hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

10 years since the last game in front of old East Stand

Today marks the 10th anniversary since the last match was played in from you the old East Stand. What merories of the old East do people's still have?

For me it was where my old man took me to my first game. Sure it was a draw with Motherwell with Leighton saving a pen.

Also remember the big guy that used to sing his Hibees Lullaby. What happened to him? Is he still around?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Today marks the 10th anniversary since the last match was played in from you the old East Stand. What merories of the old East do people's still have?

For me it was where my old man took me to my first game. Sure it was a draw with Motherwell with Leighton saving a pen.

Also remember the big guy that used to sing his Hibees Lullaby. What happened to him? Is he still around?

Got some great memories of the old East. My first memories were of the old East Terrace, but my favourite memory after the roof went on was the 'Souness Game'. 27,000 packed into Easter Road, a frenzied atmosphere and a game to match. Beating them 2-1 and Souness rightly getting a red card for his brutal, cowardly assault on McCluskey made it one of these games you just never forget. The 6-2 game was pretty special in there too!

Left by mutual consent!
    I see our last game in front of the East Stand was a 1-1 draw with St Johnstone scoring a late equaliser, some things never change

When Paco Luna missed his last minute header v AEK, I kicked the concrete post of the seat in front and had a memorably sore toe afterwards.

I thought it was longer but that'll be right enough. I recall a rendition of a few old songs from over the years on the last game, along with "fairwell to the terracing".

Place hasn't been the same without it for me.

My first ever game was in there, can’t fully remember against who, but it was in the First Division and Stevie Crawford scored...

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col L View Post
    Got some great memories of the old East. My first memories were of the old East Terrace, but my favourite memory after the roof went on was the 'Souness Game'. 27,000 packed into Easter Road, a frenzied atmosphere and a game to match. Beating them 2-1 and Souness rightly getting a red card for his brutal, cowardly assault on McCluskey made it one of these games you just never forget. The 6-2 game was pretty special in there too!
    Souness game is one of my favourites. I was on the East that day and bid for a press photo of the fight in the middle of the pitch at the time because I thought one of my mate's had been captured in the photo but we were just out of shot when it arrived

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent!
    First game at easter road 4-4 vs Dundee....

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AlienDoidge9
    AEK Athens I was just a wee nipper I’m sure I didn’t even have a seat and neither did many next to me it was defo beyond capacity what a atmosphere that was at 5 years old

First Team Breakthrough
    One of the funniest for me was when we all stated singing to Stevie Fulton booked for being ugly chant, literally everyone in unison

The rugby ball being thrown on during the derby was also really funny

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    A packed East and a young Eddie May coming on to score the winner with a diving header against Celtic to win a Scottish Cup Quarter Final 4-3 and a random old guy grabbing the young Billyhibs and shouting “ Eddie May a star is born!” and the Celtic casuals couldnae take a beating fair and square came on the pitch looking for a pagger at the full time whistle

Halcyon days

Let’s hope for more tomorrow night

My first game was the Scottish Cup derby vs them in 1979 (2-1 to the good guys!), away up on Shaw's Heights. I wonder if the new East Stand or the old terracing would be higher?

The "You're not unbeatable" derby. Having missed the AEK game due to being laid up with a dislocated knee, that is my favourite all time Easter Road atmosphere.

The old boy up the back already mentioned

The boy who was about comatose after necking his special bottle of absinthe and cannabis seeds and was carried out by a mate of mine in the polis during the 2-1 Killen heider from a Whittaker cross to win it against Rangers game.

Spending years and years in there forging the amazing friendships I still have with my mates today.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ABZHFC View Post
    I see our last game in front of the East Stand was a 1-1 draw with St Johnstone scoring a late equaliser, some things never change
    Yeah, that sounds right. The last Hibs goal in front of the old East was scored by Colin Nish.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post

the opera singer, loved that guy, not sure where he is now but i loved the old east, it had character.

the 6-2 game was one i will never forget in the east, the atmosphere was electric

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    First and only time I sat in the old east was the 81% Edinburgh derby. Rob Jones scored the only goal of the game and we went on to win the cup. What an atmosphere and absolute utter bedlam when he scored to put us one up!

1-0 completely flattered them that night as it should have been a cricket score. Craig Gordon had an unbelievable game for them.

My dad would never take me to the old east as a kid lol but one time we did for the first game back in the premiership under big eck vs Motherwell 2-2 it finished with Lehmann getting a brace.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    One of my favourite memories of the old East was Garry O scoring the winner in the 10 man Derby the place went absolutely mental. Superb.

I really miss the old East.

A big bit of my Hibs supporting experience died the day it was pulled down.

I was there

Never got a seat, though.

Come to think of it, I was at the the very first game after they finally put a roof over the East Terrace, in 1985(?).

Shows how times have changed because I remember thinking how fantastic it was that the Hibs 'end' was finally covered.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 27-02-2020 at 02:17 PM.

I binned off a date last minute with my now wife because was it not announced relatively last minute that it would be the last game for the stand? I cringe a little bit thinking about it now tbh, I was very nearly dumped

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    I binned off a date last minute with my now wife because was it not announced relatively last minute that it would be the last game for the stand? I cringe a little bit thinking about it now tbh, I was very nearly dumped
    Should have took her with you 😉

Left by mutual consent!
    I went to a lot of games when we still had the massive East terracing, which then got chopped in half a few years before the roof got put on. I was glad that some cover had been provided but I still can't believe Kenny Waugh went for the cheapest possible option which entailed having those massive pillars holding the roof up.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I went to a lot of games when we still had the massive East terracing, which then got chopped in half a few years before the roof got put on. I was glad that some cover had been provided but I still can't believe Kenny Waugh went for the cheapest possible option which entailed having those massive pillars holding the roof up.

Nine pillars, at a time when other clubs were installing cantilever roofs.

The guy selling maccaroon bars and chewing gum. The programme hut at the top of the stairs.

Game wise, it was the souness rammy, the 6-2 derby and getting beat 2-1 by Dundee United in 1986.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Nine pillars, at a time when other clubs were installing cantilever roofs.
    A cantilever roof needs very, very solid foundations for the main columns. Kenny Waugh's rood was built on the old terracing which was a heap of landfill. A cantilever roof would have required mega-deep pile foundations which would have been ridiculously expensive.

I was sad to see the omd massive terracing being reduced in height, but give Kenny Waugh his due, he covered the fans at a period when cash was extremely tight.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Amazing times , atmosphere wise , needs replicated at some part of the ground with singing section and standing , the old east stand was bouncing

The Souness game and Anderlecht were the highlights for me. I was late for the kick off at the Souness game, could only just get in the end section under the roof by the corner and got in just in time to see him sent off.

Anderlecht was a mental atmosphere under the TV gantry.

so many good memories!
    I remember during the mobray years.my sisters and i moved from the west stand to the old east,In the west we sat beside a guy whom wore specks,whom never spoke to us.When we moved over to the eat guess whom was there?

another memory from around that time was in a game where our keeper makalamby (sp) was looking a lil nervous and was taking it easy when he turns to the east and told us to calm us down which got a cheer!

i recall once there seemed to be a couple of houses (or flats) were on fire and somehow people started singing *the house is on fire the house is on fire* to whatever tune it was ( dont recall!)

like a few posters above when i was waaay younger my dad took me to the east and every game he would see someone he knew and i always thought it was amazing . like he knew soooo many people !