hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let’s copy their youth development system first and then worry about solar panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can we only do 1 thing at the same time?

BTW I'm not actually saying the club should get solar, I trust they have looked into this and the economics behind it.

I was just making a point that other clubs, many bigger than ourselves, have taken steps in this direction. What Hibs are doing is not that out of the ordinary.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    It is indeed an absolute belter and a great pity that it was rather needlessly closed. It could have been found a perfectly nice home on the Holy Ground, although that is a dark place...

I have two questions. Has the club or Ron published/announced the new business plan yet? Does anyone know what percentage of global carbon emissions are currently contributed by Scotland?
    The UK contributes less than 2% of global emissions so Scotland's share, and then Edinburgh's share is so tiny it's inconsequential on a global scale!!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    The UK contributes less than 2% of global emissions so Scotland's share, and then Edinburgh's share is so tiny it's inconsequential on a global scale!!
    True, though that doesn't mean we shouldn't make an effort.

The clubs electricity is already carbon free. Solar would not enhance our green credentials in any way. Getting rid of the gas heating system might.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Good point! Although I know the panels can be quite heavy - I wonder if the stand roofs could support much extra weight?
    We have 80 solar panels on our roof at work. It's just a standard fabricated roof and hasn't been strengthened at any time.

First Team Regular
    All adds zero value to the club, will it attract more fans, no, will it convince certain players to choose us over someone w else..highly unlikely, do the 60 + members off staff drive electric cars..can the 60+ afford them no. Would we choose Doc on a full deal or rather have solar panels, allotments and bees? How many off the pro group actually drive electric cars?
    Have we ticked a box for a fashionable subject...yes

Nothing more!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Let’s copy their youth development system first and then worry about solar panels.

It is possible to type nonsense and eat a sandwich at the same time. Other people take a dump while reading a newspaper. It's called multitasking.

Quote Originally Posted by fishybeaver View Post
    All adds zero value to the club, will it attract more fans, no, will it convince certain players to choose us over someone w else..highly unlikely, do the 60 + members off staff drive electric cars.. o, can the 60+ afford them no. Would we choose Doc on a full deal or rather have solar panels, allotments and bees?

Nothing more!!
    Would hardly call global warming fashionable.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Would hardly call global warming fashionable.
    I would, it's the latest "cool" thing to be attached to.
    I am all for keeping the seas clean etc, but the global warming fear is open for questioning big time.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    All adds zero value to the club, will it attract more fans, no, will it convince certain players to choose us over someone w else..highly unlikely, do the 60 + members off staff drive electric cars..can the 60+ afford them no. Would we choose Doc on a full deal or rather have solar panels, allotments and bees? How many off the pro group actually drive electric cars?

Nothing more!!
    Again read the proposal. Hibs will electrify the pool of cars, so no members of the staff will be buying them, it's a business lease agreement, which we already have.

Your assumption that paying for any of the capital costs incurred will impact the player budget will be addressed at the AGM, and proved to be unfounded.

Is climate change and environmental issues fashionable? No. They are global issues. Climate change is driving the current fires in Australia, storms in the UK, drought in Africa and Asia. Not very fashionable.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

The other thread was closed because the OP was about the new initiative launched by Hibs outlining our green policy, but the content devolved into 'debating' the integrity of climate change evidence.

It wasn't moved to the Holy Ground because it doesn't belong there, it was about Hibs. If you want to start a thread about global warming on the Holy Ground, go right ahead.

I'll just ask that we please keep this one on topic regarding the announcement from Hibs, it would be a shame to have to close both.

Thanks folks.

I would, it's the latest "cool" thing to be attached to.
    I am all for keeping the seas clean etc, but the global warming fear is open for questioning big time.
    This is tremendous. A climate change denier

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

Nothing more!!
    I understand where you're coming from with wanting Hibs to focus purely on their football; maximising revenues to spend more on players and ultimately do better on the pitch.

But I think as a society we've went passed that point, businesses of any nature could claim that as well as individuals. We're probably guilty of doing that for too long and that's what has gotten us further into this mess. I think it's time everyday businesses started to do more and focus on the triple bottom line - the club are starting off down the right path here.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    It would appear that Scotland was contributing roughly 0.12% of total global emissions as of 2017.

More than Switzerland at 0.11%, the same as Bulgaria at 0.12% and less than Ireland at 0.13%.

Unless China 27.51%, the US 14.75%, EU 9.33%, India 6.43%, Russia 4.86%, Japan 2.99% and Brazil 2.25% get their acts together we'll be screwed anyway. As they constitute just under 70% of total global emissions collectively our 0.12% is literally a fly on the elephant's backside.

If at this stage you're still denying climate change you have a lot of catch up reading to do. Are Hibs going to fix it? No. Is it a clever marginal initiative from the Club? Yes. Would I have preferred to see this now near mythical business plan published first? Yes.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This is tremendous. A climate change denier
    It's mental that they still exist.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I understand where you're coming from with wanting Hibs to focus purely on their football; maximising revenues to spend more on players and ultimately do better on the pitch.

But I think as a society we've went passed that point, businesses of any nature could claim that as well as individuals. We're probably guilty of doing that for too long and that's what has gotten us further into this mess. I think it's time everyday businesses started to do more and focus on the triple bottom line - the club are starting off down the right path here.

Is there any reason why we can't prioritise the football interests of the club while also saving the planet? It is possible to walk and chew bum at the same time (sic), unless you're Gerald Ford.

Nothing more!!
    Wow! You just keep your head buried in the sand and leave everyone else to try to sort out the mess we've got ourselves into.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 21-02-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Is there any reason why we can't prioritise the football interests of the club while also saving the planet? It is possible to walk and chew bum at the same time (sic), unless you're Gerald Ford.
    Sounds okay to me but I like to see where I'm going.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I think that's exactly what is happening, yes.
    Mon the Hibs.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Sounds okay to me but I like to see where I'm going.
    You just lack ambition. And sonar.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    The other thread was closed because the OP was about the new initiative launched by Hibs outlining our green policy, but the content devolved into 'debating' the integrity of climate change evidence.

It wasn't moved to the Holy Ground because it doesn't belong there, it was about Hibs. If you want to start a thread about global warming on the Holy Ground, go right ahead.

I'll just ask that we please keep this one on topic regarding the announcement from Hibs, it would be a shame to have to close both.

Thanks folks.
    Good shout.......although the other thread was tremendous entertainment

Back on topic for a moment, this is a very sensible move by Hibs. If we can do good - even if it perceived to be in a small way - then that is a positive thing.

It may also get us some very decent publicity and awareness among younger people, which again is no bad thing.

I was talking to my IFA yesterday and he was telling me about one of the Investment Fund Managers in Edinburgh who are on a mission to ensure all their funds are invested in both ethical and environmentally friendly companies by the end of 2021.
    On the face of it, it sounds like a gimmick, but if previously hard nosed, only interested in the bottom line Investment houses see that this is the way the wind is blowing - then it not only makes sense, but not to acknowledge it or do something about it is just silly.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Nothing more!!
    Quite a lot wrong with this post.

Commercially, it's a great move for the club - makes us immediately more marketable and will be a big factor in attracting more lucrative sponsorship.

Forest Green Rovers are a case in point, I had barely heard of them previously but even before we signed Doidge I was aware of their green credentials.

Businesses need to have social responsibility, Hibs are no different.

This is an excellent initiative that will add to, not detract from, our potential for success.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    It's mental that they still exist.
    It's not so much denying climate change exists, it's pretty much accepted as fact now.

There is however an awful lot to be discussed around the causes and what we can do about it, if anything.

The answer put forward by most people seems to be to consume less or pay more for what we do consume. If that is the case then, yeah, we're as well not giving a damn.

I'm all for putting litter in the bin or turning the lights off when I'm not in the room but lets not pretend we're saving the planet.

First Team Regular
    It's not so much denying climate change exists, it's pretty much accepted as fact now.

There is however an awful lot to be discussed around the causes and what we can do about it, if anything.

The answer put forward by most people seems to be to consume less or pay more for what we do consume. If that is the case then, yeah, we're as well not giving a damn.

I'm all for putting litter in the bin or turning the lights off when I'm not in the room but lets not pretend we're saving the planet.
    The voice off reason.

Who on here is pretending we are saving the planet. If every business had your attitude then nothing would get done. Nothing at all.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Although there's so much more that we can all try to do, and without too much effort, you think it's not worth bothering then?

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The bulk of the stadium is used only 2-3 times per month on average (less in the summer). To be useful the electricity/energy gained from the solar panls would have to be either stocked (batteries) or sold back to the grid. The deal/contract with the energy providers to sell the excess power is what would determine the viability of solar panels, and these things change all the time.
    Weser Stadion.jpg

Werder Bremen.

True that the contract with energy providers will determine viability, but there's another way here in Bremen - citizens' solar power. Basically citizens (or fans) invest from €500 in the panels and get a return each year, usually 4-6% here. All the owners of the roofs do is rent them out for a tidy sum each year. Win-win-win (club-punters-environment). A chunk of my pension now comes from exactly this model.

The voice off reason.
    Luckily there are people, like Hibs now, who make the effort to show us that this isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Who on here is pretending we are saving the planet. If every business had your attitude then nothing would get done. Nothing at all.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Ah, Kato, everytime I post anything, about anything, you're there, waiting to pounce....

Read through the thread and you'll see a few posts mentioning 'saving the planet'.

Besides, I'm not talking specifically about Hibs fans here, I'm talking about the whole green movement. Everywhere go you'll see something talking about 'saving the planet'.

Quote Originally Posted by HiBremian View Post
    Weser Stadion.jpg

Werder Bremen.

True that the contract with energy providers will determine viability, but there's another way here in Bremen - citizens' solar power. Basically citizens (or fans) invest from €500 in the panels and get a return each year, usually 4-6% here. All the owners of the roofs do is rent them out for a tidy sum each year. Win-win-win (club-punters-environment). A chunk of my pension now comes from exactly this model.
    Good stuff.