hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Coolest penalty ever that Semi final. Huns needed to miss and did then up stepped Murdoch, I thought fk sake.
    Talking of centre halfs, IIRC Shaun Dennis scored a beauty at Pittodrie in a pen shoot out.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Matt Le Tissier, Mario Balotelli, Rickie Lambert, Leighton Bains, Graham Alexander, Eden Hazard.

The best penalty takers very, very rarely miss.
    Gary McAllister 32 from 35(bet we all remember one of the misses)
    Frank Lampard 60 from 70 (slam bang)
    Shearer 63 from 65
    Matt Le Tissier 49 from 50 - His quote is what a penalty taker should be doing in my opinion "I stuck it in the corner, and if the keeper went the right way it was hard enough to beat him"

As said the best penalty takers rarely miss and we don't seem to have one

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Gary McAllister 32 from 35(bet we all remember one of the misses)
    Frank Lampard 60 from 70 (slam bang)
    Shearer 63 from 65
    Matt Le Tissier 49 from 50 - His quote is what a penalty taker should be doing in my opinion "I stuck it in the corner, and if the keeper went the right way it was hard enough to beat him"

As said the best penalty takers rarely miss and we don't seem to have one

But as you've seen, even they miss some. Furthermore, they're some of the continents best players who a team like Hibs could never afford.

Just because one of our players has missed a penalty doesn't mean they should be dropped from them, they should be given the arm around the shoulder to step back up, back themselves and do better next time.

The overanalysis and criticism is way OTT on here.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Newell if he's fit, or Hanlon if not.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    But as you've seen, even they miss some. Furthermore, they're some of the continents best players who a team like Hibs could never afford.

Just because one of our players has missed a penalty doesn't mean they should be dropped from them, they should be given the arm around the shoulder to step back up, back themselves and do better next time.

They didn't missed many though. Allan has missed 3 and scored 4 in his career. That really isn't good enough imo and a professional should be able to take the goalie out of the equation and aim to hit a shot that can't be saved if they do their job right. I had a look at his previous Hibs pens and he generally strokes it side footed without too much pace into a corner. Looks a good pen when the keeper goes the wrong way but very savable if they guess right. I'd guess his record will continue and he will score slightly more than he misses. It is a thread about who should be the next taker. Short of a gut feeling what other way is there of having an opinion. Pen misses can be very expensive so we need to get it right

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Hanlon always hits a good penalty. Has Doidge had a chance yet?
    I think the penalty spot is too far away from goal for Doidge..

@hibs.net private member
    Newell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree Hanlon takes a good penalty, but I can just imagine the comments and moans from those around me in the stand if Hanlon were to step up to take one.

Boyler

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygadgey View Post
    Never mind penalty's get Allan off the corners. They stupid floated balls are really frustrating!
    Until he stops trying to score direct from one they will vontinue to be poor.....
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    Until he stops trying to score direct from one they will vontinue to be poor.....
    this. so annoying him shooting from every corner.

for penalties, hanlon, docherty or stevenson for me.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

Agreed.

Messi and Ronaldo on average miss 2 out of every 10 they take.

Messi once went on a run of missing 4 out of 7 pens.

It happens to the best.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 24-02-2020 at 05:06 PM.

I'm not one for changing after every miss. If a player feels confident about them and just so happens to have one saved or didn't catch it as cleanly as he usually does then taking him off them isn't going to help for the future imo. If the player misses a couple then starts to feel the pressure then of course take him out and put someone else on them who isn't feeling it.

I feel when you start having a one and done process to penalties everyone just knows that they can't miss or that's them.

Look on the bright side, we still have a way to go before we're as bad at penalties as we are at throw-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Matt Le Tissier, Mario Balotelli, Rickie Lambert, Leighton Bains, Graham Alexander, Eden Hazard.

The best penalty takers very, very rarely miss.
    I'd be up for any of them taking them. But Allan will do for me while they're all unavailable.

So that’s the Hanlon hype train halted, who next?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post

Docherty.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

At this rate Marciano, just rocket launch it in.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    At this rate Marciano, just rocket launch it in.
    I'll agree. Just smash it.

Mcnulty is the best finisher, confident lad just let him take the penalty's. Pick a designated taker and stick with it. And back him if he misses to score the next one. No one scores them all.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Get players to take 100 penalties each over several training sessions. Whoever scores the most, takes our penalties.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AlienDoidge9
    Is it just me or do we always have problems with penalty takers. We’ve never had anyone concrete in years always switching and changing. Personally I’d do a couple sessions on pens figure out who is the best and most confident and make it them. We’re going to need to sort it out we could need pens at some point in the competition and half out team wouldn’t be confident.

Darren Jackson was the last penalty taker that usually always put them away.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeForHeros16 View Post
    Is it just me or do we always have problems with penalty takers. We’ve never had anyone concrete in years always switching and changing. Personally I’d do a couple sessions on pens figure out who is the best and most confident and make it them. We’re going to need to sort it out we could need pens at some point in the competition and half out team wouldn’t be confident.
    Allan has been pretty reliable this year. Think he’s scored 5 out of 6?

Even the best players miss from time to time. He should still have been hitting the one last night IMO.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AlienDoidge9
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Allan has been pretty reliable this year. Think he’s scored 5 out of 6?

Even the best players miss from time to time. He should still have been hitting the one last night IMO.
    I agree Allan does seem our best pen taker, I think he’s missed 2 this season if memory serves me right. Obviously ever played misses penalty’s Messi has actually missed a lot more than you’d think. Not everyone can be a James Milner and never miss a pen.

I guess what I was originally trying to say was each season we seem to have patch where we don’t who’s best to take a pen or who is our penalty taker.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I was pleased when Hanlon grabbed the ball got the fear when McNulty tried to wrestle the ball off him Hanlon stuck to his guns then took a poor penalty

I felt for a Scottish Cup Quarter Final it is something that should have been sorted beforehand

Jack Ross admitted post match on the radio it wasn’t

Going forward anyone but not Hanlon McNulty or Allan as they have all had their chance and missed

Maybes Boyle as he has a fair shot on him or Doidge to boost his goal tally and as a reward for his hard work
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 29-02-2020 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    I was pleased when Hanlon grabbed the ball got the fear when McNulty tried to wrestle the ball off him Hanlon stuck to his guns then took a poor penalty

I felt for a Scottish Cup Quarter Final it is something that should have been sorted beforehand

Jack Ross admitted post match on the radio it wasn’t

Going forward anyone but not Hanlon McNulty or Allan as they have all had their chance and missed

Maybes Boyle as he has a fair shot on him or Doidge to boost his goal tally and as a reward for his hard work
    We'd have seen Doidge on penalties by now if that was his thing.

Taking penalties is as much mental as technical.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Paul Hanlon.

I just want a penalty taker who blasts the ball, rather than side footing it a saveable height for the keeper. Allan and Hanlon have both failed on that count in the past week.

The best Hibs penalty I can remember in recent times was Boyle’s in the semi final shootout against Dundee United. Hard and high, no chance for the keeper. Then I watched Time For Heroes and it turned out he’d meant to put it bottom corner.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    We'd have seen Doidge on penalties by now if that was his thing.

Taking penalties is as much mental as technical.
    Just asking for someone anyone to score the next one not too much to ask

Getting to the business end of the season where we need a reliable and trusted penalty taker or might end up costing us