hibs.net Messageboard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Controversial, but I think outwith Barcelona Pep cares more about the leagues than Europe. Anyone else agree?
    I think for almost all top managers, winning the Champions league is the ultimate, more than a domestic title. The only exception to this might be for a manager of a big club with a historical domestic hoodoo like Klopp, or Conte at Inter.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Many seem to think that an appeal will nullify the sentence but what City have done is pretty blatant and arrogant

I can see some significant impacts remaining on them. Plus a shot across the bows of other offenders

The common issue of overspending will persist

Tell the 30 odd thousand who stuck with Man City all the way into division 3 that they are a 'plastic club' ... absolute bloody nonsense.

As for UEFA's so called financial fair play, its nothing of the kind. It's inevitable bottom line is that by its very nature it keeps the big clubs at the top table and leaves 90% of Europe's clubs forever with their noses pressed against the window with no chance of ever joining the party, there is nothing fair about that.

Stopping clubs from borrowing or spending money they cant afford to pay back or don't have is fine. Extending that rule to preventing super rich owners from freely pumping in their own money ( so long as it isnt shown as a loan on the club's books ) certainly isn't. In what world could a club like PSG ever hope to compete with Real Madrid financially, in what world could Man City ever hope to compete with Man Utd financially, in what world could Hibs ever hope to compete with Celtic financially ... the list of examples goes on and on and on.

If UEFA were so concerned with fair play they would bring in an NFL style budget cap at a level which would bring a number of decent sized clubs into the fold .... a budget level which would put Hamburg into the same ball park as Bayern Munich or enable Roma to compete with Juventus for players, or Newcastle to compete with Liverpool. In the NFL you can pay your quarterback 20 million a year, but if you do that it gives you less to pay a running back or wide receiver coz you've blown a quarter of your budget .... in football that could mean you can pay a striker 10 million a year, but you can only bring in a left back willing to play for 1 million a year.

Whatever the case, what UEFA call financial fair play is an utter joke and I hope Man City take them to a proper court and kick their arse .... I'll leave with three little words:

JEAN MARC BOSMAN

Who was the last player that City sold for more than 30m?

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Tell the 30 odd thousand who stuck with Man City all the way into division 3 that they are a 'plastic club' ... absolute bloody nonsense.

As for UEFA's so called financial fair play, its nothing of the kind. It's inevitable bottom line is that by its very nature it keeps the big clubs at the top table and leaves 90% of Europe's clubs forever with their noses pressed against the window with no chance of ever joining the party, there is nothing fair about that.

Stopping clubs from borrowing or spending money they cant afford to pay back or don't have is fine. Extending that rule to preventing super rich owners from freely pumping in their own money ( so long as it isnt shown as a loan on the club's books ) certainly isn't. In what world could a club like PSG ever hope to compete with Real Madrid financially, in what world could Man City ever hope to compete with Man Utd financially, in what world could Hibs ever hope to compete with Celtic financially ... the list of examples goes on and on and on.

If UEFA were so concerned with fair play they would bring in an NFL style budget cap at a level which would bring a number of decent sized clubs into the fold .... a budget level which would put Hamburg into the same ball park as Bayern Munich or enable Roma to compete with Juventus for players, or Newcastle to compete with Liverpool. In the NFL you can pay your quarterback 20 million a year, but if you do that it gives you less to pay a running back or wide receiver coz you've blown a quarter of your budget .... in football that could mean you can pay a striker 10 million a year, but you can only bring in a left back willing to play for 1 million a year.

Whatever the case, what UEFA call financial fair play is an utter joke and I hope Man City take them to a proper court and kick their arse .... I'll leave with three little words:

JEAN MARC BOSMAN
    Do some digging into City and how they actually make money and how they actually operate. It's nothing to do with uefa trying to keep them down. They have been blatantly cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Do some digging into City and how they actually make money and how they actually operate. It's nothing to do with uefa trying to keep them down. They have been blatantly cheating.
    I'm not particularly bothered about defending Man City, short of having a great deal of sympathy for fans who have been supporting the club all their lives being lumped in with the hoards of glory hunters their success has inevitably attracted I am ambivalent to them at best.

Man City might be the focus, but my beef is with the whole concept of what UEFA regard as a system promoting 'fair play' in European football. If somebody can explain to me how a system which ties a club's ability to field a team to it's ability to generate income through trading will do anything other than ensure the Barcelonas and Real Madrids of this world dominate football forever I'm all ears.

Such a system far from promoting 'fairness' is the death knell for competition. Even the mighty Ajax have been relegated to also rans because the market they operate in and their mediocre worldwide appeal is far smaller than the Spanish and English giants, they could never hope to generate the sort of income these clubs can.

Here's why UEFA's 'fair play' model is counter productive. In the 80s Aberdeen were a phenomenon, dominating domestically and even winning a European trophy ... where did it get them? did that grow their brand to a club guaranteed even 20,000 at every game? ... no it didn't, they burned brightly and then lost their best players and manager to historically bigger clubs with more fans and more money and the few glory hunters they did attract gradually drifted away leaving practically no legacy. They are the poster boy of how incredibly difficult it is to overcome the historical dominance of the usual suspects by simply being well run or having on field success, and yet UEFA in their wisdom think that's how you will increase competitiveness in their competitions.

Unless the door is left open for an individual or business with money to burn to chuck money at a club then look forward to every league in Europe being dominated by the usual handful of clubs for ever more, and to the so called 'champions league' being dominated by the giants .... It always was, but at least before mega TV money and gigantic sponsorship deals a relative minnow had a chance, but not now. If that's not true answer me this ..... Where are the Malmos, the Nottingham Forests, the Celics, the Benficas, the Red Star Belgrades?

I'm all for fair play .... But if you are serious about it make it happen by bringing in a system which levels the playing field as they do in the USA, not by bringing in a system which does nothing more than cement in place to ability of Europe's giants to dominate football domestically and internationally.