hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: What would be most acceptable way to conclude this season?

Voters
469. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attempt to restart it at a later date if at all possible.

173 36.89%
  • End it with the league standings as they are now. Scottish Cup may just need to be cancelled.

271 57.78%
  • Declare it null and void.

16 3.41%
  • Other (please suggest).

9 1.92%
Page 26 of 58 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really. There is provision in the sfa rules that any decisions needed which is outside the normal functions is biding and all teams have signed up to it. If the majority of clubs vote to end as is then that's it. No legal challenges. The only slight amendment we be if teams have games in hand that could have affected their finishing position. Im fairly certain this will be the outcome. Only partick in league one would have a game in hand that would affect outcomes.
    St Johnstone has a game in hand, which if they win, moves them up a place in the league.

It is against the rangers.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

As has been suggested the SPFL should pay the prize money out now based on current league positions. That gives clubs a bit of finance to see them through the next couple of months.

They can then see if they can finish the league by 30 June or not. If they cannot finish prize money stands as is. Title winners, relegation, promotion, league reconstruction would then be the debate.

If they can finish the season then every club would have a debit or credit paid together with the following seasons prize money. I.e. Hibs are paid now for 6th and StJ paid now for 7th. Season recommences later and transpires Saints finish 6th and Hibs 7th then Saints would get the difference they missed out on added to whatever they get next season. We get a deduction on our award next season for the diff between 6th and 7th

Just using Hibs and Saints swapping places as an example, needless to say if the season does finish we will finish 3rd ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    You must know the season can’t be finished? There will be no football before July. And it can’t be finished after that because the clubs have no money and the only way they can get money is start next season. You do know all that, don’t you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah mate, its so blindingly obvious that it hasn't happened yet. Condesending patter.

The season should be finished. Clubs do have money, all of them except Hearts seem to be doing fine. I bet you the Premier league gets finished. All the top leagues will be, behind closed doors or not.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Oh yeah mate, its so blindingly obvious that it hasn't happened yet. Condesending patter.

The season should be finished. Clubs do have money, all of them except Hearts seem to be doing fine. I bet you the Premier league gets finished. All the top leagues will be, behind closed doors or not.
    Well the govt are planning on virus peaking in may and June, the NHS is in emergency mode until mid june at least, and even the ever bullish PM Johnson is saying 12 weeks to turn the tide (i.e. stop cases rising), schools are being closed until August, parliament is about to close until August and the govt are making their biggest ever peacetime intervention in the economy because things look so bleak.

If you dont think anyone is saying it, its because youre not looking in the right places.

There is absolutely zero chance of this season being concluded in Scotland by the end of june deadline.
    Last edited by James Stephen; 20-03-2020 at 02:29 PM.

You appear to be the only person that has that opinion.

It's only a game, a bit of perspective might help.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I'd end the season now, promotion, relegation, and titles given on where teams are now.

If one or two clubs go to court on it then fair enough, take the hit.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    The Scottish football authorities should grow a pair of balls and make a decision now to end the league as is. If we were bottom I'd moan a bit, but if we'd been utter dog**** for the past 12 months I'd have to accept we deserve to be relegated.

Talk of a June finish is a just a mess with players being out of contract and the issues that would entail, nevermind the likliehood that the coronavirus will still be a problem at that time.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    The Scottish football authorities should grow a pair of balls and make a decision now to end the league as is. If we were bottom I'd moan a bit, but if we'd been utter dog**** for the past 12 months I'd have to accept we deserve to be relegated.

Talk of a June finish is a just a mess with players being out of contract and the issues that would entail, nevermind the likliehood that the coronavirus will still be a problem at that time.
    Exactly, and there will also need to be a period for teams to prepare for the games resuming as well - you can't have teams with players training in isolation then, at a weeks notice, say that matches are resuming.

There's zero chance that games will resume on time to complete the season by the end of June. I'm not even sure they'll be ready for an August start to next season.

They need to look at concluding the season asap.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Exactly, and there will also need to be a period for teams to prepare for the games resuming as well - you can't have teams with players training in isolation then, at a weeks notice, say that matches are resuming.

There's zero chance that games will resume on time to complete the season by the end of June. I'm not even sure they'll be ready for an August start to next season.

They need to look at concluding the season asap.
    If we can see it Matty I don't know how they can't. You can't have a situation where the league resumes with squads that could conceivably be vastly different to how they are now.

In the overall scheme of things football is not a major issue BUT that's Doncaster and his cronies job to deal with this about time we heard from them.

You also have to remember teams aren’t training right now / players till try to stay fit but match sharpness etc won’t be there.

Teams will probably need some practice matches otherwise they will get a load of injuries.

Can’t just see them saying - ok time to go back to train - you have a game in 7 days. Can you imagine multi million pound players being told this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    You appear to be the only person that has that opinion.

It's only a game, a bit of perspective might help.
    Its nothing to do with perspective. Obviously the health of the nation comes first. Then, when the nation is all healthy and happy, this season should be finished.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Its nothing to do with perspective. Obviously the health of the nation comes first. Then, when the nation is all healthy and happy, this season should be finished.
    I would have agreed that the season should be finished a week ago, but the length of the break will probably make this impact on the next season. Call it finished with teams rewarded according to current position. Promotion and relegation for top and bottom teams.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

And then what straight on to the next season? Can't get my head round how this season can be completed.

I honestly can't see football starting up again in time to do that.

I realise you mentioned playing games behind closed doors, but the players are also being isolated from each other, so I can't see that being an option.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    And then what straight on to the next season? Can't get my head round how this season can be completed.
    No, obviously have a break. Cancel cup competition for that year to get things back on track.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    I don’t think we’ve even hit the peak of this virus yet and the worst is still to come unfortunately. The numbers are increasing rather than decreasing day by day.

Cannot see how this season will restart.

No, obviously have a break. Cancel cup competition for that year to get things back on track.
    League cup is a massive earner for lower league clubs. They won’t want that axed. Both cups bring in money for the game and we have sponsors to think about.
    This season is gone and almost everyone accepts that. No point in deliberately disrupting another season if we don’t have to.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    I don’t think we’ve even hit the peak of this virus yet and the worst is still to come unfortunately. The numbers are increasing rather than decreasing day by day.

It can't and it won't anybody who want's it to restart needs to give their head a wobble

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post

Yep. Zero chance of this season starting back up. We're only at the first wave of significant numbers of people becoming infected. God Bless all of us.

Still, the pause in deciding how the season is ended is keeping a lot of us occupied with some excellent posts being put up.

Mon Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    It can't and it won't anybody who want's it to restart needs to give their head a wobble
    I’m not convinced next season will be started let alone finish this one. A line has to be drawn under this season at some point to allow us to move forward. But restarting this season when half the players will be different and some teams may not even be here in many months time will be impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    I’m not convinced next season will be started let alone finish this one. A line has to be drawn under this season at some point to allow us to move forward. But restarting this season when half the players will be different and some teams may not even be here in many months time will be impossible.
    I think everyone in football knows this now. The hold up now is in declaring winners and relegating teams or restructuring.

Worth remembering that they're only talking about turning the tide over the next three months.

So at the end of June things will have started to improve but the coronavirus will still be circulating, just with fewer new infections. That doesn't make playing games in late June or during July a particularly smart move.

The number of hurdles to be overcome if this season is to be completed compared to calling the current standings as final makes it a no-brainer.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    St Johnstone has a game in hand, which if they win, moves them up a place in the league.

It is against the rangers.
    Hibs and st Johnstone could split 6th and 7th place money. No likely that saints would beat the rangers and we have a much better goal difference so a draw would mean we still finish 6th. It's really academic as the split is only relevant if we play the post split games which is highly unlikely. Only partick have a genuine gripe. Imho of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Worth remembering that they're only talking about turning the tide over the next three months.

So at the end of June things will have started to improve but the coronavirus will still be circulating, just with fewer new infections. That doesn't make playing games in late June or during July a particularly smart move.

The number of hurdles to be overcome if this season is to be completed compared to calling the current standings as final makes it a no-brainer.
    Wholeheartedly agree. I don't think the TV companies will be as hard to deal with as some presume. These are extraordinary times so there will have to be some give and take on all sides and a solution found. I doubt there will be reconstruction as it will be looked upon as saving some teams who have had all season to get out of it.
    I strongly suspect only partick might get some sort of leeway.

Coaching Staff
    Scientific advisers saying social distancing will be needed for another 6 months minimum, I wonder if that will have an impact on whether large gatherings are given the go ahead. Football could struggle for a while yet as will other spectator sports. Olympics anyone?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Scientific advisers saying social distancing will be needed for another 6 months minimum, I wonder if that will have an impact on whether large gatherings are given the go ahead. Football could struggle for a while yet as will other spectator sports. Olympics anyone?
    But but but the league needs to be finished. There's not a hope in hell this season will play another game. They need to try and make sure the next season can start at some point in the future, and clubs will need to have some sort of plan for that, not some half arsed hair brained thoughts about this one.

Has the season ended yet?
    Who finished bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I think everyone in football knows this now. The hold up now is in declaring winners and relegating teams or restructuring.

Or declaring this season null and void but divvy out the prize money based on standings at the point declared void. Unlikely certainly but an option
    Last edited by Paisley Hibby; 20-03-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby View Post
    Or declaring this season null and void but divvy out the prize money based on standings at the point declared void. Unlikely certainly but an option
    Then no team gets paid out plus it opens a barrel of worms.
    No it isnt an option.

Governments around the world are having to make huge, life saving decisions, but football authorities can’t sort out a solution to this, surely they know that football for this season is done, there is no way this season can be completed and then move on to next season, something has to give and they really need to sort this sooner rather than later