hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too many clubs up here. Dundee pubs need to merge, Hibs will save Hearts and Celtic will buy Sevco for a pound.
    So Dundee and Dundee United, two of the top 10 supported clubs in the country should merge and at a stroke leave us short of one relatively well supported club and do away with the countries 3rd most exciting derby match. Under the heading 'too many clubs' Dundee and Dundee Utd are two of the last you would look to see the back of.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Really? We will earn our immunity as we have always done.
    What will help is if our leaders and rich get the cash out and bolster the NHS with whatever it takes. Staff/ventilators.
    One EPL football player probably takes home enough money to buy dozens of these.
    Raheem Sterling £300,000 a week? Much much more than obscene.
    Probably run a hospital wing and a bunch of staff on his own.

That's all very interesting but I don't see how it gets you to football being back in a few weeks given the scale of what is going to develop.

In related news, apparently Ronaldo is turning all his hotels in Portugal’s into free hospitals and will pay to run them as such.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    In related news, apparently Ronaldo is turning all his hotels in Portugal’s into free hospitals and will pay to run them as such.
    It’s a real credit to him this isn’t it ..great effort ....

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Think the English championship will be hit really hard. Some of the clubs in that division have massive debts, chasing the holy grail of the Premier League

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...tball/50674331
    Last edited by Billy Whizz; 15-03-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    Not the first time Ronaldo has been generous with his money for a good cause either ... He might come across as an arrogant guy on the pitch, but clearly he has a heart to match his ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think the English championship will be hit really hard. Some of the clubs in that division have massive debts, chasing the holy grail of the Premier League

Staggering figures, a third of those clubs are no bigger than Hibs but losses like that would wipe us off the map

It seems the EFL's biggest problem wont be loss of gate money, but the companies and folk who own them being affected by business losses or a dilution of their personal fortunes .... if that happens and its a case of selling a factory, losing the private island or binning the fitba financial black hole no prizes for guessing which goes.

Mind, if yer club is owned by Andrex look forward to the champions league final
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 15-03-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Too many clubs up here. Dundee pubs need to merge, Hibs will save Hearts and Celtic will buy Sevco for a pound.
    Your right, too many pubs in Dundee.
    Hunners o them. Nae need.

As for bookies, they will be getting it up the trumpet anaw.

Gid time tae start workin' with folk wae gamblin' problems.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 15-03-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post

It's only when the tide goes out that you discover who's been swimming naked.

Warren Buffet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Not the first time Ronaldo has been generous with his money for a good cause either ... He might come across as an arrogant guy on the pitch, but clearly he has a heart to match his ego.
    Wish this was true but appears to be fake news? pulled from the Mail earlier. Although the Star is hardly a bastion of truth!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/cristiano-ronaldo-coronavirus-hotel-story-21696118

@hibs.net private member
    Let’s say there is no football for 3-4 months or maybe even longer. I could see clubs deliberately going into admin to get players of their pay roll. I’m not saying this will happen but it’s possible.

Also can see again depending on the time frame without football, the transfer window changing. Why would you try and sign players during the normal transfer window to pay wages if no football is getting played?

This could mean that there could be quite a few players that are out of contract when their contracts run out at the end of May and no one wanting them.

all hypothetical I know but still a realistic possibility.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    Don't tell that to Notts County...almost 5000 for their game today. Don't know what their usual crowd is, but g\looks like lots of local football fans decided to head along.
    So much for stopping large gatherings
    Notts' usual home gate is around 5,200. They were a few hundred down yesterday, in spite of being the only team playing remotely in the area. i know that fans from clubs such as Forest, Mansfield, Lincoln and Villa had enquired about tickets to attend. I think that interest was outweighed by regular spectators, of which I am one, who decided to stay away.

The polar opposite of Messi.

Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    Notts' usual home gate is around 5,200. They were a few hundred down yesterday, in spite of being the only team playing remotely in the area. i know that fans from clubs such as Forest, Mansfield, Lincoln and Villa had enquired about tickets to attend. I think that interest was outweighed by regular spectators, of which I am one, who decided to stay away.
    Yes i saw the article on the Beeb
    They were the only club in the championship
    WITH a below average crowd
    Some of the sixth tier teams had bumper
    crowds
    The fact that a 5th tier team in England
    can get 5000 a week is phenomenal

Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    Let’s say there is no football for 3-4 months or maybe even longer. I could see clubs deliberately going into admin to get players of their pay roll. I’m not saying this will happen but it’s possible.

Also can see again depending on the time frame without football, the transfer window changing. Why would you try and sign players during the normal transfer window to pay wages if no football is getting played?

This could mean that there could be quite a few players that are out of contract when their contracts run out at the end of May and no one wanting them.

all hypothetical I know but still a realistic possibility.

GGTTH
    The logical thing to do imho is to extend contracts of those ending on Jun 1st and finish the season with the same squads teams have now. After all clubs can't sign players just now. Once the season is completed the transfer window can open and those who were out of contract on Jun 1 are free agents and can sign for whoever. There's no way the transfer window will open if this season isn't finished.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    The logical thing to do imho is to extend contracts of those ending on Jun 1st and finish the season with the same squads teams have now. After all clubs can't sign players just now. Once the season is completed the transfer window can open and those who were out of contract on Jun 1 are free agents and can sign for whoever. There's no way the transfer window will open if this season isn't finished.
    You can’t just extend a contract if a player doesn’t want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? We will earn our immunity as we have always done.
    What will help is if our leaders and rich get the cash out and bolster the NHS with whatever it takes. Staff/ventilators.
    One EPL football player probably takes home enough money to buy dozens of these.
    Raheem Sterling £300,000 a week? Much much more than obscene.
    Probably run a hospital wing and a bunch of staff on his own.
    more than obscene. if u can get more.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Let's all be eternally grateful for those obscenely overpaid Premiership players for being forced to pay taxes*.

We should all light a candle to them in gratitude every evening, maybe say a wee prayer.

* Or at least those that haven't worked out schemes to avoid it yet.
    their agents or their accountants will be all over that, as we speak.

Football will be back in a few weeks.
    Aye. And the war will be over by Christmas 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby View Post
    Aye. And the war will be over by Christmas 🙄
    Well perhaps football will be back next season. I’m not banking on it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post

Not got a problem with this, except what if let’s say Hearts or Hamilton etc have 4-5-6 players going out of contract who refuse to resign until the new transfer window opens.

I can hear the excuses now we can’t finish our fixtures because we’ve not got these players so we can’t be relegated as it’s not our fault. Again all hypothetical but can actually happen.

Anyway whatever happens I hope we get a decision soon as I’d just like to know in which way we are headed.

GGTTH

First Team Breakthrough GTMRossaK3's Avatar

Option to any merge - ground share suggestion

So Dundee and Dundee United, two of the top 10 supported clubs in the country should merge and at a stroke leave us short of one relatively well supported club and do away with the countries 3rd most exciting derby match. Under the heading 'too many clubs' Dundee and Dundee Utd are two of the last you would look to see the back of.
    I live close to but not in Dundee. Have considered the options for the future of the two Dundee clubs for a good few years now and suggest the following as a viable option. A merger politically is a no goer as it destroys the years of history behind each club and that is something the vast majority of fans would never accept. Ground sharing is a different thing - there is no reason why each team in a shared stadium could not have their own side of the shared stadium with their dedicated changing room and other dedicated facilities, coloured stand, dugout, etc. Dundee is not a big enough city to support two expensive football stadiums as I see it. Be interested to hear views - probably applies to other clubs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GTMRossaK3 View Post
    I live close to but not in Dundee. Have considered the options for the future of the two Dundee clubs for a good few years now and suggest the following as a viable option. A merger politically is a no goer as it destroys the years of history behind each club and that is something the vast majority of fans would never accept. Ground sharing is a different thing - there is no reason why each team in a shared stadium could not have their own side of the shared stadium with their dedicated changing room and other dedicated facilities, coloured stand, dugout, etc. Dundee is not a big enough city to support two expensive football stadiums as I see it. Be interested to hear views - probably applies to other clubs as well.
    Totally agree. I would imagine the proximity of the two grounds practically means the experience of going to watch Dundee or Dundee Utd is the same for both seats of fans until they actually enter the stadium.

Over the last 5 years or more millions and millions have been spent redeveloping Dundee's waterfront, it's a real up and coming city. I'm amazed the two clubs never got together, agreed to sell off the land their two stadiums occupy and in conjunction with other partners tried to build a shared 12 to 14 thousand capacity stadium .... I would imagine the savings in running one stadium would be significant and it's not as if they would be the first clubs to ground share.

Neither club would be compromising their identity in such a situation.

Totally agree. I would imagine the proximity of the two grounds practically means the experience of going to watch Dundee or Dundee Utd is the same for both seats of fans until they actually enter the stadium.

Over the last 5 years or more millions and millions have been spent redeveloping Dundee's waterfront, it's a real up and coming city. I'm amazed the two clubs never got together, agreed to sell off the land their two stadiums occupy and in conjunction with other partners tried to build a shared 12 to 14 thousand capacity stadium .... I would imagine the savings in running one stadium would be significant and it's not as if they would be the first clubs to ground share.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/spor...dundee-united/

Dundee are already looking to build a 15,000 seater stadium and are hoping Utd will groundshare with them

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but I'm sure that there will be many once wealthy owners who threw their spare change at football clubs that are likely to be not so wealthy and will need it to prop up their company. Same with some companies that provide multi million pound sponsorship to clubs like the Airlines or Betting Companies.

That said, there will be some companies that will benefit from the virus. Gaming and gambling operators are likely to benefit as many more people are forced to isolate themselves for a long period to ward off the disease.

Think we'll see a number of clubs go bust. It's possible that season 2020/21 will be disrupted by teams going bust, assuming it even starts.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Allegiances aside, Imagine sharing a stadium with financial nut jobs like Hearts or Rangers...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by foxy View Post

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/spor...dundee-united/

Dundee are already looking to build a 15,000 seater stadium and are hoping Utd will groundshare with them
    It'll be a big empty stadium outside the city. I don't understand why they don't redevelop one of the current sites. 12,000 would probably be a good size - big enough to have room for walk-ups, but small enough to create some demand.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkyBergkamp View Post
    Allegiances aside, Imagine sharing a stadium with financial nut jobs like Hearts or Rangers...
    Given that Dundee's recent history involves going into administration twice in seven years, I'd be wary of moving in with them as well.

Coaching Staff
    And Ibrox has I read manage to recruit another multi millionaire to plough cash into the club.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    About time a good few clubs went out of business!
    That’s an utterly ridiculous comment. We’re no more deserving of a club to support than those who ardently follow Forfar, Brechin, Stranraer etc. Shocker of a post
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller