hibs.net Messageboard

Page 376 of 430 FirstFirst ... 276326366374375376377378386426 ... LastLast
Results 11,251 to 11,280 of 12878

Thread: Coronavirus

  1. #11251
    Testimonial Due Glory Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miles from in the know
    Posts
    3,347
    Hi, I'm Laura Kuenssburg. And I'm pleased to be joined tonight by my colleague, Nicholas Witchell.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #11252
    Maybe it's just me but my Twitter is showing Dominic, Dominic Goings, Durham, resign, Prof Ferguson and Catherine Calderwood as trending.

    If there is a cover up, it's a bad one.

  4. #11253
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    5,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe it's just me but my Twitter is showing Dominic, Dominic Goings, Durham, resign, Prof Ferguson and Catherine Calderwood as trending.

    If there is a cover up, it's a bad one.
    An algorithm based on most mentioned words would surely rank Cummings higher than most of those on your list. However I donít believe itís due to any cover-up, more likely the word cumming is blocked from trending in some sort of adult-content filtering.

  5. #11254
    Veni, Vidi, Posti degenerated's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    At a post-punk postcard fair
    Age
    49
    Posts
    10,099
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: dave7062
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for that.

    Take Fife as an example. Fairly big area with a few reasonable sized towns. 2 new cases in 7 days.

    So probably 1 new community case in a week. So their R number must be almost zero.

    I think we are being far too cautious.
    But yet Kings College through their modelling and testing analysis reckon there were around 9,900 daily cases, excluding care homes and asymptomatic cases, in England alone.

    https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/covid-cases-england

    We really have no idea how many cases are actually out there, so I'm not so sure I share your view on us being over cautious just yet.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  6. #11255
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    An algorithm based on most mentioned words would surely rank Cummings higher than most of those on your list. However I donít believe itís due to any cover-up, more likely the word cumming is blocked from trending in some sort of adult-content filtering.
    That's the most likely explanation.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  7. #11256
    @hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Auckland, NZ
    Age
    36
    Posts
    7,297
    Gamer IDs

    Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Why bother driving that far with your child to your eldery parents house when children arnt affected?

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  8. #11257
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    20,784


    Interesting the different reaction to the two stories from Laura Kuenssberg.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #11258
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    29,216
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Berwickhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He should be prosecuted or at the very least resign like Calderwood
    How has this taken so long to come out. Should be hounded out like Calderwood wa.

  10. #11259
    There's a bit selective reading of Kuenssberg's tweets going on here and I say that as a critic.

    A tweet saying it won't go away and SNP, Lib Dems and rebel Tories want him gone

    A tweet saying Tory MPs are privately saying he should quit

    A tweet quoting Labour's reaction using a one rule for some line

    The below is hardly speaking supportively of the govt:


    'Clear No 10 wants to tough this out - told he has no intention of resigning - but raises obvious questions of one rule for Downing St, one rule for everyone else'

  11. #11260
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    29,216
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wonder if the BBC covered our (now ex) CMO visiting her 2nd home.....

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Hounded out I remember, Cummings should be sacked Kuensberg should resign as she hasn't got an ounce of credibility left.

  12. #11261
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a bit selective reading of Kuenssberg's tweets going on here and I say that as a critic.

    A tweet saying it won't go away and SNP, Lib Dems and rebel Tories want him gone

    A tweet saying Tory MPs are privately saying he should quit

    A tweet quoting Labour's reaction using a one rule for some line

    The below is hardly speaking supportively of the govt:


    'Clear No 10 wants to tough this out - told he has no intention of resigning - but raises obvious questions of one rule for Downing St, one rule for everyone else'
    I don't use Twitter, so I'm not sure how it's typically used by journalists, but I was surprised to see she hadn't commented on the explanation provided by her source. In some ways, the apparent explanation makes his actions worse, as he increased the chances of older people becoming infected.

  13. #11262
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't use Twitter, so I'm not sure how it's typically used by journalists, but I was surprised to see she hadn't commented on the explanation provided by her source. In some ways, the apparent explanation makes his actions worse, as he increased the chances of older people becoming infected.
    I agree a comment on the 'source' would have been welcome.

    I suppose my argument is she has tweeted the government's line, from a source, then followed that up with her view that it raises the one rule for some, one for others issue then followed that observation with the various responses from Labour, SNP, Lib Dems and rebel Tories.

    I just don't see a big conspiracy. Lack of insight and analysis perhaps, although how plausible that is with a character limit is another matter, but not much worse than that.

  14. #11263
    @hibs.net private member Diclonius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Larbert
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,566
    The de facto Prime Minister won't sack himself.

  15. #11264
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    5,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree a comment on the 'source' would have been welcome.

    I suppose my argument is she has tweeted the government's line, from a source, then followed that up with her view that it raises the one rule for some, one for others issue then followed that observation with the various responses from Labour, SNP, Lib Dems and rebel Tories.

    I just don't see a big conspiracy. Lack of insight and analysis perhaps, although how plausible that is with a character limit is another matter, but not much worse than that.
    Is it common for the political editor of the BBC to rebut other news organisations stories using unnamed sources?

  16. #11265
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it common for the political editor of the BBC to rebut other news organisations stories using unnamed sources?
    She doesn't rebut it. She states what the source has given as an explanation before going on to give the other views of the situation.

    Let me be clear I think if Ferguson and Calderwood had to go then Cummings has to go and I think Laura Kuenssberg is lightweight and out of her depth. There is a tendency to pounce on everything she says though and on this occasion it seems a bit of a nothing story.

    The timeline of her tweets boils down to govt source refutes story and says this, I think it raises this question, Labour says this, SNP and Lib Dems say this, rebel Tories say this. That's covering all the bases imo.

  17. #11266
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    5,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She doesn't rebut it. She states what the source has given as an explanation before going on to give the other views on the situation.

    Let me be clear I think if Ferguson and Calderwood had to go then Cummings has to go and I think Laura Kuenssberg is lightweight and out of her depth. There is a tendency to pounce on everything she says though and in this occasion it seems a bit of a nothing story.

    The timeline of her tweets boils down to govt source says this, I think it raises this question, Labour says this, SNP and Lib Dems say this, rebel Tories say this. That's covering all the bases imo.
    Did you see the tweet in which she replied directly to Pippa Crear? Her first tweet after the story broke? Tweeting a rebuttal from unnamed source in direct reply to the exclusive story. You wonít see the tweet on her timeline unless you go into the replies tab or see Pippa Crearís original tweet.

  18. #11267
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you see the tweet in which she replied directly to Pippa Crear? Her first tweet after the story broke? Tweeting a rebuttal from unnamed source in direct reply to the exclusive story. You wonít see the tweet on her timeline unless you go into the replies tab or see Pippa Crearís original tweet.
    Yes I saw it. I don't really see the issue, should there only be one side to the story given? I don't agree with the explanation given, if anything it appears to make things worse, but I don't have any issue with it being made public. Again LK followed it up by suggesting it raises issues and questions, she didn't simply post the govt line and disappear.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  19. #11268
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    20,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She doesn't rebut it. She states what the source has given as an explanation before going on to give the other views of the situation.

    Let me be clear I think if Ferguson and Calderwood had to go then Cummings has to go and I think Laura Kuenssberg is lightweight and out of her depth. There is a tendency to pounce on everything she says though and on this occasion it seems a bit of a nothing story.

    The timeline of her tweets boils down to govt source refutes story and says this, I think it raises this question, Labour says this, SNP and Lib Dems say this, rebel Tories say this. That's covering all the bases imo.
    She should have asked for an on the record quote. Letting them away with Ďa sourceí makes her just a No. 10 press officer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #11269
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    20,784

    Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes I saw it. I don't really see the issue, should there only be one side to the story given? I don't agree with the explanation given, if anything it appears to make things worse, but I don't have any issue with it being made public. Again LK followed it up by suggesting it raises issues and questions, she didn't simply post the govt line and disappear.
    Both sides should be heard, but not anonymously.
    Kuenssberg shouldnít be one of the sides. If No. 10 wants heard then they need to go on the record, not send Laura out with a line.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #11270
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Both sides should be heard, but not anonymously.
    Kuenssberg shouldnít be one of the sides. If No. 10 wants heard then they need to go on the record, not send Laura out with a line.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm certain there will be an ongoing search for on the record comment now. Was there any names given for the Lib Dems, SNP and Tories who she tweeted want him gone? Should they have went on the record as well?

