hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation then?

The bus service around in Edinburgh seems to be very well used.
    Yes what I meant was lots of people don’t want to use public transport.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Yes what I meant was lots of people don’t want to use public transport.
    That makes more sense.

In which case, I think they should be looking at why that is. There might be some issues which can never be resolved, but public transport around Edinburgh is great, and if there's areas which can be improved on to make it of more use to more people then that's all the better too.

Public transport fulfills my requirements to the point where I just can't see the point in owning a car - never have in my 10 years since passing my test.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    I’d do nothing, it’s a big city that has rush hour congestion like any other city. People don’t want to use buses or trams.
    Fair enough, but Edinburgh is a growing city so it will continue to get worse until people are forced onto public transport at which point it has to be a viable alternative. Council missed a huge opportunity to set up and finance a viable mass transport system when they shat out of introducing congestion charging a few years ago.

i think we’re not far away from that now for many people. I used to drive in but switched to the train for that reason but they were all cancelled due to the weather on Saturday. Elected to drive in: big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    Fair enough, but Edinburgh is a growing city so it will continue to get worse until people are forced onto public transport at which point it has to be a viable alternative. Council missed a huge opportunity to set up and finance a viable mass transport system when they shat out of introducing congestion charging a few years ago.

i think we’re not far away from that now for many people. I used to drive in but switched to the train for that reason but they were all cancelled due to the weather on Saturday. Elected to drive in: big mistake.
    Why should Edinburgh continue to get worse just because it's getting bigger?

There's lots of cities around the world bigger than Edinburgh that manage.

Edinburgh is only the 9th largest city in the UK yet has the worst congestion according to some satnav company recently. Only 1 has a congestion charge that I'm aware of. Maybe the council could learn some lessons from them.

The City of Edinburgh Council just don't appear want to learn.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Why should Edinburgh continue to get worse just because it's getting bigger?

There's lots of cities around the world bigger than Edinburgh that manage.

Edinburgh is only the 9th largest city in the UK yet has the worst congestion according to some satnav company recently. Only 1 has a congestion charge that I'm aware of. Maybe the council could learn some lessons from them.

The City of Edinburgh Council just don't appear want to learn.
    There are multiple reasons for this. One of the largest is because we have (West approach road aside, and that used to be a train track) resisted the temptation to drive dual carriageways or motorways through the city centre...........which imo is a good thing although some would disagree.

I agree with Bunberry above, traffic is what it is - I have to get round town going job to job and (rush hour aside) its not that bad.

I also use the bus when I can and its a brilliant service, if not bus then taxis - if I still worked in St Andrew Sq I wouldnt even think about the car.

n.b. I appreciate these sat nav stats are probably based on facts but how they are presented can be skewed - I used to travel down south for work a lot and anyone thinking that Edinburgh is the most congested part of the UK has never sat on the M25 at rush hour

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Drove down Leith Walk for the 1st time in 3 months, this week. Was shocked at the road works for the trams
    Can only drive down part of the way
    God knows what it would have been like, if we’d all be going to the game on Saturday
    Looks like I’ll need to find a new way to get to ER when this is all over

What now?

Given the almost two years of disruption the businesses in Leith Walk put up with a few years ago for tram work preparation can someone please explain what they are doing now?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ianwalker1875 View Post
    Given the almost two years of disruption the businesses in Leith Walk put up with a few years ago for tram work preparation can someone please explain what they are doing now?
    Laying the tram tracks

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ianwalker1875 View Post
    Moving any services first that would be under the tracks then preparing for laying the tracks. And narrowing pavements at certain points. Apparently since the last prep some services had still been installed in the way of the tracks.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 26-07-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Laying the tram tracks
    How long is this going to take

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Moving any services first that would be under the tracks then preparing for laying the tracks.
    What the f*** did they do last time, throw everything back in the hole!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    What the f*** did they do last time, throw everything back in the hole!!
    I said the same thing at a meeting with the council as a rep for the Vittoria Group, unbelievably they couldn’t guarantee nothing new had been installed so done exploratory digs at certain sections and narrowed pavements at certain points.

I said the same thing at a meeting with the council as a rep for the Vittoria Group, unbelievably they couldn’t guarantee nothing new had been installed so done exploratory digs at certain sections and narrowed pavements at certain points.
    +4000 holes dug on Leith Walk for the last tram prep. A total con trick.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Road closures about 18 months

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Yonks.

Constitution street was originally fully shut for a year to do the works (will no doubt be longer now due to Covid-19 delays). I still can't get my head round how, with a road fully shut for a year it will take that long to do the works. Couple of weeks to dig a hole, couple of months to divert services, couple of months to backfill, tar and lay tracks. I'm all for extending the tram route, but the pace at which works are due to progress is shockingly slow.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Yep, I live in Leith and asked them about it, they said that they couldn't guarantee that the last two times it had been dug up that it had been done correctly so for liability purposes they had to dig it up again and make sure everything was as it should be etc

Are they getting rates relief, although the business will need more than that

Are they getting rates relief, although the business will need more than that
    Yes but it hit the businesses massively last time around so with tram works and Covid restrictions it will be very tough. One of the factors in La Favorita deciding to discard their entire fleet of Fiat 500’s.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It’s unbelievable to me that all the work on leith walk the last time has basically been a waste of time. Loads of businesses went bust due to the tram works a few years ago and to hear that they didn’t even do what they were supposed to do is a disgrace. What the **** were they doing for two years down there.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    It’s unbelievable to me that all the work on leith walk the last time has basically been a waste of time. Loads of businesses went bust due to the tram works a few years ago and to hear that they didn’t even do what they were supposed to do is a disgrace. What the **** were they doing for two years down there.
    A question the inquiry has yet to answer.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by greenlad View Post
    Road closures about 18 months
    I was told 2 years by one of the guys in the 'help' office containers things near Nobles.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I was told 2 years by one of the guys in the 'help' office containers things near Nobles.
    18 months is the "official" time as per this https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/tramstonewhaven/construction-information/proposed-timelines?documentId=4&categoryId=8

but if the first stage is anything to by, it'll slip to 5 years!

i wonder how many people connected through family or friends to the council own companies who dig up roads? One of the cons on the compulsory roof repairs scams was that councilors/council workers had "friends" who rented out the scaffold used. Too good a scam to miss out on with digging up roads, which they didn't miss out on the last time.

My heart goes out to every resident and business owner in the leith area.

These works and obsession with the trams would break even the hardened leither. I drove along from porty to granton at the weekend and even the traffic on Lindsay road was one way

It was supposed to start in April and finish before the festival next year but who knows when it will be done now. Avoiding this is about the only positive I can think of not being able to see us play at ER for the foreseeable. Easter Road will be a car park when there’s 15k people trying to get to the games

Drove down Leith Walk for the 1st time in 3 months, this week. Was shocked at the road works for the trams
    Can only drive down part of the way
    God knows what it would have been like, if we’d all be going to the game on Saturday
    Looks like I’ll need to find a new way to get to ER when this is all over
    Its been one way for a while now. Pain in the arse.

If the ‘workers’ take as long as they did laying the tracks on Princes Street there’s no chance it’ll be finished in whatever timescale the council halfwits have set.

I used to pass the ‘workers’ on Princes Street; often the scene was one bloke in a hole with a shovel in his hand, a few pals looking into the hole and some others standing about chatting on their mobiles. Chancers.

@hibs.net private member
    Be like that for about 2 years. My mate is working on it atm.

First Team Breakthrough
    I used to work for a major travel company owned by the Scottish Government and have seen first hand how utterly incompetent they are. If you keep voting for this Government, things will only get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by anon1875 View Post
    I used to work for a major travel company owned by the Scottish Government and have seen first hand how utterly incompetent they are. If you keep voting for this Government, things will only get worse.
    Is it the Scottish Govt overseeing the Trams?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk