hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The pierce O’Leary penalty game when we knocked Celtic out of the cup....East was superb that night
    I was in the old North enclosure that night. It was well over capacity and at times I had real difficulty breathing in the crush.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by wearehibernian View Post
    First game was against Coventry round 1981... I think a round robin tournament, I can't remember the score but my dad took me and I loved seeing the old East terrace opposite with it's sprawling embankment. I just knew that the East was the place for me after that... Said a million times before but loved the foot stomping shouts of 'Hibees' in the wing stand too! Hated being in Hibs kids at the other wing stand even though i was a Hibs kid at the time.
    That was 1979 - the Skol Festival Trophy, with Hibs, Man City and Coventry. You are even older than you think :) That is one of my earliest memories on the East, but the first game I truly remember was beating the Jambos 2-1 in the Scottish Cup quarters earlier that same year. Total riot in the Dunbar End - they didn't like it up em!!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col L View Post
    That was 1979 - the Skol Festival Trophy, with Hibs, Man City and Coventry. You are even older than you think :) That is one of my earliest memories on the East, but the first game I truly remember was beating the Jambos 2-1 in the Scottish Cup quarters earlier that same year. Total riot in the Dunbar End - they didn't like it up em!!
    It was my first match.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    It was my first match.
    The cup QF was my first match. I don't actually remember much about the game except I think we had a goal disallowed and I thought it was 3-1 for ages afterwards. I do distinctly remember asking my dad why the Hearts fans were fighting each other. He didn't know. I still don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    First in a 2-1 win Craig penalty won it for us

Getting a bit too misty eyed methinks
    You also must have been light years ahead of your time to witness most away games from 1968 onwards from the old East

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Col L View Post
    It was a Stokesy penalty in that game.
    I was certain it was Nish, but I've looked it up and you're right.

Wasn't in the East all that often, had a ST in the Cowshed, FF, then the West Upper once it was built. Some memorable games I was in the East for:
    • 2-1 win over Hearts 1998 Harper & Lavety with 2 beauties!
    • 1-1 draw with Hearts 2003 Deeks 30-yard screamer
    • 2-2 draw with Anderlecht I was actually ball boy situated pretty central in the East

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Never had a season ticket in the old East but was in there a load of times. One of my earliest Hibs memories was the play off against Airdrie in 1997 and it sticks in my mind for the sole reason their goalie never had a number on his top for some reason, I’d have been 6.

I can also mind being in the East and pumping Dunfermline 5-1 around the time of the AEK game.

Riordan chipping Neil Alexander from 20 yards was probably the best goal I seen from there.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Me and a mate did some work on the old main stand as the old east terrace was cropped and the East "Stand" went up. Everybody on the job were Hibs fans and there was more than a few tears shed as Shaws Heights was flattened. Like everyone I grew to love "the East" and had a right good laugh in there. Shaws Heights were brilliant though, as Billy Connolly said, standing up there was the best view of a football match available in Scottish Football.

Remember both Chic Charnley and Pat McGinley scoring from the half way line. Could very well have been in the same season
    Last edited by Since452; 28-02-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shamo9
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    First in a 2-1 win Craig penalty won it for us

Getting a bit too misty eyed methinks

2014. Old East was long gone by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Remember both Chick Charnley and Pat McGinley scoring from the half way line. Could very well have been in the same season
    Charnley v Alloa and McGinlay v Killie. Might even have been consecutive home games!

Edit: checked and yes they were! The glory of the Duff Jimmy years.
    Last edited by JeMeSouviens; 28-02-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Charnley v Alloa and McGinlay v Killie. Might even have been consecutive home games!
    That's right. There was no footage of the Charnley one if I remember rightly as the cameras weren't there!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    You also must have been light years ahead of your time to witness most away games from 1968 onwards from the old East
    Naw it was called The Carlton Branch

Quote Originally Posted by shamo9 View Post
    2014. Old East was long gone by then.
    👍🏾

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

Edit: checked and yes they were! The glory of the Duff Jimmy months.
    Fixed that

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    This thread just reminds me that I've still to find a joiner who can create a couple of stools on which I can affix the East Stand seats I bought when they were being sold off - anyone managed to find someone who can do this?

My memories include having to stand up and crane your neck to the left, leaning forward, anytime Hibs were attacking up the slope and the ball was in the blind spot at the corner flag. A small thing but emblematic of the east for me.

Also remember being a wee boy in the cow shed watching the bunnets and plumes of smoke rising up during the games. Makes it all seem so old fashioned.

The sauzee teeth header, the Agathe Dundee game stick out too.

But the funniest was catching the ball one time it went out for a throw. Sure it was Hibs vs Raith that day. Pat McGinley, in anticipation of a quick attacking throw, yelled at me “Geez the baw you wee ****!”. I was about 10.

Anyways... the east was an absolute toilet and I never actually liked it anyways haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakim Sar View Post
    My memories include having to stand up and crane your neck to the left, leaning forward, anytime Hibs were attacking up the slope and the ball was in the blind spot at the corner flag. A small thing but emblematic of the east for me.

Also remember being a wee boy in the cow shed watching the bunnets and plumes of smoke rising up during the games. Makes it all seem so old fashioned.

But the funniest was catching the ball one time it went out for a throw. Sure it was Hibs vs Raith that day. Pat McGinley, in anticipation of a quick attacking throw, yelled at me “Geez the baw you wee ****!”. I was about 10.

Anyways... the east was an absolute toilet and I never actually liked it anyways haha.
    Ha Ha!

Reminded me 1969 we were playing fitba at Holyrood Park our Head Coach said he would take all the hibbies in his car roond to ER as the gates opened 1620

Hibs v Partick Thistle we are all standing North East corner flag ball comes to me ah grabs it Johnny Hamilton comes across long black hair bright red coupon puts his arms oot ah chucks the baw back at him he places the baw beside the corner flag turns to me with a wee smile oan his face and says “ Ahm f#@king knackered!”
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 28-02-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    A couple of personal ones.

- fulfilling a long held ambition and calling Roy Keane a **** from a safe distance when he swung by on his retirement tour

- losing the plot in a big way after a last minute og by - I think - our current boss from an Ian Murray cross gave us a late, late 2-1 win

- the game vs Rangers just after George Best had died. We absolutely murdered them, 1st half especially. One of Kevin Thomson's finest games for us.
    That game against Rangers was the best I’ve ever seen us play. Ferguson got sent off I think.
    Personally in the East, Athens, 6-2 or randomly 3-3 I think it was against Rangers when Boozy played sweeper and Kev McCann scored a peach. 7-0 in midweek against Livi was great too.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakim Sar View Post

The east was brilliant. Had my season ticket there from 00 until it got knocked down. Maybe it was the group at my bit was amazing.