hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 432 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The recovery rate is encouraging enough for me to say that reports of the end of mankind appear greatly exaggerated.

Have they got it in the US yet?
    Yeah, think the US have over 60 cases.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    I keep reading in the SNP & Independence threads or hearing on the BBC that it's a shambles
    I think they are referring to the queues at the RVS coffee shop, rather the ability to save lives. Even then the queues are bigger in England.
    Last edited by Cataplana; 27-02-2020 at 01:36 PM.

I agree, a sensible and dispassionate approach to a potential danger is a good way to go about it.

I support the measures in place at the moment, and the fact we have testing centres, and the ability to open "fever hospitals" if the need arises should be reassuring.

Keep Calm and Carry On.
    I read a report earlier that said we weren't ready, can't cope and that if it does take off people will be turned away from hospital and sent home.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I read a report earlier that said we weren't ready, can't cope and that if it does take off people will be turned away from hospital and sent home.
    I would take that with a massive pinch of salt.

Yeah, think the US have over 60 cases.

Worth watching what happens there. A country with a far inferior public health system. If they can contain it, we don't have much to worry about.
    Last edited by Cataplana; 27-02-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Worth watching what happens there. A country with a far inferior public health system. If they can contain it, we don't have much to worry about.
    Large, warm, air-conditioned buildings full of ill people arenít always the best places to take highly contagious and potentially fatal viruses.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Large, warm, air-conditioned buildings full of ill people arenít always the best places to take highly contagious and potentially fatal viruses.
    I'm sure the infectious diseases departments at hospitals will be aware of that, and develop solutions that can minimise transmission. It's what they do.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm as concerned as anybody about the ‚Äčpotentiar‚Äč for a killer disease ripping through the population. It makes sense though to try and put things in perspective, in terms of what is most likely, and what is least likely.

When panic spreads, there is a tendency to catastrophise the possibilities. We spend our time analysing the worst case scenarios, and ignore what is actually happening.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ophic-thinking

@hibs.net private member
    Im a bit out of the system just now but I believe NHS Scotland has prepared, I know theyve employed nurses to test for it in the community and believe theres a kind of drive through area for testing so people dont have to enter the building. Most people will be better off at home.anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Nobody knows for sure why flu spreads more widely in winter but among the possibilities are (from wikipedia flu page):
    • People are indoors more often during the winter, they are in close contact more often, and this promotes transmission from person to person.
    • A seasonal decline in the amount of ultraviolet radiation may reduce the likelihood of the virus being damaged or killed by direct radiation damage or indirect effects (i. e. ozone concentration) increasing the probability of infection.
    • Cold temperatures lead to drier air, which may dehydrate mucous membranes, preventing the body from effectively defending against respiratory virus infections.[2][3][4]
    • Viruses are preserved in colder temperatures due to slower decomposition, so they linger longer on exposed surfaces (doorknobs, countertops, etc.).
    • In nations where children do not go to school in the summer, there is a more pronounced beginning to flu season, coinciding with the start of public school. It is thought that the day care environment is perfect for the spread of illness.
    • Vitamin D production from Ultraviolet-B in the skin changes with the seasons and affects the immune system.
    Singapore temp is in range of 28-33c all year long and we get 2 flu Seasons, the northern hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere flu (comes with winter in each) because of its location on the equator.
    I believe from a medical expert on SARS that indeed sunshine will work to kill this virus off but of course sunshine doesnít tend to make it inside your office for example where the temp is likely the same all year round. That said, the summer sunshine should help dampen this down a bit at least.

I'm sure the infectious diseases departments at hospitals will be aware of that, and develop solutions that can minimise transmission. It's what they do.
    It is, but what is the largest outbreak of an infectious disease that any of these hospitals have had to deal with?

There's only so much that they can reasonably be expected to be prepared for - and it is possible that certain authority figures are coming across as twitchy (which is preferable to being totally complacent) because they realise this might be bigger than we are prepared for.

Might be bigger, but probably won't be mind.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It is, but what is the largest outbreak of an infectious disease that any of these hospitals have had to deal with?

There's only so much that they can reasonably be expected to be prepared for - and it is possible that certain authority figures are coming across as twitchy (which is preferable to being totally complacent) because they realise this might be bigger than we are prepared for.

Might be bigger, but probably won't be mind.
    I agree, it's maybe naivety on my part, but I have great faith in the skill of NHS staff, and of the British to manage crises.

It's all a state of mind at the moment. When they stop reporting the number of new cases every day on the news, then we'll know how the crisis is being managed.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

Trump has come out and said that some US citizens won't be able to afford treatment. Their pharmaceutical industry will be rubbing their hands in glee at the thought of the rise in demand for their already extortionate medical supply prices.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The main worry in my house just now is Whooping Cough not Corona Virus. Itís highly contagious and my 26 year old son had it confirmed by doc visiting the door with test results and Environmental Health also contacted him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Trump has come out and said that some US citizens won't be able to afford treatment. Their pharmaceutical industry will be rubbing their hands in glee at the thought of the rise in demand for their already extortionate medical supply prices.
    Is he proud of that?

Is he proud of that?
    Probably.

@hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Dow Jones has dropped about 10% this week already. We are heading into a recession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Dow Jones has dropped about 10% this week already. We are heading into a recession.

How does that work?
    Last edited by Cataplana; 28-02-2020 at 08:33 AM.

This outbreak is also very contagiously being spread by social media and an overhyped media. 24/7 and a journalistic desire to build and build the story. Headlines mostly not reflecting the reality.

Iím not downplaying it in any way. But the global panic is way overdone.

And for canny investors the 10% US stock market drop will probably rebound later this year when everyone calms down.

Probably 😀

@hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar

How does that work?
    Not sure what you mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    This outbreak is also very contagiously being spread by social media and an overhyped media. 24/7 and a journalistic desire to build and build the story. Headlines mostly not reflecting the reality.

And for canny investors the 10% US stock market drop will probably rebound later this year when everyone calms down.

Probably 😀
    I said earlier, when they stop giving you daily updates on the number of new cases, that will be the time to start worrying. As it stands, one new case in a population of 40,000,000 is the top story on the news, which can accelerate the anxiety that we are seeing the first stages of a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post

Probably 😀
    It's noticeable that as soon as any other relatively big news breaks the virus drops to about the 4th or 5th item. It's an easy go to when there is little else to report.

In the last week I wonder how many people have contracted and died from seasonal flu in Europe. It's almost certainly a number multiple times greater than the story that is headline news.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I think 138 people died of the flu in Britain last year yet can't remember any news stories about it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Bit of perspective - this is what Ryanair are advising:

COVID1928 Feb 2020 ē 10:54There is currently no change to advice for airlines. Our flights are operating as normal and all our terms and conditions apply.
    We will continue to monitor the situation and follow all public health instructions that are issued.

I see that that's Wales and Northern Ireland with confirmed cases. Only matter of time till we get it.

Hardly a shock considering the founder and chairman is a total cock.

I remember a couple of years ago when the 'beast from the east' hit a well known 'classy' city centre Edinburgh bar and restaurant advised a pregnant employee that she should walk to work from Newhaven. She was told if she didn't she would not be paid and be subject to a disciplinary.

Wouldn't it be very sad if an employee dragged their sick self to work, infected him and he didn't recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I remember a couple of years ago when the 'beast from the east' hit a well known 'classy' city centre Edinburgh bar and restaurant advised a pregnant employee that she should walk to work from Newhaven. She was told if she didn't she would not be paid and be subject to a disciplinary.
    Loves to go for the self defeating move doesn't he? If he has any staff left after the Europeans have gone home, they'll be giving each other coronavirus because they can't afford to self-isolate.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I can see why companies will adopt that policy to be honest. Too many folk will try to take the pish otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I can see why companies will adopt that policy to be honest. Too many folk will try to take the pish otherwise.
    Yip - it's a difficult balancing act. Absolutely guaranteed you'd have loads of people going off on "2 weeks isolation" if they were to be paid.