hibs.net Messageboard

 

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 121 to 149 of 149
  1. #121
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    8,384
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rubbish been to Madchester a lot and not a match for Glasgow or London fashion wise. On the punk side Edinburgh was more a venue for the early punk movement than Glasgow. Prior to that the big bands often played Glasgow and not Edinburgh. We had much more stylish punk fans as well.


    Aye The Rezillos

    Naw they were Faye Fife

    I cant stand my baby

    I think I’m going radge!

    Brilliant!


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #122
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Aye The Rezillos

    Naw they were Faye Fife

    I cant stand my baby

    I think I’m going radge!

    Brilliant!
    SKIDS from Dunfermline.

  4. #123
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    57
    Posts
    8,644
    Dunfermline isn’t Edinburgh and Faye herself says TheRezillos we’re never a punk outfit.
    Manchester over Glasgow in every respect of your benchmarks from punks to clobber. To suggest otherwise indicates a basic lack of style.

  5. #124
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    8,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dunfermline isn’t Edinburgh and Faye herself says TheRezillos we’re never a punk outfit.
    Manchester over Glasgow in every respect of your benchmarks from punks to clobber. To suggest otherwise indicates a basic lack of style.
    Yip! Saw that interview with Faye Fife

    Faye Fife and Eugene Reynolds once turned up unannounced at a party I was having in my flat in Brunswick Street

    I’m in with the incrowd!

  6. #125
    First Team Breakthrough KingPat4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bollox it is. Manchester is fashionably superior to either but maybe not in flassy sense.
    Also have to say, Edinburgh punk bands were obscure bar The Scars. Post punk we came into our own.
    The Exploited were obscure?

  7. #126
    Testimonial Due kaimendhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kaimend
    Posts
    3,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bollox it is. Manchester is fashionably superior to either but maybe not in flassy sense.
    Also have to say, Edinburgh punk bands were obscure bar The Scars. Post punk we came into our own.
    Exploited. The valves.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  8. #127
    Testimonial Due kaimendhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kaimend
    Posts
    3,428
    Remember the Rezillos playing Craigmillar Festival at the Jack Kane. Some of the crowd jumped on stage and attacked them and destroyed the gear.
    Was shocking to see

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  9. #128
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having had my head booted onto Trongate one night by repeat offenders, I beg to differ. Edinburgh is a far better night out. You’ve lost you’re mind.
    Edinburgh city centre's never exactly been a peaceful haven of calm and serenity either.

    Lothian Road used to be infamous for trouble.

    But, I suppose personal experience weighs heavily.

    Mind you, I once got a knife pulled on me by a Hibs fan amongst throngs of Hibs fans walking along Duke Street after a Hearts game. The boy wanted money. I told him that I only had 10p but I needed money for my bus fare. He gave me 5p change.

    Now, depending on your point of view, that proves Edinburgh is good or bad or somewhere in between. I can't remember exactly the exact sums of money involved but it's true.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  10. #129
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Airth
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Edinburgh city centre's never exactly been a peaceful haven of calm and serenity either.

    Lothian Road used to be infamous for trouble.

    But, I suppose personal experience weighs heavily.

    Mind you, I once got a knife pulled on me by a Hibs fan amongst throngs of Hibs fans walking along Duke Street after a Hearts game. The boy wanted money. I told him that I only had 10p but I needed money for my bus fare. He gave me 5p change.

    Now, depending on your point of view, that proves Edinburgh is good or bad or somewhere in between. I can't remember exactly the exact sums of money involved but it's true.
    That’s an incredibly civil-sounding mugging, Edinburgh in a nut shell.

  11. #130
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    42
    Posts
    40,059
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rubbish been to Madchester a lot and not a match for Glasgow or London fashion wise. On the punk side Edinburgh was more a venue for the early punk movement than Glasgow. Prior to that the big bands often played Glasgow and not Edinburgh. We had much more stylish punk fans as well.
    Manchester is well ahead of Glasgow, IMHO.

    Better night out as well.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

  12. #131
    @hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    2,964
    As someone who lives in Glasgow some of the comments on here are pretty laughable, some for the wrong reasons.

    Glasgow and Edinburgh are much the same, some good bits and some bad bits. There are nice pubs and areas you don't want to go to in both and both have great architecture and cultural activities as well as both having their fair share of headbangers. Fighting over which is better is like two bald guys fighting over a comb.

  13. #132
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    11,919
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As someone who lives in Glasgow some of the comments on here are pretty laughable, some for the wrong reasons.

    Glasgow and Edinburgh are much the same, some good bits and some bad bits. There are nice pubs and areas you don't want to go to in both and both have great architecture and cultural activities as well as both having their fair share of headbangers. Fighting over which is better is like two bald guys fighting over a comb.
    Rather than 2 bald guys fighting over a comb, I think they’re both great cities and it is brilliant that a small country like Scotland can have 2 proper cities that are totally different so close to each other.

    The “which is better” chat is tedious - and generally you don’t hear one of the more appealing Glaswegian personality traits when they’re forcing an opinion on you (I’m sure the opposite is true, this is simply a fight I never pick).

  14. #133
    @hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rather than 2 bald guys fighting over a comb, I think they’re both great cities and it is brilliant that a small country like Scotland can have 2 proper cities that are totally different so close to each other.

    The “which is better” chat is tedious - and generally you don’t hear one of the more appealing Glaswegian personality traits when they’re forcing an opinion on you (I’m sure the opposite is true, this is simply a fight I never pick).
    Yeah, it was a poor analogy to use as I love both cities.

  15. #134
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dunfermline isn’t Edinburgh and Faye herself says TheRezillos we’re never a punk outfit.
    Manchester over Glasgow in every respect of your benchmarks from punks to clobber. To suggest otherwise indicates a basic lack of style.
    Manchester in the new wave yes but style that is in the eye if the beholder. Manchester had it in the new wave but Edinburgh in the punk era. Glasgow defo has it now. Have you been to madchester recenty?

  16. #135
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought it was him I saw on the tele!
    Expected a West End luvvie to be viewing from the comfort of the grandstand, so good to see him enjoying himself on the terraces

    https://twitter.com/kirkgunn3/status...147366400?s=12

  17. #136
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    57
    Posts
    8,644
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Manchester in the new wave yes but style that is in the eye if the beholder. Manchester had it in the new wave but Edinburgh in the punk era. Glasgow defo has it now. Have you been to madchester recenty?
    Yes, many times. Love the place. Manchester gave punk rock to the North as any punk knows. Repeatedly calling it madchester dilutes your already losing argument.
    New wave. What you on about?

  18. #137
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    42
    Posts
    40,059
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, many times. Love the place. Manchester gave punk rock to the North as any punk knows. Repeatedly calling it madchester dilutes your already losing argument.
    New wave. What you on about?
    Not only that, but Madchester was a scene that Glasgow could only dream about.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

  19. #138
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    57
    Posts
    8,644
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Exploited were obscure?
    No. The Exploited were great second wave punk that went metal. **** the USA? Aye right Wattie ya loveable blowhard.
    Yer Filipino gadge is talking punk I think. More first gen.

  20. #139
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    57
    Posts
    8,644
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exploited. The valves.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    The Valves. Cannot disagree.

  21. #140
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,188
    The chat about Glasgow and "fashion" has reminded me that it wasn't always thus. Around 1985-86 season we went through to Ibrox for a game and afterwards were being our usual circumspect/cheeky selves, making our way back to the bus. Before we could get there a group of around 20 or so Stickys showed up shouting at us from across the road. Nothing untoward happened just the usual bigot-banter from them but what stood out was the clothes they were wearing - like something out of a Slade Cosplay Convention, starry jumpers, oxford-bag type trousers, semi-platform shoes.

    Let me remind you this was nineteen eighty six (1986). Truly bizarre.

    When we got home we were conflicted as to whether to go to the kangaroo Club and hear the latest electro sounds or the Hooch for Yogi Houghton playing House Music (even if we didn't know that was what it was called at the time). The M8 seemed like some magical time machine.

  22. #141
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The chat about Glasgow and "fashion" has reminded me that it wasn't always thus. Around 1985-86 season we went through to Ibrox for a game and afterwards were being our usual circumspect/cheeky selves, making our way back to the bus. Before we could get there a group of around 20 or so Stickys showed up shouting at us from across the road. Nothing untoward happened just the usual bigot-banter from them but what stood out was the clothes they were wearing - like something out of a Slade Cosplay Convention, starry jumpers, oxford-bag type trousers, semi-platform shoes.

    Let me remind you this was nineteen eighty six (1986). Truly bizarre.

    When we got home we were conflicted as to whether to go to the kangaroo Club and hear the latest electro sounds or the Hooch for Yogi Houghton playing House Music (even if we didn't know that was what it was called at the time). The M8 seemed like some magical time machine.
    1986 you say?

    https://images.app.goo.gl/LcToAPBgrzju118z8
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  23. #142
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting snaps. What's the story behind them?

  24. #143
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting snaps. What's the story behind them?
    It was a long time ago so the details are a bit hazy, but I think it involves a toilet, a bottle crashing, a dashing moustachioed hero and much hilarity.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  25. #144
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was a long time ago so the details are a bit hazy, but I think it involves a toilet, a bottle crashing, a dashing moustachioed hero and much hilarity.
    Gen albert, yer kidding.

  26. #145
    First Team Breakthrough KingPat4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. The Exploited were great second wave punk that went metal. **** the USA? Aye right Wattie ya loveable blowhard.
    Yer Filipino gadge is talking punk I think. More first gen.
    Big John Duncan's after you.


  27. #146
    Testimonial Due kaimendhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kaimend
    Posts
    3,428
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Big John Duncan's after you.

    Exploited are still going. More like Hardcore now

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  28. #147
    @hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    49
    Posts
    878
    When I lived down in Selkirk I used to go along and watch them (before they went the way of the famous Glasgow Rangers). BSC played down there in their first season and their fans were the biggest ****bags going. Hated the wee wannabe huns ever since. Having said all that, their chairman seems like a pretty decent guy.

  29. #148
    @hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    49
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My best moment was near the end of the game, McGinn taking a throw in and a Hibs fan pipes up “ your better than John” and quick as a flash he replied, try telling that to my bank balance ! , comedy gold ��
    Haha, brilliant

  30. #149
    Coaching Staff monktonharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    pleasant valley eh15
    Age
    66
    Posts
    11,246
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is the West End not weegie Morningside?
    certainly aint Morningside. nice place though G12, was there with a job yesterday. bit of a studenty place, but I like Byres Road and surrounds. nice enough place, loadsae pubs and restaurants etc.subway stayion, botanic gardens etc. lots going for it and the river Kelvin.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved