hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s fine if he is playing as a winger, where he can swap with the winger on the other side. Yesterday he was playing as a wing back. Who would he have swapped with, Stevenson? Only other way would have been to change from a shape that has served us well over the last couple of games which I didn’t think was necessary
    You`re right and I do get that but maybe it was worth changing things, the shape wasn`t working yesterday imho.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Why stop at Efe why not be pissed off at every player we have not tried to buy? there must be 1000s.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He scored 1v1 with the goalie, very different from cutting inside and scoring.
    I think you get what I mean and iirc he was 1v1 but coming in from the left. My point is or I should say, my opinion is, things were not working and I would like to have seen Ambrose ( good player that he is) up against genuine pace after over a year out the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    That’s fine if he is playing as a winger, where he can swap with the winger on the other side. Yesterday he was playing as a wing back. Who would he have swapped with, Stevenson? Only other way would have been to change from a shape that has served us well over the last couple of games which I didn’t think was necessary
    The shape didn’t work yesterday. We struggled to break down the 2 banks of 4.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    The shape didn’t work yesterday. We struggled to break down the 2 banks of 4.
    It was working fine up until we lost the goal imo. And then I think we changed it not long after that anyway and then almost immediately changed it back again

I absolutely respect people's opinion on why someone would or wouldn't be a good signing for us but the revisionist crap does my head in.

McGeouch had 'one good season', Efe was 'ok' for half a season. I think it's just people being intentionally contrary as many of the same faces try to put a positive spin on guys who were, frankly, crap for us.

Efe was outstanding for us in his time here. Yes it wasn't great how he left and yes his attitude may not be what we are looking for in a player. Does that mean we have to totally trash the performances he did put in when he was here?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I absolutely respect people's opinion on why someone would or wouldn't be a good signing for us but the revisionist crap does my head in.

McGeouch had 'one good season', Efe was 'ok' for half a season. I think it's just people being intentionally contrary as many of the same faces try to put a positive spin on guys who were, frankly, crap for us.

Efe was outstanding for us in his time here. Yes it wasn't great how he left and yes his attitude may not be what we are looking for in a player. Does that mean we have to totally trash the performances he did put in when he was here?
    Agree played like a man possessed in his last match for us like he knew this would be his last game totally outstanding driving us forward at every opportunity a match we unfortunately lost 0-1

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Great player right of a back 3. Would be an improvement on McGinn. That said I'm not too bothered that he's not with us, left on a negative and we need to look to the future.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    Did he?

I thought he walked out without a club to go to, and later fixed up a deal.

Why did he leave us then?
    If he didn’t leave us in January then he wouldn’t have been going anywhere. He may have signed for Derby at a later date than we would have expected, but he wouldn’t have been able to do that had he stayed.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    If you’re bored of reading about Efe, maybe stop opening threads with his name in the title?
    Ah! Never thought of that.

Many thanks.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Based on his first game in over a year today?
    What difference does it make, he's not at ER end of story.

He also wouldn’t have us keeping clean sheet after clean sheet right now though, nobody seems to have any ‘neutral’ opinions on the situation, it’s all either ‘board are useless, our defence is *****, efe is a god and would solve the lot’ or ‘efe is a bombscare who didn’t care for the club’.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    He also wouldn’t have us keeping clean sheet after clean sheet right now though, nobody seems to have any ‘neutral’ opinions on the situation, it’s all either ‘board are useless, our defence is *****, efe is a god and would solve the lot’ or ‘efe is a bombscare who didn’t care for the club’.

Not sure this is correct.

Lots of fans see his qualities but are angry at him for leaving.

Others like me are more forgiving of footballers making selfish or bad decisions but understand if his attitude is seen as too detrimental to the camp.

Quite liked Ambrose, he was a personality. Thought he was quite good for us but made some whopping mistakes as well. Right now our defence is pretty poor else there wouldn't be a 3 or 4 page thread about a player who was quite happy to leave us. McGeouch did the same and neither of them have done anything of note since. Whether the two players would make a difference now I don't know, but fans are perfectly entitled to say let's move on, it's all about opinions.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    This is nonsense, there is plenty people who have posted on this thread saying they rate Ambrose without mentioning the board or the standard of our defence.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This is nonsense, there is plenty people who have posted on this thread saying they rate Ambrose without mentioning the board or the standard of our defence.
    It’s all over social media about efe ‘sorting out our defence’ and how unbelievable it is that we didn’t get him as our defence is a ‘shambles’.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    If he didn’t leave us in January then he wouldn’t have been going anywhere. He may have signed for Derby at a later date than we would have expected, but he wouldn’t have been able to do that had he stayed.
    So I was correct then.
    He walked without a deal.

Cheers.

Left by mutual consent!

Agree. It’s weird. As well as saying Stevenson was okay and Hanlon outstanding. Posters didn’t want Cummings back because we had Shaw. It’s alright to overrate your team but belittling the contribution of Ambrose and McGeough while saying Slivka or Hallberg are good enough is mental.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    So I was correct then.
    He walked without a deal.

Cheers.
    I suppose are least Riordan, Caldwell and Murray walked away with a deal.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I suppose are least Riordan, Caldwell and Murray walked away with a deal.
    They didn’t walk out part way through their contract like Ambrose did.

Efe jumped ship because he knew the writing was on the wall with Lennon and the next manager wouldn't let him away with murder. That's how it looked to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Efe jumped ship because he knew the writing was on the wall with Lennon and the next manager wouldn't let him away with murder. That's how it looked to me anyway.
    If he continued the form he was in Hecky would've been a moron not to let him "away with murder"

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I think he probably just left because he felt he could get more money elsewhere (England). I’m pretty sure he wanted his ILR so he was always going to stay in the UK.

I don’t think he had any sort of attachment to the club beyond Lennon. He was largely a good performer for us, but hardly irreplaceable. He didn’t want to stay and he’s not worth all this fuss.

When Porteous is back, we’ll have good options in that RCB position.

Left by mutual consent!
    Efe always looks super cool when under any kind of pressure, nearly always slipping his way out of a tight spot.
    He does make the odd mistake and it’s usually costly but that doesn’t happen often.
    He is a maverick type of player, he’s not great at helping build an attack.

He was loved by the fans and then chose to exercise a clause in his contract midway through the season.

I personally wouldn’t have him back.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    Efe always looks super cool when under any kind of pressure, nearly always slipping his way out of a tight spot.
    He does make the odd mistake and it’s usually costly but that doesn’t happen often.

He was loved by the fans and then chose to exercise a clause in his contract midway through the season.

Are you joking, he's terrific at doing just that????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Are you joking, he's terrific at doing just that????????????????????
    Indeed.

I also struggle to think of many costly mistakes. He made less costly mistakes than all other defenders he played with so why are they never labeled like that?

Absolutely strolled it

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post

His major strength was dragging us up the park with his mazy runs the only problem was that no one knew what he was going to do next not even him

Just think back to his last game versus Hearts he instigated attack after attack from the right back position

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Another thing about Efe, he must be a naturally fit man or he has indeed trained hard.

How many times do we sign someone who's not played for a while and we hear how he's not ready yet, but he's not kicked a ball in a year and goes straight in as if he's never been away.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    They didn’t walk out part way through their contract like Ambrose did.
    Didn’t they bump Hibs then?