hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gullan

I don’t think Murray is pacey at all, rarely see him run away from a player in a 1 v 1 scenario, actually he rarely takes him on at all and goes for the safe infield pass. He also has to learn how to use his body better.

I don’t think Murray is a winger at all but he is composed and technically decent enough on the ball. Good passing, sharp turns and a good touch - He is a number 10 imo but is miles behind Allan and Mallan for that position.

He’s a decent player but doesn’t seem to have progressed since his first involvement several years ago, he’s desperate for a loan stint imo.

Gullan on the other hand has the pace, power and trickery to take boys on and get past them. I think it’s evident he’s been on loan twice and done well. He also has the bit of swagger about him and belief in himself, what was it 1 minute he was on today before he spun the defender and struck a good shot with his weaker foot.

For me Gullan would be ahead of Horgan for the left of the front 3 come Wednesday if that’s the formation we were to go for. With McNulty scoring a hat trick he may feel the need to go two up top and then it’s a question if he fancies/trust Gullan on the left of a 4.

Imo Gullan is similar to the boy James Scott who just left Motherwell for 1.5 million.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bulk up quite a bit? God knows what you'd have said about Riordan.
    Swap him for Bobby Mann

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Guy looked sharp and definitely needs more chances with the 1st team.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Done well. Admittedly it was 20 mins or so against BSC Glasgow but he looked a better option than Shaw imo.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Our managers need to get rid of the fear of giving youth a chance starting with gullan no point in recalling someone from loan and not using them .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    Our managers need to get rid of the fear of giving youth a chance starting with gullan no point in recalling someone from loan and not using them .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    It’s a nice thought but we’ve got some very good attacking players. We can’t just leave them out for the sake of giving Gullan a chance.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    It’s a nice thought but we’ve got some very good attacking players. We can’t just leave them out for the sake of giving Gullan a chance.

True but there’s a balance to be struck and I’m not convinced we’ve got it right.

Witness Innes Murray, extended contract and sent out on loan aged 21 after zero first team football with us. What is the point?

@hibs.net private member
    Not seen much of Gullan so difficult to pass comment. To me Murray seems to fall into the same bracket as the likes of Stanton, Handling, Booth, Wotherspoon etc....tidy enough footballers but just missing that extra something, whether that be pace/aggression/skill/confidence, that sets them apart from other players of their age. Some of our youth products have been able to forge themselves a career at lower end premier league/championship level and they deserve credit for that. Unfortunately this does little to benefit Hibs, Porteous aside (and he has some maturing to do) we've not produced any youngsters for around 10 years who have been able to stake a claim for a regular starting place.
    Last edited by hibee-boys; 10-02-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    True but there’s a balance to be struck and I’m not convinced we’ve got it right.

Witness Innes Murray, extended contract and sent out on loan aged 21 after zero first team football with us. What is the point?
    I’d agree to an extent. I do want to see the youngsters like Murray and Gullan get more opportunities. But it can’t be at the expense of players like Doidge, Boyle, Allan, Docherty, Omeonga, McNulty etc. With that in mind, I’m not quite sure how we go about it.

@hibs.net private member
    I’d agree to an extent. I do want to see the youngsters like Murray and Gullan get more opportunities. But it can’t be at the expense of players like Doidge, Boyle, Allan, Docherty, Omeonga, McNulty etc. With that in mind, I’m not quite sure how we go about it.
    If there was ever a chance to give the likes of Murray and Gullan a start it was yesterday but Jack Ross obviously did not want to take the risk. No danger he'll be starting any of our youngers players just to 'give them a chance' unless he feels they offer something different/better than what is available, and neither he should. It's his neck on the line and I can't see Hibs fans letting him off the hook if we get beat Wednesday night on the basis that "aw well, at least Gullan and Murray got 90 mins!".

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    If there was ever a chance to give the likes of Murray and Gullan a start it was yesterday but Jack Ross obviously did not want to take the risk. No danger he'll be starting any of our youngers players just to 'give them a chance' unless he feels they offer something different/better than what is available, and neither he should. It's his neck on the line and I can't see Hibs fans letting him off the hook if we get beat Wednesday night on the basis that "aw well, at least Gullan and Murray got 90 mins!".
    Agree. Although we made hard work of it for 70 mins or so yesterday with our first team out, so it was probably justified going with a strong starting 11 yesterday.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    Swap him for Bobby Mann
    That suggestion came from Inverness although people used it as a stick with which to beat Williamson.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I'd happily leave out Horgan, very inconsistent and blows out his erse after 30 mins, he's had about 3 good games since he came and if it's true he's one of our higher earners, then I'd be happy to see Gullan getting more game time and Horgan moved on in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I'd happily leave out Horgan, very inconsistent and blows out his erse after 30 mins, he's had about 3 good games since he came and if it's true he's one of our higher earners, then I'd be happy to see Gullan getting more game time and Horgan moved on in the summer.
    He’s the one I’d leave out if I had to as well. Not done nearly enough in his time here imo.

He’s the one I’d leave out if I had to as well. Not done nearly enough in his time here imo.

He was the type of player that we tend to look at, between 21 -24 years old with potential, unfortunately a bit like Slivka, he hasn't improved one bit and if anything has gone backwards in his game play.