hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coaching Staff

Tornadoes Penalty Taker

My aging memory always thought that John Brownlie was basically the first choice penalty taker during this era, with Jimmy O'Rourke next in line, but in recent discussion, it was suggested this might not be the case.

Anyone of my vintage remember who was the main penalty taker during the period in question?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I”m getting old but I always thought that Jimmy O’Rourke took the penalty’s

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I”m getting old but I always thought that Jimmy O’Rourke took the penalty’s
    Yes Jimmy took them. When he left Brownlie took over.

Coaching Staff
    Thought it was those two;..just got the order wrong.

Mind you, I don't remember us getting a huge amount of them.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Thought it was those two;..just got the order wrong.

Mind you, I don't remember us getting a huge amount of them.
    Yes can't remember many either. Much easier for blatant old firm ref bias in those days with limited ref coverage.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Jimmy ORourke scored 17 penalties in that period

Celtic and Rangers always seemed to get pens every time they needed one usually in the last five minutes

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Celtic and Rangers always seemed to get pens every time they needed one usually in the last five minutes
    And usually when all players in the other Scottish games were in the bath.

A bit after the Tornadoes era, but the one I'll never forget is this one... I quote:

"On 7 November 1981 Rangers were awarded a penalty in front of the "Cowshed" when John MacDonald conned referee Louis Thow with a dive so outrageous that the "normally placid" Hibs chairman Tom Hart publicly branded him (MacDonald) a cheat. Rangers won the game 2-1 and MacDonald subsequently earned himself the nickname "Polaris". Hart was fined by the SFA for his comments".

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    A bit after the Tornadoes era, but the one I'll never forget is this one... I quote:

"On 7 November 1981 Rangers were awarded a penalty in front of the "Cowshed" when John MacDonald conned referee Louis Thow with a dive so outrageous that the "normally placid" Hibs chairman Tom Hart publicly branded him (MacDonald) a cheat. Rangers won the game 2-1 and MacDonald subsequently earned himself the nickname "Polaris". Hart was fined by the SFA for his comments".
    I was at that game and can honestly say it was the closest I have ever been to running onto the pitch in protest, absolutely livid at the ref and McDonald

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post
    I was at that game and can honestly say it was the closest I have ever been to running onto the pitch in protest, absolutely livid at the ref and McDonald
    If I remember correctly it was Erich who 'fouled' him, with the dive being so pathetic that he actually fell the opposite way from any 'impact'.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    If I remember correctly it was Erich who 'fouled' him, with the dive being so pathetic that he actually fell the opposite way from any 'impact'.
    No. It was Benny who saw what was coming and sort of backed off him and held his arms out to show there was no contact. McDonald dived and got the penalty anyway.

From about 40s here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glHjPwhAPdI

It's a pity that Gordon Rae's excellent goal is completely overlooked because of what happened later on.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 23-02-2020 at 10:23 AM.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    No. It was Benny who saw what was coming and sort of backed off him and held his arms out to show there was no contact. McDonald dived and got the penalty anyway.

From about 40s here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glHjPwhAPdI

It's a pity that Gordon Rae's excellent goal is completely overlooked because of what happened later on.
    That’s a later one. The one mentioned was Erich Schaedler. It was an outrageous dive. Shades had a photo of it on his pub wall which read something like, “ Sport for all, Come dive with me”

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    That’s a later one. The one mentioned was Erich Schaedler. It was an outrageous dive. Shades had a photo of it on his pub wall which read something like, “ Sport for all, Come dive with me”
    It's the same one and the poster was Sport for All - Diving and had a photo of Mcdonald in mid-air underneath. It was a parody of the Sports Council's "sport for all campaign" which had a simple wee logo for each sport.

I was often in Shades on a matchday during that period, even though I was on the youngish side.

Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post
    Yep, I came close to giving up on watching Scottish football after that farce. "What's the point" I was asking myself on the way home afterwards.

Who said "cheats never win"?

Then Ally MacLeod arrived from Southampton who was calmness personified at penalty kicks and set pieces scoring 20 penalties

A cultured intelligent footballer he was deceptive he was slower than he looked

I remember one game versus Dundee he scored direct from a free kick the ref told him to take it again as the wa wisnae ready so he stepped up and calmly placed it into the opposite corner

Genius!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Yes Jimmy took them. When he left Brownlie took over.
    Think Brownlie missed a penalty against Liverpool when we beat them 1-0 at ER in a European tie? It proved pretty crucial as we lost the second leg 3-1 IIRC.

Also in Europe, did we miss a penalty against Leeds (maybe Stanton)?

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Think Brownlie missed a penalty against Liverpool when we beat them 1-0 at ER in a European tie? It proved pretty crucial as we lost the second leg 3-1 IIRC.

Also in Europe, did we miss a penalty against Leeds (maybe Stanton)?
    Turnbull also dropped Stanton for the replay which didnae help and yes Stanton hit the post with his pen meaning we lost the shoot out 4-5 and the Leeds players lost their bet on HIBS to go through allegedly 😁

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Then Ally MacLeod arrived from Southampton who was calmness personified at penalty kicks and set pieces scoring 20 penalties

A cultured intelligent footballer he was deceptive he was slower than he looked

I remember one game versus Dundee he scored direct from a free kick the ref told him to take it again as the wa wisnae ready so he stepped up and calmly placed it into the opposite corner

Genius!
    My first role model, I modelled my waistline on his.

@hibs.net private member

There weren't many windows left in the Rangers supporters buses that night. One of the most blatant examples of Old Firm bias I have seen and was terrifying walking back to Leith Walk among the mayhem as a 13 year old

It's the same one and the poster was Sport for All - Diving and had a photo of Mcdonald in mid-air underneath. It was a parody of the Sports Council's "sport for all campaign" which had a simple wee logo for each sport.

I was often in Shades on a matchday during that period, even though I was on the youngish side.
    McLean incident originally mentioned was during a Scottish cup replay so video put up is from the wrong game.

Coaching Staff

Ah those were the days, I actually went to school with Louis Thow & took great delight in letting him know what a howler of a decision it was when I next met him.

As an aside I always thought Darren Jackson took a superb penalty while at ER.
    Last edited by Lago; 23-02-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanforlife View Post
    McLean incident originally mentioned was during a Scottish cup replay so video put up is from the wrong game.
    I don't know what game you're on about. The quote I responded to was about a match in November 81. The video is of that match in November 81, therefore it's definitely the correct video.

There wouldn't have been any Scottish Cup matches concerning Hibs in November.

My mistake m8,incident during Scottish cup tie involved john McDonald, far worse than video one with mclean,can only blame the stinking hangover 🤣 apologise profusely m8!😁

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar

It’s amazing how time plays trick with your mind. I was positive it was Shades who was involved. In my defence Shades remonstrates with him and the poster was in Shades pub 😂

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    There weren't many windows left in the Rangers supporters buses that night. One of the most blatant examples of Old Firm bias I have seen and was terrifying walking back to Leith Walk among the mayhem as a 13 year old
    The next home game against them was even worse after the match, thank god that club went out of business.

Kano knew how to take a penalty. Dunno what his record was but he fairly smashed them away.
    Last edited by Kato; 23-02-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanforlife View Post
    My mistake m8,incident during Scottish cup tie involved john McDonald, far worse than video one with mclean,can only blame the stinking hangover apologise profusely m8!
    No bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    It’s amazing how time plays trick with your mind. I was positive it was Shades who was involved. In my defence Shades remonstrates with him and the poster was in Shades pub
    Memory is strange.

I can remember Hibs related stuff from the 80s far more accurately than from the 90s onward.

I think Bosman also changed things as teams/players changed far more regularly.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Memory is strange.

I can remember Hibs related stuff from the 80s far more accurately than from the 90s onward.

I think Bosman also changed things as teams/players changed far more regularly.
    I blame the raves in the 90s 😉😃
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    When was the last time we missed consecutive penalties in the league? I can't remember.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    When was the last time we missed consecutive penalties in the league? I can't remember.
    We missed 2 in 1 game versus Hearts in 70s & still won 2 1. Their goal was a pen!