hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah who IS Gollum?

Kudos to Michael Stewart for calling out the Hun Bully

Still waiting on Sportscene to acknowledge Michael Stewart is missing and why?
    Don’t hold your breath

Edit: just read post on acknowledgement

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Green Badger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    The BBC only spends a small fraction of the money it raises in Scotland locally. Most of the money stays in London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure that’s true. Think the majority is spent here, albeit lower in percentage terms than Wales or NI.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    The BBC only spends a small fraction of the money it raises in Scotland locally. Most of the money stays in London.

It's somewhere in the region of 70-80%. Should be more but hardly a 'small fraction'.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Did he ever state that Levein was a 'dangerous character' and a 'bully'? I like Stewart as a pundit and dislike Traynor a lot. A lot of what Stewart said was fair enough but there's no doubt that he went too far a couple of times.

I don't quite get why everyone is getting so exercised about this tbh. Stewart opened the BBC up to legal action and the BBC have clamped down on the risk of it happening again. I'm inclined to think that anyone saying the same words on the BBC about another person without the right of reply would get in deep ****.
    BBC issued an apology the following night and stated that people had been reminded of the standards.

Since then they have made the choice not to use MS.

Whoever conceived the program the night that MS accused JT of manipulating the stories and being a dangerous character needs to look at themselves. Maybe they didn’t think anyone was clued up enough suggest that JT was manipulating the narrative around the Morellos stories but they should have been.

You’re right, it went too far but the apology covered that.

What is happening now is so similar to what was done to Jim Spence for referring to TRFC as the club that died. No doubt, similarly to JS, TRFC fans will have inundated the BBC with complaints.

Meanwhile the program is poorer: unless you want to listen to Derek Ferguson insinuate that LG is a nasty piece of work because he kicked his laddie in a game earlier in the season and did it again at Hamilton.

MS often provides a fans view, not always easy listening when it is your team, but more often than not pretty close to the mark. We now have Chick Young back

Next few weeks will be interesting. Business end of the season brings out the worst in many fans ... but it will only ever be a minority of fans that indulge in racist/ sectarian chants.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    [/B]
    Keep up. Gollum is the Rangers name for Chris McLaughlin, who is at the centre of the BBC/Rangers conflict.
    Call him by his name then. Better effect.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    BBC issued an apology the following night and stated that people had been reminded of the standards.

Since then they have made the choice not to use MS.

Whoever conceived the program the night that MS accused JT of manipulating the stories and being a dangerous character needs to look at themselves. Maybe they didn’t think anyone was clued up enough suggest that JT was manipulating the narrative around the Morellos stories but they should have been.

You’re right, it went too far but the apology covered that.

What is happening now is so similar to what was done to Jim Spence for referring to TRFC as the club that died. No doubt, similarly to JS, TRFC fans will have inundated the BBC with complaints.

Meanwhile the program is poorer: unless you want to listen to Derek Ferguson insinuate that LG is a nasty piece of work because he kicked his laddie in a game earlier in the season and did it again at Hamilton.

MS often provides a fans view, not always easy listening when it is your team, but more often than not pretty close to the mark. We now have Chick Young back

Next few weeks will be interesting. Business end of the season brings out the worst in many fans ... but it will only ever be a minority of fans that indulge in racist/ sectarian chants.

That makes it all sound a bit Bill Grundy. Dirty ****ing rotter.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Traynor used to rip into people all the time on his phone in.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonHFC View Post
    Someone should ask the BBC why he was allowed to rip the pish out of Levein on numerous occasions but when it comes to anything 'The Rangers' it becomes off topic?
    My Jambo pals are apoplectic about this. Most agree ms is the best around and just see it as and extension of the gfa.Sportscene is becoming unwatchable. Highlights online now for me. Can't take anymore of the bigot bros love in.

Hopefully another broadcaster gets MS, FT EBC

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    Absolutely did wonder what has changed.

I complained to the BBC after a sporstsound in which MS called out the bigotry at The Huns. Derek Ferguson then became an apology sound piece for them calling out all the “good work” they were doing to remove the bigotry and not once acknowledging there is a problem.

The response was that it was DFs personal opinion, not the BBCs so nothing to see here, move on.

So how come the same doesn’t apply to MS? They even stated that it was not necessarily BBCs views on air at the time of MS comments.

Quote Originally Posted by GibbytheHibby2 View Post
    I complained to the BBC after a sporstsound in which MS called out the bigotry at The Huns. Derek Ferguson then became an apology sound piece for them calling out all the “good work” they were doing to remove the bigotry and not once acknowledging there is a problem.

The response was that it was DFs personal opinion, not the BBCs so nothing to see here, move on.

So how come the same doesn’t apply to MS? They even stated that it was not necessarily BBCs views on air at the time of MS comments.
    I think the difference is that you were complaining about something that Derek Ferguson didn't say, whereas this is about something that Michael Stewart did say and which could be considered slanderous.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I think the difference is that you were complaining about something that Derek Ferguson didn't say, whereas this is about something that Michael Stewart did say and which could be considered slanderous.
    Tam Cowan said on Saturday that he didnt believe a word of what Craig Whyte had said in their interview, and "why would anyone believe what that man said"............i.e. inferring he is a liar.

Thats apparently ok, but saying a man is dangerous isnt and breaks BBC guidelines?????

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post

Seem to remember him saying all sorts of things about Hibs/Petrie when trying to force through the transfer of Brown and Thomson to Rangers.

No right of reply for us.

Of course that was ok...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Meanwhile they're happy to employ Malky Mackay on Sunday night.
    He was hopeless

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    He was hopeless

Wasn't he just, in conjunction with Steven Thomson the program was boredom central. 😴

Left by mutual consent!
    Michael Stewart said something defamatory on air, and the BBC's lawyers accepted an apology was required. Until Michael demonstrates that he knows where the legal boundaries are, it won't be possible to have him back on the show.

Whether or not Traynor is a toley, or Derek Ferguson made a fool of himself is neither here nor there. Michael got it wrong, until he shows he won't do it again the BBC are not going to risk being taken to court.
    Last edited by Cataplana; 19-02-2020 at 10:49 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Michael Stewart said something defamatory on air, and the BBC's lawyers accepted an apology was required. Until Michael demonstrates that he knows where the legal boundaries are, it won't be possible to have him back on the show.

Whether or not Traynor is a toley, or Derek Ferguson made a fool of himself is neither here nor there. Michael got it wrong, until he shows he won't do it again the BBC are not going to risk being taken to court.
    Correct.

It's not like Have I got news for you where they record everything so that the lawyers can approve or delete the panelists comments before they're aired.

It's a live show so the contributors need to be careful when making allegations about individuals even if we think they're odious.

The ball is firmly in Michael's court and it looks like a solution is there if he wants to take it.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    [/B]
    Keep up. Gollum is the Rangers name for Chris McLaughlin, who is at the centre of the BBC/Rangers conflict.
    I’ve been told by a rangers mate that he was writing ‘fake news’ about them so they revoked his pass. He could pay for his pass should he like to continue to attend.
    But the BBC have stood by him and the rest of the reporters don’t attend.

Something like that

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I turned off when I saw that McKay was given a role, it’s ridiculous enough that this guy has such high office within the SFA, but to have him pumped into the living rooms of the population is beyond the pale.

BBC Scotland’s sports department is becoming a parody of itself.

I like Mikey Stewart and I think he's the best pundit in the country probably at this point. But while I don't think he's wrong in what he said I think he needs to learn to be cuter about how he goes about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    I’ve been told by a rangers mate that he was writing ‘fake news’ about them so they revoked his pass. He could pay for his pass should he like to continue to attend.
    But the BBC have stood by him and the rest of the reporters don’t attend.

Something like that
    Fake news my arse. He reported arrests for sectarian chants when the cuddly Sevconians were at ER and beat us 6-2 in the Petrofac cup. They banned Spiers for reporting on sectarianism as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post

There were numerous defences for what Michael Stewart said and the BBC lawyers would have been able to deal with it easily. Sevco would rather have control over the BBC's output than attempt legal action that would likely fail, and the BBC would rather meekly issue an apology and sideline a commentator than irritate Sevco and its supporters.

This is the report that kicked it off:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33665555

Left by mutual consent!
    I am currently undertaking a 1 man boycott of Sportsound. I kind of like Mickey Stewart. Don't agree with everything he says but he is worth listening too.

I started having my doubts about Sportsound when I heard a debate between MS, Derek Ferguson and Billiy Dodds. If I recollect, MS was saying there were connotations to Sevco fans wearing orange colours to games but DF/BD (without any hint of shame or irony) where saying it was because they had a couple of dutch players in their team. Whilst it was a heated debate, I did feel there was an undertone against MS.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Michael Stewart is destined for bigger than BBC Scotland.

This 'ban' will probably help his career rather than hinder it.

Quote Originally Posted by Estupendo View Post
    There were numerous defences for what Michael Stewart said and the BBC lawyers would have been able to deal with it easily. Sevco would rather have control over the BBC's output than attempt legal action that would likely fail, and the BBC would rather meekly issue an apology and sideline a commentator than irritate Sevco and its supporters.
    The BBC can't allow people to be defamed on their shows.

Saying that the BBCs lawyers could deal with it easily is a guess. It's as likely that it was their lawyers who advised that an apology was required. We don't know.

We also don't know what evidence Michael Stewart has that Traynor deliberately "stokes division and sets fires" so he can benefit financially from resolving those issues, but that's a serious allegation.

If it wasn't Traynor who leaked the Morelos brakes story, and that's entirely possible, then the BBCs lawyers would be goosed. Traynor would undoubtedly argue that he wasn't responsible in any case.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    It's somewhere in the region of 70-80%. Should be more but hardly a 'small fraction'.
    The last i saw it was 55% in Scotland compared to 95% in Wales and 75% in N. Ireland

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...creen-experts/

The way they calculate it is also disingenuous as well, for instance Question Time is counted as BBC Scotland spend regardless of where it is broadcast from.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    The BBC can't allow people to be defamed on their shows.

Saying that the BBCs lawyers could deal with it easily is a guess. It's as likely that it was their lawyers who advised that an apology was required. We don't know.

We also don't know what evidence Michael Stewart has that Traynor deliberately "stokes division and sets fires" so he can benefit financially from resolving those issues, but that's a serious allegation.

If it wasn't Traynor who leaked the Morelos brakes story, and that's entirely possible, then the BBCs lawyers would be goosed. Traynor would undoubtedly argue that he wasn't responsible in any case.
    It's not a guess. The legal defences are clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Estupendo View Post
    It's not a guess. The legal defences are clear.
    Please explain those defences.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!