hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Good interview helped by good questions.

2. Log in to remove the advert

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Very exciting ideas and plans going forward.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Suspect it’s this (don’t know what a sash has to do with the AFL)

https://youtu.be/VRStR0ipm_o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A couple of AFL Clubs have "sashes" across the Guernseys :-)

To be able to enthuse a passionate dedicated fan base such as the hibernian support,he is going to need good hibs folk in and around his team charged with achieving this goal.

A new audio system and some fancy tech lights will not bring your season ticket numbers up to 16/17,000.

As for wages being increased to allow for a better playing staff,that's still based on the ability of the people tasked with finding talent being good at identifying such talent.

The beer in the stadium thing is not his call,and is just another way to pander to a sizeable proportion of the support who would clearly enjoy a pint at the game.
    Whilst the audio system will be welcome,it's clearly something we have needed for a while,as a minimum approach to communicating to the supporters on match day.

The bit about "revenue streams" really gets me thinking we could be talking about seating price grading based on location of your seat.meaning higher pricing for some.now I'm speculating of course.but not sure this would sit well with many.

As for advertising and sponsorship,its all just if! If! If!nothing concrete announced last night.no structured 5 year plan in the video I watched.
    I would love to be enlightened on his plan,but I feel the stuff I heard is all speculating to accumulate,no solid framework in there.
    He could have set the tone by siding with the supporters who are actively trying to create a better atmosphere inside the ground.by announcing something similar to the aberdeen owner, and giving the fans a standing singing section with banners and flags provided.fill in one corner even, exclusively for this,ending seating feuds about switching season ticket holders who have held there seat for ages.

I'm sceptical about what direction we are heading,hope I am proved wrong on all fronts swiftly,and will post when I am wrong in my chain of thoughts.
    I honestly thought we would have some encouraging announcements,solid news like a new kit sponsor or shirt sponsor,a stadium blue print.
    Instead we got some pipedreams in a small 10 minute video roughly of things we already knew.and just in time for season ticket renewal?

Nah I'm not convinced here.or enthused.
    Feels like the owner is still spitballing ideas.
    Last edited by tonyrougier123; 27-02-2020 at 04:12 AM.

Here's an idea fill in a corner,fill it with the 1875 boys. banners, drums, flags whole show.
    Stick the telly above them so all of the stadium looks in that direction automatically,including the opposition players and they will see a sea of green and white bouncing every time they check their lineup or subs or minutes passed in the game.
    I mean how much would it cost to put in a standing section?surely worth it?? You want to make easter road unique not generic and full of advertising l.e.d pish boards!
    Last edited by tonyrougier123; 27-02-2020 at 04:28 AM.

Never thought I'd see the day our board were targeting 16/17k season ticket holders and doubling the turnover and budget. Sue Perb.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    To be able to enthuse a passionate dedicated fan base such as the hibernian support,he is going to need good hibs folk in and around his team charged with achieving this goal.

A new audio system and some fancy tech lights will not bring your season ticket numbers up to 16/17,000.

As for wages being increased to allow for a better playing staff,that's still based on the ability of the people tasked with finding talent being good at identifying such talent.

The beer in the stadium thing is not his call,and is just another way to pander to a sizeable proportion of the support who would clearly enjoy a pint at the game.
    Whilst the audio system will be welcome,it's clearly something we have needed for a while,as a minimum approach to communicating to the supporters on match day.

The bit about "revenue streams" really gets me thinking we could be talking about seating price grading based on location of your seat.meaning higher pricing for some.now I'm speculating of course.but not sure this would sit well with many.

As for advertising and sponsorship,its all just if! If! If!nothing concrete announced last night.no structured 5 year plan in the video I watched.
    I would love to be enlightened on his plan,but I feel the stuff I heard is all speculating to accumulate,no solid framework in there.
    He could have set the tone by siding with the supporters who are actively trying to create a better atmosphere inside the ground.by announcing something similar to the aberdeen owner, and giving the fans a standing singing section with banners and flags provided.fill in one corner even, exclusively for this,ending seating feuds about switching season ticket holders who have held there seat for ages.

I'm sceptical about what direction we are heading,hope I am proved wrong on all fronts swiftly,and will post when I am wrong in my chain of thoughts.
    I honestly thought we would have some encouraging announcements,solid news like a new kit sponsor or shirt sponsor,a stadium blue print.
    Instead we got some pipedreams in a small 10 minute video roughly of things we already knew.and just in time for season ticket renewal?

I assume that this is one of these “whoosh” posts that I have trouble understanding or is it a serious one?

If it’s the latter then I’m presuming that you’ve absolutely no understanding whatsoever of how to create a vision, underpin it with credible action points and what the goals will be once executed?

