hibs.net Messageboard

Page 104 of 436 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 13063

Thread: Coronavirus

  1. #3091
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's an interesting read. The part about the information recorded as cause of death is worthy of note.

    My Granny passed away almost 5 years ago. Her cause of death was recorded as a lower respiratory tract infection but that was, to all intents and purposes, nonsense. She died because of vascular dementia caused by years of suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, the side effects of various opiate medicines she had been using, malnutrition due to her rewusal to eat and the fact she was 84 years old. The respiratory infection was the final blow but had it not been fatal a UTI, another chest infection or the flu would have bcome along within days or weeks and the cause of death may have been recorded differently.

    Without knowing more about what 'underlying health conditions' actually covers it's hard to draw too many conclusions but it's interesting there appears to have been no noticeable spike in the death rate thus far.
    I am sorry for you about your Granny.

    It is a good post. Recording the cause of death with elderly relatives with multiple conditions is a lottery. I am not blaming clinicians but so often it seems a case of multiple choice as to what goes on the record, and that seems wrong, just wrong.

    We are an advanced society and we should be better than this. I think clinicians and managers need to man up, if you will excuse the expression, and be stronger in being clear about a definitive cause of death.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #3092
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    58
    Posts
    32,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am sorry for you about your Granny.

    It is a good post. Recording the cause of death with elderly relatives with multiple conditions is a lottery. I am not blaming clinicians but so often it seems a case of multiple choice as to what goes on the record, and that seems wrong, just wrong.

    We are an advanced society and we should be better than this. I think clinicians and managers need to man up, if you will excuse the expression, and be stronger in being clear about a definitive cause of death.
    I know of quite few older people, friends of mine, who lots older relatives. They had a wee fall, taken into hospital and died of pneumonia

  4. #3093
    Testimonial Due Hibby Bairn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They changed the reporting time yesterday. IIRC we used to report deaths up to 1pm each day, whereas now itís up to 7am. Thatís why yesterdayís numbers were lower and todayís higher....the Ďrealí number each day would have been c75.
    Todayís figure was for a full 24 hour period (5pm 24th to 5pm 25th). Yesterdayís were only for an 8 hour period (9am 24th to 5pm 24th). Going forward it will be 5pm to 5pm and be released the following day at 2pm.

  5. #3094
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am sorry for you about your Granny.

    It is a good post. Recording the cause of death with elderly relatives with multiple conditions is a lottery. I am not blaming clinicians but so often it seems a case of multiple choice as to what goes on the record, and that seems wrong, just wrong.

    We are an advanced society and we should be better than this. I think clinicians and managers need to man up, if you will excuse the expression, and be stronger in being clear about a definitive cause of death.
    I'm not so sure.

    Is it not making a bit of unnecessary extra work, when these deaths are often multifactorial? Is it appropriate to spend time, effort and resource filtering out one main cause of death when in fact there are a few? It just so happens that one bumps you over the edge.

    I say resource - are our resources not better spent trying to save the living than explaining the cause of death of the dead?

    (Sorry for a post that may seem callous or insensitive, but I think it is an important point).
    Last edited by Smartie; 26-03-2020 at 08:14 PM.

  6. #3095
    The 8pm applause gives you a warm glow.
    I'll do the same in 5 minutes when my careworker wife arrives home from her shift.

  7. #3096
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    38,399
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The 8pm applause gives you a warm glow.
    I'll do the same in 5 minutes when my careworker wife arrives home from her shift.
    It does although I was a bit concerned about the lack of distancing between people in one of the streets they showed although most streets seemed to be observing it.

    It was a nice show of support.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  8. #3097
    @hibs.net private member NaeTechnoHibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh & West Lothian
    Posts
    6,723
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Naw PSN ID: Naw Wii Code: Naw
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The 8pm applause gives you a warm glow.
    I'll do the same in 5 minutes when my careworker wife arrives home from her shift.
    Loads out around me

    Well done your wife and my nieces

    Doctor to be (next month) and nurse respectively

    Sister in law is a very brainy scientist and has been asked to go back to lab work

  9. #3098
    Looks like the Argentine quarantine is going to extend to the middle of April at least, with a possiblity to the end of April.

    Just hoping I can actually switch Airbnbs on April 1st as planned

  10. #3099
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    19,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It does although I was a bit concerned about the lack of distancing between people in one of the streets they showed although most streets seemed to be observing it.

    It was a nice show of support.
    Did they not just stay in their own paths or driveways? My street had loads of folk out but we were all within our own confines.

  11. #3100
    Coaching Staff hfc rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,534
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: RD4138MU
    India not mucking about with anyone that ainít isolating

    https://mobile.twitter.com/covid2019...45575782440960

  12. #3101
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    38,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did they not just stay in their own paths or driveways? My street had loads of folk out but we were all within our own confines.
    One particular street they showed on the BBC looked like it had several groups of people all standing close together.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  13. #3102
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    34
    Posts
    15,662
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    India not mucking about with anyone that ainít isolating

    https://mobile.twitter.com/covid2019...45575782440960
    Same in some African countries too.

    In all honesty, I'd support the Police here taking their truncheons out and beating the **** out of people continuing to ignore Government advice too...those folks who decided to have a BBQ in Coventry, for example.

  14. #3103
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The 8pm applause gives you a warm glow.
    I'll do the same in 5 minutes when my careworker wife arrives home from her shift.
    Loads around me as well. Just about managed to resist the temptation to pile into the neighbours for a party!

  15. #3104
    Testimonial Due Hibby Bairn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same in some African countries too.

    In all honesty, I'd support the Police here taking their truncheons out and beating the **** out of people continuing to ignore Government advice too...those folks who decided to have a BBQ in Coventry, for example.
    First real test this weekend and then into next week with lighter nights.

    I was out for a run at half six and streets were empty including the usually heaving Maybury Road and Barnton junction.

    Hope everyone maintains this over next two weeks. Then see where we are at.

  16. #3105
    Coaching Staff -Jonesy-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Old Toon
    Posts
    5,751
    America now more infections than China, in all of three weeks!!!

  17. #3106
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if it helps but a member of my family in their early 30's had all the earlier symptoms but not breathing difficulties, the 111 people were accurate in the advice they gave and after 7 days he felt better.

    On the 8th and 9 days he had a real fever and a discussion online with a gp reassured him that as he was not having trouble breathing and was talking coherently they saw the fever as proof positive that his system was fighting and beating any virus or infection he might have but to contact the hospital direct if his breathing was affected. By day 10 and since he's recovered and feels normal.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

    this is really insightful, thanks

  18. #3107
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    15,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yorkmid
    Surely Yorknorth. 😉

  19. #3108
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,496
    SVe
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not so sure.

    Is it not making a bit of unnecessary extra work, when these deaths are often multifactorial? Is it appropriate to spend time, effort and resource filtering out one main cause of death when in fact there are a few? It just so happens that one bumps you over the edge.

    I say resource - are our resources not better spent trying to save the living than explaining the cause of death of the dead?

    (Sorry for a post that may seem callous or insensitive, but I think it is an important point).
    I donít disagree with you but I am firm in my belief that there is substantial misrecording in cause of death. Given the groups who are most vulnerable to this then there is a clear need for evidence about how and why they are afflicted and die, and how that is subsequently identified and recorded.

    But to take your point, not analysing why people die, even when there are co-morbities or the like, is simply foolish. The demand on health boards is going to be from people with underlying conditions, and the elderly in general. Any analysis is prudent and sensible.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  20. #3109
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely Yorknorth. 😉
    Indeed 👍
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  21. #3110
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    12,260
    14 000 new cases in the USA today. They've taken over from China with confirmed Corona. Scary stuff.

  22. #3111
    Administrator BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Erm...........................
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,955
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    14 000 new cases in the USA today. They've taken over from China with confirmed Corona. Scary stuff.
    Trump thinks people who want the country locked down are only interested in him losing the election.

    They need to get him out of that office.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

  23. #3112
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    14 000 new cases in the USA today. They've taken over from China with confirmed Corona. Scary stuff.
    America First

  24. #3113

  25. #3114
    Also connected to international relations is the latest news from the Falklands, Argentina offered any type of assistance to the UK embassy in regards to tests, food etc, for the Falklands, the message was passed to the Falklands who prompty told Argentina they'll go to the UK for help if it's needed.

    0 cases so far on the islands, hopefully it stays that way.

  26. #3115
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also connected to international relations is the latest news from the Falklands, Argentina offered any type of assistance to the UK embassy in regards to tests, food etc, for the Falklands, the message was passed to the Falklands who prompty told Argentina they'll go to the UK for help if it's needed.

    0 cases so far on the islands, hopefully it stays that way.
    Sounds as if you hope they'll record cases in order to make a point against the islander's wishes.

    Can we refrain from politicising Coronavirus for even just a wee bitty;

  27. #3116
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankhfc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds as if you hope they'll record cases in order to make a point against the islander's wishes.

    Can we refrain from politicising Coronavirus for even just a wee bitty;

    Honestly wasn't meant that way, given the logistics involved in helping them (from Argentina or from the UK) I hope they don't need to contact anyone for help.

  28. #3117
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly wasn't meant that way, given the logistics involved in helping them (from Argentina or from the UK) I hope they don't need to contact anyone for help.
    Yeah.

  29. #3118
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankhfc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah.
    I've been in Buenos Aires 13 days, I haven't went that "native" yet

  30. #3119
    Rather ironically China has barred all foreign visitors for the time being due to the number of imported cases,

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52059085

  31. #3120
    @hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,918
    This video is the most informative I have seen so far. I don't know where it came from but someone sent it to me by email. I can't upload it so I put it on Vimeo. I am a doctor of philosophy not medicine so I have no idea if this is valid but decide for yourself or ask your family doctor.

    Last edited by GreenLake; 27-03-2020 at 05:02 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved