hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

1. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    The quotes from Ron on the BBC website are a master class in talking up the value of our players without shooting his mouth off.

He knows what he’s doing.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A bit harsh.
    Maybe, but you know what I mean. Given Covid and his aspirations being interrupted I'm sure he feels he's just getting started himself.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Heard him say as much on the radio. Him and Pressley laying into Hearts and the way they've been mismanaged in recent years with the main culprit, Levein, sitting there chipping in. Peak Sportsound again.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    They have a thread over on oneleagueback about Ron's comments about possibility of selling players in the summer and in particular Doig and why Levein let him go. There was a wee comment from one of them that said "Our 38 year old goalie is worth more than their entire squad". So that got me thinking what are the current squads like back to back, who's is worth more. Now I know using a site like Transfermkt is pretty arbitrary but it is a good place to compare squad against squad.

Hearts current squad includes 27 players, the average age is 28.4, there are 13 non UK players in the squad and the total value is £8.69m
    Their highest value players are Kingsley and Souter at £900k (both injured atm)

Hibs current squad includes 24 players, the average age is 27.4, there are 10 non UK players in the squad and the total value is £13.07m
    Our highest value players are Boyle and Nisbet at £1.35m each (I have excluded Jackson Irvine's value of £2.25m as he maybe worth that but not on the contract we have him on at the moment)

So we have a higher value squad with 3 less players, our top two players are worth the same as 31% of their total squad value, our squad is younger, hungrier, one league above and we have more internationals playing for us...but Gordon is worth more than our whole squad.

Anyway, shows you what happens if my boss leaves me with no work to do on a Thursday afternoon!!

Edit, our average age is effected from having Craig Samson listed as a player this season, take him out we average 26.5
    Last edited by Oscar T Grouch; 08-04-2021 at 02:42 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Modern day fitba has to attract new fans, if that means digital boards and advertising and the so called razzmatazz of disco lights then fine by me.
    All seems positive to me, positivity breeds positivity.
    Cant say I have ever been so looking forward to the future of Hibs than now, "ready for take off".
    I'm not sure about disco lights and crashy bang music.

Why not something like an organ player slowly rises to the surface of the pitch and encourages a jolly good singalong. Like in the old movie theatres (pictures) Max Bygraves would be good surely.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    The quotes from Ron on the BBC website are a master class in talking up the value of our players without shooting his mouth off.

He knows what he’s doing.
    It’s amazing the contrast between the clubs right now.

A constant negative flow from Hearts with nothing but positivity from Hibs.

RG really is impressive every time he speaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Maybe, but you know what I mean. Given Covid and his aspirations being interrupted I'm sure he feels he's just getting started himself.

Yeah fair enough, but navigating this club through this crisis in such a calm way is a real achievement.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Would completely ignore anything Tom English has to say. He was another who thought Craig Whyte was the saviour of Rangers whose wealth was off the radar. Bound to get one right.

Everything sounds promising with Ron but like someone said above we should alway maintain scrutiny to ensure the best interests of the club.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Off the radar wealth was a different phanny. Jackson of the Record, who also witnessed assing kickings one day in May about 5 years back.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MixerAlizz
    Quote Originally Posted by Man Down Under View Post
    I think some people don't realise a video ribbon and big TV isn't just for flashy lights and sounds, it will create revenue.

The best teams and stadiums in the world constantly improve their technology, we have to keep up if investors and advertisers want to take us seriously. Seems the majority get this though.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk
    Exactly and it will also look class aswell. Imagine easter road with a big screen.

Tom English - “Ron Gordon should be at the heart of running Scottish football”.

Gushing with praise for the man. Must have fallen out with Anne

He honestly said that?

Ron is coming from the US where every aspect of their sports and entertainment is hugely monetised. No stone is left unturned in the search for pennies to add to the coffers and flip into bigger amounts of money again.

Time will tell if a lot of these ideas can be translated well enough into not just football but UK/Scottish consumer culture as well. But I think it's safe to assume that whatever Ron plans to implement at Hibs it will have been meticulously researched and thought out and is not being done for a laugh and as a show off stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    I'm not sure about disco lights and crashy bang music.

Why not something like an organ player slowly rises to the surface of the pitch and encourages a jolly good singalong. Like in the old movie theatres (pictures) Max Bygraves would be good surely.
    I remember talking to this old boy who was a Fulham fan. He used to say that it wasn't the same since they put the PA in and stopped having an opera singer on the pitch before the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    He honestly said that?

He’s jumped ship.

Turned on Anne and needs a new pal in Edinburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    He honestly said that?

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/sportsound-podcast-07-apr-20-fans-back-at-hampden-for/id129625085?i=100051617868

They start talking to Ron on 19 mins with English from around 25. It’s a good listen.

David Duff said Hibs could sign Maradonna!
    We could sign Maradona now and would still score more than Rowan Vine.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/sportsound-podcast-07-apr-20-fans-back-at-hampden-for/id129625085?i=100051617868

They start talking to Ron on 19 mins with English from around 25. It’s a good listen.
    English was ripping into us last summer when jobs were being cut, players were on wage deferrals and we were then signing new players. He was questioning the morals of the club. He also had a dig at Leeann when she was leading a task force and spoke on behalf of all the clubs about needing government support. He twisted that as Leeann begging for cash for Hibs. The man has zero integrity after his Budge cheerleading last summer.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    English was ripping into us last summer when jobs were being cut, players were on wage deferrals and we were then signing new players. He was questioning the morals of the club. He also had a dig at Leeann when she was leading a task force and spoke on behalf of all the clubs about needing government support. He twisted that as Leeann begging for cash for Hibs. The man has zero integrity after his Budge cheerleading last summer.
    Spot on.

Maybe he had a problem with Leeann?

Maybe he just doesn’t know what he’s talking about!

He remarked on the fact that Ron ducked the opportunity to have a sly dig at Hearts. Asked if he welcomed Hearts returning to the Premiership next season, Ron said ‘of course’ ... he’s not going to give the likes of English a gift.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Agree 100% tam.

Even last night he said he wanted to hear more from Ron because "we simply haven't heard enough from him".

There was no praise, and there will never be any praise. He has nailed his colours to the hearts mast.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Agree 100% tam.

Even last night he said he wanted to hear more from Ron because "we simply haven't heard enough from him".

There was no praise, and there will never be any praise. He has nailed his colours to the hearts mast.

Felt like he was desperately looking for a negative but couldn’t find one... just implied criticism that Ron somehow isn’t doing enough for Scottish football.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Wait til English hears we might have £2m insurance cash coming to us 🤭🤭

He will argue it should be given to Hearts without delay.

"How dare Hibs make a claim on a perfectly valid insurance policy that they have no doubt been paying into for many years. Ron Gordon should think about throwing that cash to the lower leagues if he really cared."

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Heard him say as much on the radio. Him and Pressley laying into Hearts and the way they've been mismanaged in recent years with the main culprit, Levein, sitting there chipping in. Peak Sportsound again.

Very telling how levein bemoans the poor quality and lack of leaders when they were mostly from his time in charge. Funny how they think yet another clearout will sort it. It’s those running the club who’ve cocked up. In fairness to biscuits Preston he has been saying how crap they are for months and warning something must be done. The irony is both Pressley and levein were saying how well we are being run and how strong our bench is while berating the quality at the pbs. For once calling it as it is.