hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My local authority where I live is currently trying to reduce car use and increase things like walking and cycling.

And - without fail - there is always some tool who says the whole thing can’t work because they personally have to take their wheelchair bound 90 year old granny with them on every single trip.

I have lost patience with these people.
    I would like to use my bike more, unfortunately the topography combined with my advancing years makes it difficult. That 2 miles to the woolly jumper shop is all downhill, meaning the return journey is all uphill.

I've calculated it as a gradient of 7.7%
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 22-02-2020 at 10:39 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    We're making a conscious effort to consume cleaner energy, have less single use plastics stuck in the environmental cycle, less litter around our communities, and more varied and healthy options for food at the football.

There's no ensuing hardship here, it's just making things better.

Attachment 23029
    Thank you.

I was looking for that last night and couldn't find it.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

When RG was thinking up this PR exercise, he didn't exactly have to put a lot of thought into it.

"OK, y'all. What're we gonna do to pretend to care about the environment and such. Any thoughts?".

"Well, Mr G, we're called the Hi-bees, so something that takes our nickname into account. Oh and some people think you're Paddington Bear, and he loves honey, so......"

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    As the whole of Scotland is responsible for just 0.12% of global carbon emissions, even looking at this at club rather than individual level will still be next to negligible in impact.
    Think on it this way (football content) -

If you starting singing in support of the team this afternoon, it will have no impact so why bother? However if everyone took that view then there would be no backing for the team.

But if a large number of fans are singing, then the collective singing is a boost to the team. To achieve that takes each individual fan to make a personal decision to join in. And of course each one that does sets a positive example to everyone else.

It's the same with carbon emissions. A small country like ours doing something will have negligible impact at a global level, but if a number of small countries like Scotland take steps then the cumulative effect is beneficial and it enables us to ask the bigger polluters to get their act together.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    I would like to use my bike more, unfortunately the topography combined with my advancing years makes it difficult. That 2 miles to the woolly jumper shop is all downhill, meaning the return journey is all uphill.

Have a look at an ebike. They are great for this kind of journey and not too expensive.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar

Based on your name, I have cycled to your local from the bottom several times while touring about the area - I can confirm that its a mare of a hill, and one I couldnt do now

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    When RG was thinking up this PR exercise, he didn't exactly have to put a lot of thought into it.

"OK, y'all. What're we gonna do to pretend to care about the environment and such. Any thoughts?".

"Well, Mr G, we're called the Hi-bees, so something that takes our nickname into account. Oh and some people think you're Paddington Bear, and he loves honey, so......"

You were doing well until Paddington. He liked marmalade. You then have an image of pooh who is a fan of hunny.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Based on your name, I have cycled to your local from the bottom several times while touring about the area - I can confirm that its a mare of a hill, and one I couldnt do now
    Well, my local is about the half way point of my journey. 🤔😊

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Think on it this way (football content) -

If you starting singing in support of the team this afternoon, it will have no impact so why bother? However if everyone took that view then there would be no backing for the team.

But if a large number of fans are singing, then the collective singing is a boost to the team. To achieve that takes each individual fan to make a personal decision to join in. And of course each one that does sets a positive example to everyone else.

It's the same with carbon emissions. A small country like ours doing something will have negligible impact at a global level, but if a number of small countries like Scotland take steps then the cumulative effect is beneficial and it enables us to ask the bigger polluters to get their act together.
    👍. Brilliant

You were doing well until Paddington. He liked marmalade. You then have an image of pooh who is a fan of hunny.

Och it's a Bear, stop being fussy

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Of course there are double standards, you still have to go to a shop, travel, live. The individual makes what effort they can but still has to buy food and use their car. You can drive economically and do fewer miles where you can but if you live in the sticks you have to drive.

This should be moved to the HG
    I'm just back from the supermarket, 2 miles each way. Weight of shopping is 7.85kg. Yes I took the car, my arms would have dropped off otherwise. At least I was able to freewheel down the road. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Och it's a Bear, stop being fussy
    🐻👍😁

Well, my local is about the half way point of my journey. 🤔😊
    Ah, didnt realise you were further up - Edradour way presumably?

Lovely part of the world, and - as mentioned before, I have cycled it a lot.

You need good legs though !!!

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post

The Hibernian announcement is excellent PR but not a lot else other than making us and potential sponsors feel good about ourselves. It would almost be the dreaded virtue signalling were it not for that fact that it is presumably intended to bring a net commercial benefit to the club one way or another.

This is where I am

Anything to help tackle climate change is worthwhile however alot of initiatives are not much more than PR exercises.

If the Club want to produce good PR stories and do some good I would rather they became an accredited Living Wage Employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Not So Young View Post
    This is where I am

Anything to help tackle climate change is worthwhile however alot of initiatives are not much more than PR exercises.

If the Club want to produce good PR stories and do some good I would rather they became an accredited Living Wage Employer.
    https://news.stv.tv/east-central/1344342-football-boss-criticises-councillor-for-online-petition?top

I had forgotten about that tweet

This was a councillor starting a mini campaign on the back of Hearts (as usual) trumpeting how they are so good and doing something amazing..........which it turns out we also do.

He was completely owned by LD though

Coaching Staff
    This is where I am

Good. I stand corrected

I don't understand the decision not to be accredited though

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Good. I stand corrected

I don't understand the decision not to be accredited though
    From what was said there hasn't been a decision to not be accredited, just that they haven't done it yet.

This is where I am

Somewhere around 300k people visit Easter Road annually. If the products that are sold, how they are packaged and how waste is disposed of is part of this initiative then surely it's not just a PR exercise?

If Hibs try to change attitudes among the fan base and local community by leading by example then what's to criticise?

Why not be supportive of this initiative instead of being cynical?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Somewhere around 300k people visit Easter Road annually. If the products that are sold, how they are packaged and how waste is disposed of is part of this initiative then surely it's not just a PR exercise?

If Hibs try to change attitudes among the fan base and local community by leading by example then what's to criticise?

Why not be supportive of this initiative instead of being cynical?
    I made a similar point earlier in the thread, I don’t get why people start at cynicism and have to be convinced things are good.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    To improve our green credentials let’s get rid of the plastic sachets of sauce and replace them with refillable containers. Also start using vegware or similar for the hot drinks. Give a discount for anyone bringing their own reusable drinks cup. Small steps but all the small steps add up and they matter..
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    To improve our green credentials let’s get rid of the plastic sachets of sauce and replace them with refillable containers. Also start using vegware or similar for the hot drinks. Give a discount for anyone bringing their own reusable drinks cup. Small steps but all the small steps add up and they matter..
    Oh look!!!

Page 4

http://greenestclubinscotland.co.uk/

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...issues-1889551

You don’t have to be a Hibs fan to support green issues

People often ask me what is the one thing they should do to save the planet. There is a feeling of helplessness, that if you already cycle and recycle and you don’t take internal flights, then there is nothing to stop the climate crisis that is becoming more and more obvious to us all.

The truth is that this is not simply about lifestyle choices, it is about leadership, especially when the empirical scientific evidence tells us we have ten years to turn this around.

The climate emergency has not been caused by ordinary people. It is governments and corporations that need to act. In fact, just 100 companies have been the source of more than 70 per cent of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions since 1988.

They need to shift investment from the things that are causing the most damage to our planet and towards the things that make up the solution.

That is why I was *absolutely thrilled when Hibs announced that the club was stepping up its ambition to be the greenest football club in Scotland.

In its statement the club says it takes seriously its leadership role for citizens of Leith, citizens of Edinburgh, citizens of Scotland and citizens of the world.

I hadn’t previously been aware that Hibs are third in the UK for *environmental action, after *Forest Green Rovers and Manchester United. It’s fantastic that they want to shout that from the rooftops, because it shows the kind of impressive leadership we need.

This means Hibs already use renewable electricity and take a lead on recycling, but they have pledged to go further. They will be removing all single use plastics from the stadium’s catering kiosks, switching their car fleet to electric vehicles and introducing vegan food to its matchday kiosks.

They are looking at harvesting rainwater, beekeeping and opening community gardens at the training facilities in East Lothian.

The club will also work in partnership with other organisations including small local businesses to lead change, and make low carbon choices easier for supporters. As I said, this is about leadership, not individual lifestyle choices.

Football clubs are in the *physical and metaphorical hearts of our communities. Some, like Hibs, have a global following. I remember the incredible scenes as 250,000 people took to the streets to celebrate their cup win.

Hibs chairman Ronald Gordon and chief executive Leanne Dempster should be congratulated for using that platform to spread understanding that we need to go further if we are to provide an emergency response to the climate crisis.

If Edinburgh is going to reach the aim of becoming carbon neutral by 2030, then other institutions in the city must take note of what Hibs are doing and match their *ambition. Furthermore, I hope other football clubs across the country can take inspiration from them, even those who don’t wear green.

Because when it comes to the climate emergency, we’re all on the same side. It is not helpful to think about individual sacrifices that ordinary people have to make, when strong leadership can build a better Scotland for all of us, whatever team you support.

Alison Johnstone is a Green MSP for Lothian.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    That's quite an inspirational read.