The bit about "revenue streams" really gets me thinking we could be talking about seating price grading based on location of your seat.meaning higher pricing for some.now I'm speculating of course.but not sure this would sit well with many..
    That’s exactly what they’re going to do, there’s no speculating required. They said so last night.

I always refer back to the thread that talked about the redevelopment of the East Stand and some of the posts about “why are we spending money to increase the capacity to 21k when we can hardly get 12k here”

Well guess what, someone in the Board had ambition and executed a plan. By improving the stadium and capacity it’s given the club a significant material income stream, grown the profile of the club and we topped 14k ST sales this season.

We could’ve kept the old east stand and *****ed the money on 3-4 players, not been any better off and had a debt repayment plan which would cripple us.

Folk are missing a key points in the strategy around the football side, a smaller squad with ‘better’ players, a pathway for academy players, full sized indoor training centre.. the playing side is at the front and centre. Let’s not gloss over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    That’s exactly what they’re going to do, there’s no speculating required. They said so last night.
    Correct and that has to be well thought out and landed brilliantly and there’s going to be a lot of fans in the same seats that are going to baulk at what I think will be a fairly big price increase to their ST

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Do you not realise that he's obviously taking a(n) holistic approach to the whole set up? If he's going to achieve his goals it''ll take a lot more than finding the right place for the singing section. Each individual idea/initiative has to be integral to the long term plan.

When are kit or shirt sponsors ever announced in February?

As for a stadium blueprint - any meaningful study will take more than 6-7 months to prepare. I'd rather have news of each element when the details, programme and planning are known, otherwise we'll end up looking as stupid as our daftie neighbours.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    There is absolutely no doubt that Scottish society can learn loads from North America in terms of putting on a show and customer service and experience. Get that right and people will want to return over and over again. Interview was good and liked Ron's passion and ambition. Kenny Millar also very good interviewer. It has always irked me also for example in Edinburgh you have some of the largest financial institutions in the world and as far as I know none invest anything in the biggest and best sport in the country. Good vision very well communicated.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Probably closer to 20% bigger than Edinburgh. Sheffield is also surrounded by clubs with decent support including Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham not to mention Leeds United and Huddersfield.

There are a number of Rugby League teams in the area.

Hibs and Hearts are certainly underperforming in terms of attendance. There is plenty of scope for improvement.
    The population of Edinburgh is 531000.

Sheffield is 725000. That's over 36% bigger, isn't it?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

Not sure where you get your population stats from?

The population of Sheffield is 570,000.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Not sure where you get your population stats from?

The population of Sheffield is 570,000.
    https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/2...eld/population

That site has Edinburgh as 537k.

I’m all for cheap kids/family season tickets, they are our future fan base after all. I would keep the pricing the place but drop it to category B games and house them in the south stand. If they want to attend one of the ugly sister or Hearts games they can have that option before a general sale.

They’ve already said that we’ll see the stadium improvements take place in the summer. Bringing catering in-house automatically increases revenue (cost as well obviously).

They are the two things I picked out of it all that will happen relatively quickly and where we can get some quick wins.

It won’t happen overnight but there is nothing not to be positive about in what he said. Nothing is guaranteed but just having that ambition and drive at the club will make a huge difference.

You’re right in that no one thing will get us 4,000 extra season ticket holders per season, however it’s a goal that he’s looking to achieve over the next 5 years.

Since he’s came in he has:

Wiped our debt - 500k p/a
    Injected 1.25 million to the club to see at they please
    Raised our overall wage and overspent in the January window as the right opportunity arose
    We put in bids of McGinn, Miller and Nisbet. All of which is pretty unheard of for us
    Made us the greenest club in Scotland - Big opportunity for more revenue

Near future;
    Doing up ER - Screen, audio system, lighting, Digital ribbon and a general clean/do up - More revenue opportunity
    Bringing Kiosks inhouse - Increasing revenue
    bigger player budget

That will all likely be inplace within a year of him being in charge. What’s not to be enthusiastic about?

The money ideas etc may sound random to us our plucked out of thin air. But I highly doubt someone like Gordon has said 5 investors at 200k each with no sort of idea who they may be and if it’s possible.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

I just got my stats from Wikipedia and presumed they were true - dangerous I know - but Sheffield was 582k compared to Edinburgh's 518k

Are people honestly getting so excited about a big screen and Digital Ribbon (i.e. loads of wee screens)?

Call me old fashioned, but I just want a decent team to watch on the pitch, maybe winning trophies occasionally.

Hotdogs, though... THAT I can get excited about!

🌭

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I just got my stats from Wikipedia and presumed they were true - dangerous I know - but Sheffield was 582k compared to Edinburgh's 518k

Yours is right, Calumn.

The 700k+ quoted for Sheffield is not the city on its own, it's the 'greater urban area'.

Edinburgh has roughly 700k, using that definition.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Are people honestly getting so excited about a big screen and Digital Ribbon (i.e. loads of wee screens)?

Call me old fashioned, but I just want a decent team to watch on the pitch, maybe winning trophies occasionally.

Hotdogs, though... THAT I can get excited about!

🌭
    It won’t be for everybody. But I can guarantee that a lot of folk - especially younger generations - will find the match day experience improves quite a bit with things just being brought into the 21st century a bit more - screens showing highlights before the game and at half time, interviews with the players, quizzes, facts about Hibs etc on it, music pumping out the new sound system. All wee things on their own but if you ever go to an American sporting event you’ll see that things like this can really add to the occasion.

Hopefully the “kiosks” will all be cashless as well - would speed things up massively and be much more convenient.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 27-02-2020 at 08:42 AM.

Those population stats are bullxxxx.

Belfast for one is not a city of more than 600000. And Manchester (not Greater Manchester) is the size of Edinburgh. Stats eh!

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Yours is right, Calumn.

The 700k+ quoted for Sheffield is not the city on its own, it's the 'greater urban area'.

Edinburgh has roughly 700k, using that definition.
    We do often forget that football clubs are not defined by the city they are in or named after.

In England the population is massive - more than 10 times what we have and only twice as many league clubs as Scotland - and much of it is in places outside of specific cities so the draw for certain teams is from a much larger and more populated area than just the city (taking in greater urban area, county etc etc).

Enthusing a passionate dedicated fanbase isn't really the aim - if you're an enthusiastic dedicated fan you'll attend matches whether or not there are all the bells and whistles being discussed, you presumably wouldn't stop going because of them.

To increase attendances we need to attract people who aren't passionate and dedicated and the best way of doing that is to make the matchday experience a bit special - the wow factor. These plans look like a good way of achieving that even if they're not entirely to the tastes of the current fanbase.

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar

Exactly, Tony. No mention of buying a Bank? Or shipping in busloads of players we've never heard of? Colour me disappointed.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Big Ron did himself a load of favours last night and has irrefutably already put his money where his mouth is.

If I was Big Ron and Kenny M now, I'd keep control of the narrative by setting up a running commentary of comms to supporters on the implementation progress of the plan.

Phase 1 - Deadline 55th Decanuary: new pies (achieved), jumbotron (install date.....), x % increase in playing budget for summer (Now in place) etc etc etc
    Phase 2 - Deadline ......

and make a whole load of marketing noise about we're now in Phase whatever of the grand design to let supporters beyond the AGM buy in big time.

This is comms gold for them. I hope they're already all over it.

Then when we miss a target, it should be 'Thank you to the wonderful supporters who have showed their faith in our vision by taking us to 14,000 STs, Our highest ever!

Translation 'You bunch of miserable low skilled skint *****. We're going after the prawn sandwich brigade now, You're no use to us, earn more money in future, peasants!.'

As was said earlier in the thread. 'Mon the Ron'.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Big Ron did himself a load of favours last night and has irrefutably already put his money where his mouth is.

If I was Big Ron and Kenny M now, I'd keep control of the narrative by setting up a running commentary of comms to supporters on the implementation progress of the plan.

Phase 1 - Deadline 55th Decanuary: new pies (achieved), jumbotron (install date.....), x % increase in playing budget for summer (Now in place) etc etc etc
    Phase 2 - Deadline ......

and make a whole load of marketing noise about we're now in Phase whatever of the grand design to let supporters beyond the AGM buy in big time.

This is comms gold for them. I hope they're already all over it.

Then when we miss a target, it should be 'Thank you to the wonderful supporters who have showed their faith in our vision by taking us to 14,000 STs, Our highest ever!

Translation 'You bunch of miserable low skilled skint *****. We're going after the prawn sandwich brigade now, You're no use to us, earn more money in future, peasants!.'

As was said earlier in the thread. 'Mon the Ron'.
    The ‘Mon the Ron Jumbotron has a nice ring to it right enough

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    The ‘Mon the Ron Jumbotron has a nice ring to it right enough
    We advocated screens during Petrie's era too. Could have been the tight-arse titantron.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Lol one of my favourite films, Field of Dreams. I don't t usually attach to much of what is said by owners a lot of the time, but I have to say I was quite impressed with this, and it shows that a lot of thought and consideration has gone into it too. If it all comes to fruition we really will have a stadium and team that most other clubs will be jealous of, and rightly so.
    Agree with you on all your points, especially Field of Dreams, absolutely loved that film. 👍