hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: What would be most acceptable way to conclude this season?

Voters
469. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attempt to restart it at a later date if at all possible.

173 36.89%
  • End it with the league standings as they are now. Scottish Cup may just need to be cancelled.

271 57.78%
  • Declare it null and void.

16 3.41%
  • Other (please suggest).

9 1.92%
Page 34 of 58 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1714
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if we can’t get started till August, you think that we will finish this season first? And not start the new league until October?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well what if it goes further and we cant get started till september/october? You couldnt fit next season in either and would have to run late.
    Whats the difference with this season running late?

2. Log in to remove the advert

So if we can’t get started till August, you think that we will finish this season first? And not start the new league until October?

I think we're both on the same page, there's no chance at all that the 2019/20 season will ever be finished. To do so will mean that there's little chance of a 2020/21 season being finished as per the current format.

My suggestion is that the 2020/21 season format must be flexible to accommodate a late start to the season, which might not be until late Autumn / early Winter. There's no way that we're going to have a 38 game Premiership next season, so alternatives must be found.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    So it hasn't been made then.

I don't really think it's impossible. Plenty of leagues are going to finish. Plenty of them with less resources than ours.
    I think Ozy’s right - they’ve made the decision that the season won’t be finished. What’s not been decided is if this season is null and void or if they call it as it stands.

They’re probably checking contracts (BT and Sky) and talking to the clubs to get an agreement. If it wasn’t all about 9 in a row the decision would’ve been made by now.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    If it wasn’t all about 9 in a row the decision would’ve been made by now.
    Indeed, Global Crisis or not, Scottish Football only cares about two clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Well what if it goes further and we cant get started till september/october? You couldnt fit next season in either and would have to run late.
    Whats the difference with this season running late?
    Clubs get no money in until next season gets started. There is very little money left in finishing this season.
    Next seasons TV deal is double what this seasons was and that’s already spent anyway. The clubs will do nothing to jeopardise that TV deal. They want next season to be completed in full so that they receive the full amount.
    Why risk having to cut short next season just to finish this one? Disrupt two seasons instead of one? It just won’t happen.
    This season is finished. No other games will be played. The Scottish Cup May get finished in Autumn but that is it.
    I’m 100% sure that we won’t play any more league games for this season.
    I’m not sure of how they declare the league, whether it’s null and void or as it is now. I’m 90% sure it will be as it is now.
    Whether Hearts get relegated depends on if they are stupid enough to go for re-construction. I’m only 50% sure they won’t do that.

People are seriously deluding themselves if they think the current season will be completed. Absolutely zero chance. Too many complications.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    People are seriously deluding themselves if they think the current season will be completed. Absolutely zero chance. Too many complications.
    Totally agree. Though the longer it goes on the less confident I am of there being any relegation. Which is infuriating!

I actually wouldn't mind if they decided to resume this season at some point in the future, and played the remaining eight games.

But ONLY if they enforced a strict ruling whereby a team could only field players if they were in the squad for the current season, i.e. no new signings allowed.

If they declare Celtic champions they need to relegate Hearts or sporting integrity comes in to it. Can't say crowning Celtic champions is fair then say relegating Hearts isn't.

Voiding wouldn't work for me. 80% of the season completed and too much monetary, emotional and physical effort has been put into it to say it doesn't count.

The SPFL/SFA or whoever shouldn't be deciding it. It should go to a vote to all the member clubs with the majority winning.

Why restructure the leagues? Overcomplicate something that is simple. Mind you wouldn't surprise me.
    Last edited by Since452; 02-04-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Indeed, Global Crisis or not, Scottish Football only cares about two clubs.
    Has always been so and will always remain so. And let's face it they are the only clubs people from outside Scotland know about.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Maths says that Celtc near certain to win title if season is restarted, Hearts likely to go down, and Hibs likely to stay in top 6.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52054235

Season looks less and less likely to restart with each passing day, so RELEGATE HEARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    If they declare Celtic champions they need to relegate Hearts or sporting integrity comes in to it. Can't say crowning Celtic champions is fair then say relegating Hearts isn't.

Voiding wouldn't work for me. 80% of the season completed and too much monetary, emotional and physical effort has been put into it to say it doesn't count.

The SPFL/SFA or whoever shouldn't be deciding it. It should go to a vote to all the member clubs with the majority winning.

Why restructure the leagues? Overcomplicate something that is simple. Mind you wouldn't surprise me.
    Because it's highly likely that a late start to the 2020/21 season will mean it's impossible to play a 38 game Premiership. With each week of delay that likelihood increases. Like it or not, it could be September or even later before restrictions are lifted. Whatever the 2020/21 season format, it needs to be flexible to allow for a late start and possibly a second wave of the virus.

Things can get back to the norm by season 2021/22, but I think season 2020/21 is likely to be disrupted as much as the current season.

If they null and void it It’ll scunner alot of people away from football.
    Not an option imo.

Left by mutual consent!
    Interesting:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52133983

Table (including promotion and relegation) to be determined by a 'best playing record formula'.

Sounds logical enough to me.

@hibs.net private member
    Belgium league has accepted final standings. Relegation issue not yet decided.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    No relegation apparently.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    And they only had one game to play. Smart decision.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    No relegation apparently.
    Boo. Not according to the article I have read. Still to be decided but hinted relegation will apply.

So with continuing the season looking unlikely are the two most likely options in terms of relegation/promotion- Hearts down Utd up OR no relegation Utd and ICT up (14 team top league next year)? Null and void sounding more unlikely

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    So with continuing the season looking unlikely are the two most likely options in terms of relegation/promotion- Hearts down Utd up OR no relegation Utd and ICT up (14 team top league next year)? Null and void sounding more unlikely
    I think null and void will be the least likely option to go ahead.

I can see them trying to force through the two up, no relegation option but I think that will be the hardest to get over the line.

Celtic winning the league and Hearts relegated is the least bad option.

If we could just relegate Hearts that would be the best option.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Boo. Not according to the article I have read. Still to be decided but hinted relegation will apply.
    Yeah its unclear actually. Think the guy I posted the tweet of might be doing some guessing.

Think it's more complicated there as the 1st division promotion play off is already one leg in. So they don't know if they can complete that in time. So wouldn't know what team to promote.

Complicated league system when looking into it!

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    And they only had one game to play. Smart decision.

11 to play.league splits after 30 games

I know football is not essential but if people like myself are still going to work 40 hours a week through public transport then I'm sure footballers could at least finish this season behind closed doors, do a lot of testing, players travelling alone etc.

Shortening the following season will still leave clubs missing a huge chunk of their income. As clubs are putting season tickets on sale then it's fair to say next season won't be shortened. Plus of course the TV companies will want 4 bigotfests a season.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Let's just have a sudden death playoff, two games, Celtic-Rangers for the title, Hearts-Dundee Utd for the relegation/promotion/as you were,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post

The rugby geezers put five options to all clubs and null & void topped the voting... Not popular with two teams that had already won their divisions.
    Obviously, it would need to be a top secret ballot for the mad world of Scottish football and there would probably still be legal challenges from the likes of Hearts if they didn’t like the result.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Because it's highly likely that a late start to the 2020/21 season will mean it's impossible to play a 38 game Premiership. With each week of delay that likelihood increases. Like it or not, it could be September or even later before restrictions are lifted. Whatever the 2020/21 season format, it needs to be flexible to allow for a late start and possibly a second wave of the virus.

Things can get back to the norm by season 2021/22, but I think season 2020/21 is likely to be disrupted as much as the current season.
    I'd solve that with the simple fix of starting season 20/21 later and splitting after two rounds of fixtures. 22+10 = 32 games, a loss of three home games for each club but much easier to fit it for one year.

Then back to the current system, or introduce reconstruction after thinking about it properly.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    All the chat recently has been about the league.

Is it a given that there just won’t be a Scottish Cup this year?

Transfer window due to open in June.

There is talk they may extend it open till January - not sure that’s the best idea.

I have a feeling we will find out in next few weeks about Scottish league outcomes.

Possibly the clubs voting ? Though that could open a can of worms.

I think we are waiting to see what England does - pretty sure we did similar when we decided to stop playing.

Any clubs threatening legal action should get punished for bringing the game into disrepute.