hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any need for the antagonism?

I wasn't criticising you. It's a general point that applies to everyone, including me on occasion, and it makes conversations on here virtually impossible.

I pointed out a fact that Horgan was extremely valuable to us defensively yesterday because from your comments it was clear that you didn't notice that.

If you're not open to the possibility that he contributed more than you think, then there's no point either of us discussing it.
    Antagonism?

I merely think that Horgan’s performance yesterday should be measured on more than what I see as a basic requirement from any player. I highlighted one particularly decent bit of defending from him. Other than that, it was what I’d expect.

If you think his contribution yesterday merits praise, fine. I don’t. I don’t think Horgan was signed for his defensive abilities, which is good because he generally struggles against fit, full time players. However, we’re not getting enough from him in the final third, which was certainly the case yesterday.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing the wrong tactics and team selection delivering an under-par first half littered with defensive lapses, followed by half time tactical changes (Horgan off, McNulty on etc) leading to a much improved second half with the full time whistle coming just a little too early for us to claim all three points.

Is Doidge in your good books just now, or do you fancy him to miss two or three sitters and a penalty?

You just know Oli Shaw is scoring the winner

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    No easy games in our league but I expect us to win on Wednesday. Bit of pay back for our defeat up there
    It won't be easy, that's the only certainty.

County will have had a full week's rest while we had an energy sapping battle against Storm Ciara and BSC yesterday.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't win.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Antagonism?

I merely think that Horgan’s performance yesterday should be measured on more than what I see as a basic requirement from any player. I highlighted one particularly decent bit of defending from him. Other than that, it was what I’d expect.

If you think his contribution yesterday merits praise, fine. I don’t. I don’t think Horgan was signed for his defensive abilities, which is good because he generally struggles against fit, full time players. However, we’re not getting enough from him in the final third, which was certainly the case yesterday.
    I said he was important to us defensively. That's s fact.

You said he was garbage. That's an opinion.

Horgan wasn't great going forward, no-one was, but, apart from the first goal, he was much more involved than Boyle, and he did more defensively. Again, they're facts.

Your point that he wasn't signed for his defensive abilities shows that you're not prepared to re-evaluate and give credit where it's due.

We're not going to get even close to agreeing so I'll leave it there.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Testimonial Due
    It won't be easy, that's the only certainty.

County will have had a full week's rest while we had an energy sapping battle against Storm Ciara and BSC yesterday.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't win.
    Did not look to energy sapping as ball was pinged about like a pinball. We are match sharp and they have long journey in difficult weather conditions. Plus Allan and Newell rested

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Did not look to energy sapping as ball was pinged about like a pinball. We are match sharp and they have long journey in difficult weather conditions. Plus Allan and Newell rested
    Have you ever gone for a run in a moderately strong wind never mind a gale?

It's knackering. Lovely with it behind you, but into it is hellish.

Allan and Newell were injured and may not be available.

I said he was important to us defensively. That's s fact.

You said he was garbage. That's an opinion.

Horgan wasn't great going forward, no-one was, but, apart from the first goal, he was much more involved than Boyle, and he did more defensively. Again, they're facts.

Your point that he wasn't signed for his defensive abilities shows that you're not prepared to re-evaluate and give credit where it's due.

We're not going to get even close to agreeing so I'll leave it there.
    Ah, what you think is a fact and whatever someone else thinks is an opinion. Excellent.

You’re correct, I won’t re-evaluate yesterday. But I will give credit when it’s due. I just don’t think it was due yesterday.

As for nobody being great going forward, McNulty with his three goals and Docherty with his two assists and a goal might disagree. Or is that just an opinion?

@hibs.net private member
    No easy games in our league but I expect us to win on Wednesday. Bit of pay back for our defeat up there
    To be honest, Hamilton, St Mirren, St Johnstone and Ross County are pretty easy games that teams who actually are organised should be beating with ease. We just make things too difficult for ourselves most games, which is why we hardly win anymore.

Ah, what you think is a fact and whatever someone else thinks is an opinion. Excellent.

You’re correct, I won’t re-evaluate yesterday. But I will give credit when it’s due. I just don’t think it was due yesterday.

As for nobody being great going forward, McNulty with his three goals and Docherty with his two assists and a goal might disagree. Or is that just an opinion?
    It's a fact that he was instrumental in stopping BSC scoring. I can prove that by showing you the incidents.

His performance being garbage is clearly an opinion because others disagree.

Refusing to even consider re-evaluating is the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 10-02-2020 at 11:32 AM.

It's a fact that he was instrumental in stopping BSC scoring. I can prove that by showing you the incidents.

His performance being garbage is clearly an opinion because others disagree.

Refusing to even consider re-evaluating is the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears.
    I’ve not actually criticised his defensive side, I actually highlighted an occasion where he did that job well. It doesn't change my opinion on his overall performance though. Your assertion that he was in some way critical to our defensive performance is also an opinion, going by your own logic, because I disagree with it. For me, how poor he was with the ball offset the positive he did without it (which I think is being greatly exaggerated) and I why I come to the conclusion I did.

I hope he’s not in the team on Wednesday because I think he’s offering nowhere near enough. If he is in the team I hope he plays well, in which case I’ll be happy to say he did.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I’ve not actually criticised his defensive side, I actually highlighted an occasion where he did that job well. It doesn't change my opinion on his overall performance though. Your assertion that he was in some way critical to our defensive performance is also an opinion, going by your own logic, because I disagree with it. For me, how poor he was with the ball offset the positive he did without it (which I think is being greatly exaggerated) and I why I come to the conclusion I did.

I hope he’s not in the team on Wednesday because I think he’s offering nowhere near enough. If he is in the team I hope he plays well, in which case I’ll be happy to say he did.
    FWIW I agree with all that you have said about Horgan.

I think he’s a better player than he is showing just now. I think he needs benched for a while and I think he still has something to offer coming off the bench as an impact player. When he’s starting games he’s not offering anything nearly enough just now, and that very much includes yesterday when in my opinion, he was very poor again.

There may have been mitigating circumstances yesterday but I don’t thibk people are judging him solely on yesterday’s match, he’s not offered enough for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    It’s a really tough decision for Ross if everyone is fit.

2 up top is most people’s preference especially with having McNulty and Doidge. That then more or less leaves us with 4 in midfield with Boyle being one of them in a wider position.

Allan, Newell, Whittikar, Omeonga and Docherty are all either in form or our best player and would be expexting to start however competing for the same position.

Can Whittikar play again after 90 mins yesterday?

The defence needs changed but little to no options to do so.

For me I’d go with, if fit:

...........................Marciano......

McGinn......Jackson...........Hanlon.......Stevens on.....

Boyle.........Docherty..........Omeonga.........Al lan........

......................McNulty.......Doidge...

Allan on the left as he naturally drifts out there and then can cut in to his strong right foot for the reverse pass. Keep a tight 4 when out of possession.

Omeonga just in ahead of Newell as I’m unsure if he will be fit and I think with Docherty bombing on he will go with Omeonga to sit and break up play. Unfortunate for Newell as I think he’s been brilliant recently.

McNulty and Doidge both have goals and if given the right service will score, plenty players in that team to help them do so.
    Shows how strong we are in the middle of the park, considering we also have Halberg who hasn't done much wrong even out of his natural position and Mallan to come back in. Slivka is a good player too when he's at it.

Scott Allan
    Docherty
    Omeonga
    Halberg
    Newell
    Mallan

Very strong centrally

Marciano

Mcginn
    Jackson
    Hanlon

Boyle
    Omeonga
    Docherty
    Allan
    Stevenson

Doidge
    Mcnulty

I still can't work out what the point of the winter break was?

Even taking the Dundee Utd replay out the equation our schedule leading up to it and after it has been absolutely hectic. Players must be knackered.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    FWIW I agree with all that you have said about Horgan.

I think he’s a better player than he is showing just now. I think he needs benched for a while and I think he still has something to offer coming off the bench as an impact player. When he’s starting games he’s not offering anything nearly enough just now, and that very much includes yesterday when in my opinion, he was very poor again.

There may have been mitigating circumstances yesterday but I don’t thibk people are judging him solely on yesterday’s match, he’s not offered enough for a while now.
    It’s not so long ago that I would have been looking for Horgan to be in the team. But I think, with the exception of a few occasions where he’s made an impact of the bench, he’s been poor for ages now. Unless we play the diamond, I think that position on the left is a bit of a problem just now.

You just know Oli Shaw is scoring the winner
    Hopefully not the winner, but it's a nap he scores.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I still can't work out what the point of the winter break was?

Even taking the Dundee Utd replay out the equation our schedule leading up to it and after it has been absolutely hectic. Players must be knackered.
    I agree totally ….there is no need for a winter break.....hope it gets abolished next year

Your assertion that he was in some way critical to our defensive performance is also an opinion, going by your own logic, because I disagree with it.
    How can something I can prove be an opinion?

I can show you at least 3 occasions where DH rescued our defence. He was good defensively. Given the shape of our defence, maybe that was part of the role he was given.

It would be like me saying that I am taller than Darren McGregor and you saying it was an opinion because you disagreed.

I don't think Daryl was great going forward, neither was Martin Boyle on the other side, but Horgan was important defensively. None of that is opinion.

If that equates to being garbage then we'll have to agree to disagree on the definition.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

How can something I can prove be an opinion?

I can show you at least 3 occasions where DH rescued our defence. He was good defensively. Given the shape of our defence, maybe that was part of the role he was given.

It would be like me saying that I am taller than Darren McGregor and you saying it was an opinion because you disagreed.

I don't think Daryl was great going forward, neither was Martin Boyle on the other side, but Horgan was important defensively. None of that is opinion.

If that equates to being garbage then we'll have to agree to disagree on the definition.
    You do realise it was you that applied that logic (that something can only be classed as an opinion if others disagree) in an earlier post?

Anyway, you’re right, let’s agree to disagree. I thought he was crap, you didn’t. You’re completely ignoring the part of my last post where I said he was fine defensively but that didn’t merit him being praised overall IMO.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 10-02-2020 at 12:34 PM.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Bad day today Ragde??

The guy is hardly slating Horgan, what you getting so worked up about?!!

Stick the young guys in now.
    Good for their development and seems they are good enough.

Horgan was poor yesterday, he’s been poor all season. Jack Ross has given him a number of opportunities from the start now and he’s failed to impress time and time again.

Disappointing but he can have no complaints if he’s back on the bench for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    To be honest, Hamilton, St Mirren, St Johnstone and Ross County are pretty easy games that teams who actually are organised should be beating with ease. We just make things too difficult for ourselves most games, which is why we hardly win anymore.
    The 4th best team in the league since the new man came in. 3 wins and a draw since returning from Christmas and a great draw in the Scottish cup.

This kind of relentless negativity makes more determined to support and stand up for my team. I thank you

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Not sure what’s happened with Hallberg of late. Came in late yesterday and looked comfortable

You do realise it was you that applied that logic (that something can only be classed as an opinion if others disagree) in an earlier post?
    That wasn't my point.

I nearly wrote "as you know" but I'll take your word for it that you didn't understand it.

You can disagree with an opinion. People disagreed that Horgan was "Garbage".

You can't disagree with a fact. I can show you Horgan's defensive contributions ergo it's a fact.

Sure,byou can deny that fact, but that's the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears.

I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Bad day today Ragde??

The guy is hardly slating Horgan, what you getting so worked up about?!!
    What's a slating if "He was garbage" isn't?

I'm perfectly calm, though. Just pointlessly debating.

That wasn't my point.

I nearly wrote "as you know" but I'll take your word for it that you didn't understand it.

You can disagree with an opinion. People disagreed that Horgan was "Garbage".

You can't disagree with a fact. I can show you Horgan's defensive contributions ergo it's a fact.

Sure,byou can deny that fact, but that's the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears.

I'm done.
    After all that, I’m glad you’re done. Maybe try to take on board the fact that I didn’t criticise his defensive contribution though....
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 10-02-2020 at 12:56 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Rocky

McGinn Jackson Hanlon Stevenson

Omeonga

Docherty Newall

Boyle

Doidge McNulty

After all that, I’m glad you’re done. Maybe try to take on board the fact that I didn’t criticise his defensive contribution though....
    No, you didn't.

However, you pointedly refused to give him any credit for the good things he did.

"You’re correct, I won’t re-evaluate yesterday. But I will give credit when it’s due. I just don’t think it was due yesterday."