  22. #11271
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm certain there will be an ongoing search for on the record comment now. Was there any names given for the Lib Dems, SNP and Tories who she tweeted want him gone? Should they have went on the record as well?
    https://twitter.com/Ianblackford_MP/status/1263933213904449543?s=19

  23. #11272
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    5,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes I saw it. I don't really see the issue, should there only be one side to the story given? I don't agree with the explanation given, if anything it appears to make things worse, but I don't have any issue with it being made public. Again LK followed it up by suggesting it raises issues and questions, she didn't simply post the govt line and disappear.
    Different sides of the story should definitely be given and I have no issue with LK publishing a rebuttal from ďsourceĒ or any of the other tweets you quoted from her timeline. What I have issue with is why the political editor of the BBC is contributing to a twitter thread started by another journalist with these rebuttals, her job is to report the news not steer the conversation or provide a direct response from govt to a story. In replying to Pippa Crearís tweet with the rebuttal from source it isnít standing alongside all the other information you have quoted, it stands alone and personally I find that interesting.

  24. #11273
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm certain there will be an ongoing search for on the record comment now. Was there any names given for the Lib Dems, SNP and Tories who she tweeted want him gone? Should they have went on the record as well?
    I donít think any of the people from above parties are bothered about being a named source since theyíve all tweeted from their own twitter accounts.

  25. #11274
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    20,784
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Different sides of the story should definitely be given and I have no issue with LK publishing a rebuttal from ďsourceĒ or any of the other tweets you quoted from her timeline. What I have issue with is why the political editor of the BBC is contributing to a twitter thread started by another journalist with these rebuttals, her job is to report the news not steer the conversation or provide a direct response from govt to a story. In replying to Pippa Crearís tweet with the rebuttal from source it isnít standing alongside all the other information you have quoted, it stands alone and personally I find that interesting.
    She should be trying to get answers instead of putting out their line.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #11275
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15,212
    Sick of Nationwide Building Society's monologue Isolation video adverts, sick of how you can use xyz application to communicate at work or with family. Im stuck in the house I dont wish to keep seeing others also in house. Well done mate you can share your screen at work with somebody Nothing new pal. Press Ctrl+Alt+Arrow key you can rotate your screen, stick that in your next "we are living on teams" advert.

  27. #11276
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree a comment on the 'source' would have been welcome.

    I suppose my argument is she has tweeted the government's line, from a source, then followed that up with her view that it raises the one rule for some, one for others issue then followed that observation with the various responses from Labour, SNP, Lib Dems and rebel Tories.

    I just don't see a big conspiracy. Lack of insight and analysis perhaps, although how plausible that is with a character limit is another matter, but not much worse than that.
    Fair enough. My concern is that by publicising the apparent position statedd by an anonymous source in this context, she's essentially allowing herself to be used to test the public reaction to that position. If the reaction is overwhelmingly negative, the official position which will be adopted subsequently can be altered with no blowback on DC or Downing Street.

  28. #11277
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    30,888
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She doesn't rebut it. She states what the source has given as an explanation before going on to give the other views of the situation.

    Let me be clear I think if Ferguson and Calderwood had to go then Cummings has to go and I think Laura Kuenssberg is lightweight and out of her depth. There is a tendency to pounce on everything she says though and on this occasion it seems a bit of a nothing story.

    The timeline of her tweets boils down to govt source refutes story and says this, I think it raises this question, Labour says this, SNP and Lib Dems say this, rebel Tories say this. That's covering all the bases imo.
    I have friends down South who voted Tory and absolutely loathe Kuenssberg and the BBC for the bias they show against the Government. Like you say, some will pounce on anything she says to Ďproveí how biased she is against their own particular viewpoint. And meanwhile the real story, in this case Cummings, takes a back seat.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  29. #11278
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    30,888
    Blog Entries
    1
    I donít see how Cummings can survive this. The Tories look set to try and defend their man. I canít see them holding any sort of line though given that he went to his elderly parents house to use them for free childcare whilst he had Coronavirus symptoms. Who would do that?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  30. #11279
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I donít see how Cummings can survive this. The Tories look set to try and defend their man. I canít see them holding any sort of line though given that he went to his elderly parents house to use them for free childcare whilst he had Coronavirus symptoms. Who would do that?
    Would need to see what's in the wills befote answering.

  31. #11280
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    30,888
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would need to see what's in the wills befote answering.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved