hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 46
  1. #1

    Official Site: END OF AN ERA | DAVID HARDIE



  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member The 90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    14,845
    Good luck in retirement. Always liked his reporting back in the day.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    17,947
    Yes best wishes to him. I imagine he is glad to get out, having witnessed how far the EEN has fallen in recent years.

  5. #4
    Yes in this day and age of

    [Advert]

    Click bait and

    [Advert]

    Social media likes and impact

    [Advert]

    He always seemed like one of the good guys

    [Advert]

    Good luck and enjoy your well earned retirement!

  6. #5
    Old Codger Hibstorian Jonnyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    East Lothian
    Age
    68
    Posts
    32,046
    David is a great guy and I wish him a long and happy retirement
    This is how it feels

  7. #6
    One of my childhood memories was seeing David Hardies player ratings in the News on a Monday and either agreeing or disagreeing with them.

    He always seemed a bit old school, in a good way, so the modern desk bound journalistic role at the EEN probably doesn't suit him.

    Best wishes to him in his retirement.

  8. #7
    Promising Youngster May21/05/16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Age
    59
    Posts
    61
    Not a patch on john Gibson

    Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Testimonial Due LaMotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    EH4
    Posts
    3,362
    Quote Originally Posted by May21/05/16 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a patch on john Gibson

    Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
    Quite the opposite IMO.

    Great reporter, nice guy, will be missed.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    22,852
    Quote Originally Posted by May21/05/16 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a patch on john Gibson

    Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
    I disagree. With David Hardie I never got the impression that he was bigger than the story.

  11. #10
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,570
    Helped us a lot out here in Oz in our early days and I still keep in touch with him occasionally.

    He was a good lad.

  12. #11
    Just want to wish David all the very best for his retirement.

    Used to catch up with him on various European away days with Hibs a real journalist and a gentleman with it.

    The Evening News used to have a slogan "Tomorrows news today" that can hardly be said of todays issues. You can have alook at mid day and they are still running
    stories from the morning before.

    Sad to see such an Edinburgh institution fall so far from grace.

    They will miss David and his professionalism.

    Good Luck pal. xx

  13. #12
    Grew u reading all my hibs latest written by david hardie.
    thanks for all the hibs scoops and match reports.
    End of an era for the news!
    Good luck david.

    GGTTH

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes best wishes to him. I imagine he is glad to get out, having witnessed how far the EEN has fallen in recent years.
    Spot on. I remember there used to be several editions a day and you would sometimes get news of a Hibs signing in the City Final edition. Now the paper is printed the night before and not worth buying. David Hardie must have found it a dull environment compared to the buzz of old school journalism. I'll be surprised if the paper itself doesn't get 'retired' soon.

    Anyway, all the best to DH. He was the man to go to for Hibs news back in the day.

  15. #14
    Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    roond the corner
    Posts
    1,284
    David's a good pal of mine and was planning on having a few beers in the Iona tomorrow after the game to celebrate his retirement but this has now changed to a 3.00 KO (how apt) meet-up at a pub in Goldenacre tomorrow afternoon.

  16. #15
    Testimonial Due NOLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Krakow
    Posts
    4,782
    Good luck in life David Hardie! If I saw youíd written something bout Hibs in the news I believed it! In this day that means something


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member The 90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    14,845
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good luck in life David Hardie! If I saw youíd written something bout Hibs in the news I believed it! In this day that means something


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most definitely. Everything else meant pap unless it was reported by David Hardie.

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member uwxm07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    22
    Good luck in retirement.
    Enjoyed your reports for almost 5 decades

    I doubt I will even click on the EEN links now youíve retired I gave up the hootsman years back . Times change , people change but apparently Scottish Newspapers just give up and die

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    31,101
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by May21/05/16 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a patch on john Gibson

    Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
    Totally disagree. Night and day both as journalists and people imo.

    Best of luck David.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Age
    60
    Posts
    19,140
    Top reporter and reading his coverage of Hibs from afar was a staple of my time away from Edinburgh when I used to have the papers posted down.

    A long and Happy retirement.

    Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

    "I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

    Sir Matt Busby

  21. #20
    Good luck with your next venture David, even if it is just enjoying your retirement, I always enjoyed reading your articles over the years, made a change to have someone in the press who was on our side. 👍👍

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    11,801
    Good luck with your retirement David and all the best for the future

    I always enjoyed reading your match reports and updates

    John Gibson was also very good but my all time favourite is the late great Stewart Brown

    Three legends from a bygone age

    The EEN will never be the same again

  23. #22
    All the best David. Unlike some other reporters he only wrote articles that were true/correct. No speculation or made up sources. He will be missed but the days of evening papers have gone IMO

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    sunny leith
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,908
    Quote Originally Posted by May21/05/16 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a patch on john Gibson

    Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
    Seriously?

  25. #24
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    12,467
    Very nice man David. He's in a long line of Hibby newspapermen.

    I might mention Ian Wood of The Scotsman - old school and a charming chap also.

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    9,258
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very nice man David. He's in a long line of Hibby newspapermen.

    I might mention Ian Wood of The Scotsman - old school and a charming chap also.
    Two good points

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    60
    Posts
    8,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Evening News used to have a slogan "Tomorrows news today" that can hardly be said of todays issues.
    Now it's "a little bit of yesterday afternoons news, this morning".

  28. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good luck with your retirement David and all the best for the future

    I always enjoyed reading your match reports and updates

    John Gibson was also very good but my all time favourite is the late great Stewart Brown

    Three legends from a bygone age

    The EEN will never be the same again
    Yes, he was the one I remember reading as a kid. IIRC he was instrumental in bringing George Best to Hibs. His book 'Hibernian Greats' is excellent.

    As others have mentioned Ian Wood was another great Hibs-supporting journalist.

  29. #28
    Was/is DH not a Rangers fan? Iím sure Iíve been told that. You canít tell from his writing which is testament to what a good professional heís been.

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    East Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,539
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was/is DH not a Rangers fan? Iím sure Iíve been told that. You canít tell from his writing which is testament to what a good professional heís been.
    Heard that years ago too, it didn't prevent him from reporting with style on all things Hibs. Nice to see him at Alan Lugton's funeral too.

    Thanks David and good luck with whatever you turn your hand to next.

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    11,801
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, he was the one I remember reading as a kid. IIRC he was instrumental in bringing George Best to Hibs. His book 'Hibernian Greats' is excellent.

    As others have mentioned Ian Wood was another great Hibs-supporting journalist.
    👍🏾

    Four legends
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 14-03-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)