hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Var

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Football doesn't benefit from blatantly wrong decisions from referees.

There has to be a way to use technology to make it better.
    There is and I wish English referees would figure it out soon. They are alienating players, coaches, fans and they have got to know that FIFA are watching. Scotland and England didn't have a referee between them at the last World Cup and based on this season that isn't going to change for the next one.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Football never needs such scientifically accurate measuring. It’s not part of the sport like it would be in say athletics. Football as a spectacle is diminished by VAR and as a sport interruptions are not conducive to the ebb and flow of a 90 minute encounter.

Goal line technology is as far as we need to go with outside assistance for referees in my opinion.
    Offside is fairly similar to goal line technology imo except the line is constantly moving. Players crossing in an offside situation is a very difficult thing to judge and almost impossible if the linesman is a metre or two behind play. The technology needs to be quick to use and also quick to display the result, certainly no more than a minute.

Any time I think VAR would be a bad idea I think about Shaw, Griffith, Campbell and Forster. These were decisions that most of the ground knew were wrong immediately. No need for fancy lines on a screen. Those are the decisions I want VAR to fix. When it is debatable on first viewing go with the on field decision and get on with the game.

I also think the argument about a goal not being a goal and the celebration being lost cuts both ways. What about all those goals you don't celebrate because you see the linos flag. That flag may stay down if the lino is not absolutely sure and we get a bonus celebration and a goal that stands.

I want more science and that can happen without the mess the FA has created.. Has any research taken place to see how often refs and assistants get decisions right. Obviously I'm talking about definitive decisions, dives with no contact, clear offsides etc. If it is 5% I might live with those mistakes but if it is 20 % surely VAR would level the playing field, especially in Scotland.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    If we do get VAR up here with the decisions made in a remote location, where would it be?

I suggest a croft on Shetland. " Och Morag, come and help me with this. Morelas has just scored, but looks a yard offside. "

"Is it at Ibrox, Annie"? " Aye, it is that Morag".

"Och, just give the goal Annie, we're no wanting any more of those, ' I will find you and I will kill you', phone calls.
    I think what you are describing it this..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cTsvLjAzozE

VAR Stoneybridge stylee

Quote Originally Posted by JackHibs View Post
    What about, for offside decisions, if its going by such small margins like Giroud's toe being off. It should only be off if you score with that part of your body?

He scored with his head so does his toe being a mm off matter?

Not sure if thats a stupid suggestion..
    Maybe the test should be whether a significant proportion of the attacker's body is in an offside position. It would then just take a glance at the screen to make the decision and if there's any doubt the referee's decision takes precedence. Either that or VAR is only used to check whether the ref missed something clear and obvious - a dive, push or off the ball incident for example, or someone in a blatantly offside position. The delay just sucks all the passion out if the game IMO.

I keep thinking back to 2016 - "What a moment this is. It's Liam Henderson to deliveeerrrr………
    David Gray has put the ball in the net and now we have a wait to see whether the goal counts or not." I know that's not how it works at the moment but it will develop into that if we're not careful. An appeal system could well have the same result - "Rangers" would almost certainly have put in an appeal at that point, and I wouldn't blame them.

VAR has a place in football but I think it's being misused in the EPL at the moment.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Football doesn't benefit from blatantly wrong decisions from referees.

There has to be a way to use technology to make it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Offside is fairly similar to goal line technology imo except the line is constantly moving. Players crossing in an offside situation is a very difficult thing to judge and almost impossible if the linesman is a metre or two behind play. The technology needs to be quick to use and also quick to display the result, certainly no more than a minute.

Any time I think VAR would be a bad idea I think about Shaw, Griffith, Campbell and Forster. These were decisions that most of the ground knew were wrong immediately. No need for fancy lines on a screen. Those are the decisions I want VAR to fix. When it is debatable on first viewing go with the on field decision and get on with the game.

I also think the argument about a goal not being a goal and the celebration being lost cuts both ways. What about all those goals you don't celebrate because you see the linos flag. That flag may stay down if the lino is not absolutely sure and we get a bonus celebration and a goal that stands.

I want more science and that can happen without the mess the FA has created.. Has any research taken place to see how often refs and assistants get decisions right. Obviously I'm talking about definitive decisions, dives with no contact, clear offsides etc. If it is 5% I might live with those mistakes but if it is 20 % surely VAR would level the playing field, especially in Scotland.
    There’s a difference I think in clear goals like Shaw and Griffiths being ruled out in clear error to offside decisions being made on measurements too small to see with the naked eye and slight brushes of handball.

When offsides are so tight there is skill involved in beating and defending offsides, but nobody is skilful enough to make sure their feet or an elbow is not an inch too far forward. When arguing over offside decisions after games in the pub nobody ever talked in such small measurements.

Refereeing decisions in football was always more about interpretation rather than actual fact. Yes, VAR will ultimately make more of these decisions fact based rather than interpretation, but the thing just feels a bit sterile for me. The argument used in VAR’s defence will always be that the correct decisions will always be made, but with such small margins being forensically examined to do so is not an improvement to a sport like football.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    Maybe the test should be whether a significant proportion of the attacker's body is in an offside position. It would then just take a glance at the screen to make the decision and if there's any doubt the referee's decision takes precedence. Either that or VAR is only used to check whether the ref missed something clear and obvious - a dive, push or off the ball incident for example, or someone in a blatantly offside position. The delay just sucks all the passion out if the game IMO.

I keep thinking back to 2016 - "What a moment this is. It's Liam Henderson to deliveeerrrr………
    David Gray has put the ball in the net and now we have a wait to see whether the goal counts or not." I know that's not how it works at the moment but it will develop into that if we're not careful. An appeal system could well have the same result - "Rangers" would almost certainly have put in an appeal at that point, and I wouldn't blame them.

VAR has a place in football but I think it's being misused in the EPL at the moment.
    Interesting. They certainly would have challenged Stokesey's second goal ... and would have been looking for a penalty for Lewis on Waghorn.

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Interesting. They certainly would have challenged Stokesey's second goal ... and would have been looking for a penalty for Lewis on Waghorn.
    I think VAR would have picked up Lewis's 'push' on Waghorn without an appeal and would have awarded a penalty even though in my completely unbiased opinion Waghorn dived after the slightest touch by Lewis. I also think they would have won an appeal re Stokesy's second goal.

Be careful what you wish for?

Absolutely and under no circumstances should VAR be applied in the SPFL in it's current form. We've seen how certain clubs have benefited a great deal in England with selective reviews and rules being applied differently. As there is a undeniable bias towards two Glasgow clubs in particular, this would be a disaster.

It's a shame because of our chronically inept and definitely west leaning refs.

First Team Breakthrough
    If VAR was brought in to the Scottish Premiership I wouldn’t be able to make midweek home games as I would miss the last train back to Fife!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steelendhibs View Post
    If VAR was brought in to the Scottish Premiership I wouldn’t be able to make midweek home games as I would miss the last train back to Fife!
    I know you're being sarcastic, but I'd prefer to occasionally miss the last few minutes than miss the whole game.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    UEFA floating the old ‘daylight’ concept for offside...so any part of the striker is in line with the defender counts as onside.

While this makes a bit of sense do we not just end up with the same millimetre measurements but now with the last part of the strikers allowable goal scoring appendages rather than the first part?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    UEFA floating the old ‘daylight’ concept for offside...so any part of the striker is in line with the defender counts as onside.

While this makes a bit of sense do we not just end up with the same millimetre measurements but now with the last part of the strikers allowable goal scoring appendages rather than the first part?
    Yep, exactly the same issues.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

I’d say so, yes

Anyone that thinks VAR would help the crap level of referees we have in Scotland just need to look at the James Keatings decision today. Bewildering. The blindingly obvious is apparently, well, not blindingly obvious at all......

First Team Breakthrough
    I know you're being sarcastic, but I'd prefer to occasionally miss the last few minutes than miss the whole game.
    I hate leaving games early

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I don't think I'd want to keep going every week if VAR arrives in Scotland.

I've stopped watching the EPL (I still watch the EFL).

I watched a cracking movie on Netflix tonight then put on the Chelsea game to see the VAR disallow Giroud's goal.

I simply can't take to it. I listen to 5 live and Talksport a lot and feel my views are aligned with the majority of everyday fans who contribute to discussion around the subject.

I think I feel so crap about the thought of it in Scotland that I would stop going.
    It will never, in my opinion, be allowed in Scotland because it negates a key advantage [dodgy decisions in their favour] that Celtic and Sevco 2012 have over the other teams.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    The way they are using it in England is the problem, making a player offside by literally centimetres is nonsense.

They should introduce it in Scotland but keep the responsibility on the decision with the referee on the pitch.

The referee can choose to use the system whenever they want to review for red card decisions, penalty claims, if a ball has crossed the goal-line or an unflagged offside in the build up to a goal but none of this measuring lines etc, simply give him a replay at the side of the pitch and he makes the decision on that alone.

If the referee chooses not to review a decision themselves then each team gets two challenges per game that the manager or team captain can use to force the referee do a VAR review. If that review comes back with a no change in decision outcome then the team loses their challenge. If the referee does change the decision they get to keep the challenge. Once a team has lost both of their challenges they no longer have any rights to question the referees decisions for the remainder of the match.