hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: What would be most acceptable way to conclude this season?

Voters
469. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attempt to restart it at a later date if at all possible.

173 36.89%
  • End it with the league standings as they are now. Scottish Cup may just need to be cancelled.

271 57.78%
  • Declare it null and void.

16 3.41%
  • Other (please suggest).

9 1.92%
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it'll be back on in 2 or 3 weeks.
    That’s when things are supposed to really take hold. Absolutely no chance.

We’ve played more than 3/4s of the season, imo that should mean the league standings are as they are.

However what I think they’ll do is promote 2 and relegate 2 next season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

As it stands . Celtic win the league , Hertz go doon and no Europe for us . Nobody was going to catch Celtic anyway , our chance of 4th was slim and Hertz were never going to catch Hamilton

Same for championship , nobody was going to catch United . They can do the playoffs before the season starts

Left by mutual consent!
    Everyone needs to calm down - social media hysteria.

By the time it gets to April contain and delay will be pointless - if you're going to get it your going to get it so life will get started again.

If you've got it you'll be in bed, the hospitals will have major issues and those in the danger groups will need to take some self responsibility - but that won't stop 22 healthy men kicking a ball and anyone who wants to watch them from going to watch them. The risk is theirs to take, climb the walls in lock down or get on with things.

Everyone so woke.

All back April 3rd - euros in 2021 - season done and dusted 30th June - hearts down

UTD will go tonto if they are kept in the Championship another year.

14 team league probably results in the fewest toys out the pram but then there would be an argument over the 2nd team coming up, Dundee etc would probably argue they were denied the play offs.

Edit: I do think we'll be back up and running in April.

Left by mutual consent!
    It will only be decvalred anything if we are still in this situation in July when time starts to run into what would be new season. A decsion does not need to be made on what happens i believe until May up here.

With 9 games left 2 cup games Hearts or say Hamilton will have 9 games plus play offs or if hearts in play off looking at max 11/12 games for 1 or 2 clubs. Easy to fulifil this in 4/5 week period. Not a chance the season will be voided or decision made until the situation is made clear.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4185 View Post
    It has to be declared as it stands. It would be different if the season was only half way through.

Both premier leagues have clear leaders and heavy favourites.

Positions as stand is the only common sense approach I think
    You are only considering 2 leagues. There are lots of leagues across the uk affected.

There is absolutely no chance that current standings will apply imo. 2 options are
    1. The end of the season is played at a later date. Transfer windows are moved accordingly. It is accepted that players whose contracts expire can move to new clubs.
    2. Declare the season null and void.

I can only see 2 happening over 1 if the delay becomes a very long time i.e. well beyond the summer.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    That’s when things are supposed to really take hold. Absolutely no chance.

We’ve played more than 3/4s of the season, imo that should mean the league standings are as they are.

However what I think they’ll do is promote 2 and relegate 2 next season.
    You try telling the clubs in the league below that there’s an 8 team league next season, or ten with four coming up from the league below while all games this season have stopped, the two biggest clubs are away up to the league above and there’s no relegation when one of the country’s biggest clubs are in bottom spot and would help financially to these teams that are about to face catastrophic financial implications.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    This may finally be what forces league reconstruction.

I voted 'Other'.

In Scotland, I think we should try and complete the games that will have a bearing on the 'big' decisions - i.e. winners, losers, play-off places. To do this, it'll having to mean postponing the International games and trying to play the league games before the end of June, if possible. I would also say that if it's impossible to do the above before the end of June, then the winners & losers are based on current positions and the season ends prematurely. This decision would have to be communicated now. However, I assume that this could be subject to legal challenge.

In the SPFL, I would stop the games before the split and not have teams playing, for many, meaningless games

I would move the Scottish Cup to a 'weekend' at some point in the future, both semi-finals being played on Thursday nights with the Final on the Sunday.

UEFA will also need to think about the early rounds of European qualification, as leagues won't know who's qualified until much later in the season.

To sum it all up, it's a mess.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    You are only considering 2 leagues. There are lots of leagues across the uk affected.

There is absolutely no chance that current standings will apply imo. 2 options are
    1. The end of the season is played at a later date. Transfer windows are moved accordingly. It is accepted that players whose contracts expire can move to new clubs.
    2. Declare the season null and void.

I can only see 2 happening over 1 if the delay becomes a very long time i.e. well beyond the summer.
    Correct IMO I really do not see 2 happening unless as you say there is a major delay, IMO I think there will not be. I think we will be looking at more normality in 3/4 weeks and this does not go the way many are predicting on here, IMO of course.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post

14 team league probably results in the fewest toys out the pram but then there would be an argument over the 2nd team coming up, Dundee etc would probably argue they were denied the play offs.

As I’ve said that’s only fewest toys out the pram for this league, what about all the leagues below and how they would be financially hit? 2 teams come up from the highlands/lowland league next season to cover this with mass relegation next season to get it back to normal?

Quote Originally Posted by puff the dragon View Post

By the time it gets to April contain and delay will be pointless - if you're going to get it your going to get it so life will get started again.

If you've got it you'll be in bed, the hospitals will have major issues and those in the danger groups will need to take some self responsibility - but that won't stop 22 healthy men kicking a ball and anyone who wants to watch them from going to watch them. The risk is theirs to take, climb the walls in lock down or get on with things.

Everyone so woke.

All back April 3rd - euros in 2021 - season done and dusted 30th June - hearts down
    Your presuming that every club will have fit and healthy players though. One player in one club and the whole thing is screwed.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974

Everyone so woke.

Have a read at what's happening in Italy if you think this is hysteria

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post

The reason we don’t have a 14 team league is that it means less money for every club. I can’t see them voting for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Players still need to get paid contracts, they don’t just become unemployed if the season ends. How to clubs manage this without it impacting them on a long term basis?
    Fair point - I've no idea - some clubs may go to the wall, some companies will be doing so, this affects people in all walks of life - the economic impacts will be felt everywhere ...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Your presuming that every club will have fit and healthy players though. One player in one club and the whole thing is screwed.

Won't matter as we won't be trying to contain anymore

Everyone so woke.

I suspect you're being intentionally obtuse/dumb but I'm very glad you aren't in charge of - hopefully - anything meaningful whatsoever as far as running the country goes.

First Team Breakthrough Fisherrow Harp's Avatar
    Bring the Tennent's 6s back and finish the league like that in the summer 😜👍

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherrow Harp View Post
    Bring the Tennent's 6s back and finish the league like that in the summer 😜👍
    I’ve heard worse suggestions tbf.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Fair point - I've no idea - some clubs may go to the wall, some companies will be doing so, this affects people in all walks of life - the economic impacts will be felt everywhere ...
    True. That’s my basis of not voiding the season and do as much as they can to keep it going for as long as it takes and doing whatever it takes -like cancelling the Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    You can play 9 games over 3 weeks not that big a deal if every club is doing it then no advantage. Maybe if things improve to a point and all agreed 1 game behind closed doors to lessen burden. After the lay off.
    Apart from teams that have bigger squads

Blog Entries
    I voted for option two, mainly to have a dig at Hearts, but I’m certain they will declare the season null and void. The SPFL and SFA will see the financial benefits of keeping Hearts in the Scottish Premiership. Dundee United and Rangers will be up in arms but that’s how the cookie crumbles.

Only the clubs it suits to cancel will go on about cancelling.
    Just not an option. Its ok to start a new season but not ok to finish a nearly finished old season? Senseless.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Apart from teams that have bigger squads
    That is always an advantage. No scenario will be perfect.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I voted for option two, mainly to have a dig at Hearts, but I’m certain they will declare the season null and void. The SPFL and SFA will see the financial benefits of keeping Hearts in the Scottish Premiership. Dundee United and Rangers will be up in arms but that’s how the cookie crumbles.
    Surely in this scenario Rangers will be delighted?

Wait a few weeks then finish the season behind closed doors if necessary

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    And what are players to do over the next few weeks/months? Keep training and hope nobody gets ill? As the virus spreads it's more likely they'll be told to stay at home. If the season were ever to get back under way there's surely no way players will be fully match fit after such a long lay-off.

Left by mutual consent!
    The league should be declared as it stands with Celtic winners and Hearts automatically relegated. Hamilton and Inverness either flip a coin or even contest a stand alone penalty shoot out to decide the other. Dish out the prize money soon to help the clubs get through this.

@hibs.net private member
    If we can get started in July/August again then fine. 2 games a week enables the season to be finished in a month and everybody's in the same boat. Gentlemen's agreement that transfer window doesn't kick in until the season is finished.

Immediate start to next season say in September. Scrap the League Cup and winter break. Midweek games as far as neccessary. UEFA to play ball and reduce the Euro comps down to two legged ties all the way for one season only.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    It will be null and void with the Hearts escaping relegation and Utd being stuck in the Championship another year.

Sucks.
    I guess in that scenario there would be some satisfaction in being able to remind Hearts at every opportunity that they should have gone down.