hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

Greatest Stones song

Well it's been talked about on the Beatles thread so why not.

For me Honky Tonk Women will always be top but honourable mentions for a few ballads, Angie, Moonlight Mile, Wild Horses and Memory Motel.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well it's been talked about on the Beatles thread so why not.

For me Honky Tonk Women will always be top but honourable mentions for a few ballads, Angie, Moonlight Mile, Wild Horses and Memory Motel.
    Paint it black

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Not the biggest Stones fan but do like them. Preferred their early R&B sound and got the albums from Decembers Children - Between The Buttons.

As for their best song, got to be either Gimme Shelter, Paint It Black or Sympathy For The Devil. Although I like the simplicity and pop-iness of something like Connection or Under My Thumb.

Sympathy For The Devil
    Get Off Of My Cloud
    Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
    Waiting On A Friend

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Gimme Shelter
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Big fan of Out of Time although also like the Chris Farlowe version.

I was recently given a box of vinyl that had been gathering dust in a friends parents attic. Most of it was rubbish 50s stuff tbh but there was a mint copy of “Let it Bleed”. Virtually perfect condition and probably worth about £200, not that I’d sell it. That kinda got me back into the Stones and been listening to that and Sticky Fingers from time to time.

Not bad band - Tumbling Dice for me ...

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Slightly off topic - only a casual fan and was taken along to the Murrayfield gig in 2018. What a fantastic live band, even in their seventies. Would have loved to have seen them when they would have been at their peak.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Blog Entries
    I really liked their early stuff like Oh Carol, Route 66 and I’m a King Bee.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Not bad band - Tumbling Dice for me ...
    Glad to see my suggestion of a Stones thread was taken up, I think that makes me an ‘influencer’ but to be honest I’m not really sure what that actually means . But if I can monetise it then I’m not complaining........

Once again, I agree with you on music. Great song and great album. The Stones do a couple of standard types of song. There is the laconic tune, sometimes slow, sometimes quicker, and ‘Tumbling Dice’ fits into that category perfectly.

They are also the masters of the up-tempo, driven track and for me ‘Let’s Spend The Night Together’ is the epitome, loaded up with a catchy hook. I heard a show on Radio 3 the other day about ‘popular’ music explaining the appeal of a backing chorus and how we are almost tuned to respond to it. One of the examples they used was the backing chorus in ‘California Dreamin’’ by the Mamas and the Papas, everyone sings along to the backing chorus not to the lead vocal. ‘Let’s Spend The Night Together’ is similar, where one feels obliged to sing the ‘Bada-bada-ba-ba-bah-ba-ba’ rather than Jagger’s vocals.

I agree with shouts for ‘Gimme Shelter’, Surely one of the most iconic intros in the history of rock.

Final shout would be for ‘Wild Horses’, it just stumbles its way along in this beautiful, elegiac fashion. More than the sum of its parts.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Too many great songs, we decided years ago that it has to be a best album for The Stones.

If pushed for a single Gimme Shelter today a different answer tomorrow.

I'm not actually a massive Stones fan, but Gimme Shelter is up there with the best songs of all time imo. That intro, the backing vocals....

I'm assuming most folk on here will have seen 20 feet from stardom but I just love the bit where the backing singer talks about how her part in this song comes about. The look of pride on her face, Jagger's wee smile.

A masterpiece.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Beast of Burden

Jumpin’ Jack Flash, top Keith riffing.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Most of the above but also like It's the Singer Not the Song.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Sympathy for the Devil for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

Once again, I agree with you on music. Great song and great album. The Stones do a couple of standard types of song. There is the laconic tune, sometimes slow, sometimes quicker, and ‘Tumbling Dice’ fits into that category perfectly.
    I read somewhere that Jagger wanted the song speeded up as he felt it was too slow, but Keef stuck to his guns and forced through the "laid-back groove" I think they got it spot on - Wyman wasn't on bass, strangely, Taylor did the duties for some reason ... for me, it was their last great album? A wee while ago now ...

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Another hige catalogue to choose from. My fav justnow is you got me rockung...live @ copacabana in 2006
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Some Girls is probably my favourite Stones LP.

Miss you, Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me), Beast of Burden. All brilliant tracks

Wild horses is epic.

Sympathy for the devil is superb.

Brown sugar

There's too many they are just amazing

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It’s hard to pick one, but I’ll go for time on my side. There was a film that used that song all the way through, but I can’t remember what it was called.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It’s hard to pick one, but I’ll go for time on my side. There was a film that used that song all the way through, but I can’t remember what it was called.
    If it’s the one about the serial killer who is executed but then there are copycat murders, and Denzel Washington plays the cop who had arrested him, it was called ‘Fallen’.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    If it’s the one about the serial killer who is executed but then there are copycat murders, and Denzel Washington plays the cop who had arrested him, it was called ‘Fallen’.
    That’s the one, I loved that film. Every time he moves to another body he either sings or whistles that song.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Under My Thumb, Gimme Shelter, She's A Rainbow are all belters. Sympathy For The Devil is near perfection.

Even think Doom & Gloom is a spectacular song for a band who had been around for so long at the time.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Slightly off topic - only a casual fan and was taken along to the Murrayfield gig in 2018. What a fantastic live band, even in their seventies. Would have loved to have seen them when they would have been at their peak.
    I saw them at the Usher Hall when they were in their prime. Emphasis in the word "saw" as you couldn't hear them for the screaming (… and no, I wasn't screaming)

Not entirely sure why but I really liked the song Ruby Tuesday"
    This is how it feels

All Down The Line.
    I thought the Mick Taylor years were their best musically. They became a hard-edged rock band and started filling stadiums.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Sitting here in the sunshine (of Lanzarote) listening to a lot of these "classic" Stones tracks after reading this thread, I love the pop hits but really lose myself in the earlier R&B tracks that Jagger & Richards curated together.

Anyways, as modern tech would have it, I'm listening to the tracks on Deezer and my Google assistant pops up and lets me know the Stones will be performing in Florida when I'm over there for my summer hols,,,,5 minutes later I've got myself 3 tickets for the boys in Tampa on the 5th of July, so thanks to Hiber-nation and the rest of you contributing,,,,

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Sitting here in the sunshine (of Lanzarote) listening to a lot of these "classic" Stones tracks after reading this thread, I love the pop hits but really lose myself in the earlier R&B tracks that Jagger & Richards curated together.

Anyways, as modern tech would have it, I'm listening to the tracks on Deezer and my Google assistant pops up and lets me know the Stones will be performing in Florida when I'm over there for my summer hols,,,,5 minutes later I've got myself 3 tickets for the boys in Tampa on the 5th of July, so thanks to Hiber-nation and the rest of you contributing,,,,
    Awesome! Seen them at Hampden as part of the Bigger Bang tour. Unbelievable show & spectacle. Some spot to see them too!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post

Sounds like a great place to see them. Don't go to Busch Gardens on the 4th as some clown did a few years ago, fast pass sold out and park filled to capacity.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Paint it black
    Agreed.