immune systems, making us susceptible to catching viruses, colds, flus, etc more easily.

Type 2 DiabetesIs a metabolic disease and is indicated by high blood glucose levels due to insufficient insulin production by the pancreas. Inflammatory response occurs as a result of immune response to high blood glucose levels as well as the presence of inflammatory mediators produced by adipocytes and macrophages in fat tissue. This low and chronic inflammation leads to damage of the pancreatic beta cells and insufficient insulin production, which results in hyperglycemia.Hyperglycemia in diabetes is thought to cause dysfunction of the immune response, which results in failure to control the spread of invading pathogens in diabetic subjects. Therefore, diabetic subjects are known to more susceptible to infections. The increased prevalence of T2D will increase the incidence of infectious diseases and related comorbidities.

Neither are ideal in our current situation, hence why the government has not differentiated between the two so far.