hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Left back

Hybrid View

Left back

Who would people like to see us bring in, in summer? Clearly a position that doesn’t have any competition and I also don’t think stevenson is good enough. I’d probably take Motherwell left back if we could afford him

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    St Mirren had a good young left back under Stubbs Harry Coulson on loan from Middlesbrough

I notice he is now a regular at Middlesbrough might well be worth putting in the notebook in case he falls out of favour

Reminded me of a young Lewis 😁

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    St Mirren had a good young left back under Stubbs Harry Coulson on loan from Middlesbrough

Were people shouting "Coulson, you're sheite" at him?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Were people shouting "Coulson, you're sheite" at him?
    Maybe so but doubtful if we can afford him now

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

I notice he is now a regular at Middlesbrough might well be worth putting in the notebook in case he falls out of favour

I remember the last "left back" we got from Middlesbrough was a young lad called David Murphy - he was quite "decent" 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    I remember the last "left back" we got from Middlesbrough was a young lad called David Murphy - he was quite "decent" 🙂
    My thoughts exactly a wand of a left peg

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post

One of my favourite players.

He was left back in the Cup final with Lewis in front of him,biirc.

Lewis was man of the match.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

One of my favourite players.

He was left back in the Cup final with Lewis in front of him,biirc.

Lewis was man of the match.
    I've always thought that he'd be worth trying in a sort of number 10 role. He didn't start out playing leftback.

It's probably too late now.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I've always thought that he'd be worth trying in a sort of number 10 role. He didn't start out playing leftback.

It's probably too late now.
    I always liked him as a central midfielder and he has all the attributes our midfield was lacking earlier this season.

We didn’t have anyone else to play LB though...

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Not sure who to bring in but it’s a shame this has became a problem area this season as Lewis hasn’t been his consistent self.

Definitely needs addressed as does CH.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Not sure who to bring in but it’s a shame this has became a problem area this season as Lewis hasn’t been his consistent self.

Definitely needs addressed as does CH.
    Folk seem to forget that Lewis had no pre-season and the previous manager threw him back in at the earliest opportunity. He was way below his usual standards and I don’t think he’s ever recovered. In saying that, with a proper pre-season in the summer, he might just bounce back. I certainly wouldn’t be writing him off just yet.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Folk seem to forget that Lewis had no pre-season and the previous manager threw him back in at the earliest opportunity. He was way below his usual standards and I don’t think he’s ever recovered. In saying that, with a proper pre-season in the summer, he might just bounce back. I certainly wouldn’t be writing him off just yet.
    What do you do though? Let the summer pass without bringing in a left back in the hope Stevenson will be back to his best next season?

I’d rather we brought in a left back better than Stevenson which I realise isn’t the easiest thing to do and I’m by no means slating LS’s ability.

The only way we get better is by replacing players playing for us with better players either signing them or bringing them through the youths. Like people have said there’s no room in football for sentiment unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    What do you do though? Let the summer pass without bringing in a left back in the hope Stevenson will be back to his best next season?

I’d rather we brought in a left back better than Stevenson which I realise isn’t the easiest thing to do and I’m by no means slating LS’s ability.

The only way we get better is by replacing players playing for us with better players either signing them or bringing them through the youths. Like people have said there’s no room in football for sentiment unfortunately.
    No I wasn’t suggesting we take that risk. We need to have another left back who’s capable of starting games and holding down the position. I’ve never thought Mackie was that guy. I was just saying that a fit Lewis would be more than capable of being our number one left back. If he can get back to his previous levels.

Bounce back to what though? He's always been an average full back and at his age he's only going to get slower and poorer. Hanlon is the same, average player and good servant but we need better if we want to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    Bounce back to what though? He's always been an average full back and at his age he's only going to get slower and poorer. Hanlon is the same, average player and good servant but we need better if we want to progress.
    What can Hibs progress to that those ''average'' players haven't already achieved?

Both players miles better than average at their best.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    What can Hibs progress to that those ''average'' players haven't already achieved?

It’s a bit of a cliche, but those 2 players will only truly be appreciated by some people once they’re no longer playing for us.

They’re both good players who have played some excellent football for us in some excellent teams.

Finish top 3 in the league. If they were better than average they would have moved on to bigger things years ago. We are a shambles at the back it's incredible people don't want us to improve.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

I would have loved to have been as average as Lewis Stevenson.

A Scottish Cup, a League Cup, Scotland cap and however many hundred appearances for a football club I love dearly.

**** knows what he'd have achieved if he was good.

He’s not just been average. He had some excellent seasons not so long ago under both Stubbs and Lennon. Like I said earlier, he’s never been fit this season.

He’s not just been average. He had some excellent seasons not so long ago under both Stubbs and Lennon. Like I said earlier, he’s never been fit this season.
    I’m not sure I’d agree Lewis never been fit this season. Certainly a valid reason for taking some time to get up to speed.

However, he’s played every game since coming back, trained and even had winter break and training camp.

I think it’s stretching to say fitness has been an issue all season.

First Team Regular
    Has always been average???

Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    Has always been average???
    At best.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    Who would people like to see us bring in, in summer? Clearly a position that doesn’t have any competition and I also don’t think stevenson is good enough. I’d probably take Motherwell left back if we could afford him

Treading on dodgy ground posting that on here mate. Get yer tin hat on.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

I can't remember which left backs we've had to cover for Lewis. Was the boy Eskilson or whatever from hearts a left back?

I can't remember which left backs we've had to cover for Lewis. Was the boy Eskilson or whatever from hearts a left back?
    Eckersley. Think he was, but think he was injured the whole time.

Miquel Nelom as well, now playing for Willem II.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Eckersley. Think he was, but think he was injured the whole time.

Miquel Nelom as well, now playing for Willem II.
    Eckersley remains the most questionable signing in my memory.

He was injured when we signed him, and he remained injured until his contract expired after 6 months.

Surely, our medical staff could have picked up on his condition...assuming he had a medical that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Eckersley remains the most questionable signing in my memory.

He was injured when we signed him, and he remained injured until his contract expired after 6 months.

Surely, our medical staff could have picked up on his condition...assuming he had a medical that is.
    They did, he was not injured the whole time. He made the bench a couple times and definitely wasn't here for 6 months. More like 3 months.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Oooooh ya cow!

Left by mutual consent!
    Lee Wallace?

Left by mutual consent!
    Didn’t Ryan McGivern keep Lewis out the team? He definitely “played” left back.