hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that sounds right. The last Hibs goal in front of the old East was scored by Colin Nish.
    It was a Stokesy penalty in that game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    A packed East and a young Eddie May coming on to score the winner with a diving header against Celtic to win a Scottish Cup Quarter Final 4-3 and a random old guy grabbing the young Billyhibs and shouting “ Eddie May a star is born!” and the Celtic casuals couldnae take a beating fair and square came on the pitch looking for a pagger at the full time whistle

Halcyon days

Let’s hope for more tomorrow night

Great game that one, absolutely crazy ending. That was the same season that we drew 4-4 and then beat them on pens in the Skol (League) Cup. Brilliant exuberance at the end of both as Hibbies piled on to the pitch to celebrate.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col L View Post
    It was a Stokesy penalty in that game.
    1-1 at home versus St Johnstone 27/2/10 IIRC

Some great memories, thanks for sharing. Was at a good few of the ones mentioned. It was a fabulous place for atmosphere. Wasn't too keen on having to stand on the seat to see what was happening down at the corners though 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Some great memories, thanks for sharing. Was at a good few of the ones mentioned. It was a fabulous place for atmosphere. Wasn't too keen on having to stand on the seat to see what was happening down at the corners though 😂
    I was V114 and just stood on the seat in front of me every week for 90 minutes.

Couldn’t tell you my seat number now. I only go to it for big games, just go to the empty spaces at either end of the East stand depending on which way Hibs are shooting most weeks these days.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Anderlecht when the attendance given was 24000 but felt like at least another 10000 in. 79 SC 1/4 final v hearts, beating them 2-1 and watching them all fight amongst themselves. George Best ER debut v Partick. Best scoring V celtic and the Hibbies singing his name. Ally McCoist scoring a screamer for St Johnstone in a LC group game. Souness game, 1st derby after the takeover bid poisonous atmosphere but really showed how much Hibs meant to so many. Celtic CS gas game, 4-4 penalty kick win and 4-3 SC win in the same season against celtic. Beating Der Hun in LC semi 2-0. Bonny Ginsburg game v huns where we beat them 2-0. Being there when Aberdeen won the league. Gordon Rae testimonial v Man U. My first ever ST was for the old east. These are just quickly off the top of my head. Many happy memories and a lot of unhappy, cold wet ones too. Thankfully confined to history now as we progress as a club

AEK was special.

I remember a Hearts team-mate having a quiet word in Stefano Salvatore's ear to explain what the "Salvatore's wife's a w****" chant was all about and then he had a funny wee smirk at us.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    A cantilever roof needs very, very solid foundations for the main columns. Kenny Waugh's rood was built on the old terracing which was a heap of landfill. A cantilever roof would have required mega-deep pile foundations which would have been ridiculously expensive.

I was sad to see the omd massive terracing being reduced in height, but give Kenny Waugh his due, he covered the fans at a period when cash was extremely tight.

There were no complaints from me about finally having a roof, just a bit surprised that it needed so many pillars.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I went to a lot of games when we still had the massive East terracing, which then got chopped in half a few years before the roof got put on. I was glad that some cover had been provided but I still can't believe Kenny Waugh went for the cheapest possible option which entailed having those massive pillars holding the roof up.

Remember the Fairs Cup gane v Liverpool during the miners strike?. Floodlights killed at half time to save fuel because we had borrowed the generator from the Northern because it was a scheduled power cut night and at the top of the East upper you could not see a thing it was so dar up there and there were vampires!

@hibs.net private member
    The only time in my life I managed to start a song.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    The 3-2 Boruc game was very memorable in the East.

Other thing that springs to mind are the toilets. Literally pissing against a wall.

My earlier derby memory in the east was lavety and Harper game winning 2-1. Great memory

First Team Breakthrough
    I have many memories of the old east from late 80s through to the early 2000s but the one that always sticks out was a game against Dundee Utd, probably about 1990/91. It was still terracing and the crowd was probably less than 10,000, so it wasn't very densely filled.

We were 2-0 down in the 2nd half and going nowhere when suddenly Gareth Evans acored two very similar goals on the break in the space of about 4 minutes. We were still bouncing about celebrating the equaliser, not really watching the game properly, when Keithy popped up with a header to make it 3-2. Absolute bedlam, and my brother and I both got knocked flat in the celebrations. My brother was only about 10 or 11 but absolutely loving it.

Not a particularly significant fixture, and not a big crowd, but the closest I have come to an injury in a football ground. Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I thought it was longer but that'll be right enough. I recall a rendition of a few old songs from over the years on the last game, along with "fairwell to the terracing".

Place hasn't been the same without it for me.

Pretty sure just about every old song in the book got sung that day..

Oh 2 be a hibee, he's here Mickey Weir, Joe Joe Super Joe everybody, Booked for being Ugly, Cheer up Jimmy Jeffries, Who Ate all the pies.. some really good songs that day

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    My earlier derby memory in the east was lavety and Harper game winning 2-1. Great memory
    Hearts thought they still had a chance of winning the League that day but we knew we were probably going to go down but hey........
    It would be rude not to ...😁

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    I have many memories of the old east from late 80s through to the early 2000s but the one that always sticks out was a game against Dundee Utd, probably about 1990/91. It was still terracing and the crowd was probably less than 10,000, so it wasn't very densely filled.

We were 2-0 down in the 2nd half and going nowhere when suddenly Gareth Evans acored two very similar goals on the break in the space of about 4 minutes. We were still bouncing about celebrating the equaliser, not really watching the game properly, when Keithy popped up with a header to make it 3-2. Absolute bedlam, and my brother and I both got knocked flat in the celebrations. My brother was only about 10 or 11 but absolutely loving it.

Not a particularly significant fixture, and not a big crowd, but the closest I have come to an injury in a football ground. Happy days.
    This was going to bevone of mine too. Hogmanay a few weeks after the LC win against Dunfermline. Evans coming on was half the solution. Jim McLean taking Duncan Ferguson off at 0 -2 because he thought the game was won was incredibly significant.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

6-2, AEK both tremendous, loved it when it was a covered terrace, always a great atmosphere, with some sways. i remember sunbathing on the old massive terrace shortly before it was knocked down. could walk round from the cow shed to the east at half time too.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Gravity fed bogs. Slapping the lintel on the way out. David Duff and Jim Gray mixing with fans on the terracing when played Hamilton. I thought that they would take us to a new level.....

Big sway against the fencing the Souness game as it all kicked off

The surge of the crowd and the anticipation when the Juke Box got the ball

The Hearts Cup game when Big Jonesy scored

(Sky Sports recorded yams 24% possession )

CS gas Celtic game

Mickey Stewart rocket versus the Sheep

Eddie May winner versus the Hearts last game I attended with my dear old dad

(4/1/1989 27200 crammed into ER that day)

Harper and ONeill goals versus the Hearts on Neer Day

Showing my age but Big Dode Stewart and Gogs Rae goals versus Hearts in the Scottish Cup QF

Davey Beaumont not halfing Wayne Foster when he had the chance

Lavety and Harper to bring high flying Hearts back down to earth

Andy Goram telling Houchey to take the pen versus Liege Oh dear!

Gordon Chisholms debut goal versus the Hun in the League Cup Semi

James Collins winner versus Hearts

Joe Harper’s winner versus Liverpool in the soaking rain

Hibs versus AEK Athens the very first SOL

Hibs versus Anderlecht Sporting Lisbon Leeds United Juventus Rosenberg Malmo ( the first time) Hamburg Lokomotiv Leeds and Liverpool again

Almost every home game from 68 including all of The Tornadoes home games and most of the aways

All brilliant memories witnessed from the East

( apart from CS gas obviously)
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 28-02-2020 at 04:55 AM.

Testimonial Due
    The 3-1 win against the yams when Sauzee lost a tooth when scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Today marks the 10th anniversary since the last match was played in from you the old East Stand. What merories of the old East do people's still have?

For me it was where my old man took me to my first game. Sure it was a draw with Motherwell with Leighton saving a pen.

Also remember the big guy that used to sing his Hibees Lullaby. What happened to him? Is he still around?
    First game was against Coventry round 1981... I think a round robin tournament, I can't remember the score but my dad took me and I loved seeing the old East terrace opposite with it's sprawling embankment. I just knew that the East was the place for me after that... Said a million times before but loved the foot stomping shouts of 'Hibees' in the wing stand too! Hated being in Hibs kids at the other wing stand even though i was a Hibs kid at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Big sway against the fencing the Souness game as it all kicked off

The surge of the crowd and the anticipation when the Juke Box got the ball

The Hearts Cup game when Big Jonesy scored

(Sky Sports recorded yams 24% possession )

CS gas Celtic game

Mickey Stewart rocket versus the Sheep

Eddie May winner versus the Hearts last game I attended with my dear old dad

(4/1/1989 27200 crammed into ER that day)

Harper and ONeill goals versus the Hearts on Neer Day

Showing my age but Big Dode Stewart and Gogs Rae goals versus Hearts in the Scottish Cup QF

Davey Beaumont not halfing Wayne Foster when he had the chance

Lavety and Harper to bring high flying Hearts back down to earth

Andy Goram telling Houchey to take the pen versus Liege Oh dear!

Gordon Chisholms debut goal versus the Hun in the League Cup Semi

James Collins winner versus Hearts

Joe Harper’s winner versus Liverpool in the soaking rain

Hibs versus AEK Athens the very first SOL

Hibs versus Anderlecht Sporting Lisbon Leeds United Juventus Rosenberg Malmo ( the first time) Hamburg Lokomotiv Leeds and Liverpool again

Almost every home game from 68 including all of The Tornadoes home games and most of the aways

All brilliant memories witnessed from the East

( apart from CS gas obviously)
    Your memory is off, Collins never scored a winner Vs Hearts

Motherwell at home, 1985-86 season. Didnae go to many games with my dad back then, but did that day. At 0-0, a few guys in front of us were moaning at John Collins, asking why a wee laddie was on the pitch? My dad (never one to pass up the opportunity for an argument) said to them, "What's wrong with ye, dae yaise no' like fitba players or somethin'??". Went on to win 4-0, JC scored the 4th with a raker, got MotM and whole east terracing were singing, "One Johnny Collins". The group in front of us had long since moved on 😁

Ended up at the dugs at Powderhall with the auld man later that night (me that is, no' JC). Great day oot!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    My first ever derby! My old man lost his **** when Harper scored and accidentally whacked me across the head in the bedlam. I had tears in my eyes. Not because of my sore head but because of being completely in awe of my heros in green and white.

Remember that game like it was yesterday.

Loved the atmosphere in the East when it was the proper old east, open terracing, then also when it got the roof, great when it was packed but, only drawback you couldn't outrun the beer farts, nowhere to hide. The Souness game was one of the best.

To this day have still never smelled an atmosphere like the Scottish game anywhere in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Your memory is off, Collins never scored a winner Vs Hearts
    First in a 2-1 win Craig penalty won it for us

Getting a bit too misty eyed methinks

A couple of personal ones.

- fulfilling a long held ambition and calling Roy Keane a **** from a safe distance when he swung by on his retirement tour

- losing the plot in a big way after a last minute og by - I think - our current boss from an Ian Murray cross gave us a late, late 2-1 win

- the game vs Rangers just after George Best had died. We absolutely murdered them, 1st half especially. One of Kevin Thomson's finest games for us.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Matty Jack game v Dundee United, and Didier agathe debut spring to mind, most games under mobray were pretty enjoyable in there too

Took my first girlfriend to the derby where O'Connor scored in the last minute. Embarrassed myself by taking my top off and twirling it around my head at the goal. Relationship ended not long after 😂 Remember leaving down the steps of the east stand and everyone singing "10 men, we only need 10 men".

@hibs.net private member
    The pierce O’Leary penalty game when we knocked Celtic out of the cup....East was superb that night