hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably not and I was maybe a bit harsh with my choice of words when I said not interested, should have said not as good as I thought he would be, especially considering the opposition
    Glad that you've toned down on Docherty as it didn't look as if any player wasn't interested and that they were all battling to play any type football given the conditions and that BSC weren't as easy a touch as many predicted. We did very well to come away scoring four goals and I thought the team put in a good shift despite the elements.

Mon the Hibs

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Shouldn't that work the other way round?

He is, I wasnt the one giving people pelters because of their opinion was I.

Quote Originally Posted by Deejk107 View Post
    Fantastic write up as always, can't believe some people on here slating Doherty when he carried Omeonga and Horgan on his back for the entirety of their time on the park. The latter especially disappointing with his inability to literally do anything but lose the ball.

Was slated in the match thread for it but I dont think Lewis solely deserves blame for the goal as Marciano was rooted on his line for the cross as always. Easy work for a competent goalkeeper, something we've lacked for my entire life supporting hibs. Delighted we're through but I would only give Doherty and McNulty pass marks. Compare the performance today to the performance a couple years ago at Bonnyrigg and it speaks volumes, much better is needed, seen a lot of people talk about the wind etc but there's a very simple solution, keep the ball on the deck.
    We currently have 2 competent goalkeepers. You're not going to see better here. They make mistakes but they're as good as their jobs as any outfield player we've got.

Good for McNulty to get 90 minutes and three goals and to get used to playing with Doidge.
    Now the question is how do we fit those two in the side with Allan and Boyle?
    The Diamond doesn't really suit Boyle and there's no room for Allan in a flat 4-4-2 (not sure Horgan is up to a regular start on the left either)
    Will it be 3-5-2 on Wednesday? I'm definitely not in a hurry to see McGinn and Stevenson used in more central positions again, so we could do with Jackson and McGregor getting back to full fitness.
    But then where does Newell fit in? And Hallberg has rapidly gone from a first pick to out of the picture.
    Mostly good problems to have. It will be interesting to see how we set up against Ross County...

Interesting Reporting Scotland summary of the game.

‘Despite many chances BSC could only pull 1 goal back’

‘Meanwhile Celtic eased past Clyde’

Clyde had more attempts on goal than BSC

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    He is, I wasnt the one giving people pelters because of their opinion was I.

"Didnt look interested at all for most of the game"

Is that an opinion? Looks more like a statement of fact to me.

In either case it's a total waste of bandwidth (in my opinion, and that of a few others it would seeem).

Good report as ever. For me it was job done in a game we (the players) couldn't really win for obvious reasons. Conditions were poor, and we played some good stuff at times, they also gave a decent account of themselves. Don't think a lower league club like BSC should be wandering so easily through our defence, but then why not, everybody else does ...

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    I thought we looked like we were trying to use the game as a training exercise. Don't fly into tackles, don't get hurt, keep ticking over, you've got a game at the weekend.

Thought we should have started Gullan and Murray, who looked like they were trying to make more of an impression when they came on.

I think Barcelona would have struggled to look good yesterday

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    I thought we looked like we were trying to use the game as a training exercise. Don't fly into tackles, don't get hurt, keep ticking over, you've got a game at the weekend.
    That's the impression I got, though not a training exercise - just very disciplined/nothing daft.

Thought we should have started Gullan and Murray, who looked like they were trying to make more of an impression when they came on.
    For me it was better to make sure the job was done before bringiong them on.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    If we're going to ignore the effect of the extreme conditions, then no-one, apart from McNulty, played well.

The fact that the wind held passes up, blew the ball beyond the strikers and, for their goal, blew it beyond our defence, would all be irrelevant.

Analysing players' performances after that match can only lead to negative conclusions.

Enjoy the win and move on to Wednesday. Plenty more opportunity to lay into our players then.

If we're going to ignore the effect of the extreme conditions, then no-one, apart from McNulty, played well.

The fact that the wind held passes up, blew the ball beyond the strikers and, for their goal, blew it beyond our defence, would all be irrelevant.

Analysing players' performances after that match can only lead to negative conclusions.

Enjoy the win and move on to Wednesday. Plenty more opportunity to lay into our players then.
    Totally agree. Job done. We move on

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

Aye, but but but --------------------- what aboot that glorious chance McNulty passed up when he tried to lob the keeper? Call him a striker?, yer surely having a laugh. It looked to me as if he wasn't trying a leg.

It's a disgrace I tell ye.

@hibs.net private member
    I thought Jack Ross made the game hard for us defensively. Now I’ve never claimed to have done any coaching badges etc etc but I’ve always been under the impression that if you have a back three then it’s three CH’s and your two wing backs come back from midfield to help out to make a back five when defending.

So I’m either mistaken or he’s trying something I’ve not seen or even thought about by using one CH and two wing backs in a back three. Yes I understand we won and yes I understand the standard of the opposition but I just can’t work out why he did this.

One other thing I’ve been very critical about throw ins and not practising them and how many we seem to give the ball back to opposing teams when we win one and how many times our defenders take them, however we scored yesterday from a move started by a throw in ( by Horgan ) and looked much more urgent taking them. Maybe we’ve been practising or maybe it’s just a one off, I’m hoping we’ve been practising ( fingers crossed ).

GGTTH

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    It's easy to blame the conditions but I thought Marciano was at fault at their goal. Lewis would have needed a jetpack to reach that ball.

Defence continues to worry me.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    It's easy to blame the conditions but I thought Marciano was at fault at their goal. Lewis would have needed a jetpack to reach that ball.

Defence continues to worry me.

LS was easily bullied by their attacker but why the F is trying to mark a guy twice the size of him in the first place??? As for Marciano he definitely could have done better. I felt he was too far towards his near post as the header went in the centre of the goal. A poor one to concede. Agree with you, defence is a real concern. We were really lucky only to concede one yesterday.
    Last edited by Hermit Crab; 10-02-2020 at 01:19 PM.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    LS was easily bullied by their attacker but why the F is trying to mark a guy twice the size of him in the first place??? As for Marciano he definitely could have done better. I felt he was too far towards his near post as the header went in the centre of the goal. A poor one to concede. Agree with you, defence is a real concern. We were really lucky only to concede one yesterday.
    Our line-up left us short of big lads to defend set pieces. Lewis will often punch above his weight aerially - this time he was beaten but he often does well in these situations.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    I thought Jack Ross made the game hard for us defensively. Now I’ve never claimed to have done any coaching badges etc etc but I’ve always been under the impression that if you have a back three then it’s three CH’s and your two wing backs come back from midfield to help out to make a back five when defending.

So I’m either mistaken or he’s trying something I’ve not seen or even thought about by using one CH and two wing backs in a back three. Yes I understand we won and yes I understand the standard of the opposition but I just can’t work out why he did this.

One other thing I’ve been very critical about throw ins and not practising them and how many we seem to give the ball back to opposing teams when we win one and how many times our defenders take them, however we scored yesterday from a move started by a throw in ( by Horgan ) and looked much more urgent taking them. Maybe we’ve been practising or maybe it’s just a one off, I’m hoping we’ve been practising ( fingers crossed ).

GGTTH
    I thought much the same when I saw the line up, though I'm not sure I would describe McGinn & Lew as wingbacks, more conventional full backs. NL actually played Lew in a back 3 twice, at Ibrox where it worked & at Celtc, where it definitely didn't. I think if it had been 2 0 at h/t we would have stayed with that shape but the goal meant he moved Whitty to a back 4. As a result we didn't have so much midfield possession but shored up at the back. Was an unusual 352 formation but we're in next round & that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I thought much the same when I saw the line up, though I'm not sure I would describe McGinn & Lew as wingbacks, more conventional full backs. NL actually played Lew in a back 3 twice, at Ibrox where it worked & at Celtc, where it definitely didn't. I think if it had been 2 0 at h/t we would have stayed with that shape but the goal meant he moved Whitty to a back 4. As a result we didn't have so much midfield possession but shored up at the back. Was an unusual 352 formation but we're in next round & that's all that matters.
    I thought it was a crap formation, close to being a good one and we improved once the obvious change was made.

The most important thing is that we got away with it.

Since the winter break I’ve not really been impressed with Ross’ tactics and the way we’ve started games but I do actually like the fact that he seems to be adaptable, open to experimentation and able to change a game to salvage an improved result.

He should get a reasonable amount of leeway this season, but my biggest bugbear is the 451 at home which doesn’t suit our players and too often sees us take too long in games to get started. He needs to either find a starting team who can play this way or do something different.

And he won’t be getting much leeway next season, when he’s had a couple of transfer windows to make his mark on the squad.
    Last edited by Smartie; 10-02-2020 at 07:10 PM.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Today it was a matter of job done even though it wasn’t pretty at times. The conditions were horrific and made the whole game a bit of a farce at times but we’re still in the cup and have been rewarded with a quarter final tie at Easter Road against Inverness Caley.

It would be easy to lambast the team for making such a hard job of beating the Lowland League part timers but the inescapable fact is that even the best of players would struggle in such conditions. Whenever the ball was punted into the air it became a lottery in trying to gauge its flight and defenders on both sides had their work cut out. Having said that there were too many occasions when the Hibs rearguard played the ball across the face of our box, inviting unnecessary pressure.

There was no sign of Scott Allan today, perhaps his absence being one of the couple that Jack Ross alluded to in his pre match interview. With Jackson also absent and Ross maybe reluctant to risk McGregor on the synthetic surface, Hibs set up with three at the back in the shape of McGinn, Hanlon and Stevenson although Whittaker was sitting deep and ready to slot in when BSC had possession. On the matter of the playing surface I’ve said many times before that I’m not a fan but credit to Alloa for replacing their rubber pellets effort with what seemed a very good surface (still firmly of the view that football should be played on grass though).

In a brisk start to the game, BSC’s McNab was booked for a crude tackle on Horgan and I feared that this was just a sign of what was to come but credit to BSC, they played decent football and crunching tackles were few and far between. With passes and crosses invariably being over hit due to the strong wind there were few real chances of note but around the ten minute mark a glorious through ball from Boyle found McNulty racing into the box. Marc took a touch and slipped past his marker before shooting low past Marshall in the BSC goal.

Minutes later, Doidge was foiled by a fine Marshall block and when the ball fell to Docherty he too saw his effort blocked and cleared. At the other end, Horgan of all people popped up deep inside the Hibs box to clear the danger as McNab lurked nearby. Next, a poor headed clearance by Hanlon allowed Orr to fire in a low effort which Marciano dived to his right to save low down.

On the half hour, a determined Greg Docherty won the ball on the wide left before looking up and spotting McNulty in the box. The pass was perfect and McNulty wasted no time in shooting the ball high into the net. I felt that Hibs took their foot off the gas at this point and the hosts made them pay when centre back Smith outmuscled Stevenson in the jump and headed home at the far post with Marciano stranded. With a good five minutes of the half left, Hibs were all over the place in terms of getting and retaining possession of the ball but BSC were unable to capitalise.

Hibs were out sharp following the break but for the first fifteen minutes they struggled with the flight of the ball and BSC grew in confidence. Hibs did get a couple of shots away but Marshall saved both quite easily before Hanlon was short with a pass to Stevenson and had to rely on Marciano blocking a shot from Orr.

With around twenty minutes left, Hibs eased the growing concern amongst the travelling support when Docherty won the ball near the half way line, looked up and struck a fabulous ball over the top of the BSC defenders and right onto the foot of McNulty who calmly stroked the ball beyond Marshall to make it 3-1.

Hibs now settled into a good pattern of play and BSC looked a beaten side. Doidge should have made it 4-1 but after rounding the keeper he hit the side netting from a sharp angle. Fraser Murray who had replaced Horgan earlier, glided down the left side and picked out McNulty in the box but the hat trick hero was crowded out before he could get a shot away.

With around ten minutes left, Gullan replaced Omeonga and within a few minutes of arriving he’d forced Marshall into a fine save and then combined with McNulty to set up Docherty for the fourth goal.

As I’ve said earlier, it wasn’t pretty but given the horrendous conditions I’m just glad there were no banana skins on the playing surface.

The players

Marciano – Rocky didn’t really have a lot to do if truth be told. He had no chance with the goal but was sharp enough to read the danger when Hanlon’s pass put Orr in possession.

McGinn – A solid performance but like others he struggled at times with the conditions. I do like him though and I think he is going about making the right back position his own.

Hanlon – Slack passes at the back and aimless passes forward were too much in evidence today. Paul is better than that and when the wind isn’t blowing a gale he’ll go on to confirm that in the weeks ahead.

Stevenson – It has to be said that his poor effort at the BSC goal is a black mark but there were also a couple of times that his reading of the play resulted in important tackles being made.

Whittaker – Steven sat deep and slotted into the three when danger threatened. Overall, I thought he had a solid game, again.

Boyle – Other than the super pass for the first goal, Martin wasn’t as involved as I’d like him to have been.

Omeonga – Non stop running and some great challenges but the wee man was often to be found watching the ball sail over his head.

Docherty – Two assists and a goal is a good haul in anybody’s book. Marry that to his athleticism and pace and you’ve got a player I’d like to see at Hibs long term. Greg came very close to winning my man of the match award.

Horgan – Took a dull one inside the first five minutes but got up and got on with it. Frustratingly, he gets into decent positions but his final ball is wayward more often than not.

McNulty – Marc got the full ninety minutes and that will undoubtedly help his match fitness level. All three goals were well taken and it’s difficult to ignore a hat trick performance when giving him man of the match. As I said, Docherty ran him close but Marc just edged it.

Doidge – A bit of a mixed bag today, as he seemed to struggle as much as anyone with the flight of the ball. Having rounded the keeper he should really have scored or perhaps even picked out his unmarked team mate in the six yard box.

Murray – Fraser got half an hour and did pretty well, especially after he moved over to the right. I’m pretty sure it was him that started the move for the fourth goal.

Hallberg – Replaced Omeonga and did ok without setting the heather on fire.

Gullan – Jamie brought out a fine save by Marshall and was instrumental in setting up Docherty for the fourth goal.

Jack Ross – I’m not sure if he will be entirely happy but given that we got through to the next round he can be satisfied at that.

The fans – A decent support, many of whom got soaked as well as battered by the wind.

Alan Newlands – The ref got a couple of things wrong but otherwise was rarely seen, which is the sign of a good performance.
    Agree with most but disagree with comment on Stevenson at the goal . 5ft 9inch Stevenson against a giant . No way he could get to the ball . For me Hanlon Whittaker or McGinn should have been at the back post .

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post

GGTTH
    I’m not Horgan’s biggest fan but he is alert beyond those means at throw ins. Urgency at throw ins has to surely start. When Gray moves to take a throw in I’m convinced we remain mesmerised, mystified even, by that beautiful, magical Berwick upon Tweed of his.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I dont know what some of the people watch that comment on here. I can only imagine its the rangers connection that is making people come out with this stuff. Him and Sparky were the best players on the park today.
    Best players by a mile. Some peoples eyes are painted on I think.