hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: What would be most acceptable way to conclude this season?

Voters
469. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attempt to restart it at a later date if at all possible.

173 36.89%
  • End it with the league standings as they are now. Scottish Cup may just need to be cancelled.

271 57.78%
  • Declare it null and void.

16 3.41%
  • Other (please suggest).

9 1.92%
Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    It could present an opportunity to switch to summer football. Time it to have the last league games in November then cup final . Close season till February and Roberts your fathers brother

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely in this scenario Rangers will be delighted?
    I think a lot of ra peepul still see the possibility of catching Celtic.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Euro 2020 will be postponed one year freeing up summer fixture space for this season’s fixtures to be completed, if the virus is under control.

Coaching Staff
    Not sure they will declare things null and void given other sports - when certain circumstances occur where the fixture is suspended/stopped - go to score cards or where current standings are (e.g. boxing goes to score cards, Formula 1 goes to current standings in a race, etc. after certain rounds or laps have been completed).

Can't see any football being played for at least a few months. Be a thankless task making any sort of sporting decision either way. Health and trying to ease the strain on health services comes first always though, the correct decision has been made

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Wait a few weeks then finish the season behind closed doors if necessary
    Its the best way to go.

I think Euro2020 will be rescheduled to 2021 and they'll attempt to utilise the summer to complete the season, but whether there is a likelihood of Corona virus come under control in that timeline is another matter, but it will give them a buffer.

I think the postponement is premature. This weekend’s round of fixtures could have gone ahead and perhaps several issues would have become clearer. Then reassess, perhaps looking to play only those fixtures with a bearing on titles, relegation etc., behind closed doors if necessary.

I think declaring it null and void should be the last resort. Hearts are the only club that would benefit from it and that's just wrong.

If possible they should try to complete the season, if necessary cancel the League Cup group fixture and shuffle next year's league fixtures down the road a bit. Just accept that transfer windows etc are going to skew things a bit.

If that's not feasible try to complete the fixtures up to the split either behind closed doors or later in the year and take that as the final standings - at least every team will have played every other team the same amount of times.

Will be interesting to see what they do about the Scottish cup semi if that doesn’t go ahead?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    I think declaring it null and void should be the last resort. Hearts are the only club that would benefit from it and that's just wrong.

If possible they should try to complete the season, if necessary cancel the League Cup group fixture and shuffle next year's league fixtures down the road a bit. Just accept that transfer windows etc are going to skew things a bit.

If that's not feasible try to complete the fixtures up to the split either behind closed doors or later in the year and take that as the final standings - at least every team will have played every other team the same amount of times.
    I think that's right. Shifting the Euro championship to next year and starting the 20/21 season a month later may give enough time to complete the league season (with some closed doors games probably too). I suspect this year's cup may go for a burton - it's easier to void it than a 38 game league (they could also void next season's league cup too as it's the least important trophy) and it's the one Europe wide that determins the vast majority of European football placings for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by aldo85 View Post
    Will be interesting to see what they do about the Scottish cup semi if that doesn’t go ahead?
    No need to play this until fans are ok to watch. Even it takes till june/july

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    If the seasons extended and folk are out of.contract end of June.....

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough EAZY-ME's Avatar
    I think if the season gets cancelled then it should stand the way it is... Celtic champions hearts relegated and so on and so forth.....the semis could be played in the summer

There is no way they can make it null and void.

Too many legal cases would take place.

Does that mean league cup winner don’t count?

They have to play the fixtures even if it’s delayed.

Too many teams have managers / players on certain contracts and have invested for this season.

The issue I see is contracted players..insurance..so they play or do clubs agree to extend it till seasons end??

Pre contract players also..

Even lower leagues like lowland league need concluded.

Mens Euros will be next summer and schedule frantically rearranged. The women’s Euros is meant to be next summer in France also though.

Pre-season is going to be very short too especially with Europa league qualifiers.

With World Cup in Qatar being played in winter then may find a way to reschedule domestic leagues to suit that a year early.
    Last edited by GreenCastle; 13-03-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I voted for option two, mainly to have a dig at Hearts, but I’m certain they will declare the season null and void. The SPFL and SFA will see the financial benefits of keeping Hearts in the Scottish Premiership. Dundee United and Rangers will be up in arms but that’s how the cookie crumbles.
    If the season is null and void then no prize money gets given out at all. Who’s going to vote for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Play to the split then you have a winner and Hearts down.

Not having the play offs wouldn’t be popular for teams in those positions though.

Declaring the season Null and Void would suit two teams, Der Hun and their wee Edinburgh cousins.

For that reason alone, this should not even be considered.

Moving to a 14 team league would be against rules as well. All league re construction needs one year notice.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Finish as it stands. We are more than seven months into the season, you can't just write it all off, as if it never happened.

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

Not having the play offs wouldn’t be popular for teams in those positions though.
    The split might be the best target. Only 3 more games (plus some games in hand), even behind close doors/PPV if need be. Other finish points don't seem that plausible, TBH.

Lawyers must be rubbing their hands at the potential legal challenges from Hearts/Rangers/DUFC or whoever, whatever the decision is. Even more so in other Leagues and competitions.

Ideally we can get going again, and complete the season during the summer.

If that’s not an option then we’ve played more than enough to just call it and move on. Depends exactly what’s in the rule book as to whether that can actually happen though.

The issue of income and clubs facing problems is apparently being raised at Holyrood this afternoon also...

We are just a few (3?) behind closed doors matches away from the Premier having played three full rounds of fixtures. Get to that in an 8 day period. No split league done.

Championship L1 and L2 already done three rounds. Go back to game week 27 position. Standings count. Play-offs behind closed doors. Sorted.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

That’s what I think, next week play Saturday Wednesday Saturday that’s us at 33 games everyone played 3 times league places stand 1 down 1 up.

Scottish cup either scrapped or the following weekend sees both semis, final on the following sat

Maybe have to play the league games closed doors clubs could invite donations from supporters who would have went to the home games tohelp cover costs?

Get it done next week 3 games in a week.
    No split.
    Play the cup in the summer when fans can attend.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    What would they do if war had been declared?

In 1939, the season was suspended after a mere 5 games.

I think Rangers were crowned as champions and Cowdenbeath relegated.

Can anyone confirm?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Get it done next week 3 games in a week.
    No split.
    Play the cup in the summer when fans can attend.
    You do know we have suspended football?

Review the situation mid april. a lot can happen between now and then. Right decision has finally been taken. We need to look at shutting schools down for now too.

Every club will have their lawyers on speed dial just now. We've completed 79% of the season. My opinion is that we cannot annul considering we have come so far. Other sports have methods to determine outcomes if unable to proceed (Boxing, cricket)

Football is now on the back burner for me. As is my wedding (scheduled for late June in Italy), family/friends/neighbours become the priority and ensuring those that need care or support, get that.

https://twitter.com/clydessb/status/...952477185?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Review the situation mid april. a lot can happen between now and then. Right decision has finally been taken. We need to look at shutting schools down for now too.

Every club will have their lawyers on speed dial just now. We've completed 79% of the season. My opinion is that we cannot annul considering we have come so far. Other sports have methods to determine outcomes if unable to proceed (Boxing, cricket)

Football is now on the back burner for me. As is my wedding (scheduled for late June in Italy), family/friends/neighbours become the priority and ensuring those that need care or support, get that.
    Every cloud