hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 436 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WTAF?

Was it the same elite government unit that faked the moon landings, set up 9/11 and serves our lizard overlords?
    🤣

Lets see if this draws in the forum donut ďSlaversĒ, will be right up their street.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    I was over in Paris for the day yesterday for the rugby and on my retrn was surprised to see a fairly busy China Eastern flight to Shanghai boarding at CDG a few gates away from the Edinburgh flight. Irrespective of the woes back home and potential economic implications, it wasn't stopping a good number of the passengers spending the big bucks at Burberry, Gucci etc before boarding.
    Burberry face-masks. Why didn't I think of that?

Left by mutual consent!
    How many more deaths before it becomes a pandemic?

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    How many more deaths before it becomes a pandemic?
    Has it reached all parts of the world?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Has it reached all parts of the world?
    I don't know, I was interested in the criteria for a pandemic. I would be surprised if it is even at pandemic levels in China so far.

WHO seem to be vague on it.

https://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/frequently_asked_questions/pandemic/en/

The best I can come up with is "worldwide transmission."

Interesting paper here, it seems it is very hard to define a pandemic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3127276/

"It is tempting to surmise that the complicated pandemic definitions used by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of the United States of America involved severity1,10 in a deliberate attempt to garner political attention and financial support for pandemic preparednes."

I don't know, I was interested in the criteria for a pandemic. I would be surprised if it is even at pandemic levels in China so far.

WHO seem to be vague on it.

https://www.who.int/csr/disease/swin...s/pandemic/en/

The best I can come up with is "worldwide transmission."

Interesting paper here, it seems it is very hard to define a pandemic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3127276/

"It is tempting to surmise that the complicated pandemic definitions used by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of the United States of America involved severity1,10 in a deliberate attempt to garner political attention and financial support for pandemic preparednes."
    An epidemic becomes a pandemic once it goes global or something along those lines.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    An epidemic becomes a pandemic once it goes global or something along those lines.
    Yeah, it's not entirely clear. If it means people in different countries having it simultaneously we are at the pandemic stage.

I think it should be based on the rate of increase of cases as that would give a clearer indication of how infectious it is.

I'm curious as to how *****lia, which has a massive land border along with extensive rail and air links with China, hasn't had a single case.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Yeah, it's not entirely clear. If it means people in different countries having it simultaneously we are at the pandemic stage.

I think it should be based on the rate of increase of cases as that would give a clearer indication of how infectious it is.
    Not very clear at all. Malaria fits a few definitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm curious as to how *****lia, which has a massive land border along with extensive rail and air links with China, hasn't had a single case.
    https://thediplomat.com/2020/02/****...avirus-impact/

Good prevention, luck or a natural immunity?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I don't want to sound ignorant, but maybe their health system is a bit behind and it's harder for cases to be identified and reported to make it into the statistics?

Same goes for the large amounts of untouched areas on the global map in Africa, South America, and eastern Europe.
    Surely can't be a coincidence that it's generally the more developed countries which are reporting incidents of the disease.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I don't want to sound ignorant, but maybe their health system is a bit behind and it's harder for cases to be identified and reported to make it into the statistics?

Same goes for the large amounts of untouched areas on the global map in Africa, South America, and eastern Europe.
    Surely can't be a coincidence that it's generally the more developed countries which are reporting incidents of the disease.
    I thought the prevalence of the disease spreading to more developed countries could be put down down to citizens of such countries being more likely to travel to the region when compared to developing nations. The map linked below shows the sheer volume of travel between Europe and North America and China when compared to Africa and South America:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/11/coron...-day-12218901/

I'm sure there are various factors at play as to why the disease is spreading to and/or being identified in some areas more than others though.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    I thought the prevalence of the disease spreading to more developed countries could be put down down to citizens of such countries being more likely to travel to the region when compared to developing nations. The map linked below shows the sheer volume of travel between Europe and North America and China when compared to Africa and South America:

I'm sure there are various factors at play as to why the disease is spreading to and/or being identified in some areas more than others though.
    If the UK wasn't looking for the disease, I doubt if we would have any reported cases. As it is, someone showing simplistic symptoms which could just as easily be a reflection of the monitoring equipment, are being reported as potential cases

One of the main tests is temperature. I have been told by a very knowledgeable person, that the tympanic thermometers that are widely used are as much use as a random number generator.

They are very susceptible to environmental conditions, and the skill of the person using them. It is really internal temperature, such as in the throat that is a true reading - I was told.

Bear in mind raised temperature is indicative of many conditions.

The swear filter has helped keep them safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Fact. Also zero confirmed cases in S****horpe.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

That's maybe a more plausible reason actually!

Maybe a bit of both/all, but the travel routes between developed counntries probably accounts for it.
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Fact. Also zero confirmed cases in S****horpe.
    It still looks like there will be pain in Spain though.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    That's maybe a more plausible reason actually!

Maybe a bit of both/all, but the travel routes between developed counntries probably accounts for it.
    I think it likely is a bit of both however there wonít be a country in Asia that doesnít have a case, they just donít know it. Donít have a process to hunt it out, donít want to hunt it out. Indonesia with a huge population of 270m doesnít have one confirmed case?!?! Absolutely impossible. Doesnít have the medical facilities or infrastructure to cope when it does kick off. I fear for places like Indo.

@hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis...s-by-a-quarter

Every cloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See that they've postponed some games in Serie A this weekend because of it.

I saw somewhere that Chinese car sales were down 92% last month, can't be long until there is a chain reaction in the economic world.

Seems like one of the Italian doctors who was treating people has decided to go on holiday to Tenerife. After spending 6 days there he has now been diagnosed with the disease. Wonder how many people he has been in contact with in the hotel, restaurants, bars and the plane. Must be 100s. We are all Donald Ducked.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Seems like one of the Italian doctors who was treating people has decided to go on holiday to Tenerife. After spending 6 days there he has now been diagnosed with the disease. Wonder how many people he has been in contact with in the hotel, restaurants, bars and the plane. Must be 100s. We are all Donald Ducked.
    It's more than likely going to rip through the whole world within 12 months. It's the old and sick that will bare the brunt of it. Current statistics are showing it will have between a 1.3% and 14.8% mortality rate amongst the over 50's. Those statistics might improve as it starts to effect more medically advanced countries.

The Iranian deputy health minister has tested positive . Looks like its alot worse in Iran than theyre letting on

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    It's more than likely going to rip through the whole world within 12 months. It's the old and sick that will bare the brunt of it. Current statistics are showing it will have between a 1.3% and 14.8% mortality rate amongst the over 50's. Those statistics might improve as it starts to effect more medically advanced countries.
    Thing is, this isn't some town or even city where they can try to contain it. 95% of the people he's been in contact with will be flying out of the island and a good amount of them will already have left. Think about the air quality on a plane alone. Even if just 10 people go on 10 flights with it..............and most of them won't even know yet.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Thing is, this isn't some town or even city where they can try to contain it. 95% of the people he's been in contact with will be flying out of the island and a good amount of them will already have left. Think about the air quality on a plane alone. Even if just 10 people go on 10 flights with it..............and most of them won't even know yet.

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar

Dinnae worry hibbies, weíre all safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar

Chinese Coronavirus

I was due to take the family to Tenerife for a week at Easter and I cancelled it yesterday for a full refund. Feeling pretty chuffed with myself today. I wasnít worried about catching it as such, just donít fancy getting quarantined in a hotel for a few weeks not being able to fly home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ozyhibby; 25-02-2020 at 03:54 PM.