hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member

DIY painting/decorating

Moving into a new house end of this month, I’m not a very DIY kind of guy so looking for tips on how to make painting rooms go well? Can’t afford to bring someone in to do the whole place so I’ve got a guy doing the lounge and dining room, I’m going to do the rest myself obviously would like to do a good job.

Any handy DIY tips?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Moving into a new house end of this month, I’m not a very DIY kind of guy so looking for tips on how to make painting rooms go well? Can’t afford to bring someone in to do the whole place so I’ve got a guy doing the lounge and dining room, I’m going to do the rest myself obviously would like to do a good job.

Any handy DIY tips?
    Buy decent paint. The value tins tend to need a few coats while paying a little more will get a tin that will only need a couple of coats usually. Been there and learnt the lesson the hard way on this one!

I usually get someone to do it as I’m hopeless but he always says it’s in the prep that makes the difference.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I was just about to say do the preparation properly. It will depend on the condition of what is already there.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

Any handy DIY tips?
    Ask the painter if any of the walls you're doing yourself need plastered.

Clear the room of all furniture if possible, it is a big help!

Tape the skirting and roof and cut in (edges with a brush) first. Use your roller and keep in controlled and in one direction up and back. Once you're done take the tape of whilst it's still wet - slowly or you'll get tape stuck under dry paint.

You tube it if need be. It's really not hard. It's hard to be really good but take your time and prep properly and you'll be fine.

As someone else said, get good paint. I'd add get good brushes and rollers too. If they're new rollers wash them first and let them dry which stops hairs coming off in the paint.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I'd say good paint and good prep the 7 p,s really.
    Prior planning and preparation prevents a piss poor performance Haha. I also saw something about using socks for flossing things like bannister and doors. You use latex gloves then a sock over the top dip into gloss then away you go no idea if it's any good but some of the results I saw were impressive.

@hibs.net private member
    Thanks very much think the condition is quite good it’s not that old a house so I’m hoping it won’t need plastering or any filler, I’ll def take the advice of preparing I’ve made a mess before with painting roofs and ruining the walls I’ve just painted

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I hate it. But I’ve picked up a few tips.

The ****wits that lived in the house before me were the most clumsy, hashy, cack-handed pricks to ever walk the earth and should be banned for life from decorating. They were so lazy that they took the wooden sash windows that are in, slathered paint all over the fittings/ropes/glass without thinking to take the fitments off like a normal person.

Preparation: I moved into an old house and every single wall has been been painted. This involved sugar soaping the walls; full sand; filler where required; sand filled areas; decorators caulk for filling gaps between skirting and walls/corn icing and walls; paint. The preparation took me longer than the actual painting. So be prepared to spend more time than you think, but it sounds like you’re in a newer house than me.

Technique: I used pads which left a good finish, the best ones were foam/sponge type material rather than roller material. They lasted me four rooms before i replaced them and I could never get quite as even a finish. Real decorators hate them but I felt they covered more ground than rollers and didn’t leave me peppered with little specks of paint after every session.

Tools: Stanley knife, caulk and caulk gun, cheap masking tape - the cheaper the better really, sandpaper with block/gripper, expensive brushes for edge work, ***** brushes for gloss...horrible stuff, ruins brushes and it takes longer than it’s worth to clean them so either seal them in a sandwich bag wet and they’ll keep pretty well or toss them.

Paint: Valspar, valspar, valspar. Great gear, bandq do sample pots that are decent sized and will give a fair bit of coverage if you’ve got small rooms you want a particular colour - or for feature walls etc. They’ve got one called bamboo grove which is, IMO, the green that Hibs should wear. Hence my living room is that colour.

Don’t be scared to take off plugs/light swtiches, saves time and faff masking, and you get a perfect edge.

And eh, aye, ceilings first 😂
    Last edited by Jones28; 03-02-2020 at 09:30 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I hate it. But I’ve picked up a few tips.

The ****wits that lived in the house before me were the most clumsy, hashy, cack-handed pricks to ever walk the earth and should be banned for life from decorating. They were so lazy that they took the wooden sash windows that are in, slathered paint all over the fittings/ropes/glass without thinking to take the fitments off like a normal person.

