hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Omeonga

Chill, he kept a winning team.

Omeonga will be in for him next week.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Today was vintage Slivka - some really nice touches, the odd decent pass and occasionally wriggling out of tight areas.

Then there were long spells where he was anonymous, several times where he switched off altogether and a number of times where he was sloppy in possession.

An inconsistent mixed bag that promised much in places but ultimately flattered to deceive.

Slivka - in a nutshell.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Today was vintage Slivka - some really nice touches, the odd decent pass and occasionally wriggling out of tight areas.

Then there were long spells where he was anonymous, several times where he switched off altogether and a number of times where he was sloppy in possession.

An inconsistent mixed bag that promised much in places but ultimately flattered to deceive.

Slivka - in a nutshell.
    Yep. I still have the small belief he will improve but have been waiting for this to happen for 2 years odds now.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Penny for Omeongas thoughts today but it is a marathon not a sprint we have a small squad and have a lot of important games coming up and we need everyone to play their part.

He’ll be back fresh and ready to go

@hibs.net private member
    Tin hat time....I don’t think omeonga has done anything to warrant a starting place, think he’s been quite poor since signing tbh agree Slivka not the answer either but I’m not sure the wee man makes us any better

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Tin hat time....I don’t think omeonga has done anything to warrant a starting place, think he’s been quite poor since signing tbh agree Slivka not the answer either but I’m not sure the wee man makes us any better
    Neither has Slivka thought

Omeonga is still trying to get up to speed with games having been rusty since he left us. Slivka is the football equivalent of drizzle.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Neither has Slivka thought

Omeonga is still trying to get up to speed with games having been rusty since he left us. Slivka is the football equivalent of drizzle.
    I agreed slivka’s not the answer, I’d prefer someone else in his place than omeonga on recent performance though, maybe Whittaker to hold and let the others push on a bit, maybe even give Murray a run of games in a central position to see if he can hold a place down.

I’m just not convinced by omeonga as others are, a great wee guy really took to us yes but he’s not done much on the pitch for me, I can see why JR isn’t using him at the moment

Was thinking the same

Looks exactly the same Omeonga that we had before busy nicks balls off opposition players but offers little in the final third

Sure he provided a cross for a headed goal a few games back though?

Still early days and a lot of football still to be played

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I've every faith in Omeonga, but I agree with you.

The couple of times I've seen him recently I've thought he's not done much.

I can understand why he wasn't considered to have done enough to change a winning a team.
    Mon the Hibs.

You must be watching a different game from me, Omeonga has been excellent and possibly the best midfielder in all the games he has played. We can’t have every player being a creative player and nobody doing the dirty work. FWIW I think Scott Allan has been really poor for several games now and I’d prefer him on the bench to Omeonga. Opinions though.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    He’s done more in a couple of games to show he’s a better option than Slivka.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    He’s done more in a couple of games to show he’s a better option than Slivka.
    Not seen today but agree. Nippy sweety so he is. Baffledest of the baffled that Slivka got to start again after being so obviously p155 poor (again) v Killie.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Jeez, what games are you watching?

Ross was right to stick with the winning team but Omeonga needs to come in for the next game.

Left by mutual consent!
    Maybe Jack Ross does not rate Omeonga?

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Was thinking the same

Looks exactly the same Omeonga that we had before busy nicks balls off opposition players but offers little in the final third

Sure he provided a cross for a headed goal a few games back though?

Still early days and a lot of football still to be played
    Omeonga isn’t the the kind of player that’s meant to offer much in the final 3rd IMO, that’s why we have Scott Allan. His attributes are his energy, and ability to nick the ball. McGeouch never offered anything in the final 3rd but was excellent for us. Not all midfielders should be judged on the final 3rd IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Omeonga isn’t the the kind of player that’s meant to offer much in the final 3rd IMO, that’s why we have Scott Allan. His attributes are his energy, and ability to nick the ball. McGeouch never offered anything in the final 3rd but was excellent for us. Not all midfielders should be judged on the final 3rd IMO.
    Maybe but it would be nice if he could chip in

Provided an assist a few weeks back ( Doidge equaliser versus St Mirren) and remember him driving us forward on many occasions during his last spell

I remember one in particular when he “fouled “ The Rangers player outside our box drove up the the park with the ball and we scored as a direct result with Slippy G throwing his toys out the pram

I also remember Dylan scoring a cracking goal in the semi versus Aberdeen injuring himself in the celebration

Maybes Omeonga will come back thinking to himself he now needs to make himself undroppable by making a more positive contribution

I get he is not fully match fit
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 23-02-2020 at 08:28 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    He does have a pass in him too...remember his ball for McNulty winner up in Perth last season ? Outstanding ....

I think Jack Ross choosing to put 2 young players on at a time when the game was at a critical stage shows he has confidence in these players to be first team regulars
    it also dispels the myth that he is a cautious manager

First Team Breakthrough
    I read yesterday that there is a 6ft 2in Estonian international defensive midfielder training with Hibs at the moment. Maybe JR thinks he will have another option available to him!

I didn't see the need to change a winning team tbh. If Omeonga wants a starting place he'll need to force his way in to the team like he did very well the last time. He may end up getting his chance on Friday

Slivka is pish. Always has been.

He's powderpuff and fairly rarely puts his stamp on a game.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    He does have a pass in him too...remember his ball for McNulty winner up in Perth last season ? Outstanding ....
    The "problem" with Omeonga is that we have to keep referring to that pass because he doesn't normally do anything like that. But it's not really a problem because that's not his role in the team.

Agreed.

I'm warming to the 3-4-1-2 because McGinn and Hanlon can act as fullbacks to give us extra width when required. For that to work properly though we need a better defender than Slivka in midfield as cover, which means Omeonga who also improves our attacking options by allowing Docherty to play further forward.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

Nonsense. He is far from pish. Many good games for Hibs. Definitely more than bad. Might not be a starter long term but to call him pish is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Nonsense. He is far from pish. Many good games for Hibs. Definitely more than bad. Might not be a starter long term but to call him pish is ridiculous.
    Almost agreed.

Calling Slivka "pish" is as much an exaggeration as saying he has had "many" good games for Hibs, He's had a few, but definitely more anonymous than good.

I'm not bothered that he'll be moving on in the summer when his contract finishes.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Slivka plays as he will hold his position. And he did that well. Defensively he did very well. Unfortunately his passing was brutal once he got the ball.

I don’t think Slivka is pish

A neat tidy player with obvious ability and athleticism

Just maybe lacks the physicality required in the Scottish game and does not impose himself often enough or stamps his authority on games

Had more than enough chances would not be too fussed if he is moved on

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

This post is Pish.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Almost agreed.

Calling Slivka "pish" is as much an exaggeration as saying he has had "many" good games for Hibs, He's had a few, but definitely more anonymous than good.

I'm not bothered that he'll be moving on in the summer when his contract finishes.
    He has had many good games, though. Best player for weeks as Lennon was falling to bits, played most of Hecky's good run, played a good bit recently as Ross has got us going. Tremendous last time we beat Celtic at home.

Do we need Omeonga at home to Caley Thistle when we should be dominating possession? Not so sure. Against Hearts and away to Aberdeen, when we need to win the ball back and break up play, yes. Horses for courses.