hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Michael Stewart and the BBC

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...-talks-1848257

Looks like MS has been given the bum’s rush from the BBC. Appalling, but understandable because they are distraught that they have to appear to keep up their boycott of Rangers or lose face. Given that Stewart is a far superior worker for the Beeb, in comparison to Gollum ( the culprit according to Rangers) I can’t understand why they don’t sack Gollum and kiss and make up with Rangers.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Looks like MS has been given the bum’s rush from the BBC. Appalling, but understandable because they are distraught that they have to appear to keep up their boycott of Rangers or lose face. Given that Stewart is a far superior worker for the Beeb, in comparison to Gollum ( the culprit according to Rangers) I can’t understand why they don’t sack Gollum and kiss and make up with Rangers.
    Meanwhile they're happy to employ Malky Mackay on Sunday night.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

Keeping up their boycott would surely thrive on Stewart staying put. Who the **** is Gollum?

Sportsound "editorial guidelines" = "dinny slate Ranjurs or anybody employed by Ranjurs".

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    You couldn’t make it up.

Thought the same. Absolute hypocrites.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Keeping up their boycott would surely thrive on Stewart staying put. Who the **** is Gollum?

Keep up. Gollum is the Rangers name for Chris McLaughlin, who is at the centre of the BBC/Rangers conflict.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Yeah who IS Gollum?

Kudos to Michael Stewart for calling out the Hun Bully

Still waiting on Sportscene to acknowledge Michael Stewart is missing and why?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    [/B]
    Keep up. Gollum is the Rangers name for Chris McLaughlin, who is at the centre of the BBC/Rangers conflict.
    Precious!

Left by mutual consent!
    I suspect a guarantee that he will not defame anybody on air in future will suffice. I also suspect it won't be forthcoming.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So the guidelines are "dont upset The Rangers"....another reason not to pay a license fee

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Yeah who IS Gollum?

Both presenters on “Off the Ball” have thrown in jokes of the situation - they’ll probably be getting a reminder of their expected conduct when broadcasting on the BBC as well.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    He reminds me of Jack in Still Game.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Someone should ask the BBC why he was allowed to rip the pish out of Levein on numerous occasions but when it comes to anything 'The Rangers' it becomes off topic?

Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    He reminds me of Jack in Still Game.

How dare you!

Jack would never stoop as low as Mad Malky. Tam, mibbe, but no Jack.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Wonder if folks would take (non-virtual) action in support of MS? Or is it just virtual bumping of gums signifying nothing?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Yeah who IS Gollum?

They have tonight.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    They have tonight.
    What did they say

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    What did they say
    A BBC spokesperson said: "Our editorial guidelines were not adhered to on Sportsound and we’re still in discussions to ensure there’s no repeat of that in future.

"While those discussions continue, Michael Stewart will not appear on any of our sports programmes."

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    How dare you!

Jack would never stoop as low as Mad Malky. Tam, mibbe, but no Jack.
    He wid! Mind he barred Victor from his ain pub!

When the Tories start to shut down the BBC by getting rid of the license fee I doubt I’m going to do much more than shrug my shoulders. Their approach to the Rangers scandal and the 2014 referendum means I don’t really care what happens to it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Green Badger's Avatar
    A BBC spokesperson said: "Our editorial guidelines were not adhered to on Sportsound and we’re still in discussions to ensure there’s no repeat of that in future.

"While those discussions continue, Michael Stewart will not appear on any of our sports programmes."
    so they are trying to get Michael Stewart to agree never to say anything bad about The Rangers or Traynor again, and he’s refusing to do so?? Bit of an impasse.

When you hear that it doesn’t sound like Michael Stewart will be returning to the BBC, and unlikely he would wish to either after a public dressing down.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonHFC View Post
    Someone should ask the BBC why he was allowed to rip the pish out of Levein on numerous occasions but when it comes to anything 'The Rangers' it becomes off topic?
    Did he ever state that Levein was a 'dangerous character' and a 'bully'? I like Stewart as a pundit and dislike Traynor a lot. A lot of what Stewart said was fair enough but there's no doubt that he went too far a couple of times.

I don't quite get why everyone is getting so exercised about this tbh. Stewart opened the BBC up to legal action and the BBC have clamped down on the risk of it happening again. I'm inclined to think that anyone saying the same words on the BBC about another person without the right of reply would get in deep ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Did he ever state that Levein was a 'dangerous character' and a 'bully'? I like Stewart as a pundit and dislike Traynor a lot. A lot of what Stewart said was fair enough but there's no doubt that he went too far a couple of times.

I don't quite get why everyone is getting so exercised about this tbh. Stewart opened the BBC up to legal action and the BBC have clamped down on the risk of it happening again. I'm inclined to think that anyone saying the same words on the BBC about another person without the right of reply would get in deep ****.
    Has there been legal action? I don’t think he did leave them open to it because Traynor could not afford to go to court. The discovery would hurt him and Sevco.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    When the Tories start to shut down the BBC by getting rid of the license fee I doubt I’m going to do much more than shrug my shoulders. Their approach to the Rangers scandal and the 2014 referendum means I don’t really care what happens to it now.

I wouldn't want to lose all of the BBC, because I think of BBC Scotland as being a seperate entity up here. And a bloody awful one at that. I only started listening to Sportsound again after the MS debacle, but switched off pretty quickly as normal service was resumed.

The bosses in London and Manchester obviously don't care what goes on up here and that's reflected in the poor and amateurish quality of it's output, across all categories, not just sport.

I’m not surprised talks aren’t ongoing.

Quotes there like they are talking to a naughty school boy, if I was him I’d be telling them to **** it aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Has there been legal action? I don’t think he did leave them open to it because Traynor could not afford to go to court. The discovery would hurt him and Sevco.

No idea. I wouldn't be surprised if there had been a threat of legal action, hence the profuse public apology. The BBC is unlikely to make a judgement on whether they can afford to defame someone or not, based on whether some dodgy stuff might be revealed in court. FWIW there's also Ofcom so it needn't necessarily end up in court.

Stewart is the only thing that makes that RanTic highlights show worth watching

Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    I wouldn't want to lose all of the BBC, because I think of BBC Scotland as being a seperate entity up here. And a bloody awful one at that. I only started listening to Sportsound again after the MS debacle, but switched off pretty quickly as normal service was resumed.

The bosses in London and Manchester obviously don't care what goes on up here and that's reflected in the poor and amateurish quality of it's output, across all categories, not just sport.
    The BBC only spends a small fraction of the money it raises in Scotland locally. Most of the money stays in London.