hibs.net Messageboard

Page 178 of 437 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188228278 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,340 of 13085

Thread: Coronavirus

  1. #5311
    @hibs.net private member Diclonius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Larbert
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,572
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1% of the population dead. That is incredible.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #5312
    First Team Regular Chorley Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Motherwell
    Age
    40
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those volunteering for NHS could be tested regularly and used to help the older citizens . Talk to them on the phone and do their messages and try to keep those in most risk safe at home. Must be really difficult for older members of society as that blether in the shops may be very important to them. Hope your mum stays safe and the youngsters she is now shopping with are better behaved than those anarchists in the over 70 bracket.
    My experience in the supermarket/local stores is that some of the older people in our society are the biggest culprits when ignoring social distancing etc.

    One lady literally stood on my toes last night to cut in front of me and get something from the shelf.

    I politely asked her to take notice of the social distancing rules, to which she uttered "nonsense" before walking off.

    I can safely say that hasn't been an isolated incident either.

  4. #5313
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Airth
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My experience in the supermarket/local stores is that some of the older people in our society are the biggest culprits when ignoring social distancing etc.

    One lady literally stood on my toes last night to cut in front of me and get something from the shelf.

    I politely asked her to take notice of the social distancing rules, to which she uttered "nonsense" before walking off.

    I can safely say that hasn't been an isolated incident either.
    My grandparents in law are are very strict with their social isolating.

    They only go to their farmers market stall once a week instead of twice.

    Really? The ****ers.

    My grandad has gone into hospital tonight after what could be described as a “wee turn” - he’s ok and will be out tomorrow. The point is that he’s been self isolating for about 5 weeks and ends having to go to hospital with all the risks that it carries, yet those two entitled idiots “keep calm and carry on”. They don’t get that that was admirable during a war, but this is totally different.

    If this crises happened again in 20 years time I wonder if it would be any different? Actually probably not, a caller on LBC today talked about how she could see 4 men in a multi-court share a spliff then bugger off in separate directions to their own houses 😂

  5. #5314
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1% of the population dead. That is incredible.
    0.1% - still an extraordinary loss of life.

  6. #5315
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My grandparents in law are are very strict with their social isolating.

    They only go to their farmers market stall once a week instead of twice.

    Really? The ****ers.

    My grandad has gone into hospital tonight after what could be described as a “wee turn” - he’s ok and will be out tomorrow. The point is that he’s been self isolating for about 5 weeks and ends having to go to hospital with all the risks that it carries, yet those two entitled idiots “keep calm and carry on”. They don’t get that that was admirable during a war, but this is totally different.

    If this crises happened again in 20 years time I wonder if it would be any different? Actually probably not, a caller on LBC today talked about how she could see 4 men in a multi-court share a spliff then bugger off in separate directions to their own houses 😂
    I spoke to an Italian guy at work a good few weeks ago, Italy had been lockdown for a couple of weeks at that point.

    He said that they were having real problems controlling the old and vulnerable, whose attitude was "we're going to die soon anyway so what's the point?"

    Meanwhile, this isn't a great story for our government.

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...shortage-test/

    And this bit - "On Sunday, Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, claimed that only 5.7 per cent of hospital doctors were off sick because of Covid-19, but an RCP survey of more than 2,500 frontline workers found the rate was actually 14.6 per cent" was enlightening.

    These politicians need watched.

  7. #5316
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    These politicians need watched.
    We've watched Hancock lying for long enough. What he needs is called out for it in real time. If only Laura Kuenssberg, for example, would step up to the plate and be a journalist.

  8. #5317
    First Team Regular Chorley Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Motherwell
    Age
    40
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We've watched Hancock lying for long enough. What he needs is called out for it in real time. If only Laura Kuenssberg, for example, would step up to the plate and be a journalist.
    She is a disgrace, she is nothing more than a spokesperson for the government.

    Her "the science has changed" line the other week was incredible.

  9. #5318
    See if the lockdown becomes much more restrictive, do you think it will spark another bout of panic buying?

