hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    UEFA won't change games for domestic fixtures. There are Champion League fixtures on the Tuesday and Wednesday so they would have to kick off at 5 in the Europa fixture. A europa league Celtic or Rangers game if they were at home to kick off at 5 in Glasgow. Nah.
    would they both be at home in the first leg.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Play one of the Euro games on a Wednesday
    I didn't realise that was an option - assumed Europa games were always a Thursday.

That makes sense then if possible and agreed with UEFA.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Yes. That was my point. Someone was saying it was a better option than Hampden - presumably due to the perceived awfulness of the sightline there. I was merely pointing out that they aren't so hot at Murrayfield either.

FWIW, I've sat in every area at Hampden (apart from North Upper) and haven't struggled with the view. My favourite are being the bit behind the corner flags. But that's just me and my eyesight is still pretty good.
    Likewise. Anywhere in the north and south stand is fine. Seats at the corner flags are fine. The only terrible views are the bottom half of the 3 blocks directly behind the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    Murrayfields never happening. The only ones keep banging on about are deluded lazy Hibs and Hertz fans. Hampden's the national stadium for football and rightly so. Get over it.

PS was working the day of the Six nations v England last week. Gridlock all around the stadium, took 35 minutes to clear Western approach road, tram stop looked closed (red tape all over the stairways) and thousands by-passing the massive ques at Haymarket to get to Waverley instead. Superb infrastructure
    They said it wasn't happening last year as well.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    Murrayfield will always have a Hearts feel about it for me, if a stadium could represent a cardigan wearing, range rover driving, rugby loving, secret Tory voting, union loving, Hearts supporting bank manager Murrayfield would be it.
    Haha!

For us.

One train station nearby + tram stops + buses.

Hampden has two tram stops + buses.

As for things to do before the game, genuine question - what is there to do around Murrayfield? Go to the skate park? Sainsbury's?
    Murrayfield is also closer to the city centre, with good bus routes, and so it is easier to get to on foot.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I didn't realise that was an option - assumed Europa games were always a Thursday.

That makes sense then if possible and agreed with UEFA.
    Rangers are playing Braga on Wednesday because Porto are at home on the Thursday (and they aren't even from the same city). If both drawn at home, no reason one wouldn't be the Wednesday.
    As for early kick offs. I'm pretty sure celtic have been the early kick off before.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Rangers are playing Braga on Wednesday because Porto are at home on the Thursday (and they aren't even from the same city). If both drawn at home, no reason one wouldn't be the Wednesday.
    As for early kick offs. I'm pretty sure celtic have been the early kick off before.
    It’s not to do with being in the same city. There’s a specific radius that Uefa don’t like games being played in on the same night when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    It’s not to do with being in the same city. There’s a specific radius that Uefa don’t like games being played in on the same night when possible.
    So what your saying is; if rangers and celtic get that far and are both drawn at home, there's a chance one of them could play on a Wednesday.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Murrayfield will always have a Hearts feel about it for me, if a stadium could represent a cardigan wearing, range rover driving, rugby loving, secret Tory voting, union loving, Hearts supporting bank manager Murrayfield would be it.
    Totally agree apart from the Range Rover part. Most of them drive the normal Rover, with the bowling club committee members driving the much coveted Rover 75.

United we stand here....

Yes. That was my point. Someone was saying it was a better option than Hampden - presumably due to the perceived awfulness of the sightline there. I was merely pointing out that they aren't so hot at Murrayfield either.

FWIW, I've sat in every area at Hampden (apart from North Upper) and haven't struggled with the view. My favourite are being the bit behind the corner flags. But that's just me and my eyesight is still pretty good.
    I'd suggested it was a better option than Hampden but didn't once mention the sightline as I'm well aware Murrayfield has its flaws in that sense.

My point was that there are more advantages for Hibs fans in Murrayfield being used for cup semis and finals than Hampden. Less travel, more tickets available, drink in same Edinburgh boozers then tram/ bus/ walk to game.

Despite this, many people would rather Hampden was used, the main reason seemingly is 'that's the way its always been'. Interesting that the idea of tradition outweighs a number of Hampden's disadvantages for some people. I personally don't attach that much significance to the stadium's traditions/ history, certainly not enough to prefer it over an option where an all round better matchday experience would be available - which I think its what Murrayfield would give.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    SFA have just spent millions purchasing Hampden, there will never be a national semi final or final at Murrayfield unless Hampden is closed for refurbishment. It's a pipe dream to think otherwise.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

So what your saying is; if rangers and celtic get that far and are both drawn at home, there's a chance one of them could play on a Wednesday.
    Possible but more likely they’d switch one of the ties

Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    I'd suggested it was a better option than Hampden but didn't once mention the sightline as I'm well aware Murrayfield has its flaws in that sense.

My point was that there are more advantages for Hibs fans in Murrayfield being used for cup semis and finals than Hampden. Less travel, more tickets available, drink in same Edinburgh boozers then tram/ bus/ walk to game.

Despite this, many people would rather Hampden was used, the main reason seemingly is 'that's the way its always been'. Interesting that the idea of tradition outweighs a number of Hampden's disadvantages for some people. I personally don't attach that much significance to the stadium's traditions/ history, certainly not enough to prefer it over an option where an all round better matchday experience would be available - which I think its what Murrayfield would give.
    Fair enough, assuming you live in Edinburgh I can see where you are coming from.

But having the same Boozer available doesn't make much of a difference for me (the hibs club to Murrayfield is a bit of a trek). The travel from Bathgate to Edinburgh/Glasgow isn't too hugely different for me either. Also don't think we would take that many more fans if there was a tie at Murrayfield than Hampden. Couple thousand extra at most imo.

Not forgetting a day out to Hampden is exactly that, a day out and is treated as such by a large section of our support. A day trip to murryfield just wouldn't be the same.

Left by mutual consent!
    If I was John Robertson, I'd be pinning this thread up on the dressing room door (so to speak.) One Scottish Cup in 118 years does not give us the right to be taking anything for granted.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    If I was John Robertson, I'd be pinning this thread up on the dressing room door (so to speak.) One Scottish Cup in 118 years does not give us the right to be taking anything for granted.
    Booo! Inverness who?

J

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Can see the Caley players getting interviewed after the game now...

"What do you put that victory down to boys? Embracing the challenge of testing yoursleves against a top flight team? The desire for more silverware after lifting the cup a few years ago?"

"Nah actually, a couple of Hibs fans on an internet forum got excited about the prospect of reaching the next round of the cup. How dare they... the cheek of it. That really gave us an extra spring in our step to go and knock them out."

They could hold one of the games on a Monday night?

Sounds daft but back in 1995 Hibernian played Celtic at Ibrox on a Friday night in the Scottish Cup Semi-Final.

Between 1999-2001, one of the Semi-Finals was always played at 6.05pm on a Sunday night.

Just because it didn’t happen in the Twitter era, it gets forgotten about. Most things have happened before, it seems we get more outraged today though.

For us.

One train station nearby + tram stops + buses.

Hampden has two tram stops + buses.

As for things to do before the game, genuine question - what is there to do around Murrayfield? Go to the skate park? Sainsbury's?
    Tram stops at Hampden? Glasgow has no trams.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    In terms of spectacle, do Rugby fans from all over the rugby playing world complain about Murrayfield? Hampden is poor because the seats are built on the old terrace versus better "stadum" seating. THe view is crap because the height is wrong at the ends. Murrayfield build new terraces where the view is far better. Having recently visited the Bernabau,you are miles from the pitch at the ends and the top deck but becasue it's full,I'm sure the atmosphere is fine. If it were to happen a semi final in Edinburgh against either side of the two cheecks has to be a massive improvement on any semi at Hampden and the 3 hour wait for the polis to let traffic heading to Edinburgh GTFOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    But if both games have to be played on the Sunday what's the other solution?
    One match at 12:30 and the other at 16:00?

I like the idea of my auld 4x4 parked in the carpark, back door open, champers and sandwiches before the game. depends on what end we would get at Murrayfield though. the other side, well it has to be tram.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AlienDoidge9
    Certainly wouldn’t be the rangers at Murrayfield, Gerrard would end up at the ice rink on his hole

Testimonial Due
    +Caravan, tank tops, moustaches and Corstorphine bungolow.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Tram stops at Hampden? Glasgow has no trams.
    Meant to say train stations and have now edited.

[QUOTE=danhibees1875;6091313]But if both games have to be played on the Sunday what's the solution.

They would play one at Ibrox or Darkhead

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    One match at 12:30 and the other at 16:00?
    They suggested that once - everyone said they were daft to even consider it.

Sounds like it won't be an issue anyway.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I’ve no appetite for football being played at Murrayfield while Scottish football has its own national stadium, despite its flaws.

If it's Hampden traditions like the Old firm being guaranteed 'their' own ends or taking 2/3 hours to get home, then nah.
    2016 drew a line under the place for me, I'll always love it for that, so I'd be more than happy with Murrayfield, but then I quite like egg-chasing.

Not forgetting a day out to Hampden is exactly that, a day out and is treated as such by a large section of our support. A day trip to murryfield just wouldn't be the same.
    I would disagree with that, a dayout at Murrayfield would have a different feeling about it, its in the city but not home. Like goin to Tiny Tiny its a day oot.