hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its not a straight forward thing to do . If they sold bevvy to the fans at say Hibs v Ross County i doubt there would be many issues . If they did it at a derby or old firm game , or us V the huns its gonna be utter carnage
    It really wouldn’t.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Selling alcohol will help us to achieve our environmental targets by discouraging people from taking their cars to games. I love Hibs holistic approach to climate change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It really wouldn’t.
    Having seen the absolute state some turn up to the big games in, I think it would.

First Team Breakthrough hibby67's Avatar
    surely it's more than just bringing back drink with Big Ron's vision of a better match day experience if we had a bar in each of the West/East and FF put on some food and some entertainment (a comedian say) or show replays of some classic Hibs matches it would get us in the mood for the game which would help the atmosphere and bring in extra revenue to the club to enhance the 1st team which would then get more people to attend which would then bring in extra revenue and so on ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It really wouldn’t.
    All of the trouble we have at games is at games with these clubs. Whenever they are evening games (with ample opportunity for more bevvying) the problems are worse. When we have our singalongahun Friday night parties at Easter Road it is worse still.

We do not need to be chucking any more alcohol into that particular mix. Whilst it might not exactly be our idea of "carnage", if we're trying to attract new fans along to Easter Road who might disapprove of sectarian singing, chucking glass bottles onto the pitch or fans running on to the park to confront players, we'd maybe better not chuck more bevvy into the mix.

The vast majority of our games (and the behaviour of our fans) would not be affected in a negative way by alcohol being sold in grounds.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The problem with Scotland's drinking culture isn't so much with the drinking itself but the antisocial behaviour it can lead to as well as the health impact of overindulging.

Changing, rather than curbing, is what it is all about.

I'm probably going to drink before and after the game on Friday for the first time this season and tbh I'm really quite looking forward to it.

As regards drinking at the football, encouraging folk to drink responsibly in a ground is surely every bit as sensible as forcing them to cram as much down their necks as possible prior to games?

I'm comfortable with the idea of Hibs profiting from folk having a couple of pints once a fortnight.

It's interesting to see how it is done on the continent. Wee pop up bars around the grounds in Germany are great (when the sun is shining) and it would be magic to think Hibs could do something similar, a bit like that tent that they did in the past.

A barbecue selling stuff like burgers and hot dogs along with a bottle bar could be brilliant, and shouldn't be beyond us being able to organise.
    Agree with all of that. Just need the sun to shine a bit more often. Summer football anyone?

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Stick pop-up beer gardens outside the stands for non old-firm matches and allow people to leave the stadium and re-enter through the turnstiles at half time. Would get around the current restrictions and open open up a new revenue stream for us.

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    Just to add to what some are saying against certain games. People that turn up totally plastered will do so, so they will either spend money at the club bar if we start to sell beer, or they spend it in a Leith pub. Either way, people are going to drink pre-match.

If it another revenue stream, then why not? ( with the obvious staff implications, some people that can't behave would need to be dealt with/removed from premises etc)

I usually go to the Edinburgh City Club bar to have a pre match pint, so if I could do this at Hibs, I would.

Oh and how much money does the Murrayfield hotel make from Hibs fans before an away Derby?
    Last edited by mutley; 27-02-2020 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Typos

@hibs.net private member
    There’s more turnover and profit in selling food rather than booze - as any modern pub refurb shows.

The real goal will be getting people to have pie/chips/burger/artisan bacon roll/wood fired pizza with a couple of pints at the ground. That could be £100k extra turnover per game.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Drinking at the football is allowed now to all intents and purposes. I could currently go to the stadium a couple of hours before the game, enter the stadium, buy multiple alcoholic drinks, leave the stadium then enter the stadium again by a turnstile located 10 yards from the door I have just exited and that's apparently fine. The current laws are a nonsense.

Let's be honest people who can't handle a drink and behave like bams do so even with the current legislation in place. There are, off the top of my head, about 10-15 pubs within a 10 minute walk of ER. Add to that people drink at home, drink on trains, drink on buses etc etc. People who act like total dicks are a tiny minority and we should be challenging them rather than penalising the hundreds and thousands of people who can enjoy a couple of pints and behave properly. Are that majority going to start behaving like raging lunatics because they can have a pint in the concourse before a game? Is Hibs v St Mirren on a Tuesday night suddenly going to become like an Istanbul derby?

Personally I could take or leave a pint at the game. I go to the Iona if I have a beer before the game at the moment and the lure of a pint of Carling at ER probably wouldn't change that. It should be an option for those that want it though.

Great summary & you haven't even mentioned the most ludicrous part. I'm a senior citizen who can go to Murrayfield on a Friday night & actually drink a beer while watching a rugby game. The next day en route to ER I suddenly turn into a geriatric hooligan who can't be trusted with a beer inside the ground! Yet another piece of nonsense down to the uglies!

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    I think the answer is to make the pints extortionate, so that no one is going to have more than a couple during the game.
    If they are 7 quid each i think that would put people off having more than 1 or 2, whilst giving folk the option of having the mythical 'pint at the game' experience. Also, if the catering is brought in house, then this would mean bigger profit margins for the club 👍

If alcohol was sold in the crowd you’d eliminate any glass bottles being thrown which has been our big issue with crowd trouble. You will never stop people having a drink in the ground so may as well make some money from it. This would definitely fit with RG planning on increasing all of our revenue

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    All of the trouble we have at games is at games with these clubs. Whenever they are evening games (with ample opportunity for more bevvying) the problems are worse. When we have our singalongahun Friday night parties at Easter Road it is worse still.

We do not need to be chucking any more alcohol into that particular mix. Whilst it might not exactly be our idea of "carnage", if we're trying to attract new fans along to Easter Road who might disapprove of sectarian singing, chucking glass bottles onto the pitch or fans running on to the park to confront players, we'd maybe better not chuck more bevvy into the mix.

The vast majority of our games (and the behaviour of our fans) would not be affected in a negative way by alcohol being sold in grounds.
    That’s not really what happens when alcohol is sold at grounds though.

Folk that want to get bevvied up will do so somewhere.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I regularly enjoy a couple of pints and have never got into trouble or a fight afterwards. Ever.

I think I would manage just fine if I bought them them at ER.

Why do so many of you assume that I, and others like me, will suddenly turn into neds?

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    On the odd occasion when I'm not driving home after a game I prefer to drink in the pubs because of the crack and I get to drink the beer I prefer to drink.
    I am with you on this, I like the atmosphere of a pub and don't like drinking crap beer out of plastic glasses in the freezing cold. So I wouldn't imbibe, but I can see some folks who would and would remain congenial however there would be the odd one or two who wouldn't! And one or two nutters is too many, especially if they sit beside you!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Its not a straight forward thing to do . If they sold bevvy to the fans at say Hibs v Ross County i doubt there would be many issues . If they did it at a derby or old firm game , or us V the huns its gonna be utter carnage
    Why would there be utter carnage by selling pretty weak lager at the ground?

People drink up until kick off anyway, this would be a way of controlling what people are drinking though. Its not a full bar people are suggesting is brought in.

By having the option of a lager only bar you are taking away the option of drinking stronger things like Vodka, JD, shots etc...,,,,

It’s a complete no brainer imo and all the arguments against it don’t stand up to any scrutiny at all.

@hibs.net private member
    As far as I remember, alcohol was never generally on sale to the vast majority of fans in the ground. Drinking at matches was commonplace because fans were allowed to bring it in with them. I can still recall the days of wading through piles of cans and bottles on the way out of the old east terracing after every match. I don't believe anyone wants a return to that.

As long as it is suitably controlled, and bringing your own booze is still prohibited and strictly enforced, I don't see any problem with selling beer at matches to those who would probably have gone to a nearby pub anyway.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Selling alcohol will help us to achieve our environmental targets by discouraging people from taking their cars to games. I love Hibs holistic approach to climate change.

Brilliant 😂

Quote Originally Posted by mutley View Post
    I'm guessing they don't mean during the game.

We have the BTG bar, and we tried the Beer Tent in the East when the refurb was going on, and I quite liked that. The amount of wasted space under the East could easily accommodate something like that, and if it closed at the same time as BTG then what's the issue?

When I go down to the concourse at half-time you can hardly move, so I'm not sure where all the space is.

Unless you meant building another floor above the concourse?

Left by mutual consent!
    Selling alcohol in the stadium could be our answer to the new singing section.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post

Sorry, but could you explain what you mean?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Sorry, but could you explain what you mean?
    It would perhaps create more atmosphere around the stadium.

I’ve changed my mind. We need to keep alcohol out of football.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport...aniel-stendel/

@hibs.net private member
    Would fancy it except for Cat A games.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Who are we going to boot out to accommodate our new “minging section”?

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    You won't be drinking on the terracing. If and it's a big if it ever comes in you'll be drinking on the concourse where the kiosks already are.
    So having a pint to watch the game won't actual happen.
    So if that is before the game, that's not a whole lot different from BTG, and if it is at half-time, we are looking for fans to shift a pint in 10 minutes or so. That maybe doesn't match all the messages about health and well-being? I guess that this one has pros and cons.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Would it though? The same idiots who are already bevvied before the games and do stupid things currently may continue to do so, but that is a small minority. I doubt people who actually know how to behave at football games are suddenly gonna go ape **** just cause they could have a couple during the game instead of before.

They could start by doing it in the upper tiers of the west and FF where there is no pitch access. See how it works out.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Would fancy it except for Cat A games.
    Why?

What do you think will happen in category A games on the back of people drinking relatively low alcohol lager in a concourse behind a stand?

Do you think not selling it will restrict how much people drink or do you not just think they will drink elsewhere first?

Do you think people are likely to try and sneak stronger bevy in if there is an option to buy a beer before the game in the ground and at half time?

So many questions 😉

I’m not meaning to sound like a dick about it btw, for the life of me though I can’t see any good reason not to sell beer at football grounds, the idea that people will get drunker because of it and cause more trouble is ridiculous imo.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Why?

What do you think will happen in category A games on the back of people drinking relatively low alcohol lager in a concourse behind a stand?

Do you think not selling it will restrict how much people drink or do you not just think they will drink elsewhere first?

Do you think people are likely to try and sneak stronger bevy in if there is an option to buy a beer before the game in the ground and at half time?

So many questions 😉

I’m not meaning to sound like a dick about it btw, for the life of me though I can’t see any good reason not to sell beer at football grounds, the idea that people will get drunker because of it and cause more trouble is ridiculous imo.
    You're absolutely right. Let's remember the trouble we've had at ER in the recent past has happened without alcohol being available for sale in the ground. It was more to do with the idiots with alcohol rather than the alcohol itself.