hibs.net Messageboard

Leeds v Munich 1975 European Cup Final

Do any of the older Hibs.netters remember this game?

The reason I ask is that Mundial magazine sent an email out as they’ve created a T-shirt with a photo from the game (very hipsterish but smart!) with the email they sent this description of the match

“Leeds had finished 9th, and Bayern 10th, in their respective domestic leagues. Both, though, had excelled in Europe, with Leeds dispatching Barcelona in the semifinals. What took place in the Parc des Princes, on 28th May 1975, though, was not a fine display of footballing excellence, but utter chaos.

Two minutes into the game, Terry Yorath puts a tackle in on Björn Andersson which is… well, it’s awful. Andersson is stretchered off, injuries covered by a blanket for what we’re assuming was the crowd’s benefit. Bayern’s Uli Hoeneß described it as the “most brutal foul I think I have ever seen.” Hoeneß himself was later injured by Frank Gray—an injury that would subsequently bring a very premature end to Hoeneß’ career.

Peter Lorimer puts Leeds ahead with a technically perfect volley in the first half, only for it to be disallowed after Franz Beckenbauer appeals to the referee. Beckenbauer argues that Billy Bremner had been offside when the ball was struck. Neither the referee nor the linesman had noticed, and, looking at the footage now, Bremner isn’t interfering in the play—it’s a harsh call.

Minutes later, Bayern score on the counterattack, and it’s kicking off. The match continues in this way, variations on a theme of dodgy decisions; Leeds are denied a blatantly obvious penalty for a foul by Beckenbauer, and Bayern go on to win 2–0, the killing blow coming from the great Gerd Müller. The whole match is on YouTube, with German commentary, und es ist sehr schön.

Leeds feel cheated. Riots follow, and the club is banned from European competitions for four years (reduced to two on appeal due to Leeds’s failure to qualify for Europe in the following seasons). The disorder was so excessive that UEFA considered binning off the European Cup entirely.“

That sounds like some game! Exuberance indeed

2. Log in to remove the advert

I don’t think the game was shown live on the TV back then, which would be unusual as an English team was involved. I have no recollection of even seeing the goals from the match so I’m not sure if a highlights programme was shown
    I’m sure it would have stuck in my memory as back in the day there were very few live games shown on tv ( Scottish, Fa Cup Finals and Scotland v England was about it )
    Youngsters don’t know how lucky they are if they want a football fix now

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    I have a memory of seeing it live on the TV. Leeds fans rioting and all that. Or at least a next day delayed transmission/highlights programme.

Seeing live football on council telly was a rare beast in the 70s.

I don't recall watching the game but remember the fallout from it. Leeds were dirty dirty in those days

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    I was in England and have vague memories of it being shown, but also of being sent to bed during it - so maybe it was highlights later on.

Game was live on tv.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanforlife View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Game was live on tv.
    Definitely was.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    In reply to the OP, Mundial earlier turned me on to a book inspired by the game.
    “One Northern Soul” is a collection of short stories (I suppose more than a novel) by JR Endeacott centring around one young fellas life events at the time. It’s not a long read, but it’s an emotive one. If you can find it and have an interest in the culture and environment of the period from then to Thatcher then I’d strongly recommend it. The front cover features a great shot of Leeds disallowed goal and a despairing Sepp Maier from behind the net

@hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Topographic Hibby View Post
    I have a memory of seeing it live on the TV. Leeds fans rioting and all that. Or at least a next day delayed transmission/highlights programme.

Yep, it was def on TV.
    Live games were a rarity long before SKY/BSB came along, but I remember watching this game in black and white.
    I seem to remember Leeds fans throwing seats over the fences at the riot police.

GGTTH

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Topographic Hibby View Post

You are right, I distinctly remember watching it live. It was such a game it stuck in your memory.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I watched it on TV at my grandparents with my dad and a few assorted relatives. The only live games on TV then were Scotland v England, the Scottish Cup final and the the European Cup final.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    I watched it on TV at my grandparents with my dad and a few assorted relatives. The only live games on TV then were Scotland v England, the Scottish Cup final and the the European Cup final.
    I can clearly remember where I watched the England v Scotland game in 1975. Arthur Duncan played at Wembley that day. Without checking I think the FA cup final was West Ham v Fulham when Alan Devonshire scored a double, I remember that as well
    But absolutely no memory from the European Final and it would have been played within a week or two from the other games. It would have been played on a Wednesday night. Possibly late kick off and I was tucked up in bed

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    I think World Cup games were also recall 74 and 78 being live

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    I don’t think the game was shown live on the TV back then, which would be unusual as an English team was involved. I have no recollection of even seeing the goals from the match so I’m not sure if a highlights programme was shown
    I’m sure it would have stuck in my memory as back in the day there were very few live games shown on tv ( Scottish, Fa Cup Finals and Scotland v England was about it )
    Youngsters don’t know how lucky they are if they want a football fix now
    It was live on TV. I was 10 at the time and liked watching Leeds due to their large Scottish contingent. Disappointing they lost to the Germans - even although I have zero allegiance to that club now.