Preparation: I moved into an old house and every single wall has been been painted. This involved sugar soaping the walls; full sand; filler where required; sand filled areas; decorators caulk for filling gaps between skirting and walls/corn icing and walls; paint. The preparation took me longer than the actual painting. So be prepared to spend more time than you think, but it sounds like you’re in a newer house than me.

Technique: I used pads which left a good finish, the best ones were foam/sponge type material rather than roller material. They lasted me four rooms before i replaced them and I could never get quite as even a finish. Real decorators hate them but I felt they covered more ground than rollers and didn’t leave me peppered with little specks of paint after every session.

Tools: Stanley knife, caulk and caulk gun, cheap masking tape - the cheaper the better really, sandpaper with block/gripper, expensive brushes for edge work, ***** brushes for gloss...horrible stuff, ruins brushes and it takes longer than it’s worth to clean them so either seal them in a sandwich bag wet and they’ll keep pretty well or toss them.

Paint: Valspar, valspar, valspar. Great gear, bandq do sample pots that are decent sized and will give a fair bit of coverage if you’ve got small rooms you want a particular colour - or for feature walls etc. They’ve got one called bamboo grove which is, IMO, the green that Hibs should wear. Hence my living room is that colour.

Don’t be scared to take off plugs/light swtiches, saves time and faff masking, and you get a perfect edge.

And eh, aye, ceilings first 😂
    Nice one thanks for this 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

Not really a "tip", but I'd agree with the above in the sense of being prepared to take as much time as it takes to do it properly. There's nothing worse than having rushed something for whatever reason, only to have to walk past five times a day for however long it takes you to get so annoyed you have to redo the whole thing. 99% of the time it'll probably be something that a visitor to your house won't notice...but you'll know it's there!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Not really a "tip", but I'd agree with the above in the sense of being prepared to take as much time as it takes to do it properly. There's nothing worse than having rushed something for whatever reason, only to have to walk past five times a day for however long it takes you to get so annoyed you have to redo the whole thing. 99% of the time it'll probably be something that a visitor to your house won't notice...but you'll know it's there!
    Aye I’m need to remind myself of this, I’m doing the majority before moving in and I’m already desperate to get there so need to stop myself hammering round it

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pontius pilate View Post
    I'd say good paint and good prep the 7 p,s really.
    Prior planning and preparation prevents a piss poor performance Haha. I also saw something about using socks for flossing things like bannister and doors. You use latex gloves then a sock over the top dip into gloss then away you go no idea if it's any good but some of the results I saw were impressive.
    Intrigued! How does that work?
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    Intrigued! How does that work?
    Pretty straight forward really, I know a few painter & decorators that use this technique when painting lots of railings or balusters. They'll slip on a surgical glove (purely to keep the hand clean from paint), they then put another glove with a fleecy palm (but a sock will do), dip their hand in the paint then apply the paint in a manner that will be very familiar to some (many) posters on here 😜

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Pretty straight forward really, I know a few painter & decorators that use this technique when painting lots of railings or balusters. They'll slip on a surgical glove (purely to keep the hand clean from paint), they then put another glove with a fleecy palm (but a sock will do), dip their hand in the paint then apply the paint in a manner that will be very familiar to some (many) posters on here 😜
    I've never seen or heard of this before. Here's hoping they don't get an itchy nose or 'nads during the process.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I've never seen or heard of this before. Here's hoping they don't get an itchy nose or 'nads during the process.
    There's always their free hand.
    It's not like they've gloved both and gone skiing (if you catch my drift).

B&q club members 3 for 2 on emulsion tomorrow, think its then general for all customers at the weekend.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    My only tips for painting would be don’t try it. I absolutely hate doing it and am absolutely ***** at it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    B&q club members 3 for 2 on emulsion tomorrow, think its then general for all customers at the weekend.
    Nice one il have a look over the weekend

Bought a anti drip roller set off groupon the other day hoping that helps anyone any experience with them? I’ve obviously got the classic brushes and roller at the ready for back up as previous experience tells me these will be disastrous

Nice one il have a look over the weekend

Bought a anti drip roller set off groupon the other day hoping that helps anyone any experience with them? I’ve obviously got the classic brushes and roller at the ready for back up as previous experience tells me these will be disastrous
    Look on YouTube for tips.