hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where did I say that they shouldn’t? You do as you see fit with your money. Outside of an emotional sense it is largely Ron Gordon’s football club. I’m of the opinion club shouldnt ask for donations while we have fresh millionaire owner. Being branded a community club while doing this doesn’t ring true, club would be taking from the community (some avid fans with little cash will make sacrifices for club).

As indicated in the post you replied to - club need to have plan to get fan buy in. I’m hoping Ron’s experience with communities proves invaluable in this as I’m not sure how you get fans to contribute more than the core requirement of STs when they wish to have one. We don’t have a desperate need so the same problem that HSL suffered still exists.

Somethings in life are more important than football and a football club, if Hibs want to get a community to prioritise the club and make financial contributions beyond the norm then they will need a cunning plan. Hence why I hope for big plans as ambitions led by club go a long way.
    I tend to agree with this and your other post further up.

Unless a club is fan owned, which by his actions the new owner has made clear isn't part of his grand plan for Hibs, the first thing he did was kill that prospect stone dead, then it is very much up to the people who do own and run it to source the finance to make it successful. If that doesn't include pumping in endless wads of his own cash I expect the owner to at least be savvy enough to be able to attract funding to the club which will enable it to move forward and when he speaks tonight that's what I expect him to acknowledge.

And by that I don't mean treating the fans like a financial lemon that you can squeeze for cash until the pips squeak. There are games in this league where clubs are asking £30 for a ticket which for me is the absolute limit for pricing, go past that and you are totally taking the piss for the standard of football on offer .... don't get me wrong IMO its far from terrible and the last few games at ER have been very entertaining ... but it isn't football played by teams or players its worth £30 to watch.

As fans we should be the last resort when it comes to 'extra' funding, that being that we are the ones who step up to stop the club going to the wall if such a situation arises ... Apart from buying STs or walk up tickets our loyalty should not be exploited beyond the usual stuff fans tolerate like paying £44 for what is in effect a T shirt you could get for £20 in Matalan or £5.20 for a beefy drink and a pie that would cost you around £3 tops in a cafe.

I've said it before. If Ron Gordon hasn't taken over this club with at least an idea of how he can take it forward financially short of sucking the fans dry then what is the point of him? We would have been as well being fan owned with HSL turned into a fan membership scheme asking for ongoing never ending donations to keep the club going, at least then we would be in practically the same position but with the fans being directly connected to the club and more willing to ante up that money on the basis that they actually own it.

Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic, but after 6 months in charge I can't say I'm enthused by the noises, or lack of them, emanating from Easter Road. After 6 months of practically total silence I expect the club in the shape of Ron Gordon to have some extremely encouraging and positive things to say at the AGM .... not aims and goals for the club that I could reel off as my ambitions for it without going to the bother of becoming a multi millionaire, but concrete proposals the fans can understand of how the money required to achieve these aims and goals can be raised that will have us walking away thinking this club has a bright future on and off the park.

Over to you Ron.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 26-02-2020 at 01:28 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

Unless a club is fan owned, which by his actions the new owner has made clear isn't part of his grand plan for Hibs, the first thing he did was kill that prospect stone dead, then it is very much up to the people who do own and run it to source the finance to make it successful. If that doesn't include pumping in endless wads of his own cash I expect the owner to at least be savvy enough to be able to attract funding to the club which will enable it to move forward and when he speaks tonight that's what I expect him to acknowledge.

And by that I don't mean treating the fans like a financial lemon that you can squeeze for cash until the pips squeak. There are games in this league where clubs are asking £30 for a ticket which for me is the absolute limit for pricing, go past that and you are totally taking the piss for the standard of football on offer .... don't get me wrong IMO its far from terrible and the last few games at ER have been very entertaining ... but it isn't football played by teams or players its worth £30 to watch.

As fans we should be the last resort when it comes to 'extra' funding, that being that we are the ones who step up to stop the club going to the wall if such a situation arises ... Apart from buying STs or walk up tickets our loyalty should not be exploited beyond the usual stuff fans tolerate like paying £44 for what is in effect a T shirt you could get for £20 in Matalan or £5.20 for a beefy drink and a pie that would cost you around £3 tops in a cafe.

I've said it before. If Ron Gordon hasn't taken over this club with at least an idea of how he can take it forward financially short of sucking the fans dry then what is the point of him? We would have been as well being fan owned with HSL turned into a fan membership scheme asking for ongoing never ending donations to keep the club going, at least then we would be in practically the same position but with the fans being directly connected to the club and more willing to ante up that money on the basis that they actually own it.

Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic, but after 6 months in charge I can't say I'm enthused by the noises, or lack of them, emanating from Easter Road. After 6 months of practically total silence I expect the club in the shape of Ron Gordon to have some extremely encouraging and positive things to say at the AGM .... not aims and goals for the club that I could reel off as my ambitions for it without going to the bother of becoming a multi millionaire, but concrete proposals the fans can understand of how the money required to achieve these aims and goals can be raised that will have us walking away thinking this club has a bright future on and off the park.

Over to you Ron.
    Good post, totally agree

I was quite upbeat about it all until I started reading this thread.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

Over to you Ron.
    Thing is that 25% of the club is actually owned by fans, either directly or through HSL. Do we just ignore that when we refer to “the owner” as if he was a single entity. Ron Gordon is “the major shareholder” in HFC but there are many hundreds of other shareholders. That becomes thousands with the HSL contribution. Do these “owners” not have a contribution to make?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Yes, Dons got out of it twice. 95 and 2000 ....
    I don't think we were due to go down in 1990. Think only one team went down in those days and we were second bottom. Actually don't think we have ever been saved from relegation by ground criteria of promoted teams or restructuring of the league unlike other clubs, memory might be playing tricks with me but honestly don't think we have.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Thing is that 25% of the club is actually owned by fans, either directly or through HSL. Do we just ignore that when we refer to “the owner” as if he was a single entity. Ron Gordon is “the major shareholder” in HFC but there are many hundreds of other shareholders. That becomes thousands with the HSL contribution. Do these “owners” not have a contribution to make?
    Who can facilitate the sale of the football club? I would assume Ron follows in footsteps of Farmer. Who decides if we erect more buildings? Ron and Hibs board? I'd assume the fans, especially due to the dilution in shares you've pointed out, have very little say on many things.

By the same argument is Jeff Bezos owner of Amazon or are all the shareholders? I'd suggest Bezos is owner with contributors (looking for dividends). We aren't owners, we wont make any profit or loss from sale of club (value of share may fluctuate). We also dont get a say when the club is sold. Very strange notion of ownership when business can be altered and sold without your input.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Who can facilitate the sale of the football club? I would assume Ron follows in footsteps of Farmer. Who decides if we erect more buildings? Ron and Hibs board? I'd assume the fans, especially due to the dilution in shares you've pointed out, have very little say on many things.

By the same argument is Jeff Bezos owner of Amazon or are all the shareholders? I'd suggest Bezos is owner with contributors (looking for dividends). We aren't owners, we wont make any profit or loss from sale of club (value of share may fluctuate). We also dont get a say when the club is sold. Very strange notion of ownership when business can be altered and sold without your input.
    Amazon doesn’t pay a dividend.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Amazon doesn’t pay a dividend.
    Fair enough, think point remains - Ron Gordon could alter and sell Hibs as he wants. Saying fans are owners of the club is pushing it very far. Shareholders fair enough but as I said in previous posts we are pretty much just along for the ride. People buy shares in Chelsea, who owns Chelsea?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    When was the last time we finished above Aberdeen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When was the last time Aberdeen won the Scottish Cup?

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Fair enough, think point remains - Ron Gordon could alter and sell Hibs as he wants. Saying fans are owners of the club is pushing it very far. Shareholders fair enough but as I said in previous posts we are pretty much just along for the ride. People buy shares in Chelsea, who owns Chelsea?
    I agree I don’t think the fans own the club and have zero interest in fan ownership personally. Give me a Jeff Bezos running the club over some committee of fans in club blazers any day.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Laughing my head off. It's some thread as you say we've not even heard from Ron Gordon yet and all sorts of comments flying around.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what he has to say and I am hoping it is a kick in the pants to the way everything is normally done .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Once it's over, we'll need to start 2 separate AGM threads.

One entitled "AGM - The Messiah is here", with the other called "AGM - Just another Ponzi scheme*.

People can post on the thread which best matches their viewpoint.

I bet I could accurately apportion a lot of names without waiting for the AGM!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I’m just not that convinced that doing your own catering can add £5m to our turnover?

I don't have Hibs' 2019 accounts yet but to do a proper comparison you need to look at the whole picture not just the top line. Aberdeen's cost of sales was £2.9m, their other operating expenses were £4.2m and they employed 144 staff of which 56 were commercial/administration and 13 were 'maintenance'. Their stock at 30 June 2019 was £653,000. They finished higher up the league and got to the League Cup final and Scottish Cup semi-final with extra games against Celtc, "Rangers" and Hearts along the way. Their operating loss was £1.029m plus interest costs of £44k.

If our 2018 accounts are anything to go by cost of sales will be negligible, commercial staff will be around 20 fewer and operating costs will be substantially lower. Hibs don't disclose their commercial income (nor will Aberdeen from now on) so we can't compare their bottom line with Aberdeen's but on the basis of the above I don't think Aberdeen's additional turnover is particularly attractive - they're just a different operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    I don't have Hibs' 2019 accounts yet but to do a proper comparison you need to look at the whole picture not just the top line. Aberdeen's cost of sales was £2.9m, their other operating expenses were £4.2m and they employed 144 staff of which 56 were commercial/administration and 13 were 'maintenance'. Their stock at 30 June 2019 was £653,000. They finished higher up the league and got to the League Cup final and Scottish Cup semi-final with extra games against Celtc, "Rangers" and Hearts along the way. Their operating loss was £1.029m plus interest costs of £44k.

If our 2018 accounts are anything to go by cost of sales will be negligible, commercial staff will be around 20 fewer and operating costs will be substantially lower. Hibs don't disclose their commercial income (nor will Aberdeen from now on) so we can't compare their bottom line with Aberdeen's but on the basis of the above I don't think Aberdeen's additional turnover is particularly attractive - they're just a different operation.
    Which is fine but their operation is putting out a team finishing higher up the league (hopefully not this year) and competing in Europe every season. I’m only really interested in different business models in respect of how good a team each one leads to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

One entitled "AGM - The Messiah is here", with the other called "AGM - Just another Ponzi scheme*.

I'd be posting on both

😉

Which is fine but their operation is putting out a team finishing higher up the league (hopefully not this year) and competing in Europe every season. I’m only really interested in different business models in respect of how good a team each one leads to.

Maybe it's just their football operation that's doing that - after all Hearts' turnover is a similar level to Aberdeen's and look how their team is doing.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!

You may get a good hit rate but speaking on behalf of fellow pessimists, we dream as well so dont be sure you'll put us in the right thread. I'd like to think while views are polarised, the dreamers and pessimists need each other for balance. Pessimists keep dreamers feet on the ground, dreamers prevent pessimists descending down a spiral. Realists just watch over shaking their head in disapproval.

Whether views are negative or positive, surely it is a good thing that people care so much about a football club to have the views in the first place? Football is rarely about facts as well, everyone gets their opinion.

AGM will come and go, things will change as Ron will outline. However, fans will remain largely the same - passionate and opinionated. Here's hoping the outcome from AGM will make us more passionate and opinionated.

Anyone sensible going who can post sensible "as live" bullet point highlights on this sensible thread?
    Last edited by Greenbeard; 26-02-2020 at 09:00 AM.

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No not really. RG could sell his shareholding in Hibs as a whole or in part - though of course the board would have to change its mind about the transfer embargo in shares .

It is a bit weird that there is an expectation that just because you own more shares than the rest you are the only one who should put hands in pockets. In fact the hands in pockets of HSL members is an example of other share owners raising funds. RG has said he is a fan of reciprocal ponying up but I guess he is a good bit ahead in terms of his contributions but continuing HSL payments can only encourage him to keep dipping into his own pocket.

However disregarding the emotional aspect of fan/HSL contributions, that kind of owner funding is not sustainable - I’m more interested in how commercial progress will help and a better product/service (however you define them) will lead to more fans attendance and purchases. I’ll be all ears tonight.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    There’s nothing like a dose of cynicism to bring you crashing back to earth.

So many Hibs fans are skeptics of Gordon and those who lived through the mercer years and all the crap before and after it are quite rightly so. It’s bound to make folk nervous when an unknown quantity takes over a club.

I didn’t see any of that and have only known Hibs as a club that may have had its down on the pitch, but have been well run off it.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    Laughing my head off. It's some thread as you say we've not even heard from Ron Gordon yet and all sorts of comments flying around.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what he has to say and I am hoping it is a kick in the pants to the way everything is normally done .

Me to. Looking forward to what he has to say. Good to have someone who has invested in the club and cleared our debt freeing up cash flow. Big focus will be on increasing revenue and the development of the academy which long term is a better investment than transfer fees and big wages.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Seeing as like me many small shareholders are also contributors to HSL I would say we do contribute to the club. But Ron Gordon by preventing HSL from being able to gain a seat on the board has made it crystal clear that this is his club and he don't want no partners.

On that basis the buck very much stops with him if things go wrong and for the above reason he can have no complaints if failure means flak comes his way. It also means that the fans are quite right in expecting him to deliver the things we want for the club.

First Team Breakthrough
    Will you be able to get parked in the main car park?

Quote Originally Posted by steelendhibs View Post
    Will you be able to get parked in the main car park?
    Was busy last night - Albion Place and St.Clair Street are great options.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Who's going to video the speech

I haven't heard anybody say the think Ron Gordon is an asset stripper in waiting, I'm 99% sure he isn't.

But what concerns me is the incredibly low key approach he has taken so far. When a new guy takes over I for one want ( expect ) an air of enthusiasm and reinvigoration to surround the club, generated by his own visible enthusiasm ..... up until now that has been far from the case.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind to some good signs like us allegedly offering £300,000 for a player recently, no doubt facilitated by Ron Gordon wiping out the debt repayments to Tom Farmer, without doubt a huge sum for us and definitely a plus on his side of the balance.

The dream of Ron Gordon's statement tonight would be to hear him say there are feasible plans in place to take the club's funding to a new level, that don't just involve getting the fans to 'pony up' and that the plans for that money are to invest it in the club in the following areas. 1) The team 2) The academy and training ground, including the indoor facility ... and 3) The stadium. I know that's a bone of contention, but it has to be part of his aims ... Easter Road is a fine stadium but it is far from the ground it could and should be, improving it has to be in the plans ... not just the pathetic PA system but having a clear and scheduled plan to fill in the corners, even if that's a fabled 5 year plan. That's what I want to hear from an enthusiastic dedicated and visionary owner.

The impression I get is that tonight what we might hear is a lot of talk about 'community' and how the fans need to contribute more if they want to see a better team on the park and absolutely nothing about plans for the stadium ..... if I leave the west stand tonight after listening to two hours of that then I will be pretty underwhelmed.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 26-02-2020 at 12:45 PM.

I think you need to make your mind up as you’ve gone on incessantly about Hearts having greater commercial income than Hibs. Despite the fact that Hibs have fielded a better team than Hearts now for the third consecutive season?

Maybe Hibs deserve some credit for reducing the gap to Aberdeen’s wage bill every year since returning to the top flight?

Official Site: AGM DATE CONFIRMED

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I think you need to make your mind up as you’ve gone on incessantly about Hearts having greater commercial income than Hibs. Despite the fact that Hibs have fielded a better team than Hearts now for the third consecutive season?

Maybe Hibs deserve some credit for reducing the gap to Aberdeen’s wage bill every year since returning to the top flight?
    I think/hope tonight will give a clearer picture of steps Hibs are taking towards improving their commercial income. People are saying it’s not a problem when it appears the club themselves have accepted it is. Looking at some of the recent job adverts the club have made tells you that. Once the club detail some of the changes tonight it will then be accepted that change was needed all along. I hope.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Is anyone planning on posting updates?