  10. #5319
    @hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,927
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See if the lockdown becomes much more restrictive, do you think it will spark another bout of panic buying?
    No doubt people will try but I'd like to think the supermarkets have more of a handle on it, only letting a certain amount of people in etc, if people go tonto they will just limit the numbers even more

  11. #5320
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    35,596
    15 die at a care home in Luton, poor souls

    five had tested positive whilst the other ten hadn't been tested

  12. #5321
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No doubt people will try but I'd like to think the supermarkets have more of a handle on it, only letting a certain amount of people in etc, if people go tonto they will just limit the numbers even more
    It is such a shame that folk feel it’s acceptable.

  13. #5322
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    15 die at a care home in Luton, poor souls

    five had tested positive whilst the other ten hadn't been tested


    Utterly heartbreaking.

    God bless all.

  14. #5323
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,577
    The economic downfall caused by Covid-19 could push 548 million more people into poverty globally - message from Oxfam, based on research from King's College London.

  15. #5324
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The economic downfall caused by Covid-19 could push 548 million more people into poverty globally - message from Oxfam, based on research from King's College London.
    Before all this the UN estimated 800 million people lived below the established poverty line and a bigger number were on the cliff edge by their metrics, which meant they were almost certainly struggling from day to day, week to week, or month to month.

    The massive amount of public money needed to keep society functioning in the face of economic torpor will drag down economies for many years.

    My fear is the usual. It will end up hitting some parts of the world harder than most. Africa, Latin America and parts of Asia spring to mind.

    There is a real need for something like the Marshall Plan that regenerated Europe after WW2. Or the efforts Gordon Brown made in 2008 to secure international agreement on how to stop direct debits failing and ensuring ATMs kept paying out.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  16. #5325
    Coaching Staff Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    38
    Posts
    20,348
    Only 29 new cases in NZ today.

    Now everybody returning to NZ will go into enforced quarantine for 14 days, no exception, in hotels paid for by government.

    In 2 weeks we may be out of the highest level of lockdown.

    WINNING!

  17. #5326
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    15,333
    The government are going to be opening testing centres across Scotland to test people who are suspected to have covid 19. They’re considering using taxis to pick you up from your house to take you to the testing centre then bring you back home. The taxi will be sealed up so there’s no risk to the driver and the driver will be given protective clothing. The taxi will be disinfected at the end of each day and can only be used for this purpose. My worry about that would be that you could find out you don’t have it, but you’ve just sat in a taxi that’s been occupied by someone who does have it. I’m guessing the passenger is going to have to wear some kind of ppe to avoid spreading it.
    It’s not something I’d be rushing to sign up for.

    United we stand here....

  18. #5327
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The government are going to be opening testing centres across Scotland to test people who are suspected to have covid 19. They’re considering using taxis to pick you up from your house to take you to the testing centre then bring you back home. The taxi will be sealed up so there’s no risk to the driver and the driver will be given protective clothing. The taxi will be disinfected at the end of each day and can only be used for this purpose. My worry about that would be that you could find out you don’t have it, but you’ve just sat in a taxi that’s been occupied by someone who does have it. I’m guessing the passenger is going to have to wear some kind of ppe to avoid spreading it.
    It’s not something I’d be rushing to sign up for.
    That doesn't seem to make sense unless there's a reasonable certainty that the virus isn't infective from surfaces, rather than from exhaled droplets. If it's infective from surfaces, the taxi scenario seems like quite an effective means of spreading - as you say, go to a centre, test negative, catch something on the return journey from inside the taxi, then behave in a willy-nilly way in wider society as if you're negative while you're actually positive.

  19. #5328
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,170
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The government are going to be opening testing centres across Scotland to test people who are suspected to have covid 19. They’re considering using taxis to pick you up from your house to take you to the testing centre then bring you back home. The taxi will be sealed up so there’s no risk to the driver and the driver will be given protective clothing. The taxi will be disinfected at the end of each day and can only be used for this purpose. My worry about that would be that you could find out you don’t have it, but you’ve just sat in a taxi that’s been occupied by someone who does have it. I’m guessing the passenger is going to have to wear some kind of ppe to avoid spreading it.
    It’s not something I’d be rushing to sign up for.
    Where did you hear this LB?

  20. #5329
    Testimonial Due Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    3,615
    Proof, if it were needed, that UK Gov is still actively pursuing this herd immunity idea in the back ground.... See the quotes from the Home Office Deputy Scientific Advisor


    Coronavirus: Passport Office staff told to go back to work -
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52219930



    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  21. #5330
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only 29 new cases in NZ today.

    Now everybody returning to NZ will go into enforced quarantine for 14 days, no exception, in hotels paid for by government.

    In 2 weeks we may be out of the highest level of lockdown.

    WINNING!
    Jacinda Ardern has probably been the most impressive leader across the world since this started - clear and decisive actions very early on, coupled with strong communication.

  22. #5331
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    52
    Posts
    21,297
    The lockdown in France, currently in it's second 2 week spell (ie. this is the start of the 4th week) taking us up until Wednesday 15th is to be extended. This has been confirmed by Macron who'll tell us by how much longer on Monday night - probably another fortnight for the time being.

    Also reports and proof are coming out that the French government lied about the effectiveness of masks simply because there weren't enough in stock and they wanted to keep them for health workers (which is understandable). Nearly all private stocks of masks, of all shapes and sizes, have been donated to hospitals, care homes, etc.

  23. #5332
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Proof, if it were needed, that UK Gov is still actively pursuing this herd immunity idea in the back ground.... See the quotes from the Home Office Deputy Scientific Advisor


    Coronavirus: Passport Office staff told to go back to work -
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52219930



    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    There are going to be more and more stories like this in the next week or two IMO. Companies are going to need an income and pressure is going to be put on staff to return.

  24. #5333
    Promising Youngster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    68
    For anyone who has had COVID19/suspected they have had it - was a sore throat one of your symptoms? I woke up with a very sore throat, glands and ears yesterday. Very sore to swallow anything. No other symptoms though so it might just be a virus/tonsillitis.

  25. #5334
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are going to be more and more stories like this in the next week or two IMO. Companies are going to need an income and pressure is going to be put on staff to return.
    The Government are going to face some pretty tough questions in the next few days if this trend continues. If you have a situation in which various other businesses continue to reopen, and in this instance are actively encouraged from within the home office to do so, then other industries are going to start pushing for an end to the lockdown.

    The hospitality and leisure industry will feel aggrieved that they are bearing the brunt of a lockdown and will demand increased support. The football authorities could, with some justification imo, argue that if it's OK for 500 people to work in a passport office and use public transport to get there then why can't they play behind closed doors. The construction industry are going to push for sites to be reopened. The list is basically endless of companies and sectors that would be 'seeking clarification'.

    I've felt for a few days now that we are approaching a situation in which the govt unofficially ends the lockdown. We will reach a point at which so many businesses are open that people will just start to ignore the restrictions and the politicians will then place the burden of guilt and the blame onto them.

    It's just a shambles really.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  26. #5335
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    52
    Posts
    21,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Government are going to face some pretty tough questions in the next few days if this trend continues. If you have a situation in which various other businesses continue to reopen, and in this instance are actively encouraged from within the home office to do so, then other industries are going to start pushing for an end to the lockdown.

    The hospitality and leisure industry will feel aggrieved that they are bearing the brunt of a lockdown and will demand increased support. The football authorities could, with some justification imo, argue that if it's OK for 500 people to work in a passport office and use public transport to get there then why can't they play behind closed doors. The construction industry are going to push for sites to be reopened. The list is basically endless of companies and sectors that would be 'seeking clarification'.

    I've felt for a few days now that we are approaching a situation in which the govt unofficially ends the lockdown. We will reach a point at which so many businesses are open that people will just start to ignore the restrictions and the politicians will then place the burden of guilt and the blame onto them.

