hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Sentiment and intention good, it’s low cost but very low impact.

Actually combatting mental health? Not sure.

The recent budget has seen further cuts to the educational psychologist profession which doesn’t really help if ‘raising awareness’ is their only strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

2. Log in to remove the advert

The things people get themselves all het up about on here never ceases to amaze/despair me. It's a symbolic gesture that might not immediately save anyone's life, but with suicide being THE biggest killer of men under (I think) 50, should anything that at least talks about the importance of looking after self and not being ashamed of asking for help if required really be talked about as "pish"??

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1 minute to think about mental health, same as the FA Cup a few weeks ago.
    Wonder if Kris Boyd will be reflecting on his mis guided attack on LG a few weeks ago..

A small delay to raise a subject isn’t a bad thing, but it’s a bit insulting to give it a measly 1 minute.

I have a very similar gripe about the mental health in the workplace stuff. Wee flyers here and there, a presentation by someone, posters in the kitchen, maybe something on the company websites. It’s just a small token effort to make it look like they care.

If they were really committed to solving the problem they would do more. But they won’t because it takes time and money that they don’t have.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JXM73 View Post
    Apologies if my pish upset some snowflakes, point then is why wasn't this mentioned at all on match info or tickets...all state 12 noon kick off.

Least this thread got some attention, we've all had to deal with mental health, personally or otherwise...
    “Snowflakes”

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    “Snowflakes”
    And yet was infuriated by a 12:01 ko time...

Apologies if my pish upset some snowflakes, point then is why wasn't this mentioned at all on match info or tickets...all state 12 noon kick off.

Least this thread got some attention, we've all had to deal with mental health, personally or otherwise...
    "snowflakes" oh the sweet, sweet irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    The OP wasn't having a dig at mental health I think that's obvious. FWIW I think it's a brilliant idea. So many people suffering in silence so anything to raise awareness is a good idea
    The OP was ignorant in using the term “pish”. Very poor show on his/her part. The character obviously has online access and a quick Google would have revealed all. No case for the defence here.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    A small delay to raise a subject isn’t a bad thing, but it’s a bit insulting to give it a measly 1 minute.

I have a very similar gripe about the mental health in the workplace stuff. Wee flyers here and there, a presentation by someone, posters in the kitchen, maybe something on the company websites. It’s just a small token effort to make it look like they care.

If they were really committed to solving the problem they would do more. But they won’t because it takes time and money that they don’t have.
    Yeah agree with all that,does feel very much like a ticking the box exercise,that said atleast this has raised a discussion on the lack of support and services,there is help there but in no way enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    Yeah agree with all that,does feel very much like a ticking the box exercise,that said atleast this has raised a discussion on the lack of support and services,there is help there but in no way enough.
    Won’t stop those good eggs at Hampden giving themselves a pat on the back thinking they’ve done their bit.

Anything to raise even a small bit of awareness on such an important topic is a good thing IMO. Mental health is something we are all affected by one way or another, whether it be you yourself suffering or someone we know suffering. We need to do everything we can to end the stigma and get people to speak up and seek help. With suicide being the biggets killer in men under 45, football is a very good tool to use.

However, I do still feel a lot more needs to be done to tackle mental health. The whole 1 minute thing is good, its highlighted the issue but its only really symbolic. We need to make sure we have the proper help and support structures in place to help those affected.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Anything to raise even a small bit of awareness on such an important topic is a good thing IMO. Mental health is something we are all affected by one way or another, whether it be you yourself suffering or someone we know suffering. We need to do everything we can to end the stigma and get people to speak up and seek help. With suicide being the biggets killer in men under 45, football is a very good tool to use.

However, I do still feel a lot more needs to be done to tackle mental health. The whole 1 minute thing is good, its highlighted the issue but its only really symbolic. We need to make sure we have the proper help and support structures in place to help those affected.
    Well said. There is absolutely no negative aspects to this and I’m struggling to see why anyone is trying to find one.

United we stand here....

First Team Breakthrough

To be fair the first post was just misjudged and lazy.... to continue it like this is a bit strange 🤷*♂️

Testimonial Due
    Great initiative raising awareness of a major killer of our young men.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    What a weird OP and a weird reply.

Good initiative good awareness. Nothing more nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Well said. There is absolutely no negative aspects to this and I’m struggling to see why anyone is trying to find one.
    agree with you Lord B. not a subject raised enough. spend a minute, give it a thought at least. there could be someone you know/love is battling with it inwardly?

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    "snowflakes" oh the sweet, sweet irony.
    Exactly. I think any apologies to the OP for misunderstanding the 'pish' comment can be retracted. It's exactly this kind of regressive attitude that causes men particularly to bottle up their feelings and not deal with their mental wellbeing. What a horrible attitude to have.

Fortunately the majority of replies are supportive, reasonable and compassionate. It's easy to ignore that when certain individuals try and diminish anything positive, but that's what we should focus on.

Take a minute, think about why a certain friend hasn't reached out in a while. 👏

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post

Take a minute, think about why a certain friend hasn't reached out in a while. 👏

Cause they dont like me!! In all seriousness making more people aware of mental health issues is quite rightly at the forefront just now and if even one person is helped by the clubs doing this then it's a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Anything that raises awareness and gets people discussing it is a positive thing.
    It has got people talking here which is positive

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    It has got people talking here which is positive
    Completely agree w with this poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarrahib View Post
    Completely agree w with this poster.
    Thank you

First Team Breakthrough
    It’s good to see it’s generated some positive chat about mental health on this forum, but watching the game it didn’t seem to have much impact and came across as a bit tokenistic.

They could have made better use of the minute delay with banners, helpline numbers etc, instead it largely went unnoticed.

I work for a mental health charity and there’s a lot of really good work and initiatives to start conversations and let people know what help is available if or when they need it. I’m not convinced ‘Heads Up’ really hit the spot, but at least we are talking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk