hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 60 of 60
  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye, but how often would a new unionist bridge have been closed?
    It'd be open all day every day, just so they could send people home...Even to Jamaica.


    SCOTLAND CAN.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10,011
    Anybody know if the Severn bridge is still closed. Didn't see it on the National news.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  4. #33
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anybody know if the Severn bridge is still closed. Didn't see it on the National news.
    I don't remember it opening, but did anybody say it would never have to close due to adverse weather?

  5. #34
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    15,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't remember it opening, but did anybody say it would never have to close due to adverse weather?
    The Severn bridge opened last night after it was closed due to wind, something that will never happen to the Queensferry Crossing
    They tried to bury us, they didn't realise we were seeds.

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    72
    Posts
    17,936
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First time the Queensferry crossing has closed since opening 2 and a half years ago. Apparently the forth Road Bridge would have been closed on 30 occasions in the same period.
    This is the first time QC has been closed for this specific reason? This is it’s third winter. They’re talking about fitting ice sensors. I wonder if this is the thin edge of the wedge and we’ll find it closes more often in future winters as a precautionary measure.

  7. #36
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't remember it opening, but did anybody say it would never have to close due to adverse weather?
    For adverse weather, read high winds. The SNP even planned the adverse weather when the schools are on holidays, they cannae win. 🏆


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Severn bridge opened last night after it was closed due to wind, something that will never happen to the Queensferry Crossing
    Other bridges are available. 😂


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  9. #38
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    12,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote



    Quicker than I thought.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Davidson is bullish wee termagant. The only thing she has going for her is unionism.

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    20,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't remember it opening, but did anybody say it would never have to close due to adverse weather?
    I’m sure someone said ‘once in a generation’.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Davidson is bullish wee termagant. The only thing she has going for her is unionism.
    The QC was open on more occasions than Ruth Davidson's constituency office.

    Maybe we should be asking what she's doing for the day job.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  12. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The QC was open on more occasions than Ruth Davidson's constituency office.

    Maybe we should be asking what she's doing for the day job.
    Fitting for the ermines today I suspect!

  13. #42
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m sure someone said ‘once in a generation’.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, they were misquoted, and were not representing the views of the bridge builders, merely a personal opinion.

  14. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the first time QC has been closed for this specific reason? This is it’s third winter. They’re talking about fitting ice sensors. I wonder if this is the thin edge of the wedge and we’ll find it closes more often in future winters as a precautionary measure.
    Who knows, the fact that this is the first time it has closed would suggest the current conditions (combination of high winds, snow and rain) are a bit unusual.

  15. #44
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    12,151
    Not much good if it has to close when there's a storm.
    Let's see how they cope with Dennis at the weekend.

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    15,560
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not much good if it has to close when there's a storm.
    Let's see how they cope with Dennis at the weekend.
    I wonder how folk would have coped when there was no Queensferry Crossing and still had to rely on the 56 year old road bridge that closed at the slightest wee breeze?
    They tried to bury us, they didn't realise we were seeds.


  17. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait till Ruth & Cole-Hamilton find out!

  18. #48
    resident moaning git DaveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    50
    Posts
    30,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a plonker 😂

  19. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    ..and he has the audacity to believe that he is best positioned to "take on" the SNP.

  20. #50
    Just heard they will look at using the old bridge as a last resort in future. How come it's taken all this disruption for it to even be considered?

  21. #51
    Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    4,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just heard they will look at using the old bridge as a last resort in future. How come it's taken all this disruption for it to even be considered?
    Probably because in 99.9% of weather conditions that would have closed the old bridge the new bridge would remain open. The last few days have been a freak weather wise for the QF crossing. I think I read that over the two and a half years it's been open the old bridge would have been shut at least partially thirty odd times

  22. #52
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    55
    Posts
    10,305
    It is absolutely amazing how, in the context of all the utter bollocks generated by constitutional politics, people will focus on - and believe - absolutely anything on both sides.

    They're just two bridges. One is old and the other is new. There's been some extreme weather. They don't vote, they don't have opinions and neither of them are either for or against independence.

  23. #53
    Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    4,630
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is absolutely amazing how, in the context of all the utter bollocks generated by constitutional politics, people will focus on - and believe - absolutely anything on both sides.

    They're just two bridges. One is old and the other is new. There's been some extreme weather. They don't vote, they don't have opinions and neither of them are either for or against independence.
    You are of course correct in what you say. So why were the anti SNP brigade so quick to try to lay the boot into an inanimate object that was caught out by unforseen circumstances similar to the ones that shut a whole heap of similar inanimate objects across the UK and abroad? For me it once again it comes back to the negativity from the unionist side of the debate. They struggle to come up with positive positions on any policy but continually just go with the SNP bad mantra. If they had any positives then some of these floating voters who appear to be siding with yes at the moment may be persuaded back but it is just a barrage of negativity.

  24. #54
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,977
    I've no idea how you can politicise an inanimate object but if people/groups/organisations are willing to take credit for it when things go well, then they must also be willing to take the pantomime boo/hiss when things don't fair so well.
    The new crossing was necessary and vital and although it could be argued that John Swinney was "getting on with the day job" when he signed it off, it was something he had to do. The FRB was barely 50% through its expected lifespan when recalculations of actual load coupled with projected wire failure meant the new crossing had to happen sooner rather than later.

    As for closures, I've never experienced the FRB to be closed for more than 24hrs because of weather, joint/Union failure, but not weather. And 30 times in 2 years? I must have been driving over a different crossing,,,,
    As One Day Soon alludes to above, they're bridges, nothing more, nothing less. The FRB done it's job, the newer QC will continue that job.
    If it has to close for H&S reasons then so be it.

    Neither of the bridges will come close to the original crossing in my opinion, the rail bridge,,,,s'pose we've got Gladstone's Liberals to thank for that 🙄

  25. #55
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,862
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ,,,s'pose we've got Gladstone's Liberals to thank for that 🙄

    ....and the Irish Navvie Hibs fans who built it.

  26. #56
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    55
    Posts
    10,305
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are of course correct in what you say. So why were the anti SNP brigade so quick to try to lay the boot into an inanimate object that was caught out by unforseen circumstances similar to the ones that shut a whole heap of similar inanimate objects across the UK and abroad? For me it once again it comes back to the negativity from the unionist side of the debate. They struggle to come up with positive positions on any policy but continually just go with the SNP bad mantra. If they had any positives then some of these floating voters who appear to be siding with yes at the moment may be persuaded back but it is just a barrage of negativity.

    You seriously think that this and other examples like it is just all down to the Unionist side being negative? The nat side was just as quick to try and contrast it with the pre-SNP bridge. It's all farcical.

    Nats try to portray everything Scottish in a positive light and everything British in a negative light. Unionists do exactly the same in the other direction. They both end up coming across as cheeks of the same ar5e.

  27. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably because in 99.9% of weather conditions that would have closed the old bridge the new bridge would remain open. The last few days have been a freak weather wise for the QF crossing. I think I read that over the two and a half years it's been open the old bridge would have been shut at least partially thirty odd times
    Well why hadn't they even considered using the old bridge if it was suitable? Must be better to have it as an option than the detour.

  28. #58
    Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    4,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well why hadn't they even considered using the old bridge if it was suitable? Must be better to have it as an option than the detour.
    Not sure but I think there was ongoing works in it so couldn't be used. Also still doubtful that any high sided vehicles would have been able to cross. Anyway, storm in a teacup, pardon the pun. Sad that something done for the right reasons in extenuating circumstances has caused such ****storm of nonsense

  29. #59
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    12,251
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure but I think there was ongoing works in it so couldn't be used. Also still doubtful that any high sided vehicles would have been able to cross. Anyway, storm in a teacup, pardon the pun. Sad that something done for the right reasons in extenuating circumstances has caused such ****storm of nonsense
    When Tories start sounding off on crap like this I can't but help think of Grenfell, Hillsborough and other complete ****ups that absolutely dwarf the relevance of a bridge being closed for safety reasons during a mega storm. I'd understand the outrage if the bridge had collapsed with cars crossing it but not just because it was closed in extreme conditions. A bit of perspective is needed here.

  30. #60
    @hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    8,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well why hadn't they even considered using the old bridge if it was suitable? Must be better to have it as an option than the detour.
    My understanding was that the old bridge, in this situation, had one side closed with the tarmac up and the gap closers removed. If they’d had to split the lanes on the remaining side, to allow 2 way traffic, it will still have caused congestion and severely hampered the free flow of public transport links.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved