hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I remember correctly it was Erich who 'fouled' him, with the dive being so pathetic that he actually fell the opposite way from any 'impact'.
    I heard that Erich waited for him outside and offered him a square go.
    Offer was declined

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Pre Tornadoes I remember the old penalty double act of a jinking Eric Stevenson getting pulled down in the box by his man for the penalty to be efficiently dispatched by our very own Penalty King Joe Davis

Worked a treat every time ( until Hamburg home ).

Both sadly gone

RIP
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 23-02-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    My aging memory always thought that John Brownlie was basically the first choice penalty taker during this era, with Jimmy O'Rourke next in line, but in recent discussion, it was suggested this might not be the case.

Anyone of my vintage remember who was the main penalty taker during the period in question?
    You're right Fred. In the vintage 72/73 season when we won the LC & enjoyed a certain 7 0 victory we were only awarded pens in 3 games. 2 in one league game versus Morton & 1 against Airdrie in LC & same team in league. Given we had scored 112 competitive goals at the end of New Years Day 1973 that's quite remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    You're right Fred. In the vintage 72/73 season when we won the LC & enjoyed a certain 7 0 victory we were only awarded pens in 3 games. 2 in one league game versus Morton & 1 against Airdrie in LC & same team in league. Given we had scored 112 competitive goals at the end of New Years Day 1973 that's quite remarkable.
    Jimmy scored four pens that season two versus Morton and two versus Airdrieonians

Alex Cropley also scored a pen versus Patrick Thistle and Johnny Hamilton scored one versus Queens Park

Source:

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 25-02-2020 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    No. It was Benny who saw what was coming and sort of backed off him and held his arms out to show there was no contact. McDonald dived and got the penalty anyway.

From about 40s here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glHjPwhAPdI

It's a pity that Gordon Rae's excellent goal is completely overlooked because of what happened later on.
    McDonald - a player before his time. Just about every single player in the game these days would go down after that sort of minimal contact challenge. And we'd be told "he's entitled to go down".

Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    I heard that Erich waited for him outside and offered him a square go.
    Offer was declined

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

That is pretty much my recollection too.
    Shades tried to go for him on the park and was restrained. Then heard he tried to do him in the tunnel then also tried to board the sticky buns bus outside to get at him.

There was a camera behind the goal which showed how outrageous the dive was. But if memory serves, they chose not to use the most damning angle when discussing the 'incident' (shock).

I also remember a group of 50-100 Embra Orcs (UJ bus) who were in the East terracing up behind the 'singing area' (in front of the TV gantry). When the pen was given it all kicked off and a load of them took a right hammering.

My 1st game was 2/1/71 and Sloop scored a pen in a 2-2 draw wi Cowdenbeath.

Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    Pretty sure Dave ( Rangers are rubbish ) Ewing was still Manager then

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    It’s amazing how time plays trick with your mind. I was positive it was Shades who was involved. In my defence Shades remonstrates with him and the poster was in Shades pub 😂
    I was equally positive - would have bet on it being Shades.
    I've never seen the poster in the pub as far as I recall, so no excuses from me other than my memory is more er……..... what's the word...………….

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    A bit after the Tornadoes era, but the one I'll never forget is this one... I quote:

"On 7 November 1981 Rangers were awarded a penalty in front of the "Cowshed" when John MacDonald conned referee Louis Thow with a dive so outrageous that the "normally placid" Hibs chairman Tom Hart publicly branded him (MacDonald) a cheat. Rangers won the game 2-1 and MacDonald subsequently earned himself the nickname "Polaris". Hart was fined by the SFA for his comments".
    Yup still remember that to this day. Also remember the groans when Louis B Thow's name was read out as ref subsequently - completely hopeless/biased ref.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    Yup still remember that to this day. Also remember the groans when Louis B Thow's name was read out as ref subsequently - completely hopeless/biased ref.
    Bobby Davidson was also bad news for the green jerseys

I also remember Sloop telling the lineo what to do with his orange flag at Ibrox when Tommy McLean was about fifty yards offside

Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    I remember that game . We`d drawn at Tynecastle only 24 hours before . For some reason the " Blue Brasil " ( when did that name start ? ) were wearing all red . We were 0v2 down at ht then fought back for draw . I remember Sloop scoring only goal against Hearts with a penalty in an East of Scotland Shield match maybe same season . Scored in front of Cave which was split 50 - 50 and led to mayhem . Tiny crowd at Cowdenbeath game , maybe 5000 . Next home game was probably v top of league Aberdeen on Joe Baker`s return when we won 2v1 in front of about 25000 , still one of my favourite Hibs memories .