hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 431 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 12930

Thread: Coronavirus

  1. #91
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    19,861
    Some of the panic created by this has been ridiculous, itís not Ebola FFS. The recovery rate is fine, like every other similar situation some people go into full blown panic mode.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #92
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    12,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of the panic created by this has been ridiculous, itís not Ebola FFS. The recovery rate is fine, like every other similar situation some people go into full blown panic mode.
    I think if you're of a certain age and have cardiovascular issues or other underlying issues, then I can kind of understand people worrying about a disease that's sweeping the world and coming ever nearer. Even if you have vulnerable relatives it might feel threatening.

  4. #93
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    19,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think if you're of a certain age and have cardiovascular issues or other underlying issues, then I can kind of understand people worrying about a disease that's sweeping the world and coming ever nearer. Even if you have vulnerable relatives it might feel threatening.
    I get all that but it really goes beyond that with plenty of folk, who make it sound as if anyone getting it is certain to die. Had to tell a few folk today to get a ****** grip.

  5. #94
    Testimonial Due Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I get all that but it really goes beyond that with plenty of folk, who make it sound as if anyone getting it is certain to die. Had to tell a few folk today to get a ****** grip.
    If you are over 60 it currently has an estimated mortality rate of around 4% so 1 in 25 people who get it will die. It also appears to be highly contagious so I can see why people are concerned.

    Although I think it will eventually turn out to have a far lower mortality rate.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 26-02-2020 at 07:43 PM.

  6. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of the panic created by this has been ridiculous, itís not Ebola FFS. The recovery rate is fine, like every other similar situation some people go into full blown panic mode.
    I think the fear among many is the WHO have suggested we are not far from the point when it becomes an endemic virus. While something like SARS was far more deadly, it was relatively quickly contained. This is increasingly looking likely to be another virus we are going to have to deal with on an ongoing basis.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  7. #96
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    12,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the fear among many is the WHO have suggested we are not far from the point when it becomes an endemic virus. While something like SARS was far more deadly, it was relatively quickly contained. This is increasingly looking likely to be another virus we are going to have to deal with on an ongoing basis.
    Decent explanation here.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/607000/

  8. #97
    I see that that's folk who have returned from Tenerife to the UK starting to be diagnosed with it.

    And so it begins.

  9. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And so it begins.
    Only a matter of time now till Johnson's on the tellybox reminding us that this great country of ours won two world wars and that there's no need to pay too much attention to the so-called experts' warnings, as Matt Hancock is doing such a superb job of keeping us all safe.

  10. #99
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see that that's folk who have returned from Tenerife to the UK starting to be diagnosed with it.

    And so it begins.
    Do you get a flu jab every winter?

  11. #100
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    19,861
    No confirmed cases in Scotland yet,

  12. #101
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No confirmed cases in Scotland yet,
    Chief Medical Officer says it's "inevitable."

  13. #102
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,584
    I don't think we're far away from this being a pretty big test for "life as we know it".

    This disease is now beyond being contained imo and the current measures in place have no hope of containing it, so it's only a matter of time before it is declared a pandemic.

    It probably could have been contained, but that would have involved dramatic, arguably draconian measures and the benefits and costs of containing this disease will have to be weighed up against the impact of the global economy potentially grinding to a halt.

    There are potentially huge ramifications to come - what happens if businesses who deal with large numbers of people coming and going and coming into close contact with each other (hairdressers, dental practices, gyms etc) have to close, and ALL make claims on business continuity policies? What effect will that have on the insurance industry?

    I'm not convinced it is all that much nastier that "proper" flu (which is in itself horrible, and all of the minor variations of it) but it is starting to look like it is going to have to just work it's way through the global population for a year and a bit before a vaccination can be found and possibly added to the flu vac. In the meantime the old, the weak, the immunocompromised, the poor in the poorest of countries will be very afraid and those of us who don't necessary fall into those categories should too.

  14. #103
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think we're far away from this being a pretty big test for "life as we know it".

    This disease is now beyond being contained imo and the current measures in place have no hope of containing it, so it's only a matter of time before it is declared a pandemic.

    It probably could have been contained, but that would have involved dramatic, arguably draconian measures and the benefits and costs of containing this disease will have to be weighed up against the impact of the global economy potentially grinding to a halt.

    There are potentially huge ramifications to come - what happens if businesses who deal with large numbers of people coming and going and coming into close contact with each other (hairdressers, dental practices, gyms etc) have to close, and ALL make claims on business continuity policies? What effect will that have on the insurance industry?

    I'm not convinced it is all that much nastier that "proper" flu (which is in itself horrible, and all of the minor variations of it) but it is starting to look like it is going to have to just work it's way through the global population for a year and a bit before a vaccination can be found and possibly added to the flu vac. In the meantime the old, the weak, the immunocompromised, the poor in the poorest of countries will be very afraid and those of us who don't necessary fall into those categories should too.
    How afraid are you of "normal flu." Panic seems to be the biggest enemy here.

  15. #104
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chief Medical Officer says it's "inevitable."
    There will have been too many people in Italy for the rugby at the weekend, and people who will have been in direct or indirect contact with people from that hotel in Tenerife for it to avoid coming to Scotland.

  16. #105
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There will have been too many people in Italy for the rugby at the weekend, and people who will have been in direct or indirect contact with people from that hotel in Tenerife for it to avoid coming to Scotland.
    We've got good facilities in place to cope.

  17. #106
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How afraid are you of "normal flu." Panic seems to be the biggest enemy here.
    Petrified.

    I think it is a minor mutation (natural or man made) away from being able to wipe out the human race.

    As it stands I get the vaccination every year and would encourage everyone else to do so.

  18. #107
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We've got good facilities in place to cope.
    Tell me about them.

  19. #108
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Petrified.

    I think it is a minor mutation (natural or man made) away from being able to wipe out the human race.

    As it stands I get the vaccination every year and would encourage everyone else to do so.
    There is no harm in a cautious approach. Why do you say it's a minor mutation away?

  20. #109
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tell me about them.
    Ninewells, Crosshouse, Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, etc.

    In short a world class public health system.

  21. #110
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    15,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think we're far away from this being a pretty big test for "life as we know it".

    This disease is now beyond being contained imo and the current measures in place have no hope of containing it, so it's only a matter of time before it is declared a pandemic.

    It probably could have been contained, but that would have involved dramatic, arguably draconian measures and the benefits and costs of containing this disease will have to be weighed up against the impact of the global economy potentially grinding to a halt.

    There are potentially huge ramifications to come - what happens if businesses who deal with large numbers of people coming and going and coming into close contact with each other (hairdressers, dental practices, gyms etc) have to close, and ALL make claims on business continuity policies? What effect will that have on the insurance industry?

    I'm not convinced it is all that much nastier that "proper" flu (which is in itself horrible, and all of the minor variations of it) but it is starting to look like it is going to have to just work it's way through the global population for a year and a bit before a vaccination can be found and possibly added to the flu vac. In the meantime the old, the weak, the immunocompromised, the poor in the poorest of countries will be very afraid and those of us who don't necessary fall into those categories should too.
    Are you being serious? I saw on the news last night that 81% of people who catch it only have mild symptoms and donít need medical attention. This is being completely blown out of proportion imo.

    United we stand here....

  22. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you being serious? I saw on the news last night that 81% of people who catch it only have mild symptoms and don’t need medical attention. This is being completely blown out of proportion imo.
    If 50% of the population gets it and 0.5% of them die (that's kind of pessimistic but not extreme numbers), that would be 1.5M deaths in the UK. Flu kills an average of 17000. It has the potential to be a really big deal.

    Edit: d'oh! 150000 deaths. But you get the point.
    Last edited by JeMeSouviens; 27-02-2020 at 12:01 PM.

  23. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you being serious? I saw on the news last night that 81% of people who catch it only have mild symptoms and donít need medical attention. This is being completely blown out of proportion imo.
    I wonder if the panic about this is actually helping the spread, not just of this virus but of the regulars colds and flu we see every year.

    People who have a temperature, sore throat, cough, sneezing, aches etc would normally just take a couple of days under the duvet, get some Lemsip down them then get back to work. This being headline news is probably driving people to get on buses, walk down the street etc and present at their doctors, A&E and so on. That's bringing them into contact with people they otherwise would never have been near.

    It's clearly a pretty serious situation but a lot of the fear is driven by the unknowns. I'm currently sitting in an office with a woman who's son has just returned from Costa Adeje and another who has just returned from Rome for the rugby. I can't say I feel at any real risk. The spread seems inevitable and in time the panic around it will settle down and we'll deal with it in the way we have colds and flu for years. Yes some people will get more seriously ill but that's the case with almost every illness that is mild in the majority.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  24. #113
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,584
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you being serious? I saw on the news last night that 81% of people who catch it only have mild symptoms and don’t need medical attention. This is being completely blown out of proportion imo.
    That's part of the problem.

    SARS was deadly - meaning that people were generally killed by it before they got the chance to infect anyone else.

    This seems to be highly contagious and can be spread before any symptoms are experienced, therefore the potential for it to affect vast numbers of people is high. Because we are now all so interconnected it is almost impossible to contain it in any way. It is worse to have a weaker virus that infects billions and kills a smaller proportion than it is to have a strong one that kills its host before it has a chance to pass it on.

    I also read about the virus having the potential to reinfect people and for it to be more powerful a second time - the idea of which is terrifying.

    Modern science is great, but (for very good reasons) there will be proper process to go through before any vaccination is developed.

    I hope this turns out to be a storm in a teacup but the potential for disruption is massive. It is the responsibility of government to protect us from infection and keep us safe but it is also their responsibility for business to continue as normal and to keep the economy to keep ticking over - it will be interesting to see how they balance the two, and whether we end up being good at taking advice from experts (and whether or not experts will be allowed to continue to give advice).

  25. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you get a flu jab every winter?
    Yes, Why?

  26. #115
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    16,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if the panic about this is actually helping the spread, not just of this virus but of the regulars colds and flu we see every year.

    People who have a temperature, sore throat, cough, sneezing, aches etc would normally just take a couple of days under the duvet, get some Lemsip down them then get back to work. This being headline news is probably driving people to get on buses, walk down the street etc and present at their doctors, A&E and so on. That's bringing them into contact with people they otherwise would never have been near.

    It's clearly a pretty serious situation but a lot of the fear is driven by the unknowns. I'm currently sitting in an office with a woman who's son has just returned from Costa Adeje and another who has just returned from Rome for the rugby. I can't say I feel at any real risk. The spread seems inevitable and in time the panic around it will settle down and we'll deal with it in the way we have colds and flu for years. Yes some people will get more seriously ill but that's the case with almost every illness that is mild in the majority.
    Would you feel more at risk in the office if you had an underlying health condition? Assuming you dont of course. It is resulting in pneumonia so anybody with copd or even asthma could be at risk not even going down the chemo and immune disorder route

    I posted last night and deleted it as i felt it was too personal but one thing i did say was what if it gets into care homes, not just for the elderly but for any vulnerable group? How are we going to staff hospitals? The knock on effect from vital operations being cancelled due to staff illness is huge.

  27. #116
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, Why?
    I was wondering what your attitude to the risk of getting the flu is. I really wanted to reassure you that this virus doesn't appear to be any more serious than the flu.

  28. #117
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by J.S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would you feel more at risk in the office if you had an underlying health condition? Assuming you dont of course. It is resulting in pneumonia so anybody with copd or even asthma could be at risk not even going down the chemo and immune disorder route

    I posted last night and deleted it as i felt it was too personal but one thing i did say was what if it gets into care homes, not just for the elderly but for any vulnerable group? How are we going to staff hospitals? The knock on effect from vital operations being cancelled due to staff illness is huge.
    What has been the experience in China, have any of these things happened?

  29. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was wondering what your attitude to the risk of getting the flu is. I really wanted to reassure you that this virus doesn't appear to be any more serious than the flu.
    I think that might be right - but there is no jab and not likely to be for at least a year. I'm not worried for myself but surely most of us have relatives who regularly are advised to get flu jabs to protect them?

  30. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if the panic about this is actually helping the spread, not just of this virus but of the regulars colds and flu we see every year.

    People who have a temperature, sore throat, cough, sneezing, aches etc would normally just take a couple of days under the duvet, get some Lemsip down them then get back to work. This being headline news is probably driving people to get on buses, walk down the street etc and present at their doctors, A&E and so on. That's bringing them into contact with people they otherwise would never have been near.

    It's clearly a pretty serious situation but a lot of the fear is driven by the unknowns. I'm currently sitting in an office with a woman who's son has just returned from Costa Adeje and another who has just returned from Rome for the rugby. I can't say I feel at any real risk. The spread seems inevitable and in time the panic around it will settle down and we'll deal with it in the way we have colds and flu for years. Yes some people will get more seriously ill but that's the case with almost every illness that is mild in the majority.
    A woman that my wife works with has recently returned from Italy. She has started to come down with flu like symptoms and has phoned work to tell them she is to stay off and isolate herself. Problem is she already been around her family (including her sister) and been into work a couple of days. The sister also works in the same office and has told my wife she isn't feeling well. My wife is now knitting herself. I've told her to get her boss told and to get this woman sent home.

  31. #120
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    16,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What has been the experience in China, have any of these things happened?
    I dont know but I worked in a care home setting where swine flu caused this issue and we lost a few patients to it.
    Last edited by J.S; 27-02-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved