hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar

Edinburgh Stag Weekend

Fellow Hibees!

I'm attempting to organise a stag weekend here in Edinburgh in May (falls on Scottish Cup final day annoyingly!)

I'm an Edinburgh native but I've never really seen it as being a great location for stag parties in terms of available activities, most stuff tends to happen a few miles out and as per the stag's instructions I'd like to keep it fairly simple but still have a bit of a laugh.

I reckon the group will be between 10-15 people in our late 20's and early 30's.

Intial plan is some kind of activity in the morning (indoor paintball on Leith Walk maybe), food and beers in the afternoon then out for dinner and a night out somewhere in town.

My question is, what are your experiences of stag weekends in Edinburgh and what sort of stuff did you get up to? Just looking for a bit of inspiration!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by portyhibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fellow Hibees!

I'm attempting to organise a stag weekend here in Edinburgh in May (falls on Scottish Cup final day annoyingly!)

I'm an Edinburgh native but I've never really seen it as being a great location for stag parties in terms of available activities, most stuff tends to happen a few miles out and as per the stag's instructions I'd like to keep it fairly simple but still have a bit of a laugh.

I reckon the group will be between 10-15 people in our late 20's and early 30's.

Intial plan is some kind of activity in the morning (indoor paintball on Leith Walk maybe), food and beers in the afternoon then out for dinner and a night out somewhere in town.

My question is, what are your experiences of stag weekends in Edinburgh and what sort of stuff did you get up to? Just looking for a bit of inspiration!
    My own stag night was in Edinburgh, we got pished, went for a curry and that was that. But it was a long time ago and I am a man of simple tastes

Anyway, that useless info aside, why not have it in Glasgow with drinks near Hampden? Just in case you need to nip away for a couple of hours.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Fellow Hibees!

Urban Axe throwing at Summerhall is a good laugh.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I guess it depends on preferences but there should be plenty options.

Pitch and putt at bruntsfield links, Go-karting, escape rooms, football golf (I think it's called that), paintball, laserquest, cocktail masterclasses, gin tasting, or just do some pub crawls.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Urban Axe throwing at Summerhall is a good laugh.
    Had a work night out there and it was brilliant.

https://blackaxethrowing.com/

You've also got the brewery on the same site for a tour and beer tasting after.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Can’t go wrong with somewhere like Fazenda for a meal

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    Axe throwing isn't something I'd considered - definitely one I'll have a look at!

Fellow Hibees!

Might be worth booking yourself an area in a bar somewhere to ensure you can all get in and at least be together for some of the night

Somewhere like Vodka Revolutions would let you book an area downstairs where you could have a meal and then drift seamlessly into the more fun stuff

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Fellow Hibees!

Fire me a PM mate. I run a new bar in the city centre and could help you out with this.

Don’t want to be as killjoy but I find Edinburgh to be a bit of a nightmare city to have this sort of thing. It might just be me, the company I keep and the places I want to go but I’ve had loads of nights out skewered. Bouncers are very picky about groups of lads, they’re wary of certain haircuts, certain dress senses and any bevvy having been consumed.
    You need to play it clever, only try to get anywhere in pairs or 3’s at the most and try to appear sober (who wants to appear sober on a stag?)
    The daytime should be fine, it’ll go to pieces in the evening with folk not getting into places but it’ll all come together later at Fingers Piano Bar as that’s the only place that’ll let anyone in.

And no, I am not Derek Riordan.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Don’t want to be as killjoy but I find Edinburgh to be a bit of a nightmare city to have this sort of thing. It might just be me, the company I keep and the places I want to go but I’ve had loads of nights out skewered. Bouncers are very picky about groups of lads, they’re wary of certain haircuts, certain dress senses and any bevvy having been consumed.
    You need to play it clever, only try to get anywhere in pairs or 3’s at the most and try to appear sober (who wants to appear sober on a stag?)
    The daytime should be fine, it’ll go to pieces in the evening with folk not getting into places but it’ll all come together later at Fingers Piano Bar as that’s the only place that’ll let anyone in.

And no, I am not Derek Riordan.
    I was saying the same thing to a pal at the weekend, I've been all over the UK, Europe and some major US cities and the only place I've ever found ******** bouncers is Edinburgh who seem hell bent on coming up with random reasons not to let you in

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    I was going to to echo the same. Book a place at night or be met with the usual, no the night pal, sorry lads youve had too much to drink etc.

I hate Edinburgh bouncers, once was refused entry to spoons at Omni around 5:30 after a Hibs game. No colours on, had no drink at all , was on my own and all he wmsaid was 'sorry, not tonight' and got pretty aggressive when I asked for what reason. I was actually meeting new work mates and didn't have any of their numbersq, just arranged to all meet there. Went to the inside door to see if I could see them to get their attention (bouncer didn't even glance at that door as I took a step inside to get a better look) and bouncer 1 from the outside door literally charged through the pub and dragged me out. That's just one of a number of experiences with them.