    It's just a shambles really.
    You're not seriously comparing public services like the passport office with football matches or bars/restaurants?

  27. #5336
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Government are going to face some pretty tough questions in the next few days if this trend continues. If you have a situation in which various other businesses continue to reopen, and in this instance are actively encouraged from within the home office to do so, then other industries are going to start pushing for an end to the lockdown.

    The hospitality and leisure industry will feel aggrieved that they are bearing the brunt of a lockdown and will demand increased support. The football authorities could, with some justification imo, argue that if it's OK for 500 people to work in a passport office and use public transport to get there then why can't they play behind closed doors. The construction industry are going to push for sites to be reopened. The list is basically endless of companies and sectors that would be 'seeking clarification'.

    I've felt for a few days now that we are approaching a situation in which the govt unofficially ends the lockdown. We will reach a point at which so many businesses are open that people will just start to ignore the restrictions and the politicians will then place the burden of guilt and the blame onto them.

    It's just a shambles really.
    Totally agree. No control. No leadership. And most importantly, no money.

    The government have spoken about all the money that they’ll give. How many businesses have seen a penny yet?

  28. #5337
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're not seriously comparing public services like the passport office with football matches or bars/restaurants?
    I think the point is (a) is this essential work and (b) if the office was previously closed for health reasons, what has changed to allow it to reopen?

    Without a satisfactory answer to those questions which distinguishes this example from other industries, as PB says the pressure from those other industries will start to mount.

  29. #5338
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're not seriously comparing public services like the passport office with football matches or bars/restaurants?
    In terms of necessity of course not. Although I believe the passport office only had a skeleton staff in working to deal with urgent requests for ID and so on but are now ramping back up towards a more complete service. Whether that is required at this exact moment in time is debatable.

    My point is about perception. In a week in which we are likely to see the daily death toll top 1000 for the 1st time we should be seeing signals from the Govt that a lockdown is serious and not optional. Instead this week has seen Baynes the bakers announce they are reopening various sites, flower growers sent back to work, a senior minister again say 'if you can't work from home, go to work'. If you reach a situation in which a lockdown isn't really a lockdown, arguably we are already there, then other industries are going to agitate for their own restrictions to be lifted. Once you ease things off it becomes difficult to tighten them up again.

    We already have a pretty tame lockdown compared to many other European countries. Are people going to understand how the government can reopen an office with 500 people in it, against the wishes of their employees, but at the same time tell people they can no longer go for a walk every day? It's mixed messages and a complete lack of clear messages or strong leadership.

  30. #5339
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    30,896
    Blog Entries
    1
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  31. #5340
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    52
    Posts
    21,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In terms of necessity of course not. Although I believe the passport office only had a skeleton staff in working to deal with urgent requests for ID and so on but are now ramping back up towards a more complete service. Whether that is required at this exact moment in time is debatable.

    My point is about perception. In a week in which we are likely to see the daily death toll top 1000 for the 1st time we should be seeing signals from the Govt that a lockdown is serious and not optional. Instead this week has seen Baynes the bakers announce they are reopening various sites, flower growers sent back to work, a senior minister again say 'if you can't work from home, go to work'. If you reach a situation in which a lockdown isn't really a lockdown, arguably we are already there, then other industries are going to agitate for their own restrictions to be lifted. Once you ease things off it becomes difficult to tighten them up again.

    We already have a pretty tame lockdown compared to many other European countries. Are people going to understand how the government can reopen an office with 500 people in it, against the wishes of their employees, but at the same time tell people they can no longer go for a walk every day? It's mixed messages and a complete lack of clear messages or strong leadership.
    Once the lockdown is over won't be the time to think about treating however many months of passport applications.

    People can't travel just now, but many will want to as soon as they can and for some it will be essential.

    I can understand the unease of those who work in the passport office, but for me it's a vital service so no mixed messages being sent from the government.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved